Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

One month on WOW and wondering....

29 comments in this topic

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles

Ok, so I'm one month in, currently on a Leander cruiser (V).   Spent  a lot of battles getting sunk, then observing the rest of the play.   Hoping to upgrade to a Fiji soon.     So I'm noticing (please comment because I need your input):

1. Never go up the middle if you are a DD or Cruiser.  Danger from three sides usually awaits there.   Moving around the left or the right flank usually ends up better.

2. I never can tell if my Spotter plane helps spot enemy forces.   And why does it fly around my ship for :30 before getting out front?

3. Some groups never chat, not one word or Wilco during the entire battle.

4. I get the impression that most people, when they get sunk exit the game and switch to a new ship to get back into a battle soonest?    I tend to stay around and watch the action.

5. They need a "just wipe out the enemy carrier" button when it's the last vessel.   Would save everyone a lot of time!

Thanks for reading!

• Cool 1

[RNJR]
Members
282 posts
4,919 battles

Good read. Welcome to WoWs.  You hit the nail on the head for most points. The spotter plane if you see an enemy near you its probably your airplane spotting him. Yes the active time you see when you hit Y is part or the take off animation. Until the plane reaches altitude yes youre a little blind just be sure to launch the spottet slightly early before you need it to see enemy ships or torpedos.  And cruisers never go up the middle and be first thats a DDs job using its stealth to see ahead of the team.

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

Hi and welcome:

1) Generally good advice, depending on the map. Although, if it's base capture and the other team moves entirely to the flanks, a DD or two can run up the middle and cap the base. 

2) They do, but the spotting range of aircraft is lower than that of surface ships. For example, my Shimakaze is detected by surface ships at a range of 5.6 km and by aircraft at a range of 3.8 (IIRC, I have the number after the decimal wrong). Those airplanes are good for spotting ships hiding on the other sides of islands, torpedoes, and sneaky destroyers that get WAY too close. 

3) Yep... and sometimes, that's a blessing. I don't talk much, just the occasionally info bit.

4) Probably, for me it depends on the battle. If it's close or a good one, then I'll stay and watch. 

5) I've seen a carrier cap two spots while the enemy BB was hunting it over on the 1 line. 

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
18,968 battles

As a side note to question 2, something others haven't addressed yet, a spotter plane's main purpose is to extend the range of your guns and give you a different angle for aiming, one that should help you in shooting over islands.  It does spot ships as well, but that is a bit more secondary/incidental, as it will only spot ships only moderately beyond your normal detect range.

[PVE]
Members
4,985 posts
22,432 battles
40 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

2. I never can tell if my Spotter plane helps spot enemy forces.   And why does it fly around my ship for :30 before getting out front?

Unless a ship is behind an island you will have it spotted naturally before your plane spots it as a ships direct detection from another ship is worse than it's detection from planes. Using planes to spot ships is a CVs job as it doesn't have it's ship going forward to spot itself...any other ships planes have different purposes other than spotting normally (although as stated they can spot ships...but unless those ships are behind cover you will be spotting them normally w/your ship before the plane will spot them)...the fighter planes are of course self explanatory & fight other planes & spotter planes are actually misnamed as there job is not primarily to spot but as Dread Raybo pointed out in the bold type here:

19 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

As a side note to question 2, something others haven't addressed yet, a spotter plane's main purpose is to extend the range of your guns and give you a different angle for aiming, one that should help you in shooting over islands.  It does spot ships as well, but that is a bit more secondary/incidental, as it will only spot ships only moderately beyond your normal detect range.

So as opposed to being called a "spotter" plane it should actually be called a "vision range extension" plane as it doesn't spot planes further out...just allows for your vision further out to allow you to extend your gun range to ships already spotted by other teammates you normally wouldn't be able to shoot at because they are past your normal gun range.

Edit: In response to the bold in your statement...it is just a graphics thing & is irrelevant where the plane is visually because the gun range extension is active immediately after you engage the consumable & doesn't vary based on where the icon of the plane is in relationship to your ship...although the ability to spot other ships around you behind cover is based on where the icon of the plane is in relationship to them so it does have relevance to what you were asking about but not in relation to it's main purpose.

