Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Can torpedo fire be spotted?

11 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles

Way back I remember being told you could see an enemy ship firing torps by the splashes along side  (assuming you were paying very close attention and the ship wasn't covered in shell splashes). Now having a couple of years of play under my belt I realize I have never seen this. I have even tried following an enemy ship after I am sunk waiting for the tell-tale splash so I could warn my still floating compatriots. All in vain.

Does the torpedo splash effect exist, did it ever exist, or was I misinformed long ago?

[FAE]
Members
2,555 posts
3,311 battles

its not in the game pretty sure. 

It makes it too easy to avoid torpedoes at close combat. Which is a balancing factor for rushing smaller ships with a larger ship, which a larger ship will generally win at any range anyway. 

Second, even if the game size makes you think you should be able to see this, the ships are scaled much larger than they are compared to the map and distance. 

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles
4 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

its not in the game pretty sure.

That is the conclusion I came too, but I could have just been unlucky seeing it so I thought I'd ask. The second question would be: Was it ever part of the game, having been removed for the reasons you mention and possibly others?

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,039 posts
6,189 battles

There is a way to reliably tell, regardless of whether you see the splashes. You need Priority Target and paying attention to the number of how many enemies target you.

Let's  say you are fighting a Fletcher at close range. On the counter of how many enemies are targeting you, you see 1. If the Fletcher goes for the torpedoes, he no longer targets you as far as Priority Target is concerned. Then after he launches torpedoes  and reaches for his main battery you can see him again on PT. This lasts for a few moments, but if you pay attention you can know when you are getting torped.

Edited by warheart1992

[X-PN]
Members
9,128 posts
10,602 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

There is a way to reliably tell, regardless of whether you see the splashes. You need Priority Target and paying attention to the number of how many enemies target you.

Let's  say you are fighting a Fletcher at close range. On the counter of how many enemies are targeting you, you see 1. If the Fletcher goes for the torpedoes, he no longer targets you as far as Priority Target is concerned. Then after he launches torpedoes  and reaches for his main battery you can see him again on PT. This lasts for a few moments, but if you pay attention you can know when you are getting torped.

This. Also, ship positioning, as many who fire torps immediately break away. I don't, and I usually get satisfying hits, because I'm not doing what they expect, so mentally, they just can't react.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles
23 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

And knowing people do this, I will flip back and forth on my targeting between guns and torps just to mess with them.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
12 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

And knowing people do this, I will flip back and forth on my targeting between guns and torps just to mess with them.

I do that too. Managed to trick an enemy cruiser to turn its broadside to my torpedoes, allowing me to get massive damage on him.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles
16 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I do that too. Managed to trick an enemy cruiser to turn its broadside to my torpedoes, allowing me to get massive damage on him.

It works in many ways, you can disguise when you actually do launch, see  how he will likely react,  keep the guy constantly turning giving broadside to your friends or just make him stop paying attention to the counter when you do finally launch.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
6 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

It works in many ways, you can disguise when you actually do launch, see  how he will likely react,  keep the guy constantly turning giving broadside to your friends or just make him stop paying attention to the counter when you do finally launch.

I love it when they stop paying attention to the counter. makes them easier kills.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,236 posts
22,261 battles
34 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I do that, even with the torp-capable ship at ranges well outside max range.  I've used for example Tirpitz, engaging some one else at 14km, WAaaayyyyyYYY outside my torp range.  But I switch between guns / torps to mess with the target's Priority Target counter.

Also, it has to be said that torp users have a workaround against the Up / Down warning Priority Target gives when someone switches from guns -> torps -> guns.  I'll sail something like a Fletcher with torpedoes slotted the entire time, so that there is zero warning to the Priority Target user.  PT only counts when someone has locked on with main batteries, not torpedoes.  If I never had guns selected and I didn't have a ship targeted, and then then locked for torpedoes, the enemy will have zero warning. 

This is absolutely important when the torp user is stalking with no other friendly ships.  Let's say a target is sailing detected, a BB in this case, but no opposing ships that could realistically, effectively engage him as they're all busy fighting someone else closer.  If my Fletcher had guns selected, the BB will see the PT counter go up from 0->1 when I look his direction and the game targets him automatically.  I switch to torps, his counter goes 1->0.  I drop torps into him, go back to guns after launch, as my torps are now into a long reload cycle.  The target's PT counter goes 0->1.  If the target was paying attention that is a massive warning that he needs to change his sailing speed, direction or get rekt.  If I just had torps selected the entire time, he'd have zero warning until the torps are spotted by him, right before impact.

That works best if friendlies are around so the target could put off the DETECTED! warning due to enemy ships in the distance.  BBs have poor concealment and some guys running Secondary Spec with 0 stealth capability will be spotted far away anyways.  The stalking DD has all kinds of play room.

But if this was isolated part of the map and match, where from what the target can see, nothing should be detecting him, yet he's got the DETECTED! warning, a decent player will begin to maneuver defensively, expecting torps.

For example, my 11.8km detection North Carolina is sailing towards a fight.  The nearest, detected enemy ship is 17km away.  I'm undetected so far because I have not fired my guns, because I want to close range to around 12km before opening up on someone.  However, I'm spotted, getting the DETECTED! warning.  Normally this should not be possible because the nearest enemy ship is at 17km, well outside my 11.8km detection.  I am getting no warning at all from my Priority Target counter.  So it's either a stalking DD or one of the few stealthy Cruisers spotting me.  Either way, this is a big warning to start maneuvering defensively or eat a big fat salvo of torps.

Sign in to follow this