You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper

New Bote: USS Wichita

51 comments in this topic

[_-_]
Members
1,636 posts

Tier 8? Nope, not going there. Never again. I get my daily up-tiering flagellation from Prinz Eugen and Kutuzov, tyvm.

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,613 battles
Just now, CG11_HoleSnipe said:

Tier 8? Nope, not going there. Never again. I get my daily up-tiering flagellation from Prinz Eugen and Kutuzov, tyvm.

They claim they’re fixin that

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles

Bah posted while i was pulling mine together. Humbug.

Basically stealthier and more wiggly than Baltimore, but lower RoF.

[POP]
Beta Testers
3,554 posts
5,306 battles

so for now what makes her apart from baltimore?

Edited by Cruxdei

Members
2,112 posts
4,748 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

so for now what makes her apart from cleveland?

It is a heavy cruiser, so lots of difference from Cleveland. :P

I assume you are trying to say Baltimore though, and the guy above you answered that.

[CVA16]
Members
2,918 posts
10,688 battles

So what does the Wichita have that allows it to compete with the Baltimore (and other T8s for that matter). Better concealment isn't really enough.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,335 posts
11,284 battles

It will be interesting to see if the better speed (34kt to 32.5kt) and concealment (about 9.1km, similar to Cleveland) will offset dropping to 5 from 6 RPM, the worse AA and the loss of 4,500hp compared to Baltimore.

A Cleveland with her poor shell arcs radar-ing you at 9km on the edge of her stealth is one thing, a ship with USN AP is a bit of another.

Situational, potent but ultimately a T8 cruiser in a world of T10 matchmaking.

Interesting that people claim that BB's are the moneymakers, hence 2 more RN BB's are sensible, when the same day the USN have a cruiser announced to go with the WIP Alaska.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
587 posts
1,246 battles

Seems like most T8 premium cruisers get Repair Party...not this one?  Heck, even Boise has RP at T7...

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,613 battles
1 minute ago, CG11_HoleSnipe said:

Time will tell. It ain't real till it's real.

I agree but they noticed you me and a lot of other friends stopped playing/buying tier 8 ships

• Cool 1

Members
1,367 posts
7,845 battles
8 minutes ago, mofton said:

It will be interesting to see if the better speed (34kt to 32.5kt) and concealment (about 9.1km, similar to Cleveland) will offset dropping to 5 from 6 RPM, the worse AA and the loss of 4,500hp compared to Baltimore.

A Cleveland with her poor shell arcs radar-ing you at 9km on the edge of her stealth is one thing, a ship with USN AP is a bit of another.

Situational, potent but ultimately a T8 cruiser in a world of T10 matchmaking.

Interesting that people claim that BB's are the moneymakers, hence 2 more RN BB's are sensible, when the same day the USN have a cruiser announced to go with the WIP Alaska.

not much different than what the old NO use to do. 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,002 posts
22 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

She's the one-off CA concept cruiser before the Baltimore class.

Members
855 posts
3,736 battles
26 minutes ago, CG11_HoleSnipe said:

Amen to that! The biggest waste of money EVER.... I have tons of t8 and I regret every last one of them. They will never get 50 dollars out of me for another t8 until they fix MM. 

• Cool 2

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
246 posts
9,568 battles

This will be interesting if they give her worse reload than baltimore, but let her have a heal, sort of like hipper / prinz eugen. Right now, I would rather play the baltimore than this, simply because of the rpm.

Or, take away the radar, give her option to mount main battery reload. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
36 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

She's waaay more maneuverable the baltimore too. She may be able to play wiggly open water fighting games.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
587 posts
1,246 battles
2 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

This will be interesting if they give her worse reload than baltimore, but let her have a heal, sort of like hipper / prinz eugen. Right now, I would rather play the baltimore than this, simply because of the rpm.

Or, take away the radar, give her option to mount main battery reload. 

If they added a heal (repair party), that would be helpful, as repair party is the one thing most T8 cruisers don't have when facing their T9/T10 counterparts that do.  It may not be as big of a deal if they do indeed fix the T8 matchmaking, though.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,089 posts
16,435 battles

TLDR

So, from early stat comparisons, what do you get for Wichita compared to Baltimore?

- Baltimore guns that fire slower.

- Better turning circle radius than Baltimore but worse rudder shift.  Marginally faster.

- Good AA but Baltimore will be better.  However, your long range AA, which is the most important, is just as good as Baltimore's.

- Will be the Stealthiest of all the Tier VIII Cruisers.  Will be the only CA in the game with Radar that goes past her concealment range in a Stealth Build.  This is normally the realm of ships like High Tier USN CLs and RN CLs Edinburgh, Minotaur.  Not even the USN CAs like DM have Radar range that's better than their concealment range.  What we get with Wichita is not only an American CA, but an...

13YC0Ik.jpg

Explanation below:

Spoiler

Main armament-wise, Wichita was equipped with the newer generation of USN 203mm guns like those on Baltimore-class, not the older ones as found on Pensacola, New Orleans.  This is a big difference, because this means Wichita's gun behavior, shell flight characteristics will be similar to Baltimore and not the more level shooting NOLA / Pensacola.  But NOLA / Pensacola don't have SHS shells.  I expect Wichita to have the SHS shells of High Tier USN CAs.