Hope this helps to clarify things for you about them as they are a tricky consumable that are hard to get used to but are very powerful when mastered (which in 16k+ games I have yet to master or even get fairly good at).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
4,415 posts
17,944 battles

Welcome aboard!

44 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

1. Never go up the middle if you are a DD or Cruiser.  Danger from three sides usually awaits there.

You got that right. I never go up the middle early in a match, even while driving a DD because getting caught in a crossfire is the usual result.

Members
1,366 posts
16,648 battles

Looks like you have a good grasp on the game so far.

One thing I'll add as it was one of those newbie things I had to learn long ago. Spotted by plane or ship you don't have to start firing immediately at your target. It only gives away your position and depending on what ship/guns you're using you might start taking more damage than what you can effectively dish out. Situational awareness is always key to having a good game.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles
2 hours ago, DreadRaybo said:

There are two kinds of non-carrier ship-based aircraft.

Catapult fighter - spots ships and torps, does not extend gun firing range, usually lasts longer than a spotter plane, provides some anti-aircraft support

Spotter plane - does extend firing range of ship-board guns, also spots ships and torps, provides very minor AA support (I think)

[RKLES]
Members
12,132 posts
13,793 battles

Welcome to the game and the Forum! :Smile_honoring:

Impressive that you are doing well in British Cruisers since those are the harder cruiser line to learn to use. The others are a little easier to learn to use. You will do well in this game if you were able to make use of those to start with. 

[-AGW-]
Members
975 posts
12,832 battles

I find that the fighter plane spots better than the spotter. Particularly on cruisers with a +5 minute flight time.

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Swift_Scythe said:

Good read. Welcome to WoWs.  You hit the nail on the head for most points. The spotter plane if you see an enemy near you its probably your airplane spotting him. Yes the active time you see when you hit Y is part or the take off animation. Until the plane reaches altitude yes youre a little blind just be sure to launch the spottet slightly early before you need it to see enemy ships or torpedos.  And cruisers never go up the middle and be first thats a DDs job using its stealth to see ahead of the team.

Thanks for the advice!  

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, DreadRaybo said:

ahh....that explains a lot.   Thanks!

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Unless a ship is behind an island you will have it spotted naturally before your plane spots it as a ships direct detection from another ship is worse than it's detection from planes. Using planes to spot ships is a CVs job as it doesn't have it's ship going forward to spot itself...any other ships planes have different purposes other than spotting normally (although as stated they can spot ships...but unless those ships are behind cover you will be spotting them normally w/your ship before the plane will spot them)...the fighter planes are of course self explanatory & fight other planes & spotter planes are actually misnamed as there job is not primarily to spot but as Dread Raybo pointed out in the bold type here:

So as opposed to being called a "spotter" plane it should actually be called a "vision range extension" plane as it doesn't spot planes further out...just allows for your vision further out to allow you to extend your gun range to ships already spotted by other teammates you normally wouldn't be able to shoot at because they are past your normal gun range.

Edit: In response to the bold in your statement...it is just a graphics thing & is irrelevant where the plane is visually because the gun range extension is active immediately after you engage the consumable & doesn't vary based on where the icon of the plane is in relationship to your ship...although the ability to spot other ships around you behind cover is based on where the icon of the plane is in relationship to them so it does have relevance to what you were asking about but not in relation to it's main purpose.

Hope this helps to clarify things for you about them as they are a tricky consumable that are hard to get used to but are very powerful when mastered (which in 16k+ games I have yet to master or even get fairly good at).

Yes it does help a great deal.  The battles today, I waited until our group was closing in on the islands, and it did seem to find a few distant ships.   The :90 second flight time of the one I have is pretty short, I'll have to try it for it's intended purpose, wait until I'm trying to hit a distant target, then launch.    Thanks!

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Looks like you have a good grasp on the game so far.

One thing I'll add as it was one of those newbie things I had to learn long ago. Spotted by plane or ship you don't have to start firing immediately at your target. It only gives away your position and depending on what ship/guns you're using you might start taking more damage than what you can effectively dish out. Situational awareness is always key to having a good game.

Thanks, I've been noticing that.   If I fire on, say a cruiser at 12 km that hasn't spotted me, as soon as I fire I see the "Spotted" message, and at those ranges the odds of a hit are pretty small.   I'm trying to be more patient, but I like shooting at red ships!

