You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Podvoisky — Soviet Tier V destroyer.

21 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,680 posts
779 battles

Podvoisky — Soviet Tier V destroyer.

One of the draft designs for the first destroyer flotilla leaders in the U.S.S.R. Unlike destroyers built during the pre-revolutionary period, this ship had greater dimensions, a higher speed and more powerful artillery. Apart from that, she carried torpedoes of a larger caliber.
800px-%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[E-WAR]
Members
33 posts
3,644 battles

Fast as hell ant the guns can turn 360.  But that awful detection range!  Anyone have tips for winning when your detection radius prevents you from being a sneaky spotter/capper?

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
10 hours ago, badperson said:

Fast as hell ant the guns can turn 360.  But that awful detection range!  Anyone have tips for winning when your detection radius prevents you from being a sneaky spotter/capper?

I have videos made for a subscriber request on YouTube but has no voiceover. Would you like to see them?

[E-WAR]
Members
33 posts
3,644 battles
11 hours ago, Lightninger said:

I have videos made for a subscriber request on YouTube but has no voiceover. Would you like to see them?

sure, post away

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
22 hours ago, badperson said:

Like her big sisters Minsk, Leningrad, Kiev, Tashkent, and Khabarovsk, the word "concealment" is not part of the Podvoisky's vocabulary.  The joke among my clan and division mates is that normal detection is her gun range, and minimum detection is achieved when all of her guns are destroyed.  Seriously, though, you can cap once lower-detection opposition is dealt with, but generally a Podvoisky doesn't drive capping.  Many players, including myself, don't spec into any concealment other than any benefit we get from a camouflage.

Stay at 80+% of the range of your guns (with AFT, please!), fire your guns all the time, and never stop moving.  Speed is armor.  Smoke is (usually) for your allies, potential damage should generally be about 750K or more.  If you have less potential damage, you're not letting your opponents shoot at you enough.  Most games I use all of my Engine Boost charges, but not all of my smoke charges (and some games I never use smoke).

In the few cases that you are in a game with opposing radar (Belfast, Indianapolis), you don't care, because if you're close enough to be detected by radar, you are too close.

My build:
Upgrades: MAM1, PS1, ASM1
Skills (in order I recommend acquiring; I'm fortunate to have a dedicated 19-pointer for her):  PT, LS, BFT, AFT, SE, SI, EM, PM (DE is a decent alternate to SI, but you definitely want BFT to reduce gun reload and SE for better endurance)
Combat Signals (when available): SM, IX, VL, JC

I don't have a Podvoisky replay on my channel, but I do have a number of Leningrad, Kiev, Tashkent, and Khabarovsk replays, all of which have the same play style.  Here are some good examples: 

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Podvoisky.png

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
3 hours ago, badperson said:

sure, post away

Here are the subscriber request videos, and the request specifically asked for an eight point captain. I summarize in the video description what I am thinking throughout each replay so be sure to read them.

[WOLFG]
Members
5,221 posts
3,035 battles
6 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

My build:
Upgrades: MAM1, PS1, ASM1
Skills (in order I recommend acquiring; I'm fortunate to have a dedicated 19-pointer for her):  PT, LS, BFT, AFT, SE, SI, EM, PM (DE is a decent alternate to SI, but you definitely want BFT to reduce gun reload and SE for better endurance)

I play coop and just picked this up.  I am almost to BFT and was kicking around the last 9 points in my head.

Thanks for some input.

• Cool 1

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
4 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I play coop and just picked this up.  I am almost to BFT and was kicking around the last 9 points in my head.

Thanks for some input.

Glad to help.

Note that in co-op, the play style of the Soviet gunboats needs to be very different than in random battles because the bots are very accurate.  The notion of "speed is armor" applies to how the Podvoisky and her bigger sisters can avoid taking damage because most human players do not lead enough to hit such fast targets.  The bots, on the other hand, are much more accurate.  When playing a gunboat in co-op, I will leverage smoke to camp in and shoot at targets.  I'll also use island cover to conceal my approach to targets and deliver ambush torpedo strikes.

Good luck!

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
6 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Thanks for some input.

You don't really need SI for the Podvoisky as it has no heal. I prefer this build for the captain.

