You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

Tier VI, West Virginia (Dev Blog)

362 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

I'd also add in that this would be better as the Maryland. She could be set up in her 1920's bright white colors that she wore during her turn on the South American diplomacy route, and have a really striking ship, right up there with the Konig Albert, and still have the West Virginia available for the late war refit people are asking for. Maybe a T8 brawler, with Colorado grade guns, but effective secondaries?

• Cool 2

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
20 minutes ago, Sidelock said:

The only hope we have right now is that CCs and Supertesters relay our concerns and ask WG to change the name. Really...... This one really will go to the books.... after Alabama i thought they learned but no, they just had to go and do this. The community has asked for WeeVee for a long time. 

Also, i beg you WG, please, if you ever put West Virginia the way we ask you, please dont do the Duke of York treatment, because i will cry.

Question: Will an slightly worse turret traverse, 1km worse concealment and the old heal of Colorado be enough to balance her? or we need something more?. Constructive answers will be welcomed.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I see two, maybe three options for WV44.

One is basically the Texas route, turn the AA to 11 in exchange for some mild nerfs to maneuverability or concealment.

Two is the Massachusetts route, maximize the secondaries and nerf the main battery just enough for balance.

Either of those should be possible at T7, and I think that is the tier that would give WG the most money, I don't believe the extra dollars for a T8 would make up for the lack of volume, until and unless the improvements they are trying to make to T8 MM go live.

The third option is to push WV up to T8 with 32mm plating, Mass style secondaries and Nelson level heal, perhaps in combination with a reduced fire burn time. The speed would still be an issue, but I could see the potential of having a true Juggernaut, grind forward and tank, type BB that would be a decent complement to the faster ships at the tier.

Matt

Members
2,873 posts
94 battles
5 hours ago, Sidelock said:

Do you all remember the Alabama debacle? When WG was going to give her only to supertesters and CCs and they couldn't because the NA forum complained and boicoted the whole thing?... Yup, i suggest we do exactly that again. Because this is an insult to the NA community.

I'm glad I joined the forums in time for another NA dramarama.

I actually laughed my [edited]off over the screeching people are doing over this annoucement going "REEE WHY U NOT GIB SUPERIOR MURRICAN BB"

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

Members
3,067 posts
2,546 battles
19 minutes ago, HarryVoyager said:

I'd also add in that this would be better as the Maryland. She could be set up in her 1920's bright white colors that she wore during her turn on the South American diplomacy route, and have a really striking ship, right up there with the Konig Albert, and still have the West Virginia available for the late war refit people are asking for. Maybe a T8 brawler, with Colorado grade guns, but effective secondaries?

I echo that, in addition changing her to Maryland, give her an unique historic camo based on the 1920s Pan-American Diplomacy tour.

#WV44
#WeeVeeGate

• Cool 2

[-BMV-]
Members
579 posts
21,614 battles
44 minutes ago, mobryan said:

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I see two, maybe three options for WV44.

One is basically the Texas route, turn the AA to 11 in exchange for some mild nerfs to maneuverability or concealment.

Two is the Massachusetts route, maximize the secondaries and nerf the main battery just enough for balance.

Either of those should be possible at T7, and I think that is the tier that would give WG the most money, I don't believe the extra dollars for a T8 would make up for the lack of volume, until and unless the improvements they are trying to make to T8 MM go live.

The third option is to push WV up to T8 with 32mm plating, Mass style secondaries and Nelson level heal, perhaps in combination with a reduced fire burn time. The speed would still be an issue, but I could see the potential of having a true Juggernaut, grind forward and tank, type BB that would be a decent complement to the faster ships at the tier.

Matt

I see. Thanks

29 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I'm glad I joined the forums in time for another NA dramarama.

I actually laughed my [edited]off over the screeching people are doing over this annoucement going "REEE WHY U NOT GIB SUPERIOR MURRICAN BB"

It's not about Superior Murican BB (hell im not even from the US, i live in the middle of some ocean, in a raft, i power my pc with solar batteries and a hamster who's dangerously close to been eaten). You could give West Virginia all the nerfs you want, ill still buy her. Why?, Simply because many here want to see her (me included obviously), because of her history and what it means for some players, just like Haida is important for Canadian players who were hoping to see her for a long time. No one is asking for another Belfast or Graf Zeppelin here. What many asks is simply to change the name and in due time, give us the ship many are asking from long ago.

Edited by Sidelock
  • Cool 1

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
14 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

I echo that, in addition changing her to Maryland, give her an unique historic camo based on the 1920s Pan-American Diplomacy tour.

#WV44
#WeeVeeGate

For those that are not familiar with the paint scheme, since it's been mentioned several times:

image.thumb.png.009a53cf69cff626fb8a85edf0d8991a.png

image.thumb.png.cbb141777fe6e45324913f14c3a1fc32.png

The Great White Fleet, Roaring '20s Edition...