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Welcome to the game and the Forum! :Smile_honoring:

Impressive that you are doing well in British Cruisers since those are the harder cruiser line to learn to use. The others are a little easier to learn to use. You will do well in this game if you were able to make use of those to start with. 

I like them...  Spent a lot of time in the Emerald class.  I like the Leander better....it's a very nice looking ship, and I finally have two twin turrets up front, in stead of single guns all down the centerline!     I do get sunk a lot still....  I usually pick the closest line to an area (so I'm the closest to the enemy when they pop up).  It seems the programming is for the closest ship to get hammered by everyone in range, even if there is another cruiser 1/2 km behind me.   Funny to watch a group of cruisers all set out at 1/2 speed..  none seem to want to go first!    Thanks for the input!

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, NashW8 said:

I find that the fighter plane spots better than the spotter. Particularly on cruisers with a +5 minute flight time.

I should give that a try.... Longer flight time would be better.   Thanks!

Members
107 posts
4,378 battles

On optimal plane tactics: If I'm in a cruiser and I'm chasing a DD that's close and has just smoked up, I'll launch my catapult fighter to spot it should it try to escape on the other side of the smokescreen. The plane can't see through smoke, but it can instantly spot the bigger if you're close enough. It's a situational tactic, but it works well for me.

Edited by SithSteel

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
On 9/14/2018 at 4:48 PM, OgreMkV said:

accidentally quoted the wrong post.. ignore.

@brewakeg

Sounds like you’re learning a lot, which is great.

My only advice is to keep in mind there’s a lot more to this game than first appears.  You won’t even have learned the basics until around 1,000 games or so.

If you hit a wall and get frustrated, don’t let it faze you.   Just keep learning and playing and suddenly things will click for you and you’ll suddenly see a significant improvement.   It happens about every 1,000 battles for me.

Have fun!

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

I would recommend sticking with the Leander until you have a 16 point or better Captain to move up. Leander is a great vessel and those captains skills are a significant game changer. 

[SBS]
Members
5,198 posts

OP, you seem to be on the right track.  My advice, don't be a hurry to move up the tiers.  I know it seems like the end goal is to reach tier 10, its not.  The first goal is to learn the game and you do that in lower tiers.  Try different nations and ships types to at least T5 to figure out what you really like and then focus on moving up the tiers.  It takes about thousand game to really understand the basics, and then another thousand to learn the mid-higher tier game play.  Good luck.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:38 PM, Swift_Scythe said:

The spotter plane if you see an enemy near you its probably your airplane spotting him. Yes the active time you see when you hit Y is part or the take off animation. Until the plane reaches altitude yes youre a little blind just be sure to launch the spottet slightly early before you need it to see enemy ships or torpedos. 

I've learned that's not correct.  As any DD player will be able to tell you, the catapult plane can spot even before the take off animation begins.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,637 battles
On 9/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, brewakeg said:

Ok, so I'm one month in, currently on a Leander cruiser (V).   Spent  a lot of battles getting sunk, then observing the rest of the play.   Hoping to upgrade to a Fiji soon.     So I'm noticing (please comment because I need your input):

1. Never go up the middle if you are a DD or Cruiser.  Danger from three sides usually awaits there.   Moving around the left or the right flank usually ends up better.

3. Some groups never chat, not one word or Wilco during the entire battle.

4. I get the impression that most people, when they get sunk exit the game and switch to a new ship to get back into a battle soonest?    I tend to stay around and watch the action.

5. They need a "just wipe out the enemy carrier" button when it's the last vessel.   Would save everyone a lot of time!

Thanks for reading!

Leander (Tier VI) or Emerald (Tier V)? I'm having trouble deciding which is the typo. I suspect it's the tier.

I started out with the British cruisers at first too, because of historical interest, and only when I was knee deep in the Emerald did I realise that I had chosen the hardest option.

I find it interesting that you're running a catapult aircraft. I tried that, but very quickly switched back to smoke and made full use of it wherever possible.

That being said, when you eventually get up to the Edinburgh, you have the option of smoke or radar - so knowing how to play either with or without your smokescreen could be of benefit.

