You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
icyplanetnhc

Viability of Montana's legendary module in the Rank 5-2 bracket

15 comments in this topic

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles

I have just clawed my way into the premier bracket in Ranked and simultaneously obtained the legendary module for the Montana. On paper, a 30% rudder shift reduction would enable me to take Damage Control Systems Mod 2 (15% fire duration reduction) over Steering Gears Mod 2, and when coupled with the legendary module's 15% reduction in fire duration, I would have a 27.75% reduction in fire duration over my current build. While the survivability increase is beneficial, I can't help but feel that the loss of concealment is a rather severe blow. Surface detection would jump from 13.4 km to 14.9 km, which would severely hamper the ability to disengage and it may even allow the opposing team more time to react to positioning due to earlier detection. For all intents and purposes, the module's steering gear repair time reduction and flood duration reduction are useless benefits, as those are always conditions where you would use the damage control party.

I really don't know what to make of this module. For those who have experience in the premier league in Ranked, how beneficial would Montana be with the legendary module? I unfortunately don't have any other Tier 10 ships to use.

Edited by icyplanetnhc

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,029 battles

You hardly ever make use of that small difference in concealment so I'd say that it is almost a straight upgrade. Similar deal for the Conqueror module. 

[AP]
Members
1,297 posts
16,277 battles

1) i dont think montana is that viable

check wows-numbers, yamato has highest appearance even enough this is NA server and more people own montana

2) meta shift, beforei  rank out, r5 bracket was more or less FILLED with battleships(or more specifically yamatos), you get get the occasional conq, but i dont see fire as a common hazard

i would assume the bigger part of damage comes from AP, which the legendary module doesnt help you with

3) how do you play your BB? 20km and snipe? or like me, always save my first salvo of the game for enemy DD

if you played on my team during ranked you'll find that i never engage in the first 5 minutes of 24km yamato duel, 1because i dont snipe well but 2 because i always want that BB AP salvo on enemy DD.

i have a farily high confidence of hitting enemy DD that is within 14km of me, if you extend this radius by 1.6km...........accuracy's gonna significantly drop, and not just 13.4/14.9 kind of drop, accuracy decrease exponentially with shell flight time/enemy rudder shift

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Depends on how you play, if you up close, extra conceal is worth it, if you stay back more and support the legendary mod is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles

My tactics vary by map and team composition. Generally I like to take positions away from the main force to provide interlocking fields of fire. As such, I don't always try to actively maintain engagement distances, just positions that would provide the most shot opportunities. I do generally stray away from ineffectively long or suicidal short ranges unless extenuating circumstances demand it. However, numerous time I have found myself in a defensive kiting situation where I'm a part of the weaker force trying to delay a push. In those cases, the ability to remain undetected is beneficial as it gives me more freedom to maneuver. That said, I'm not sure how the meta would change in the premier bracket.

Edited by icyplanetnhc

Members
314 posts
21,181 battles

I ranked out playing the Montana. I also used the legendary upgrade the entire time. I stayed about 11-15km away if possible so I could use the turning increase. Overall I like the upgrade and will continue to have it on for next season and clan wars.

• Cool 1

Members
188 posts

Play another ship. From your stats it look like you mostly farm damage in the back and got carried to higher ranks. If you need that mod against fires your not playing properly.

• Meh 4

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles

What? Firstly, I don't have another Tier 10 ship. Secondly, the damage I had dealt helped win games, and it wasn't from mindlessly farming battleships either. I readily take shots at cruisers and destroyers.

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles

Unfortunately, advancing in the Rank 5-2 bracket has been a significant challenge. After some 40 matches, I was only able to climb to Rank 4, whereas it only took just north of 50 matches to advance from Rank 10 to 5. It's pretty clear that the meta has shifted and whatever I'm currently doing is not very effective, so I'm open to suggestions on how to better play the Montana at this bracket. Again, she's my only Tier 10 ship, so if I were to rank out I'll have to do it with her.

[AP]
Members
1,297 posts
16,277 battles
7 minutes ago, icyplanetnhc said:

Unfortunately, advancing in the Rank 5-2 bracket has been a significant challenge. After some 40 matches, I was only able to climb to Rank 4, whereas it only took just north of 50 matches to advance from Rank 10 to 5. It's pretty clear that the meta has shifted and whatever I'm currently doing is not very effective, so I'm open to suggestions on how to better play the Montana at this bracket. Again, she's my only Tier 10 ship, so if I were to rank out I'll have to do it with her.

no, everyone at that bracket knows what they are doing better than at r6 bracket

you simply cant carry like you did in r6

sounds like you are advancing in r5 bracket, which is good, now all you can do is grind

you cant sealclub like in r6 bracket anymore

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,833 battles
On 9/14/2018 at 9:59 AM, Kevs02Accord said:

Depends on how you play, if you up close, extra conceal is worth it, if you stay back more and support the legendary mod is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Stop that... reverse it...up close is when you need extra help squashing fires and not really concerned with hiding if your up in someone's grill that's when it comes in handy with the extra maneuverability and the fire dousing skill makes a HUGE difference. Montana secondaries specialized. My 2 cents proof is in the pudding. Fires seem to blow out like a match in the wind. Bring on the HE spammers!

Edited by C_D

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles
On 9/17/2018 at 9:08 AM, jason199506 said:

no, everyone at that bracket knows what they are doing better than at r6 bracket

you simply cant carry like you did in r6

sounds like you are advancing in r5 bracket, which is good, now all you can do is grind

you cant sealclub like in r6 bracket anymore

Eh, there's a lot of room for improvement. I haven't been particularly methodical with my approach, particularly when to be aggressive and when to stay further back. Finding the right approach methods is I don't believe I've fully grasped yet.

Edited by icyplanetnhc

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
12,004 battles

Here are the numbers for the Montana Unique Upgrade.

Here is the master list.

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles

It was a struggle, but I was finally able to rank out. Even though I didn't take the legendary module, I don't think it would have particularly helped, as several times I did have to rely on my concealment to survive. I would however like to see what percentage of my deaths was due to fires; from my memory, which may be unreliable, I didn't feel that fires were a large fraction. I suppose that someone with better knowledge of positioning can better exploit the increased survivability.

It took me some 162 Montana games, the bulk of it in the Rank 5-2 bracket. For some numerical comparisons, it took me 16 matches to go from Rank 23 to 15, about 20 matches to climb to Rank 10, another 55 or so matches to climb to Rank 5, and nearly 80 matches to finally rank out. Given that players in this bracket tend to be more competent, my performance numbers also suffered. I climbed to Rank 5 with ~119,000 average damage, ~66% win rate, and 3.2 K/D. By the time I ranked out, those numbers dropped to just 108,277 average damage, ~58% win rate, and 2.76 K/D. In fact, during my last 64 matches, I averaged a mere 100,895 damage and 54.7% win rate. Overall, I ranked out in 178 matches with 58% win rate, which is a substantial improvement over the last time I tried ranked, which was the 7th season (Tier 6) where it took me some 430 matches with 51% win rate. Unfortunately, I ranked out before I was able to obtain Admiral Halsey.

Edited by icyplanetnhc