Matt

Edited by mobryan
  • Cool 3

[-BMV-]
Members
579 posts
21,614 battles
13 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

#WV44
#WeeVeeGate

10534824.jpg.49671061eae573ba13f29b3191ede2fb.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
2,873 posts
94 battles
4 hours ago, mofton said:

mofton: 'Ashitaka was also a mistake'

Kiyo 'IJN Martyr' Senkan: 'some rabid nonsense about bias'

I actually find Kiyo's antics really funny to watch. First thing he'll go rabid on how "IJN DDs are so underpowered" or "I adapt to radar by only playing at T5", now he's going over his IJN bias. 
I find T6 Mutsu acceptable, since I do like how A-hull Nagato looks, and she works fine in her tier spread.

1 minute ago, Sidelock said:

it's not about Superior Murican BB (hell im not even from the US, i live in the middle of some ocean, in a raft). You could give West Virginia all the nerfs you want, ill still buy her. Why?, Simply because many here want to see her (me included obviously), becasue of her history and what it means for someone, like Haida. No one is asking for another Belfast or Graf Zeppelin here. What many asks is simply to change the name and in due time, give us the ship many are asking from long ago.

I've read a CC here mentioning renaming WeeVee to Maryland instead. Well, that could work too. 
Still I find this debacle popcorn-worthy.

• Meh 1

[-BMV-]
Members
579 posts
21,614 battles
2 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I've read a CC here mentioning renaming WeeVee to Maryland instead. Well, that could work too. 

It's what we're asking. To rename her Maryland and leave West Virginia alone to be introduced in the future in the shape and form we all want. Her 1944 refit incarnation. I know this whole thing looks funny, but then again, this is a matter of principles. If we leave this be, then Wargaming can actually do what they want, ignoring the playerbase completely and with absolutely no consequences (i know, this sound idealistic, 1 player opinion can't do anything nor stopping any decision at all, but i like to believe).

I hate this, that's why im even posting so much. I usually don't do this, i'm more of the quiet type, but this is infuriating. I believe Wargaming has done an excellent job by creating WOWS. Its my favourite game so far, and one i almost exclusively play everyday. I believe they do a lot of good things. An example would be the recent raffle event. When i saw T-22 been one of the required ships i cringed. I hated that ship, it was horrible, however after taking her for a spin again, with a 10 pt captain, i discovered how good that ship actually is, and enjoyed her a lot. The event actually made me love a ship i hated. 

That's why im so angry and dissapointed. They know (i'm sure they do), how much some here have asked for this ship (me included), and yet, they ignore this and actually force their decision knowing full well what it means.

Edited by Sidelock

[COTTN]
Members
14 posts
434 battles

If you look past aesthetics and how the ship presented in the game being a mockery of her historical final refit, the ship itself is objectively quite (if not stupidly) powerful for its tier.

• Full-fat 406mm shell, no WWI shell syndrome with standard reload and sigma
  • Decent handling, slightly worse than New Mexico when it comes to turn radius
  • Most importantly, the 12.4km base concealment is absurd. If the value has already included camoflague the max concealment would be 10.7km, and 10.3km if the provided values does not include the camoflague bonus. Have fun playing Pensacola (12.1km max concealment) against this thing when this humble little WeeVee outspots you in excess of 1km. :fish_nerv:
  • The only potential downsides of this ship would be the potentially complete lack of AA in her stock form.

I would agree that the ship in this state does not deserve to be in T6, but for a different reason. :Smile_coin:

Edited by _natsuyuki
  • Cool 1

Members
924 posts
6,538 battles
19 minutes ago, _natsuyuki said:

If you look past aesthetics and how the ship presented in the game being a mockery of her historical final refit, the ship itself is objectively quite (if not stupidly) powerful for its tier.

• Full-fat 406mm shell, no WWI shell syndrome with standard reload and sigma
  • Decent handling, slightly worse than New Mexico when it comes to turn radius
  • Most importantly, the 12.4km base concealment is absurd. If the value has already included camoflague the max concealment would be 10.7km, and 10.3km if the provided values does not include the camoflague bonus. Have fun playing Pensacola (12.1km max concealment) against this thing when this humble little WeeVee outspots you in excess of 1km. :fish_nerv:
  • The only potential downsides of this ship would be the potentially complete lack of AA in her stock form.

I would agree that the ship in this state does not deserve to be in T6, but for a different reason. :Smile_coin:

Don’t disagree with any of this that’s why I think a change of name to Maryland would be better. The ship itself looks like it would be a great tier 6 much better than Mutsu. But people have wanted the refit West Virginia for a long time and if she comes into the game like this that would kill that idea. 

• Cool 1

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,256 battles
21 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I actually find Kiyo's antics really funny to watch. First thing he'll go rabid on how "IJN DDs are so underpowered" or "I adapt to radar by only playing at T5", now he's going over his IJN bias. 
I find T6 Mutsu acceptable, since I do like how A-hull Nagato looks, and she works fine in her tier spread.

