You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Forum_Troll

Getting Up Tiered does not feel Fun or Rewarding.

54 comments in this topic

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

Instead of whining, how can I play better? I rather know what I did wrong.  I was aiming for super structure to try to set fires.  When I set a fire, I would try to spread my shells around on their deck.  I am shooting from about 10k range.  How can I improve this?

THa3Non.jpg

Edited by JonnyFreedom

[HINON]
Members
12,851 posts

Playing at T6 in only 42 battles might indicate you went up the tech tree too quickly. Lack of experience might be why the uptiering feels so rough. Try dropping down to T4 for a while longer until you are more comfortable.

• Cool 3

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Playing at T6 in only 42 battles might indicate you went up the tech tree too quickly. Lack of experience might be why the uptiering feels so rough. Try dropping down to T4 for a while longer until you are more comfortable.

I did not have this problem in the Omaha though.  That is why I am puzzled.  I was doing really well with that.  The Dallas is arguably better is it not?

[S0L0]
Members
304 posts
7,548 battles
7 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

I did not have this problem in the Omaha though.  That is why I am puzzled.  I was doing really well with that.  The Dallas is arguably better is it not?

US light CLs need IFHE at the very least in order to do damage to bigger targets. Especially in tier 8 battles.
They also need to learn how to wiggle and bait battleships to messing up their aim by slowing down (not to a stop!), speeding up turning left and right in open waters, or take advantage of the battleships already busy with other targets, and learning how to shoot over islands due to their lack of armor otherwise. It'll come in time!

Edited by JB_24
  • Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
12,355 posts
34,353 battles
19 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

Instead of whining, how can I play better? I rather know what I did wrong.  I was aiming for super structure to try to set fires.  When I set a fire, I would try to spread my shells around on their deck.  I am shooting from about 10k range.  How can I improve this?

THa3Non.jpg

No one who complains about the broken MM is "whining". 

For Dallas

1. Get IFHE. Before concealment, which you don't need.

2. Find an island and hug it. Watch minimap carefully to make sure you are not flanked. Move to new island long before there is trouble. Because you are hugging islands you should not need conceal. Spend the 4 points on DE or damage mitigation.

3. Profit. 

4. Go up to Helena, which is heaven. Great ship.

Also, 

You only have 3 coop games in total. You need to play Dallas in coop 20-30 times to get a feel for its gunnery and to practice your shooting, and to grind up modules. That's a basic skill. One reason for your perceived performance issues is that you're in stock ships. You should be playing Dallas in operations as well. Join one of the many ops groups in the game, like ours (PM me).  

Also you might think about buying one of the Boise/NdJ clones, which will help you grind US cruiser captains -- if you buy one you can grind 300K XP for the other, a really good deal -- as well as give you a ship to grind in Operations at T7. They are both very good ships, and you can practice with them in coop w/o losing silver.

• Cool 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
39 minutes ago, JB_24 said:

US light CLs need IFHE at the very least in order to do damage to bigger targets. Especially in tier 8 battles.
They also need to learn how to wiggle and bait battleships to messing up their aim by slowing down (not to a stop!), speeding up turning left and right in open waters, or take advantage of the battleships already busy with other targets, and learning how to shoot over islands due to their lack of armor otherwise. It'll come in time!

I can wiggle and I try to position around islands I can shoot over or around.  My dodging is pretty good if you look at my stats in the Omaha.  One game I did 1.2M damage possible.  My problem is I can't light fires and my shots just bounce off.  I must be aiming strangely?

26 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

No one who complains about the broken MM is "whining". 

For Dallas

1. Get IFHE. Before concealment, which you don't need.

2. Find an island and hug it. Watch minimap carefully to make sure you are not flanked. Move to new island long before there is trouble. Because you are hugging islands you should not need conceal. Spend the 4 points on DE or damage mitigation.

3. Profit. 

4. Go up to Helena, which is heaven. Great ship.

Also, 

You only have 3 coop games in total. You need to play Dallas in coop 20-30 times to get a feel for its gunnery and to practice your shooting, and to grind up modules. That's a basic skill. One reason for your perceived performance issues is that you're in stock ships. You should be playing Dallas in operations as well. Join one of the many ops groups in the game, like ours (PM me).  

Also you might think about buying one of the Boise/NdJ clones, which will help you grind US cruiser captains -- if you buy one you can grind 300K XP for the other, a really good deal -- as well as give you a ship to grind in Operations at T7. They are both very good ships, and you can practice with them in coop w/o losing silver.

1.  Best captain I have is T6, and I have 2.  One on the Kidd and one on the Dallas (I moved him up from Omaha).

2.  I do hump me some islands when ever possible.  Otherwise it is a zig-zag fest with alternating speeds.  Again, best captain I have is T6 =(

3.  To profit I need a T10+ captain it sounds like.  Should I buy one from the premium store?

4. I can free EXP through Dallas, should I do that?  Is it that bad?

5.  I have every flag that I can run on the Dallas and Premium Camo.  I also used some Free EXP to jump into Radar and a Hull upgrade.

