You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mike540

are French or German guns more accurate?

17 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
5 posts
2,455 battles

I'm trying to decide between either the French or German lines to work on cruisers and battleships. I think my main criteria would be; which nation generally has the most accurate guns? I really like ships that can hit on target at a decent range. I plan on buying either a French or German premium ship so I could use it for both cruiser and battleship retraining. 

I'm still pretty newb and have only really played destroyers so far, so from what I have read the German line is more forgiving because of their good armor/survivability and quick reload. However I have seen a lot of talk about powercreep in this game...so since the French line is the newest should I just go for them? 

[TBW]
Members
9,769 posts
16,555 battles

French cruisers have range and are pretty accurate and start fires good. I prefer French BBs over German but many would challenge that opinion. They did just nerf (arguably) the French cruisers though by adding the new consumable.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

All tech-tree cruisers generally have the same accuracy, and the French battleships are better at hitting targets then their German counterparts.  

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,551 posts
33,688 battles

I like both but find French more accurate (less dispersion).

Both lines have great cruisers, and BBs  like La Galisoniere, Charles Martel and Henri, Lyon, Alsace and Republique on one side, to name a few, and Hipper, Roon, Hindenburg, Gneisenau, GK, and more.

You can't go wrong with either.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles
Just now, EpicFlails said:

French More accurate for sure.

I have to agree with this, french BB's are very accurate.

Never played any of the cruisers though.

[REVY]
Members
2,032 posts
11,332 battles

French are accurate from med to long range.

Germans are accurate from brawling range.

[PISD]
Members
1,006 posts
4,843 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

French are accurate from med to long range.

Germans are accurate from brawling range.

Well, anyship is accurate from brawling range. And even at that, German BB can be frustrating.

I would also add: German BB have less range. Sure they are tanky, but low tier German BB are slow and lack range, making them quite troublesome to succeed in. French BB, while being more fragile, are quicker and have longer range, making them more easy to use with impact at low tier. For the cruisers: French cruiser have a more orthodox starting Tier 3 with center line turret while German have to wait until tier 5 to get it. Also, I did found low tier French cruiser to have a flatter shell trajectory, making it perfect for long range harassing.

[WOLFB]
Members
5 posts
2,455 battles

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I will go with France...now to decide on a French premium...no currently available ones look that impressive except for maybe the De Grasse (although the t8 Gascogne would probably make way more credits). 

57 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

They did just nerf (arguably) the French cruisers though by adding the new consumable.

Didn't the main reload booster only nerf the Charles Martel and Saint-Louis? With those two they actually increased the reload time but seems like it would be a buff to all the other ships.  ( patch link: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-078-wows-birthday/#balance-french-cruisers )

Edited by mike540

[TBW]
Members
9,769 posts
16,555 battles
2 minutes ago, mike540 said:

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I will go with France...now to decide on a French premium...no currently available ones look that impressive except for maybe the De Grasse (although the t8 Gascogne would probably make way more credits). 

Didn't the main reload booster only nerf the Charles Martel and Saint-Louis? With those two they actually increased the reload time but seems like it would be a buff to all the other ships.  ( patch link: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-078-wows-birthday/#balance-french-cruisers )

Yes it was just those two and some would not even call it a nerf but would call it a buff. Adding 2 seconds to the reload time is a nerf to me, even though it does give some benefit back.

Members
4,415 posts
17,944 battles
1 hour ago, Happy668 said:

german BB accurate? that's a joke lol

I beg to differ! They always hit the water!  :Smile_hiding:

[-AGW-]
Members
975 posts
12,832 battles

Just had a quick peek at my hit% in French vs. German BB's and Cruisers. The French are way ahead. Next come the Russians.

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,762 posts
2,134 battles

If we're talking in game, the cruisers are identical, and the BBs aren't honestly that much different. You'll really want to look for other factors before deciding on which ships to choose. Do you like brawling? Or medium-range combat? Etc, etc.

If we're talking real life... well, the French had major issues with dispersion, I wouldn't trust their to hit much in WWII at the very least... :cap_rambo:

[--K--]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,339 battles

@mike540 There are three parts to accuracy, horizontal dispersion, vertical dispersion, and shell grouping (sigma), of which only horizontal dispersion at max range is shown in port. These values also differs between ship classes and even within a line for balancing purposes, so it is very much over generalization and ambiguous to  ask if German or French guns are more accurate. 

For BBs, in general German BB have worst horizontal dispersion, but it’s likely they have better sigma to compensate for less guns on their BBs where as French BBs in general have better horizontal dispersion but worst sigma to make up for the fact that Mid tier BBs have many more guns (Richie and Republic are probably outliers from the trend WRT sigma). At the end of the day, when all things considered, their overall accuracy isn’t wildly different and your mileage is far more dependent on having good positioning and  having good aim in the first place.

• Cool 1