Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Our Community - Who we Are and Why Its not as Toxic as you may Think

31 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,559 posts
5,163 battles

We are a pretty diverse group in Warships.  And despite how it might seem, our community is much more docile than compared to other games.  Anyone who has played a FPS like COD knows how bad those can be.  I'm proud of our community and proud to make it my gamign home.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles

We have our fair share of trolls and idiots, but on the whole this is one of the friendliest and most helpful boards I've ever been a member of.

Coincidentally, the board with the worst trolls I have ever belonged to was one which did not suppress harsh or insulting language. Rather convenient, wouldn't you say? :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Members
1,910 posts
2,731 battles

If I say something as controversial as possible like 'I think radar is a good thing in the game', all I get are a few downvotes. Even in battle the worst I get is called out on maybe one simple mistake. Even in world of tanks you get so much hate for something even as simple as ammo choice.

I wholeheartedly agree. This community (both players and staff) rock!:Smile_honoring:

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles

The only thing I would like to see a little more is call outs for a good job in game chat.

On the weekend our CV driver obliterated the red fleet in a cap I was contesting. I thanked him, and at first he thought I was being sarcastic, I actually had to explain I was showing some appreciation for some very timely intervention by his planes.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
2,794 posts
14,196 battles

@NoZoupForYou

I been part of a MMO community (not WOWS) for over 10 yrs (2005-20015). Its hard not to have our "Serina Williams" moment when things don;t go our way. WOWS has a very high emotional affects that every person type you mentioned, takes it there way to blow off the steam. 

Emotion control is not strong in some people. As you mentioned and pointed out, its not the majority.

Who hates you Zoup ?? What did you do to pull there emotional strings ?

Love the video. Best of luck Zoup

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,302 posts
8,194 battles

i think the OP is correct, in comparison to the worst gaming offenders out there, such as COD, but incorrect, when compared to many other online multiplayer games, STO, Warcraft and more. Further, there is an irony in a youtube CC making this claim, as some of our other youtubing CCs, (mentioning no names) consider themselves above the community rules, and spirit we try to promote, above the law so to speak.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Its hard not to have our "Serina Williams" moment when things don;t go our way.

Before Serena Williams there was John McEnroe. He makes Williams look tame.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
3,572 posts
1,687 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Before Serena Williams there was John McEnroe. He makes Williams look tame.

Don't forget Ilie Nastase.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
1,503 posts

I agree, WoWs isn't nearly the level of Toxic as a great many other games are; complete,  where physical threats and SWAT'ing have occurred (a real extreme and very real reality).  Once once in the 7 months I've played have i seen one threat in chat and the entire map reported that player.....

And, the gaming world, according to the game industry friends that I'm old friends with that are still working, is evolving as well; to, actively monitor, moderate real-time and report threats immediately to the authorities.....

Loot boxes, micro-transactions and toxicity seem to be the "next hurdle" for the gaming industry.

[-TFC-]
Members
24 posts
11,262 battles

I personally get a kick out of them when they rage.  Let hem make of fool of themselves, its only a game. I have things way more important things in life to worry about then some foolish immature  player in a video game.

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles

Saying this game is less toxic than many others is like saying a rattlesnake is less toxic than a cobra. Regardless of who is the most toxic the deadly effect of the toxicity still exist. Any group is judged by the worse element of that group.

With the negative being said I can say there are a lot of players willing to take the time and point you in the right direction. Sometimes you must dodge a lot of salt but the cream always rises to the top.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
21,173 posts
5,686 battles
16 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

The only thing I would like to see a little more is call outs for a good job in game chat.

I'm making an effort to be more conversant with the "B" menu. (more options than just F keys)

I called out a DD on our team (Dukeofurl, forgot to compliment him though) he took out 3 DDs and a BB within about a minute in his Shinonome, (not just with torps but guns too) just running around an island, through his and the enemy's smoke.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,006 posts

Yeah, the toxicity is nothing like several other games, even compared to WoT, for example.  

If someone *is* toxic, I just block them, and forget about them.  I can't see their chat anymore.

I think the thing about this community is that it's a lot less 'twitchy' than many other PvP games.  This is a thinking game, not a split-second reaction game.  There are times, you have to react fast, yes, but it's not the bread-and-butter of the game.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,502 posts

I'm a member of a minority and have been a gamer for years, and can honestly say that there are not many communities where I feel less welcome than this one, so I don't share your opinion Zoup

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[_-_]
Members
1,636 posts
47 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

On the weekend our CV driver obliterated the red fleet in a cap I was contesting. I thanked him, and at first he thought I was being sarcastic, I actually had to explain I was showing some appreciation for some very timely intervention by his planes.

