You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SamTheMad

Uss Alabama(friendly discussion)

26 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
407 battles

Hello I purchased the Alabama a few days ago and I really enjoy the ship. It really feels like a baby Montana. Most of the games I get in are high tier X games. Meaning there's only 2-3 tier 8s and the rest are 9/10

That being said ive won and survived the tier 10 matches going from 1 tier X match to my second one, was a huge learning curve I was actually getting yelled at by the team because I was afraid and didn't know how to play the Alabama. After insults and injury I decided to go brawl and it turned out more effective then I thought. 

Of course my luck would have it that the first ship I come in contact with was indeed the Montana we traded a few shots and eventually went our own ways.

It came down to the end of the game 3 ships on each team my two ships on other side of the map, and then I see the Montana come around an island. We were both half health. And to spare the even longer details I 1v1d this Montana and won. Sounds insane I was freaking out. I watched some videos about the Alabama before I purchased it mainly flamu's videos and I used the module for the -20% rudder which is amazing on bb's and was able to angle against nearly every shot from the Montana taking nearly no damage after a good 5 minute fight he had me on fire (yes Montana was shooting he at me) and I was under 5k health

I shot my last salvo to finish him off seconds away from capping out for the win.

Crazy part 85% of the damage I did that game was to the Montana kind of a bad first game too.

These are my personal pros and cons

-Pros-

Fantastic armor, specially when angled properly

It's a beautiful ship

Great guns

makes good credits

Great aa

Turns great(with rudder module)

Decent concealment (with module)

-cons- 

I honestly haven't found one yet in my opinion.

These are my thoughts on the tier 8 premium battleship USS Alabama.

I'm interested in your thoughts on anything about the ship or a great, or bad game you had in it.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by SamTheMad
Google changed angle to anglerfish lolol
  • Cool 1

Members
4,415 posts
17,944 battles

Bammy is my favorite BB, a excellent bote. Folks, I only like BBs when they aint all focus firing at my Cruisers, which never happens, and I'm driving them.  :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles

The only US BB that casts shadow on Alabama is Missouri, but if you missed your chance to get it - Alabama is it.  I enjoy mine very much, and I would play it more if it was not for Missouri.

Members
4,415 posts
17,944 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

The only US BB that casts shadow on Alabama is Missouri, but if you missed your chance to get it - Alabama is it.  I enjoy mine very much, and I would play it more if it was not for Missouri.

I have both Alabama and Missouri and I prefer Alabama. Maybe I haven't gotten the hang of driving Mo, but I seem to get easily deleted driving her. But I love Mo's guns. Alabama is pretty robust and gets the job done.

[INTEL]
Members
12,319 posts
34,162 battles
1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

I have both Alabama and Missouri and I prefer Alabama. Maybe I haven't gotten the hang of driving Mo, but I seem to get easily deleted driving her. But I love Mo's guns. Alabama is pretty robust and gets the job done.

Ditto. Missouri is the more powerful but the Bama is just damn much fun to play. 

[MKF]
Members
580 posts
20,397 battles

Definitely my go to BB at tier 8, worked great for me in ranked. The awesome turning is probably my favorite aspect. And the alternative camo looks great.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
574 posts
15,550 battles

I have both the Mighty Mo and the Alabama, both are good and tough ships.  Mo has the credit churning ability the Bama cant match, so there's that.

However I do not play the Alabama anymore since I got the Massachusetts.  Vastly different ship, though it retains most of the Bama's good points, just a lot more fun to play.

Of the 3 I rank them best to worst as Mass, Mo and Bama.  But being third on that list isn't a bad thing.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,027 posts
13,234 battles

Does Massachusetts get the same robust torpedo belt as Alabama?

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
574 posts
15,550 battles
20 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Does Massachusetts get the same robust torpedo belt as Alabama?

Very close.  The Alabama has 50%, the Mass has 48%. Weird there is a difference. Both are SoDak (South Dakota) class and should have the same hulls.  "balans"

Edited by nagasakee

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles
6 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

Fairly, I do my best to delete them when i see a Missouri,  having one is a huge edge to another player and I want to keep down your income :-)

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
8,758 battles
1 hour ago, nagasakee said:

I have both the Mighty Mo and the Alabama, both are good and tough ships.  Mo has the credit churning ability the Bama cant match, so there's that.