I would also advise you to climb at least one battleship and one destroyer line if you are not already doing so, as they will give you flexibility in missions and events that enable you to win useful things (including premium ships). British cruisers have the particular handicap of not being able to start fires with their main armament (except the Belfast, which is no longer available for sale), so having battleships and destroyers around is a good thing. As it so happens, the British destroyers are coming very soon if keeping it British is important to you, so keep an eye out for the details and best of luck in your WOWS career.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,857 posts

for beginners i would recommend cruisers with longer range guns and stay further back and snipe and kite, leaner has short range that requires you get too close that's why you get sunk all the time, try russian line i think it's better than UK

[WOLFG]
Members
27,103 posts
7,217 battles
18 hours ago, brewakeg said:

Thanks, I've been noticing that.   If I fire on, say a cruiser at 12 km that hasn't spotted me, as soon as I fire I see the "Spotted" message, and at those ranges the odds of a hit are pretty small.  

As you get better and more experienced, you'll have less and less trouble landing shells at 12km.

You want to watch getting TOO close to enemies, especially BBs. (unless their guns are pointed the opposite way) You will land more hits, but so will the BB, and his shells are bigger.

Generally, you want to be further out, where the BB's greater dispersion, coupled with your  greater mobility, gives you a better chance to survive while scoring hits.

Also, if you are farther out, it's quicker to retreat out past your detection range and go dark when you want to disengage. If you need to escape, don't give in to the temptation to fire as you run. Every time you fire, your detection range increase to match your gun range for 20 seconds, so if you keep shooting, you'll stay spotted even if past your normal detection range.

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

As you get better and more experienced, you'll have less and less trouble landing shells at 12km.

You want to watch getting TOO close to enemies, especially BBs. (unless their guns are pointed the opposite way) You will land more hits, but so will the BB, and his shells are bigger.

Generally, you want to be further out, where the BB's greater dispersion, coupled with your  greater mobility, gives you a better chance to survive while scoring hits.

Also, if you are farther out, it's quicker to retreat out past your detection range and go dark when you want to disengage. If you need to escape, don't give in to the temptation to fire as you run. Every time you fire, your detection range increase to match your gun range for 20 seconds, so if you keep shooting, you'll stay spotted even if past your normal detection range.

LOL I had a battle the other day, was coming from behind an island to launch torpedoes at a BB....I cleared the island and it was headed right for me at 4km!  I launched (missed) but it hit me with a salvo that jammed my rudder hard right.   Closing quickly now, I actually circled the BB at 1-2km and survived!   I think I was so close, and moving so fast, it couldn't track me with it's guns.   Was very lucky....  also the other friendly ships in the near vicinity had to hold their fire a bit, for fear of hitting me....also dodged a spread of friendly torpedoes while rudder was locked...   so much luck on one mission, I think I used it all up for a few months!          Good advice about firing while retreating....  Thanks!

• Funny 1

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Leander (Tier VI) or Emerald (Tier V)? I'm having trouble deciding which is the typo. I suspect it's the tier.

I started out with the British cruisers at first too, because of historical interest, and only when I was knee deep in the Emerald did I realise that I had chosen the hardest option.

I find it interesting that you're running a catapult aircraft. I tried that, but very quickly switched back to smoke and made full use of it wherever possible.

That being said, when you eventually get up to the Edinburgh, you have the option of smoke or radar - so knowing how to play either with or without your smokescreen could be of benefit.

I would also advise you to climb at least one battleship and one destroyer line if you are not already doing so, as they will give you flexibility in missions and events that enable you to win useful things (including premium ships). British cruisers have the particular handicap of not being able to start fires with their main armament (except the Belfast, which is no longer available for sale), so having battleships and destroyers around is a good thing. As it so happens, the British destroyers are coming very soon if keeping it British is important to you, so keep an eye out for the details and best of luck in your WOWS career.

Thanks for all the advice!  I think I chose the British line since I didn't know too much about them.   I have researched each cruiser as I upgraded (like on Wikipedia) just for historical interest, and I have really filled in my gaps in WW2 knowledge.   I realize you are right, Leander is a class VI cruiser, not what I typed in the original message.     Seeing the benefit of smoke...  might replace the plane with a smoke generator.   Bless WOW for making that easy....

Right now, I am concentrating on the cruiser line, but I also have a DD that I sometimes play.  I've been seeing a few masterful uses of the DD in some of the games I play, and want to do more with them.  Looking forward to the British DDs....  thanks again.

Sign in to follow this