You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merlox

375k free xp ship ideas.

31 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,796 battles

Hey all.

With 2 more tier 9 free xp ships coming out. (Alaska, Jean Bart.) What do you guys feel would be good tier 7 free xp ship? Currently the Nelson is the only ship in the market but theres a ton of other historical ships they could put in there. 

For me I would really love to see some of the last of the unique British cruisers. Maybe the British County Heavy class cruisers, the dido light cruiser (though this one I feel might be a over tiered for what it was.)

Or the USS California! (We dont have any tier 7 us premium battleships.)

Theres plenty more of ships that would fit, what do you all think?

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 1

Members
22 posts
4,367 battles

Kinda agree due to the fact that USN had only tier 8 premium bbs that get sucked into tier 10 all the time. Tier 7 free xp USN battleship might be a good idea :)

Members
685 posts
4,614 battles

I wouldn't mind one of the odd-duck DD's, something that wouldn't fit in a regular tech tree. Admiral Scheer in her final configuration with heavy AA suite would be enjoyable, though she would need some tweaking so she fit into tier 7 better than a Graf Spee clone would.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,332 posts
11,284 battles

The casus belli for making Nelson an FXP premium was her design history. Originally intended to go into the RN battleship line, but didn't work out, so was canned in lieu of Mongrel. In order to reduce outcry WG went with making her FXP rather than purely monetized.

Ships in the same vein might have been the De Grasse. She was an odd choice for a T6 premium - she might have been planned for the line at T7. I would guess there might be occasional ships like that, there was no clear ship in that role for the British destroyer line. The fact that there's a possibly premium Indomitable in the British carrier line and she's quite between Illustrious-Indomitable-Implacable might mean she can stand into the line if needed.

I don't know if WG really want to do T7 FXP ships at all, just one so far. I'm not quite sure how they want to do the T9 ones, it looks like we're getting two US ones, a Japanese, a Russian and a French - so not much spread on nations. There's also been three battleships and two 'large cruisers', no destroyers - maybe next year.

For T7 FXP there's no real difference from ships people want otherwise as premiums. I'd like a Sheffield or Cavalier. I do think Dido's a T5-T6.

Edited by mofton

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,566 posts
7,888 battles
19 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Hey all.

With 2 more tier 9 free xp ships coming out. (Alaska, Jean Bart.) What do you guys feel would be good tier 7 free xp ship? Currently the Nelson is the only ship in the market but theres a ton of other historical ships they could put in there. 

For me I would really love to see some of the last of the unique British cruisers. Maybe the British County Heavy class cruisers, the dido light cruiser (though this one I feel might be a over tiered for what it was.)

Theres plenty more of ships that would fit, what do you all think?

well, for one thing, we dont know 100% that both JB and Alaska will be for Free XP

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,880 posts
10,447 battles
1 minute ago, mofton said:

The casus belli for making Nelson an FXP premium was her design history. Originally intended to go into the RN battleship line, but didn't work out, so was canned in lieu of Mongrel. In order to reduce outcry WG went with making her FXP rather than purely monetized.

Ships in the same vein might have been the De Grasse. She was an odd choice for a T7 premium. I would guess there might be occasional ships like that, there was no clear ship in that role for the British destroyer line. The fact that there's a possibly premium Indomitable in the British carrier line and she's quite between Illustrious-Indomitable-Implacable might mean she can stand into the line if needed.

I don't know if WG really want to do T7 FXP ships at all, just one so far. I'm not quite sure how they want to do the T9 ones, it looks like we're getting two US ones, a Japanese, a Russian and a French - so not much spread on nations. There's also been three battleships and two 'large cruisers', no destroyers - maybe next year.

For T7 FXP there's no real difference from ships people want otherwise as premiums. I'd like a Sheffield or Cavalier. I do think Dido's a T5-T6.

I think kgv was meant to be the premium as the original ship carasol icons when the line released showed the kgv with premium Camo and the Nelson as gray... 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,332 posts
11,284 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I think kgv was meant to be the premium as the original ship carasol icons when the line released showed the kgv with premium Camo and the Nelson as gray... 

KGV as the lead ship of the class would be an odd premium choice, and I remember Monarch looked like a premium initially as she had a doubloon cost. I could be wrong.

Ultimately they modeled up (barely in the case of Mongrel) three ships for two slots, and one ended up as an FXP ship.

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,607 battles

If they add California, which i hope they would, i just hope she wont have speed like a colorado, i’m done with that, one grind was enough.

[TBOW]
Members
275 posts
3,194 battles

would love the California and Tennessee, I love all the standards and own them all, I do think it would basically be an up-tiered New Mexico. I think it would have to be the post pearl harbor configuration due to the tier difference and the fact that without it, it would be a cross between New Mexico (guns) and Colorado (tier and secondaries) and of course the speed. maybe a more secondary or AA built ship. would get it for sure

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,880 posts
10,447 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

KGV as the lead ship of the class would be an odd premium choice, and I remember Monarch looked like a premium initially as she had a doubloon cost. I could be wrong.

Ultimately they modeled up (barely in the case of Mongrel) three ships for two slots, and one ended up as an FXP ship.