As for Co-Op, isn't it just really terrible experience?  It is also with bot's which play horribly stupid I heard.  I was also a fan of trial by fire.  My issues is that almost half my shells bounce off their target, which is why I thought it was an aiming issue on my part?

Edited by JonnyFreedom

[S0L0]
Members
304 posts
7,548 battles

IFHE and Demolition Expert with some fire increasing flags can greatly help with getting the most out of US CLs, the CLs dont have the special AP shells like the British lights and American heavies got. Stick to AP at fully broadside, similarly armored ships, at mid to close range, otherwise spam HE or pick a more beginner friendly line such as the USN and German CAs if you want to stick with criuser play to build up captains (Germans are just easier to get into as they have IFHE as default in their HE shells). (PS: Don't pay money to speed up the grind it'll come in time, and will be more rewarding)

Im no good at giving advice, but i hope I helped even a little bit!

Edited by JB_24
  • Cool 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
2 minutes ago, JB_24 said:

IFHE and Demolition Expert with some fire increasing flags can greatly help with getting the most out of US CLs, the CLs dont have the special AP shells like the British lights and American heavies got. Stick to AP at fully broadside, similarly armored ships, at mid to close range, otherwise spam HE or pick a more beginner friendly line such as the USN and German CAs if you want to stick with criuser play to build up captains (Germans are just easier to get into as they have IFHE as default in their HE shells). (PS: Don't pay money to speed up the grind it'll come in time, and will be more rewarding)

Im no good at giving advice, but i hope I helped even a little bit!

I was looking for the best CA and I heard the Worcester is it?  Is the German one better?

[INTEL]
Members
12,355 posts
34,353 battles
21 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

1.  Best captain I have is T6, and I have 2.  One on the Kidd and one on the Dallas (I moved him up from Omaha).

6 points... just play him patiently, you'll get there.

2.  I do hump me some islands when ever possible.  Otherwise it is a zig-zag fest with alternating speeds.  Again, best captain I have is T6 =(

3.  To profit I need a T10+ captain it sounds like.  Should I buy one from the premium store?

If there is absolutely nothing else you need the resources for...

4. I can free EXP through Dallas, should I do that?  Is it that bad?

That would  be unwise. Better to play too much Dallas than too little. you'll need to develop the right instincts...because at T7 things start to get harder.

5.  I have every flag that I can run on the Dallas and Premium Camo.  I also used some Free EXP to jump into Radar and a Hull upgrade.

Smart. Thats the right thing to do.

As for Co-Op, isn't it just really terrible experience?  It is also with bot's which play horribly stupid I heard.  I was also a fan of trial by fire.  My issues is that almost half my shells bounce off their target, which is why I thought it was an aiming issue on my part?

The bots dont play smart but they can be tough. They are excellent practice, especially for hitting specific parts of the ship, and for hitting DDs with those floaty US guns. 

It is only partly an aiming issue -- shatters are normal for HE shells, even BB HE shells. 

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
13 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It is only partly an aiming issue -- shatters are normal for HE shells, even BB HE shells. 

I am averaging 70+ hits per game, I just can't seem to do any damage.  As you see in my last game I got  64 hits, 25k damage and 5 fires.  That is pretty terrible.  I am not even averaging 500 damage per hit.  Which means most are shatters, which tells me my gun is terrible or my aim is off.  I tried using AP but BBs laugh at me =(

lG89n64.png

5EBOf2d.jpg

Edited by JonnyFreedom

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles
20 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

I am averaging 70+ hits per game, I just can't seem to do any damage.  As you see in my last game I got  64 hits, 25k damage and 5 fires.  That is pretty terrible.  I am not even averaging 500 damage per hit.  Which means most are shatters, which tells me my gun is terrible or my aim is off.  I tried using AP but BBs laugh at me =(

lG89n64.png

IFHE IFHE IFHE.  This is the problem.  Get it as soon as you can. Here are 2 games in the Dallas, one before IFHE, one after.  The one with IFHE actually landed a handful less HE shells, but did 2.25x the damage

You obviously free XPd to the Dallas. You're rushing up the tree too fast.  

Before IFHE:

Spoiler

5b99e199bbe50_Dallaslow2.thumb.jpg.72890d02d5dbf3dde9e38c9161641022.jpg

After IFHE:

Spoiler

5b99e1f317a11_DallasHigh.thumb.jpg.ee1b47b22c97052b2abbafd7546dd846.jpg

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
5 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

IFHE IFHE IFHE.  This is the problem.  Get it as soon as you can. Here are 2 games in the Dallas, one before IFHE, one after.  The one with IFHE actually landed a handful less HE shells, but did 2.25x the damage

You obviously free XPd to the Dallas. You're rushing up the tree too fast.  