However I do not play the Alabama anymore since I got the Massachusetts.  Vastly different ship, though it retains most of the Bama's good points, just a lot more fun to play.

Of the 3 I rank them best to worst as Mass, Mo and Bama.  But being third on that list isn't a bad thing.

I wouldn't quite say Massachusetts is a vastly different ship from Alabama.  Very similar in most respects, with one significant buffed feature (secondaries) and a few slight nerfs elsewhere.  

Edited by RightYouAreKen

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
574 posts
15,550 battles
1 minute ago, RightYouAreKen said:

I wouldn't quite say Massachusetts is a vastly different ship from Alabama.  Very similar in most respects, with one significant buffed feature (secondaries) and a few slight nerfs elsewhere.  

You are, of course, correct here.   I should have said different playstyles, not ship.  They are in fact sister ships, but more alike IRL instead of games.   Thanks for correcting, appreciated!

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
8,758 battles

NP.  You weren't totally off the mark in one respect...Alabama and Massachusetts, because of the secondary differences, can't really share a commander if you want to get the most out of the ship/captain.  That's probably the biggest bummer.

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
6 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

Well, Missouri does have better guns, it also has very usefull utility with that radar, but what really sets her apart is the extra XP she makes.  Both elite captain XP and free XP.  It does generate more base XP for me and also has double the XP bonus on her camo, so it’s just more effective at bringing all those numbers in, especially with flags like papa papa.  I am trying to get Kronshtadt right now, and maybe Alaska later, and when I look at Alabama I just know that my time is better spend on Missouri.

[DFNT]
Members
189 posts
4,582 battles

I pretty much play US BBs exclusively and I love the Alabama. But I'm playing her less and less since I bought the Massachusetts. For a scrub like me, those secondaries can be a game changer. 

Members
1,933 posts
8,914 battles

Honestly I haven't touched my 'bama since Mass came out... her wonderful secondaries more than make up for the slight nerfs in other areas.

Members
2 posts
407 battles

Yeah I'm currently playing a mix of the asashio, bama, Atlanta, and the lo yang. 

Also slowely working towards shimikaze for the hilarious legendary upgrade for the minute 20 second reload of 15 torpedos lol. 

Sounds weird but I enjoy playing a ship that has 1 really strong suit and not just average. Like the asashio being the uncontested be killer. Or the lo yang being the DD base killer 

I actually wish the bama had better dispersion but maybe it would be too broken? Lol

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
On 9/13/2018 at 12:10 AM, ReddNekk said:

Concealment wise, both are about the same.

MO has the far superior speed.  Iowa-class, if she needs to run, can do so quickly, and they don't need Engine Boost.

MO also has the far stronger guns.  More importantly, the shells don't stay up in the air as long as the 16"/45 equipped USN BBs of Tier VIII.  The Tier IX-X USN BBs with the newer 16"/50 guns are easier to use at range.

What does help the South Dakota-class BBs is primarily defensively.

1.  They are short Battleships.  Less of a hull to hit, smaller target to torpedo.  Compare this to the size of Iowa-class and Montana.  Iowa / MO hulls are very long.  When I do play a DD like Fletcher, Iowa / Missouri are the BBs that I get the most dev strikes against.  It can't be helped.  The hulls are so long that they tend to catch most torpedoes I send their way, and DDs aren't even anywhere close to a level of expertise for me.

2.  Great maneuverability.  The SoDak-class ability to turn is top rated.  When you need to turn now, they do it just as good as any BB in the game.  They also have respectable 27kts.  It's not amazing, but it's not dumb like 21kts of Colorado and earlier BBs.  But the best part is that the SoDak-class take the excellent ability of Tier VII and below USN BBs maneuverability, and combine it with the 27kts of North Carolina.  It's the best of both worlds. 

North Carolina has decent speed but lacks the smaller size and maneuverability of the SoDak-class.

