Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

What if?....

6 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,509 posts
12,822 battles

SO I was watching today "Mingles with Jingles" (shameless plug!  It's to be get be longer breaks in the salt mines!)  and this thought wandered through my brain, got caught on a neuron and I was able to interrogate it before it got free and ran off.  Several synapse firings later the following formed it's self in a most nebulous fashion .

So what if there were a tier 9+ versions of every ship class currently in game from tier 5/6 forward?  Wouldn't that be interesting?   You go to ranked or clan battles and instead of the same 3 to 6 ship classes you see all the time that you all know how to fight and are so utterly predictable in how they play and are played you had instead 20 to 30 ships per class to choose from?  That's right 90 to 100 ships not counting premiums and specials.   I like spice and variety they say is the spice of life.    What would the tier 10 version of say a Kongo have?  Jingles brought up a point.  In world of warships a ship is a ship is a ship and any ship can sink any other ship.  Remember back in the day when there were not tier restriction in divisions where you could say bring your nasty vicious amazingly stealthy (under 5 Km!) fast torp firing (4 torps every 24 seconds range 8 Km, detected at 1.1) hard to detect tier II Umikaze to a tier X match and torture Yamato drivers?  I don't know about you guys but that was about the most fun you could possibly have and oh the tier X player got sooooo salty about it because they knew they were at a rather severe disadvantage  (This was long before radar, but even now a smart Umikaze player could really mess with current stock of tier X ship and those who drive them)

What would a tier X version of the say the  Kuma or the Furutaka have as a tier X to allow it to compete?    How about a Furutaka refit that hass traded in it's  3 twin mount 203's for triple mount 155's? Maybe a touch better reload time on the torpedo, or switching it to the 12 K type 3's.  How about 1944/45 levels of AA by replacing some of those triple 25mm AA mounts with twin 40MM bofors knockoff's, and the 127's twin mounts AAA  with faster firing longer ranged twin 100 MM mounts as an example.   And then of course the additional upgrade modules could drastically improve the ships performance by improving gun range etc. Remember this is not a"Sim".  The game doesn't have to balance historically, just against it's self.

Love to hear what some of you would consider a tier X refit of your favorite lower tier ships.  Most refits wouldn't be as radical as what I would consider  for a tier X Furutaka (which would need a bit of love to fit into a tier X match)  Base your tier X refit off of whats all ready in game so there's a "logical"progression but lets see what you guys can come up with..  Please just one ship per post.. I did the Furutaka which is one of my all time favorite ships still.

Warlord sends

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles

It would need a separate game mode, but I don't see why that could not be done.

10 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

What would a tier X version of the say the  Kuma or the Furutaka have as a tier X to allow it to compete?

Exocet. :Smile_hiding:

Treat the missile as a 12 inch super-heavy shell with Stalingrad autobounce angles and have it go for the centre of visible mass; RNG can roll for citadel hits, and remaining propellant guarantees one fire if the area is not already lit. Most cruisers and battleships at T10 could survive that, and some of the bigger destroyers probably could as well. DFAA with starting air DPM of > 100 has a 10% shootdown chance per missile at engagement ranges beyond 10km. No reloads, so fire your missiles wisely. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,509 posts
12,822 battles

I have.  Kitakami, an extensively refitted Kuma class light scout cruiser that was in the game early and then yanked from game because  most players that ran it didn't play with their brains and the ship was as dangerous to it's own team if not more so then the opposing team!  And it was such a one trick pony!   Put a spread of 20 torps in the water, make a 180 degree turn and put another load of 20 torps in the water from the other side of the ship.. then go find someplace to be un-noticed for the next 3-4 minutes while your torpedo's launchers reloaded.  The only ship in the game obviously dedicated to the warhammer  universe god of chaos Khorn!  The thing was a beast.

The whole point here is to envision a way of having a greater variety of ships, with out having to rely on totally paper designs or something created out of whole cloth..   I've always hated seeing "U.S.S. Never Sailed" in games.   Out there in the real world those same older ships that were designed and built in the 1920's and 30's served until the end of WW-II and in a few remarkable situations past world war II, albeit with modifications and refits.  U.S.S. Texas is a fine example of a long service battleship.  A number of UK ships also qualify.  Germany not so much as they had to build pretty much a whole new navy starting in the 1930's.  Japan how ever has a good many candidate ships as historically if it worked, and could be refitted for less then the cost of building a brand new ship that is exactly what they did.  The Kongo class fast battleships are an excellent example of this.  Was also done to the Furutaka's, the Kuma's, the Nagato's the Kongo's and Ise classes, and even the mighty Fuso super dreadnought class Battleships.

But this isn't about historical, this is about providing more ways to have more ships in game with variations in capability with out the dev teams having to build new ship models from scratch that much sooner.  some of the tier 7,8 and 9 ship would see a small change reflecting upgrades in gun fire control and direction, improvements to the AA and AAA suites.  improvements to "sensor" systems and the like and of course the all important upgrade slots to allow them to be competitive.

I don't understand how this is difficult this is to understand when we have an example right now in game in the DD line with the Akizuki>Kitakaze>Harugumo

the Kitakaze's (improved or super Akizuki's) did enter service (one or two ships) but Harugumo..  there might have been plans for the ship but I don't think they even ever got to laying a keel for one. 

What would you do with a Fuso?.. replace the twin mount 14" guns with single mount 18.1" or 20" (japan did try to build 20"+ gun, but a war happened and development was suspended.)  and improve the AA and AAA.  Not talking about pie in the sky "refits" but something that could have been plausible had the resources been available to do so. 

Sign in to follow this