Before IFHE:

Hide contents

5b99e199bbe50_Dallaslow2.thumb.jpg.72890d02d5dbf3dde9e38c9161641022.jpg

After IFHE:

Hide contents

5b99e1f317a11_DallasHigh.thumb.jpg.ee1b47b22c97052b2abbafd7546dd846.jpg

I used a total of 15k Free Exp which I earned in the Prinz to get to the Dallas.  The rest was earned in game with flags and camo.  Also everyone is saying IFHE.  So it sounds like I should buy a T10 Commander...  Even in the video, the guy is using legendary mod it would seem and a high tier commander with IFHE and I am sure other things.

Here is my current dubloon, credits, free exp count:

IXStzac.png

Edited by JonnyFreedom

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles
4 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

I used a total of 15k Free Exp which I earned in the Prinz to get to the Dallas.  The rest was earned in game with flags and camo. 

Arguably XP flags and camo shouldn't be used too much by new players. You're better off going at a somewhat slower pace as you learn the game and the mechanics.  Otherwise you get stuck in situations like this, where your own skill level, as well as your captain points, are way behind the ship tier.  

The premium/dragon flags, especially, and the good XP camos shouldn't be used at low tiers.  It took you less than 50 battles to get to tier6.  Once you get to T8 and T9, advancing to the next tier is going to take 70, 80, 90+ games.  That's when you'll want those flags.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
30 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Arguably XP flags and camo shouldn't be used too much by new players. You're better off going at a somewhat slower pace as you learn the game and the mechanics.  Otherwise you get stuck in situations like this, where your own skill level, as well as your captain points, are way behind the ship tier.  

The premium/dragon flags, especially, and the good XP camos shouldn't be used at low tiers.  It took you less than 50 battles to get to tier6.  Once you get to T8 and T9, advancing to the next tier is going to take 70, 80, 90+ games.  That's when you'll want those flags.

I can always buy more flags.  Can I buy 19pt commanders is a better question... 

Edit: Just got DE.  Upped my fires per game by 2-4.  Not bad.

Edited by JonnyFreedom

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
485 posts
4,576 battles

One of your problems is that until T4 there is a -1/+1 MM while after T5 is -1/+2 same with T6  You wont ever see any T4s  But you will see 5-8

Alot of people farm at T6-7 leading to a higher skill cap and higher point captains  19 point commanders come with time.  But once you have one 19 point commander you can farm out something like 10-30k commander XP for a first win bonus with proper flags/camos which is why people are advising you to save.  The payout is much higher if you save them for a higher tiered ship.

Buying a captain wouldn't be something I would recommend.  As you play with a lower skill point captain you start to get the feel how ships handle with and without the skillpoints.  Additionally more modules become available at T6 which are worth looking into

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

Bought a 10 pt captain before I went to bed last night.. this was the first game.  The only difference in this game was a 10pt captain and not getting up-tiered.  This tells me there is a co-efficient somewhere in the formula that benefits up-tiered people.  I didn't magically get better, I just played people my rank.

oUG71FR.jpg

Edited by JonnyFreedom

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
8,806 battles

One thing to remember about being uptiered is that the XP rewards can be greater when you damage enemy ships in tiers above yours.  So it's not all doom and gloom, it's an opportunity!

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,272 battles
50 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

Bought a 10 pt captain before I went to bed last night.. this was the first game.  The only difference in this game was a 10pt captain and not getting up-tiered.  This tells me there is a co-efficient somewhere in the formula that benefits up-tiered people.  I didn't magically get better, I just played people my rank.

oUG71FR.jpg

If you put IFHE on the captain, yeah, that's 30% more pen for your shells.

And yes, there's a fire resistance coefficient that gets higher as you go up the tiers. It's about 50% at T10.

And it looks like you have lots of money. That's great, you'll never want for doubloons.

But all rushing up the tiers is going to do is provide fuel for more of these threads from you.

If you're making beginner mistakes at T10, you'll need a skin like an elephant, because you and everybody you know is going to get accused of every unsavory sexual practice in the book lol.

Although it looks like you're doing ok at mid-tiers, your average damage is just fine.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,702 posts
12,407 battles
10 hours ago, JonnyFreedom said:

Radar??? USS Dallas???? I trust you mean the gun/fire director upgrade that adds range.

I looked at your stats...you seem to be off to a pretty good start. Just slow down, inhale, learn the ins and outs of the game. Don't be so quick to press the Free XP button.

One more thing...I see you have a Prinz Eugen...I was "That Guy" that got a PE on the day I registered with WoWs, and stank up the joint with it. I'm a freedom and liberty kind of guy, but I suggest going light with that thing until you bank some more experience.

• Cool 1

Members
260 posts
5,782 battles

If you are trying to farm fire damage you need to share the love. Once you set a ship on fire switch fire to another ship. One fire they will probably let burn, 2 & they will likely put it out. If you can set a single fire to multiple ships you will rack up allot of damage. The exception being if someone immediately puts out a fire. If they do then focus them & get as many fires going as you can while their RP is on cooldown.  

• Cool 2