Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Map Mondays - Strait

19 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,133 posts
6,802 battles

image.png

What's your plan when battling the enemy fleet on the map Strait?

Whether its a Standard Battle or Domination Mode, there are different strategies to employ on this map to give your team a tactical advantage.

In addition, there are places on the map that are essential for controlling the game early and maintaining control of both the map and the battle.

The map is Strait and your fleet needs to gain the upper hand, what's your move?

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." - Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy

#mapmonday

#anchorsaweigh

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,078 battles

Your version of straights seems odd, doesn't have the gap between the left islands from the middle.

• Cool 1

[MWM]
Supertester
299 posts
7,391 battles

I would shift to B/C since our BB and CV are already closest to those caps and with our 2 DDs top I would have 1 scout A to see what's coming and the other go B getting torps ready for D6 Area and just use them to deny the area. I mean to win you only need to caps so why get greedy and try to take them all. 

• Cool 1

[MWM]
Supertester
299 posts
7,391 battles
7 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Your version of straights seems odd, doesn't have the gap between the left islands from the middle.

it's the old version of the map from a few years back. 

• Cool 1

Members
5,212 posts
6,021 battles
6 minutes ago, MaraMalkavian said:

Ah yes, the "everyone swarm to the side of the map that our base is on" map, leaving a slow moving American CV to get caught undefended.

To be fair, it's a sound strategy. It causes the "defending" side to have a numbers advantage over the "attackers". Once the attackers are dealt with, the rest of the enemy team has to come to you if they want a chance to win. And with the layout of the map, the enemy team has to come to you in piecemeal. The strategy fails, because it's usually poorly executed. If both teams employ this strategy, then you just have a normal standard battle game.

More than that, strait isn't a good map. It's designed to set up collapses, with its split spawns and tall terrain that doesn't allow for assistance from the other spawn. Strait would be greatly improved if they'd do away with the split team spawns.

• Cool 3

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

In Standard Battle mode with the green base being North and the red being South, it's a certainty that most of the players who're on the north side will rush off South, leaving only 2 players to defend the Green base. And then they will dump salt on those two players for being unable to prevent half the Red team from getting into the base. This happens so often that I almost consider it to be Standard Operating Procedure when playing Straits in Standard mode. I expect it every time and am seldom disappointed. 

In Domination mode, most of the DDs on both teams will rush into B and get quickly deleted. And/or half of a team will charge into B, get caught in the inevitable crossfire, and are massacred.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,780 posts
4,642 battles

A 45 degree rotation of the island geometry on this map would allow the split spawn to work much better, and give teams a lot more area to work with in the standard battle mode.  I think it would make play on this map much more comfortable all around.

Otherwise, I have to agree with @GhostSwordsman's conclusion.  Currently, it isn't a good map design.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,945 posts
19,191 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

image.png

What's your plan when battling the enemy fleet on the map Strait?

Whether its a Standard Battle or Domination Mode, there are different strategies to employ on this map to give your team a tactical advantage.

In addition, there are places on the map that are essential for controlling the game early and maintaining control of both the map and the battle.

The map is Strait and your fleet needs to gain the upper hand, what's your move?

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." - Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy

#mapmonday

#anchorsaweigh

That's an old version of Strait.  There should be a gap in the island at EF7.

Furthermore, I don't really like how this map plays.  It's not the map itself, per se.  It's the location of the spawns and caps.   IMO, this map would be better with the spawns located in the NE and SW, and have the ships at spawn aimed directly at the center of the map so that they could choose to go to their right or left (through the nearest channel) with equal ease.  And the domination caps placed in the center, and then the other 2 caps placed to the NW and SE of the center cap.  Or for Standard mode, place the team caps where the A and C caps are on the above map.

Frankly, the split spawns on this map serious ruin many battles when you have players abandoning their side of the map.  

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
370 posts
7,668 battles

Without getting into if it is a good map or not, my preferences are:

• Standard -- ideal is to get the fleet to the same side where the cap is...easier said than done as there are always some who do their own thing, and even when it is executed many times slower ships or ships that are further away from the north-south lanes get spotted and focused by enemy pushing forward.  Which to me is why this plan doesn't usually work great (need faster ships getting out of there, or smoked by DD on that side to screen their escape).
  • Domination -- I stay on the side I spawn and typically angle to go outside the cap, keeping a good angle and being ready to react when the enemy appears.  Unless I'm a DD I typically run 1/2 speed (BB) or 3/4 speed (cruiser) until assessing the enemy force layout.
  • Cool 1

[XXX]
[XXX]
Members
29 posts
13,190 battles

The split spawn maps are all kinda terrible.  Far more evident in standard mode than domination.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,575 posts
20,050 battles

Please don't change this into yet another copy/paste Mountain Range/Tears clone...what's the problem w/having a split spawn map for a change from the same exact map type every single battle?

It doesn't even show up in high tiers so please don't make a bunch of tears about it & get it changed to yet another Tears clone map.

This map is perfectly fine...& it's fun if for nothing else than not being the same old thing over & over again.

I myself personally will never go from A-C or C-A at the start in any mode...just a waste of time being out of battle too long (I don't play CV though so that would be the only exception to me where that would be a viable starting move but then only if your team is short of payers on the red team's base side at start in standard). If there's a 7-5 split of forces in standard & I'm on the red base side w/only 5 I'll head to center as opposed to going completely behind the islands at start to help spot & hinder from center & flank any reds trying to push our base instead of leaving our front line base defenders having to fight off a red team push & having to wait minutes for me to go all the way around the islands to even be able to help.

In domination I will head to the little island(s) at the far edges of A or C cap for cover on whichever side I spawn (although small they do provide more cover than the wide open & allow you to be up front to support team (exception BBs in a DD heavy match...will hang back a bit further than that until reds torps are spotted & proceed from there).

In co-op I will head center on this map in domination in any ship if we spawn in west w/a CV because the bot CVs always camp in middle & w/the gap that is now between the big center eastern island you can pretty much land right in the CVs lap at the beginning...this sometimes even works in random mode but advise only tryin in a stealthy DD or CL (for good maneuverability between all the little islands) if you got the skills to pull it off & a good knowledge of where reds are & where red planes are so you don't get spotted & concentrated before you can pull it off.

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,599 posts
3,603 battles

Stay on your side of the map and either hold the enemy till your teammates win on the other side or win your side and go help your team on the other side. Doesn't matter if it standard or domination

Trying to join up had also always failed because it requires team work, instead the team just yolos leaving the BBs behind. The only times I've seen or works is when the other team screws up bad

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
722 posts
10,493 battles

I hat.. (cough).. dislike people running for the other side. Usually I angle for the sides  and the little bit of island cover there is and retreat the same way if things get too hot.

Members
24 posts
569 battles

The North and South fleets should focus winning their respective sides.  If the other team goes to B to cap, cool, it's one less destroyer you're contending with.  Once (if) you take your side, you sail south.  If there's one red ship left, you start moving to the middle to support the other side of the map and push the B Cap.  I've seen BBs try to go from north to south and it takes 4 minutes for them to get into position to fire, instead of being in action on their own side.

Sign in to follow this