Some really excellent trolling.

Keep going. Taking notes on how to troll properly. 

• Funny 1

[UNHLY]
Members
3,487 posts
26,648 battles
6 hours ago, mobryan said:

For those that are not familiar with the paint scheme, since it's been mentioned several times:

image.thumb.png.009a53cf69cff626fb8a85edf0d8991a.png

image.thumb.png.cbb141777fe6e45324913f14c3a1fc32.png

The Great White Fleet, Roaring '20s Edition...

Matt

Great idea,  people will buy both ships hell USS Maryland looks great in white, WG makes lots of money its win win situation all round :Smile_great:

regards 

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,589 posts
4,730 battles

The Refit could work at Tier 7, sure her AA suit is superior to Colorado but so is Texas in regards to New York. So what if she ends up more powerful than her tech tree counterpart. Wouldnt be the first time. 

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,947 posts
11,264 battles
11 hours ago, Sidelock said:

Do you all remember the Alabama debacle? When WG was going to give her only to supertesters and CCs and they couldn't because the NA forum complained and boicoted the whole thing?... Yup, i suggest we do exactly that again. Because this is an insult to the NA community.

Your recollection is mistaken.  Alabama was only going to be issued to specific Supertesters exactly in the same manner as Alabama ST has been distributed.  It is a reward ship given only to those Supertesters who have gone above and beyond  to ensure the quality of the game.  It was never going to be given to Supertesters as a whole and Community Contributors were never going to get it. 

10 hours ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

A lot of people won’t like it but I agree. If you buffed her other soft stats and gave her 32mm exterior you might get her to work at tier 8. The speed would be a real hindrance but at least you wouldn’t have another premium being better than her tech tree counterpart. 

This is what I'm pushing for.  Her 21 knot top speed gives a lot of room for gimmicks and balance tweaks.  A Tier 8 Colorado-class with tweaked main battery, Massachusetts-inspired secondaries and modified Defensive AA Fire and Repair Party consumables?  Sign me up.  She'd never be the darling of the competitive scene, but she'd be a blast to play in randoms, co-op and scenarios.

• Cool 7

[-BMV-]
Members
579 posts
21,614 battles
21 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Your recollection is mistaken.  Alabama was only going to be issued to specific Supertesters exactly in the same manner as Alabama ST has been distributed.  It is a reward ship given only to those Supertesters who have gone above and beyond  to ensure the quality of the game.  It was never going to be given to Supertesters as a whole and Community Contributors were never going to get it. 

Mea culpa. Apparently my memory has degraded quite a lot then. Oh well part of life. As such i apologize.

21 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

This is what I'm pushing for.  Her 21 knot top speed gives a lot of room for gimmicks and balance tweaks.  A Tier 8 Colorado-class with tweaked main battery, Massachusetts-inspired secondaries and modified Defensive AA Fire and Repair Party consumables?  Sign me up.  She'd never be the darling of the competitive scene, but she'd be a blast to play in randoms, co-op and scenarios.

I like this idea a lot. If i may ask one thing of you and if your proposal gets accepted, the Repair Party consumable, please don't let it be like Okt. Rev. Nothing would made me cry more than a limited Repair on T-8. Aside fron that i, in a very enthusiastic way, support this idea.

Edited by Sidelock

[4HIM]
Members
3,421 posts
16,568 battles

I'd give this one a pass.  I have enough 21kt BB's and I don't see this version bringing anything to the table I don't already have.  And with pre-Pearl AA levels, it will be nothing but a port queen once the CV rework drops and we have SkyCancerpalooza for a couple months.  With the 44 refit it could be like the Texas of T7.  

Members
480 posts
4,682 battles

I find it funny how American BBs still keep their historical speed, while some ships like Lyon go a full 5 knots faster than her real life proposal, which is impossible.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,193 posts
26,991 battles
4 minutes ago, AyanoMidori said:

I find it funny how American BBs still keep their historical speed, while some ships like Lyon go a full 5 knots faster than her real life proposal, which is impossible.

Don't forget Bayern.

Supertester, Wiki Editor
349 posts
10,918 battles

I mean yay hopefully it’s available for gold purchase but I don’t see why why we have it as pre Pearl. We already have 2 standards (don’t get me wrong keep throwing standards at me) at tier 6 and donwe really need a third with 16 inch guns that is in the exact same configuration as the Colorado at tier 7? What’s the differences going to be? I would’ve rathered a different post topic talking about a freemium USS California post Pearl Harbor for t7 with a more secondary focus or AA focus which seems a lot more balanced than just another Colorado with downgraded specs

[COTTN]
Members
14 posts
434 battles
57 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Don't forget Bayern.

Bayern is kind of crap even with artificially boosted speed.

Her 381mm is overrated.