Statistically from WG's Wichita Devblog and Baltimore's Wiki entry, they share the same HE / AP shell damage, shell velocities, gun range, turret traverse, and fire chance.  Wichita has 10m worse dispersion than Baltimore.  That's not a big deal to me as 10m worse dispersion for TRUE CRUISER guns is irrelevant.  However, Wichita has 12 second reload compared to 10 seconds on Baltimore.  That's a big deal to me, as the 10 seconds on Baltimore is a key feature.  In contrast, Buffalo in Tier IX that people complain about her rate of fire has 13 seconds.  Another complaint with the slower firing Buffalo is that when she's forced to fight with only 2 turrets, the longer reload really holds her back.

Anti-Aircraft?  Baltimore is better.

Slightly worse but still equivalent long range AA capability as Baltimore.  This is still good to go.

Medium range AA DPS on Wichita is a lot worse.  Total 3.51km Baltimore AA DPS is 190.8.  Total Wichita AA DPS at that range is 109 DPS.

Short range AA DPS is also worse on Wichita compared to Baltimore.  Total 2km AA DPS for Baltimore is 82.8.  Wichita in the same parameter is 65 DPS.

In AA, her short and medium range AA is very similar to VII NOLA, but her long range AA is still pretty darn close to Baltimore.  The reason is that she received the same 127mm Dual Purpose guns as Baltimore and newer USN CAs and BBs, which the older Cruisers did not.  Does this make Wichita's AA terrible?  No way.  You want terrible AA, look at the IJN ships.  Wichita's AA will still be good to go, but it's not "Airplanes-B-Gone" quality like Baltimore.  Pop Defensive Fire and the CV will regret coming close to Wichita.

Okay, so Wichita has slightly worse AA and Main Battery than Baltimore.  What does she have going for her?

(Wichita / Baltimore)

Speed 34kts / 32.5kts.  Wichita is marginally better here.

Turning Circle Radius 680m / 730m.  For Non-BBs, the lower the better.

Rudder shift 9.8 seconds / 7.8 seconds.  Baltimore is a lot better on the Rudder shift.

Concealment.  Stealthiest of all the Tier VIII Cruisers.  (Surface Detection / Air Detection)

Wichita 11.3km / 7.7km

Baltimore 12.06km / 9.06km

Edinburgh 11.7km / 8.13km

Edinburgh as it stands on Live Server, fully released Tier VIII Cruisers, is the stealthiest.  With a Stealth Build, Edinburgh goes down to 9km surface detection range.  This is CRUCIAL as a Radar Edinburgh matches 9.1km stealth with 9km Radar range.  Wichita will be stealthier than even Edinburgh, while still packing essentially Baltimore's hard hitting, but slower firing guns.

f7Wltrc.jpg

Proof for what Edinburgh's concealment is in Stealth Build.  Wichita will be sneakier.

What do I see Wichita good for?

In pure gun play, Baltimore is way better.  I'm sorry, 10 seconds vs 12 is a Big Deal to me, especially when you can't fire all your turrets.  However, Wichita will have unsurpassed CA Stealth.  No CA will be as sneaky as her, and consider that she packs Baltimore guns and likely the same SHS AP shells, this will surprise some people.  So I foresee Wichita excelling in surprise attacks, as well as more safely getting into Radar position that Radar CAs with their worse detection have a harder time doing.  I foresee this ship being more useful to sneak into good gun positions and lay in with her guns if Radar tactics aren't being utilized.

Basically, you got with Wichita a Stealthy CL-qualities but packing High Tier USN CA guns and SHS AP.  But she will not have the reload of the CLs nor the reload of Baltimore.  But it will be enough that some guys are going to be in for nasty surprises, in particular Smoke Cruisers.  DDs won't like it either, another Cruiser with Radar better than its concealment range.  However, Wichita has 12 second reloads which is pretty slow in relation to Radar active time.  Another useful thing with her amazing stealth is she can disappear when things look too stupid to stay and fight.  In contrast, typical CAs like Baltimore, Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper will have a harder time fading away.  Not Wichita.  She has American Ninja Stealth.

As a Tier VIII, if she should be Top Tier against Tier VI-VII ships, especially Cruisers, she'll be terrifying.  She'll sneak up in ranges that not even Myoko will outspot, and then blast away at <10km with Baltimore style guns and AP.  If she's bottom tier in a Tier X match where things can quickly, easily go t**s up for a Tier VIII Cruiser, she has amazing stealth to control her engagements.  If Wichita doesn't want to be seen, she won't be seen.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,807 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

They claim they’re fixin that

They said that they were fixing the CV system... that only took them what... 2-3 years? lol

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,613 battles
22 minutes ago, Merlox said:

They said that they were fixing the CV system... that only took them what... 2-3 years? lol

But people actually play tier 8 ships and you might notice they plan on selling more. They’ll fix it sooner than the cvs