Iowa-class have blazing speed but are immensely long and turn like sh*t.

Combine the short, compact size of this class with the excellent blend of speed, maneuverability, the SoDak-class are the best Torpedo Beat BBs of High Tier.

... Oh, and BTW, if any torps do hit the SoDak-class BBs, you got some of the highest TDS in the game, so it's not going to hurt too bad.  I've taken Alabama to go jousting with torpedo-equipped Tirpitz for good success, as the TDS mitigates the vast majority of damage Tirpitz can threaten in such a fight, while the USN 16"/45 AP shells are absolutely devastating in reply.  It was actually one of the first tests I did in Randoms with the ship when Alabama was new, and the Tirpitz player obviously wanted to notch the brand new Alabama as a new kill to the collection.  Except Alabama survived, Ze German didn't.

With the tendency of High Tier USN BBs not named Massachusetts to take AA Builds, Alabama is the best able to withstand air attacks.  The AA is still amazing, but USN BBs don't suffer from AP Dive Bombers.  That leaves the threat of Torpedo Bombers, and the AA will shred such planes easily, and any that do get through, the high TDS of the SoDak-class mitigates the worst of the damage.  There's also the smaller size and maneuverability again of this class that the player can use to get even less hits.

In contrast, the typical Massachusetts is Secondary Build, and while the AA is respectable, it's not enough to stop same or higher tiered CVs.  Bismarck is the same way.  Her AA in a Secondary Spec is actually fair, but similar, high tier CVs will plow right through the AA.  NC, Iowa-class, even Montana, do not have the high TDS of the SoDak-class.

I hope the MASS players are ready for the surge of CVs when the CV Rework is done.

7O2FM6I.gif

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
4,415 posts
17,944 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Concealment wise, both are about the same.

MO has the far superior speed.  Iowa-class, if she needs to run, can do so quickly, and they don't need Engine Boost.

MO also has the far stronger guns.  More importantly, the shells don't stay up in the air as long as the 16"/45 equipped USN BBs of Tier VIII.  The Tier IX-X USN BBs with the newer 16"/50 guns are easier to use at range.

What does help the South Dakota-class BBs is primarily defensively.

1.  They are short Battleships.  Less of a hull to hit, smaller target to torpedo.  Compare this to the size of Iowa-class and Montana.  Iowa / MO hulls are very long.  When I do play a DD like Fletcher, Iowa / Missouri are the BBs that I get the most dev strikes against.  It can't be helped.  The hulls are so long that they tend to catch most torpedoes I send their way, and DDs aren't even anywhere close to a level of expertise for me.

2.  Great maneuverability.  The SoDak-class ability to turn is top rated.  When you need to turn now, they do it just as good as any BB in the game.  They also have respectable 27kts.  It's not amazing, but it's not dumb like 21kts of Colorado and earlier BBs.  But the best part is that the SoDak-class take the excellent ability of Tier VII and below USN BBs maneuverability, and combine it with the 27kts of North Carolina.  It's the best of both worlds. 

North Carolina has decent speed but lacks the smaller size and maneuverability of the SoDak-class.

Iowa-class have blazing speed but are immensely long and turn like sh*t.

Combine the short, compact size of this class with the excellent blend of speed, maneuverability, the SoDak-class are the best Torpedo Beat BBs of High Tier.

... Oh, and BTW, if any torps do hit the SoDak-class BBs, you got some of the highest TDS in the game, so it's not going to hurt too bad.  I've taken Alabama to go jousting with torpedo-equipped Tirpitz for good success, as the TDS mitigates the vast majority of damage Tirpitz can threaten in such a fight, while the USN 16"/45 AP shells are absolutely devastating in reply.  It was actually one of the first tests I did in Randoms with the ship when Alabama was new, and the Tirpitz player obviously wanted to notch the brand new Alabama as a new kill to the collection.  Except Alabama survived, Ze German didn't.

With the tendency of High Tier USN BBs not named Massachusetts to take AA Builds, Alabama is the best able to withstand air attacks.  The AA is still amazing, but USN BBs don't suffer from AP Dive Bombers.  That leaves the threat of Torpedo Bombers, and the AA will shred such planes easily, and any that do get through, the high TDS of the SoDak-class mitigates the worst of the damage.  There's also the smaller size and maneuverability again of this class that the player can use to get even less hits.

