Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Catapult fighter?

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
1,353 posts
Just now, dmckay said:

How useful is launching a fighter when there are no carriers in the game? 

It occasionally spots something, and it acts as a canary around islands. When it dies, you know you have company.

[-S-R-]
Members
1,888 posts
2,723 battles

The fighter rotates in a smaller circle around your ships. O feel like the best way to plane spot torps is with fighter, but to spot ships use a spotter plane

[B2P]
Members
565 posts
15,235 battles

Eh, it can still extend your spotting range for torps and possibly DDs, and can also let you know what is hiding on the other side of that nearby island.

[RED]
Members
160 posts
9,962 battles

I like it for spotting. It does not change the aspect of your targeting like the spotted plane does. I find the spotter plane view annoying.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,099 posts
10,311 battles

Incredibly useful. Spot torps, ships around islands, ships firing from behind smoke. 

I wait to launch until about 18:30 on the clock, when contact becomes likely when I am driving a cruiser. 

On BB you have to be more discriminating, due to the shorter up time.

If you die, your plane will stay up and continue spotting.

As a DD I will give ships with a plane a wider berth just so I don’t stray into detection range. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,676 posts
10,809 battles
49 minutes ago, dmckay said:

How useful is launching a fighter when there are no carriers in the game? 

Launching a Catapult Fighter can see over islands to help spot ships, or spot ships if you are sitting in smoke, or help spot incoming torpedoes. So even without a CV in the game the Catapult Fighter is far from useless, I actually prefer it on ships like Yamato that already have enough gun range and the Fighter does not change how I aim like the Spotter does. So if a DD is stalking me I can pop the Fighter to spot their Torps and if I manage to see the DD I can fire Main good BBs at it without having the Spotter plane aim changes.

And on cruisers that  may get a choice between the 2 aircraft, the Spotter plane will stay up for you for like 5 minutes vs the Spotter 1 1/2 minutes. And honestly the fact you do see CVs even occasionally can make the Cat Fighter well worth it, especially with all the othe uses I listed.

• Boring 1

[UEFN]
Members
661 posts
14,411 battles
48 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Incredibly useful. Spot torps, ships around islands, ships firing from behind smoke. 

I wait to launch until about 18:30 on the clock, when contact becomes likely when I am driving a cruiser. 

On BB you have to be more discriminating, due to the shorter up time.

If you die, your plane will stay up and continue spotting.

As a DD I will give ships with a plane a wider berth just so I don’t stray into detection range. 

This.

nice to have on BB to spot DD and torps.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,948 posts
3,407 battles

IME it is :etc_swear: at spotting.  It does shoot down red spotter planes, though if you are close enough to do that then you are probably too close to the spotter's mama.

There is a 1 point skill that lets you loft two fighters at a time.  That can be useful against sky cancer.

Sign in to follow this