PM (or PT), LS, BFT, AFT, CE, SE, AR

You also don't need EM anymore as they reduced the turret turn down to 18.6 seconds from 22+ seconds. The only Russian destroyers that actually need EM anymore are Leningrad, Gremyashchy, and Okhotnik.

[WOLFG]
Members
5,221 posts
3,035 battles
6 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

You don't really need SI for the Podvoisky as it has no heal. I prefer this build for the captain.

You also don't need EM anymore as they reduced the turret turn down to 18.6 seconds from 22+ seconds. The only Russian destroyers that actually need EM anymore are Leningrad, Gremyashchy, and Okhotnik.

I've been tossing around CE and AR also.

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 12:28 PM, Lightninger said:

SI isn't for the heal, it's for the extra Engine Boost (and Smoke), which is very useful in late-game activities.  I agree, however, that if someone plays mostly in co-op, then SI isn't useful, and DE would be the better choice.

Up to each player whether to take EM.  While the turret traverse on mid- and low-tier Soviet destroyers was improved, Soviet gunboats are constantly changing direction.  For me, taking EM to improve traverse to keep guns on target and firing helps my DPM instead of waiting for turrets to catch up.  Again, this is probably less of an issue for co-op since you will camp in smoke and not really play the ship the same way as in random.

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
Clarification for playing co-op.

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 12:35 PM, DrHolmes52 said:

Don't spend points on CE--not worth it for most of the Soviet destroyers since you're constantly firing your guns anyway.  The only Soviet gunboats I take CE on are Gnevny and Grozovoi.

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
5 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

SI isn't for the heal, it's for the extra Engine Boost (and Smoke), which is very useful in late-game activities.  I agree, however, that if someone plays mostly in co-op, then SI isn't useful, and DE would be the better choice.

Up to each player whether to take EM.  While the turret traverse on mid- and low-tier Soviet destroyers was improved, Soviet gunboats are constantly changing direction.  For me, taking EM to improve traverse to keep guns on target and firing helps my DPM instead of waiting for turrets to catch up.  Again, this is probably less of an issue for co-op since you will camp in smoke and not really play the ship the same way as in random.

This is not about how to play in COOP, it is for random play. Just because I haven't played Random battles in a while doesn't mean I don't know how Random battles go. Go look at my record yourself before making accusations.

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, DrHolmes52 said:

6 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

You can follow what AnlolairGhorm here said if you like, but constantly firing your guns at max range, especially at battleships is very low impact way of play that doesn't win games. Why do you think I tell people to message me if they are serious about trying something different from the normal accepted playstyle? And all my students who have been serious about learning have been very happy with their results.

[STW-M]
Members
3,168 posts
7,659 battles

I personally loved her. Run around at range slowly burning down everything and laughing as basically anything without accurate long-range fire struggles to hit you, then rush in and torpedo some poor low-tier BB once the crowd thins out or you see an opportunity (especially effective at tier 4 since most BBs there have terrible dispersion). You can even get away with cruiser duels at times if they show broadside or let you get off a point-blank torpedo salvo.

Of course, you must be more cautious in higher-tier matches, but the spirit remains the same: blast away, kite, and draw the enemy fire all to you. Burn them down and distract them while your teammates (hopefully) use your distraction well to mop up the opposing team. My philosophy is this: if the enemy's shooting at (and missing) you, they're not shooting at your teammates.

I managed to breeze through Podvoisky in 25 battles with a 72% WR, and even today she still holds the record for my highest number of kills in a destroyer.

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
8 hours ago, Lightninger said:

This is not about how to play in COOP, it is for random play. Just because I haven't played Random battles in a while doesn't mean I don't know how Random battles go. Go look at my record yourself before making accusations.

No accusations intended; I wasn't commenting on your experience.  DrHolmes52 mentioned that he plays in co-op, and I wanted to point out that a different build is suitable for co-op than for random.  Specifically, SI and EM are less useful in co-op than they are in random.

EDIT:  At your invitation, I did look at your record in the Podvoisky.  You may want to consider looking at my performance in this ship as well (which I included in my original post on this thread).

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
Comment on performance record

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
8 hours ago, Lightninger said:

You can follow what AnlolairGhorm here said if you like, but constantly firing your guns at max range, especially at battleships is very low impact way of play that doesn't win games. Why do you think I tell people to message me if they are serious about trying something different from the normal accepted playstyle? And all my students who have been serious about learning have been very happy with their results.