In contrast, the typical Massachusetts is Secondary Build, and while the AA is respectable, it's not enough to stop same or higher tiered CVs.  Bismarck is the same way.  Her AA in a Secondary Spec is actually fair, but similar, high tier CVs will plow right through the AA.  NC, Iowa-class, even Montana, do not have the high TDS of the SoDak-class.

I hope the MASS players are ready for the surge of CVs when the CV Rework is done.

7O2FM6I.gif

I dusted off Missouri and fought about 15 battles with her over the weekend. I finally got comfortable with her and did pretty good. She's no brawler, but is excellent as a long and medium range shooter. However, I have the same problem with Mo that I have with Hindenberg and Herni IV; I do a lot of damage but get few kills. Now I like Mo as much as Alabama though when driving Mo I miss Bammy's maneuverability and sturdier armor.

I hadn't played BBs in Randoms for a long time before last week and I've been having a lotta fun. But I'm still a Cruiser main at heart. :cap_like:

Members
1,592 posts
4,366 battles

I’m a North Carolina guy at heart, but I roll ‘Bama out on occasion. I’ll take better main guns pretty much every day, all day when it comes to BB.  Alabama is definitely the more survivable ship, though.  Early in my Alabama sailing career, I clinched a Tier X match by sneaking to about 8 km from a Yamato and giving his broadside all 9 guns...dispersion, for once, cooperated. I’ve had similar experiences in other matches and against other ships...but, the guns troll me just enough that I still prefer NC.  

My exception is Mighty Mo. I’m not any good with her, plain and simple. Doesn’t matter if it’s Tier IX or X...if I’m on your team, you want me in NC or ‘Bama. I suppose I need to buy Iowa and “git gud.”

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,681 battles

^_^ i Like the 'Bamma! 

i mean, i don't have her in me fleet...but she is sure fun to sink... :Smile_hiding:heheh

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
23 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I dusted off Missouri and fought about 15 battles with her over the weekend. I finally got comfortable with her and did pretty good. She's no brawler, but is excellent as a long and medium range shooter. However, I have the same problem with Mo that I have with Hindenberg and Herni IV; I do a lot of damage but get few kills. Now I like Mo as much as Alabama though when driving Mo I miss Bammy's maneuverability and sturdier armor.

I hadn't played BBs in Randoms for a long time before last week and I've been having a lotta fun. But I'm still a Cruiser main at heart. :cap_like:

With the IX-X USN BBs, it's far more feasible to hit those Cruisers at long range to devastating effect, because you don't have the floaty shells of the USN VIII Battleships.  That's your money maker.  It's a night and day difference to me.  Just stay at medium or longer ranges with IX-X USN BBs and keep the guns singing.

Don't creep to close with Iowa / MO, if things go bad, you'll have a tougher time disengaging.  There are times when bow camping in a bad situation is a guaranteed death, and if you're forced to do a dangerous 180 in front of the reds, the long hulls of Iowa / MO will get you instantly deleted.  Stay far enough where you can easily go dark, then maneuver to safety, all while still being out of the majority of torpedo ranges, but still close enough where you can hit things more reliably.

I remember a while back, my friend in his Zao, was trying to run down a Missouri player that was battered and running for friendly ships.  He wanted to finish it off, get the kill.  But the Missouri was so fast at 33kts.  Zao is fast herself, but the accurate gunnery of the fleeing Missouri forced him to take a non-straight away pursuit, being forced to evade during the chase.  The Missouri did this to a point that is quickly separated from the CA and disappeared, only reappearing later on to be a big PITA after it repaired itself :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,592 posts
4,366 battles

My problem with Mo begins and ends with positioning. I’m never, or hardly ever, in a position that allows me to fire onto the flanks/sides of the reds. Folks don’t seem to disregard Mo’s guns the way they do NC - I’ve had better luck at all ranges with the latter simply because Reds just assume I cannot hit them.