You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Jervis — British Tier VII destroyer.

13 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,294 posts
1,296 battles

Jervis — British Tier VII destroyer.

The J-class ships became the pioneers of the the new generation of British destroyers. Their increased size enabled them to carry powerful artillery in new twin mounts. 
800px-Jervis_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

Alpha Tester
24 posts
3,559 battles

Of the 3 I have played, Acasta, Icarus, Jervis, this one is by far the most fun. 2 twin gun turrets up front, 1 in rear, hydro, and 8 torps between 2 tubes (7km), I usually come away with a minimum of another DD killed and if I get away after that, then usually the BB's start hurting.

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,854 posts
5,982 battles

I really want to love this ship, but the range of the torpedoes makes it impossible. I have lost track of the amount of times my torpedoes are about to slam a ship for a Dev Strike and they run out of range.

[HEROS]
Members
1,939 posts
16,638 battles

I drive it just like the Acasta with the same set up for commander skills and 2nd slot module (Hydro extender).. works fine and it does have better guns.  Very flexible ship I find.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[REVY]
Members
2,068 posts
11,439 battles

She plays like a mid Tier US DD.

If you position yourself correctly, she can get you that Dev strike with the torpedos. At best, you have just about 1.5km between torp max range and being spotted.

Many of my best RN DD battles have been in the Jervis. I figure I have enough XP in her to immediately get the next tier up.

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles

Gadjah Mada was utterly superior to this thing. Yes, 1km range on the torpedoes and smoke that you can actually stop inside of if your engine is damaged... especially in the current CV meta where they can loiter around overhead for far too long... are that big of a deal.

And then you get into how the higher tiers can't scratch cruiser plating except Mino line, even with IFHE, and this does not make for enthusiasm to bother with the rest of the line.

Edited by Guardian54

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
29 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Gadjah Mada was utterly superior to this thing. Yes, 1km range on the torpedoes and smoke that you can actually stop inside of if your engine is damaged... especially in the current CV meta where they can loiter around overhead for far too long... are that big of a deal.

And then you get into how the higher tiers can't scratch cruiser plating except Mino line, even with IFHE, and this does not make for enthusiasm to bother with the rest of the line.

Well I've not gotten to Gadjah Mada yet, but my impression of the RN destroyers is that they're very much meant as a counter to other destroyers. Hydro, excellent gun angles, plus great gunnery and those single-fire torps mean that you can easily press hard against enemy ships and just as easily break off with a quick smoke screen. Yes IFHE is a bit of a must once you get up in the tiers, but you've still got AP and your rate of fire is excellent for stacking up damage with superstructure hits to whittle the enemy down.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
411 posts
6,762 battles

As much as I like Jervis, Gajah Mada is the better ship. The extra 1km range on the torpedoes and the slightly better concealment means that the Gadjah Mada has a really comfortable stealth torp window of 1.9km against Jervis's 0.7km window. I find that Jervis's torpedo armament plays a secondary role and rarely have much success with it, whereas Gadjah Mada's torpedoes are used more often and with more success. 

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles

Anyone who's taken engine damage while trying to stop to smoke up knows that this turd has completely inadequate smoke generator active time.

Anyone who has not gone through the Gadjah Mada should not speak of Jervis before doing so.

The one upside of Jervis is that at least the gun traverse isn't quite the "eating a vomelet off a public bathroom floor" bad of the Tier 5 and 6. However, the GM just trashes it in every single way except torping DDs (and the sonar is pretty dubious value too due to obscenely short range).

EDIT: After further deliberation, I declare Jervis by far the worst Tier 7 DD.

Edited by Guardian54

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I did  well in acasta and icarus, but  couple match into jervis,  I find that   it is weaker bote in its tier.   it gets worse if you have t8 CV in the match.   (but then it is bad no matter which DD  I guess)  If I get an operation I like, I may grind it there through it.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

played jervis for 10 matches and   I have to admit that it is much tougher meta to do well in.       you have to run it more as gunship/scout then torp bote and try to start fires, except when you have t9 match with lot of radar bote, that is risky as well until match has developed.    too many radar cruisers that tries to ambush you.      wish it was bit faster, but usable with speed flag. 

[1813]
Members
325 posts
8,795 battles

Had a couple of fun games in it, so far so good, at least because it has 8 torps, 4 for Haida but not the creeping smoke screen.