Long time ago, but Nelson for sure was gray and one of the other 2 was shown in premium camo in the icon. I could look, but I'm lazy

NM, I did look it up and it was the kgv that was originally slotted to be the premium. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
28 minutes ago, mofton said:

I do think Dido's a T5-T6.

She seems so much more powerful and flexible than the Emerald that T5 is inappropriate for her, but she's certainly no Atlanta. T6 seems good. On the other hand, T6 might be a bit much if they also offered the 4.5" armament that was used in a subclass of these ships. It would be like having a half of the Queen Elizabeth's secondaries as your main armament, and having HE would probably be essential for balance. At least at T6 she wouldn't get radar.

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,796 battles
7 minutes ago, verkhne said:

150k? free xp premium    HMS DELHI

150k, Would that be Free XP tier 5? I'd be down with that!

Beta Testers
276 posts
6,389 battles
12 minutes ago, Merlox said:

150k, Would that be Free XP tier 5? I'd be down with that!

Danae class with 5 hand-picked 5/38 guns and 2 HA directors, yeah am thinking tier 5

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
2 minutes ago, verkhne said:

Danae class with 5 hand-picked 5/38 guns and 2 HA directors, yeah am thinking tier 5

Farragut gun armament on a Danae hull, but I vaguely recall that they removed the torpedoes in the refit. Be careful what you wish for.

Beta Testers
276 posts
6,389 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Farragut gun armament on a Danae hull, but I vaguely recall that they removed the torpedoes in the refit. Be careful what you wish for.

but so much AA....

[TNG-3]
Members
266 posts
2,703 battles

Any of the rebuilt Standards would be amazing. Perhaps even West Virginia, with the secondary and AA upgrades, but with some other downside to not simply be a better Colorado, such as a reduced fire rate or worse detection, etc. Or simply removing the upgraded heal that Colorado gets.

Edited by Neph

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,332 posts
11,284 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

She seems so much more powerful and flexible than the Emerald that T5 is inappropriate for her, but she's certainly no Atlanta. T6 seems good. On the other hand, T6 might be a bit much if they also offered the 4.5" armament that was used in a subclass of these ships. It would be like having a half of the Queen Elizabeth's secondaries as your main armament, and having HE would probably be essential for balance. At least at T6 she wouldn't get radar.

Completely gimmick-free she's fairly comparable to Konigsberg. She'd be strictly superior to Emerald only if she received all the same consumables - repair and smoke in particular.

Given that she's British some gimmick may be expected. It's up to WG. If so she can go up to 6, in particular with better ROF. She has a small, light hull, surprisingly poor AA and some serious limitations.

My vague thoughts and a couple of notes on stats (AA and HP) I included here:

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

Completely gimmick-free she's fairly comparable to Konigsberg. She'd be strictly superior to Emerald only if she received all the same consumables - repair and smoke in particular.

You're right about Konigsberg, but Konigsberg is a standout among T5 cruisers in terms of turret layout (infinitely more modern than Emerald) and gun range (so much better it's just not fair). Dido also has more turrets, so you can put out a more continuous and annoying rain of fire even if you had the same reload time (which is one of the things that makes the Atlanta so scary).

[S0L0]
Members
993 posts
5,306 battles

USS Wichita would be a good one, As would HMS London or Sheffield. The French CA Foch might be a bit overtiered at T7, but with the national flavor reload booster, I think it could work.

West Virginia or California would be good BB candidates, perhaps with WV getting 2.0 or 2.1 sigma in exchange for the improved heal that CO gets.

A late- run Laffey would be a nice T7 DD, and how about Somers for a T9? 8 single purpose 127mm/38's...

Matt

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,332 posts
11,284 battles
49 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You're right about Konigsberg, but Konigsberg is a standout among T5 cruisers in terms of turret layout (infinitely more modern than Emerald) and gun range (so much better it's just not fair). Dido also has more turrets, so you can put out a more continuous and annoying rain of fire even if you had the same reload time (which is one of the things that makes the Atlanta so scary).

Well, Konigsberg used to be standout but now we have modern 3x3 Kirov and 4x2 turreted Emile too. Overall the Emerald/Omaha look older and older and sadder and sadder, especially as Furutaka was upgraded from 6x1 to 3x2, doubling her bow-on firepower.

Dido can try and be a bit of an Atlanta, but with a 6.6s reload instead of 5s and 10 gun instead of 14 gun broadside she's just in a different league. I shoot broadsides in Atlanta quite a lot. Annoyance is a factor, but Dido's going to need consumables for certain at T6 where Nurnburg has the same RPM, 1/4 HE pen etc.

[SVF]
Members
1,105 posts
1,424 battles
4 hours ago, Merlox said:

Or USS West Virginia.  Either would be welcome imo.

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,796 battles
40 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Or USS West Virginia.  Either would be welcome imo.

You mean this? 

Edited by Merlox

[TNG-3]
Members
266 posts
2,703 battles

No, not that. It's not the interesting configuration of modernized WV with superior AA, Radar FCS and Torpedo Defense.

Edited by Neph