Doesn't the "Well done!" key with recipient mouseover accomplish that? There are a limited number of function keys available. Too bad some players assume sarcasm.

I usually try to find time to type a quick "GG so-and-so, compliment sent" to recognize exceptional play. Leaves no room for doubt.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
30 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

and can honestly say that there are not many communities where I feel less welcome than this one

A large proportion of the people I have encountered on either side in this game - either in battle or on the forums -  have everything about their identity blinded by the nature of their usernames. The exceptions are the YouTubers (especially those who openly show their faces) and a few other CC's who specifically refer to themselves in a particular manner. For all I know, everyone else is an amorphous, genderless, alien tentacle monster.

I don't know what your minority is, nor do I wish to know, nor do I care either way, and anyone who knows and who cares in a bad way is a lower intestinal sphincter and ought to be pointed out to the powers that be.

Play well, be helpful to others and be courteous even in disagreement, and I'm going to think well of you - and the converse is also true.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
21 minutes ago, CG11_HoleSnipe said:

Doesn't the "Well done!" key with recipient mouseover accomplish that? There are a limited number of function keys available. Too bad some players assume sarcasm.

I usually try to find time to type a quick "GG so-and-so, compliment sent" to recognize exceptional play. Leaves no room for doubt.

I do see that behavior occasionally. But people seem to find ample time in game to be salty without the use of a function key lol

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
57 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm making an effort to be more conversant with the "B" menu. (more options than just F keys)

I called out a DD on our team (Dukeofurl, forgot to compliment him though) he took out 3 DDs and a BB within about a minute in his Shinonome, (not just with torps but guns too) just running around an island, through his and the enemy's smoke.

Yes I have been trying to do the same. I feel it is better to lead by example..........and I get people not always having time to do it. if you are heavily engaged with an enemy ship, better to concentrate on that first lol

Members
21,173 posts
5,686 battles
11 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Yes I have been trying to do the same. I feel it is better to lead by example..........and I get people not always having time to do it. if you are heavily engaged with an enemy ship, better to concentrate on that first lol

For sure. That's another reason I like the B wheel. It keeps my eyes focussed on the action, not flitting back and forth between the chat bar and the keyboard.

I'm obviously already watching the player I want to commend, and I can do so without missing (much of) a beat.

Edited by Skpstr

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
459 posts
3,517 battles

Oh man you carebear boyos wouldn't last ten seconds in the OG Mag community back on the PS3. That game had proxy chat so everyone talked mad crap, none of that stuff was recorded by the servers either. It wasn't uncommon for me to get death threats, called any number of race based expletives just about every match. A number of people in a hated clan were doxxed with their addresses posted up. Sony considered it a dead game so they just ignored it. Hardly ever moderated the forums as well. Still when you had 32 vs 32 Clan Battles it was great because so much craptalking lead up to it.

In comparison the WoWs community is pretty chill, a bit too soft skinned at times. You can really piss people off with some light trolling but other then that it's pretty chill.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
10,069 battles
2 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

We are a pretty diverse group in Warships.  And despite how it might seem, our community is much more docile than compared to other games.  Anyone who has played a FPS like COD knows how bad those can be.  I'm proud of our community and proud to make it my gamign home.

Not toxic enough? What do you know about toxic you cotton-headed ninnymuggins!

• Bad 1

[187]
Members
1,086 posts
7,461 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

I'm a member of a minority and have been a gamer for years, and can honestly say that there are not many communities where I feel less welcome than this one, so I don't share your opinion Zoup

Sorry that you feel this way. I am not sure sometimes if we have a culture gap being this is a game created by folks from overseas or not but there seems to be a lot of people involved with it from all over the globe. Well let me be the first to say, Welcome Aboard! from ONAVY if you or ANY person that plays this game needs a hand or needs a clan to practice with or even just shoot the shite hook up with us.

Image result for in the navy meme

Edited by C_D

[WOLFC]
Members
332 posts
16,969 battles
3 minutes ago, VGLance said:

cotton-headed ninnymuggins

If I had the gold, I'd make that my in-game handle.

Sign in to follow this