So how do you play the Podvoisky if not following her traditional play style?  The Podvoisky is a versatile ship, and there are times to get in closer to engage opposing destroyers (within 6-8km), but otherwise performs best playing at range against the opposition.  I have no issues playing at range to erase cruisers and burn battleships to the waterline.  I'll cap once opposing destroyers are sunk or driven off.

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
Typo correction

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
2 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

No accusations intended; I wasn't commenting on your experience.  DrHolmes52 mentioned that he plays in co-op, and I wanted to point out that a different build is suitable for co-op than for random.  Specifically, SI and EM are less useful in co-op than they are in random.

EDIT:  At your invitation, I did look at your record in the Podvoisky.  You may want to consider looking at my performance in this ship as well (which I included in my original post on this thread).

I of course already know what your performance will look like considering how you are advocating how to play the ship, and obviously you've had many more battles to improve your statistics whereas I pretty much quit Randoms at ~5000 battles less than you because I find Random battles rather boring. And I didn't mean specifically stats just for Podvoisky as it plays pretty similar, if not quite the same as say Minsk and Leningrad.

2 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

So how do you play the Podvoisky if not following her traditional play style?  The Podvoisky is a versatile ship, and there are times to get in closer to engage opposing destroyers (within 6-8km), but otherwise performs best playing at range against the opposition.  I have no issues playing at range to erase cruisers and burn battleships to the waterline.  I'll cap once opposing destroyers are sunk or driven off.

I have a very different playstyle for the Russian destroyers than pretty much everyone else who plays them, and anyone who has seen my replays whether on my own YouTube channel or the replays I sent to Lord_Zath can see it very easily. It's really not that easy to explain in just a few sentences. If you want to discuss ship builds, playstyle, and strategy, let me know as I'm not going make some super long post here that hardly anyone will likely read anyway.

[STW-D]
Members
84 posts
15,988 battles
48 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

I of course already know what your performance will look like considering how you are advocating how to play the ship, and obviously you've had many more battles to improve your statistics whereas I pretty much quit Randoms at ~5000 battles less than you because I find Random battles rather boring. And I didn't mean specifically stats just for Podvoisky as it plays pretty similar, if not quite the same as say Minsk and Leningrad.

I have a very different playstyle for the Russian destroyers than pretty much everyone else who plays them, and anyone who has seen my replays whether on my own YouTube channel or the replays I sent to Lord_Zath can see it very easily. It's really not that easy to explain in just a few sentences. If you want to discuss ship builds, playstyle, and strategy, let me know as I'm not going make some super long post here that hardly anyone will likely read anyway.

A lengthy description should not be required.  Play in co-op is very predictable since the opposing bots (and even the allied bots) behave largely the same--they blindly move forward to engage.  When I play co-op with a Soviet gunboat, I 1) use smoke to fire from concealment, and 2) ambush bots by leveraging terrain to mask my approach to them.  Bots have an uncanny way of avoiding torpedoes, so I often find I need to drop them from point-blank range to ensure a kill.

I find it curious that you find random battles boring since they are unquestionably more dynamic than co-op battles.  No judgment of your playing preferences.  Just noting that the successful play styles for random and co-op are sharply different.

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
Clarification of co-op bot behavior

[-BRS-]
Members
963 posts
15,451 battles
1 hour ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

A lengthy description should not be required.  Play in co-op is very predictable since the opposing bots (and even the allied bots) behave largely the same--they blindly move forward to engage.  When I play co-op with a Soviet gunboat, I 1) use smoke to fire from concealment, and 2) ambush bots by leveraging terrain to mask my approach to them.  Bots have an uncanny way of avoiding torpedoes, so I often find I need to drop them from point-blank range to ensure a kill.

I find it curious that you find random battles boring since they are unquestionably more dynamic than co-op battles.  No judgment of your playing preferences.  Just noting that the successful play styles for random and co-op are sharply different.

Yes, coop play is fairly predictable but that isn't where I spend most of my play time either. I now mostly play Scenarios and/or game events like the recent Savage Battles, other than dabbling a little in Ranked and clan stuff. Coop is merely just a tool to get stuff like directives done.