Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Udaloi — Soviet Tier IX destroyer.

14 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,346 posts
597 battles

Udaloi — Soviet Tier IX destroyer.

The most advanced Soviet destroyer among those designed before 1941 (Project 35). Udaloiwas large in size and could run at a very high speed for this type of ship. In terms of the power of her main guns, she outclassed most of her foreign counterparts.
800px-%D0%A3%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

This is the quintessential soviet gunboat: fast, maneuverable, solid main battery, funtional torpedoes. This boat can consistently dodge incoming shells and hit enemy ships out to it's respectable max range of around 14.5km or so. For a long time this was my go-to ship for a good game. Now, with the tashkent turret upgrade, I find myself leaning toward the tashkent more because of the heal. Nevertheless, with those great guns, smoke firing with the Udaloi always pays off. 

Honestly, there are days when I'm ready to dump the khab and just play the tier IX gunboats as they have so much to recommend them. 

As always, I play back and never go in the cap first. That's not a big problem because even if you are the only DD on a cap, you have the range to reach the supporting Battleships and Cruisers and set them on fire until they turn away to repair or go to an easier cap. Once that happens, you and your support can bully the capping DD out of the cap. Alternatively, you wait until the enemy DD makes a mistake or gets radared, then kill him and then cap. 

I play this ship in full gunboat build, but with a concealment build, you have the capacity for a small window of stealth torping, and with 15 torps, that's no joke. That third launcher always catches the red team by surprise. You pay a high price in maneuverability, though, and since this is the most agile high-tier Russian gunboat, I don't like that option. It is viable, though. 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,986 posts
4,845 battles
On 10/6/2018 at 8:14 AM, mrieder79 said:

This is the quintessential soviet gunboat: fast, maneuverable, solid main battery, funtional torpedoes. This boat can consistently dodge incoming shells and hit enemy ships out to it's respectable max range of around 14.5km or so. For a long time this was my go-to ship for a good game. Now, with the tashkent turret upgrade, I find myself leaning toward the tashkent more because of the heal. Nevertheless, with those great guns, smoke firing with the Udaloi always pays off. 

Honestly, there are days when I'm ready to dump the khab and just play the tier IX gunboats as they have so much to recommend them. 

As always, I play back and never go in the cap first. That's not a big problem because even if you are the only DD on a cap, you have the range to reach the supporting Battleships and Cruisers and set them on fire until they turn away to repair or go to an easier cap. Once that happens, you and your support can bully the capping DD out of the cap. Alternatively, you wait until the enemy DD makes a mistake or gets radared, then kill him and then cap. 

I play this ship in full gunboat build, but with a concealment build, you have the capacity for a small window of stealth torping, and with 15 torps, that's no joke. That third launcher always catches the red team by surprise. You pay a high price in maneuverability, though, and since this is the most agile high-tier Russian gunboat, I don't like that option. It is viable, though. 

Comrade, what is the recommended 16 point captain, and upgrades to abuse this boat to it's full potential? 

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

PT - this is a must on all RU gunboats. You'd be amazed how often people just don't target you. When that happens, get a nice spot, cut engine, and burn them down

PM - because sh*t always gets broken on DDs. Recommend special RU commander with 45% reduction in module damage rate

LS - standard

AR - for extra dakka

SE - for tankiness

DE - for fire chance (then BFT when you hit 19 pts) - see below for a discussion of these two skills.

AFT - for range

DE will make you more dangerous to cruisers and BBs as it increases your fire chance and helps you stack fires. BFT will help you vs enemy DDs. Preference and playstyle will dictate your choice. Probably BFT is a little better as killing DDs is very important for winning matches. Either way, they are strong choices and neither will disappoint. Once you hit 19 points, you will want both anyway. 

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

Listen to the advice that starts around 17:00 to 17:30.  That's how you do it with RU dds. Kuro is, of course, dead on. Thanks for the vid, Kuro. Always like to watch well-played RU dds.

Edited by mrieder79

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I don't put any points into concealment. I just stay back and gun it the whole game. Pretty much nobody can hit you pat 12 km. If you are good and they are bad, you can get as close and 9-10km, althought that is really pushing it and not generally recommended. You obviously don't want to be contesting caps. You stay back and shoot at support ships until they burn down or run away, then you can start bullying out the red dds. It is a killing ship more than a capping ship. Later in the game you can cap more easily too once the enemy dd population has dwindled. Generally in a 1v1 you can defeat all t9 dds except other RU dds, unless you get ambushed at close range by one of those dpm monsters. If you can open the distance, though, the odds are in your favor. I have completely wasted kitakazes at 10 km because they kept shooting with those floaty shells. 

Members
458 posts

If the red team has non-VMF DDs, you're team is going to start off with a major disadvantage. I have the Tashkent and Udaloi, but never felt that I was doing more than farming damage. Not being able to contest caps could be one of the big reasons you don't seen that many VMF DDs in higher tier games. 

Members
2,118 posts
10,686 battles
On 12/26/2018 at 1:17 PM, tinfoilpaperweight said:

How do you deal with 7,2km concealment?

I approach the I'm the only DD on my team and I'm in a visible RU DD situation like this:

1.  Is their any cover that lets me move into the cap without getting spotted early?  If so I might try to sneak in.  Coming around an island ambushing non gunboat DDs can be quite devastating, but is high risk.  Always weigh the risk.  When in doubt play the long game.

2.  Do I have allied radar covering the cap?  If so I will initially position to fire at DDs behind typically safe islands or areas my team mates cant get to safely.  The is quite nasty in RU DDs with smoke like Udaloi and Grozovoy.  If possible ripping up the enemy DDs early on gives you a major advantage as the game goes on.  Always think ambush.

3.  No radar or cover at the cap?  Or its a standard battle?  I play the long game.  The long game consists of walking over the bloody wrecks of the enemy.  The main threat here is torps, or a clever DD that gets pretty close and smokes up to shoot you.  With AFT RU DDs are usually easily spotted by the enemy's team mates.  This is where your smoke or heal comes in handy if you cant disengage quickly.  On my initial approach if I am not spotting BBs etc to shoot I will open fire blindly to see if I get spotted.  Do it with speed boost active and ready to evade, meaning dont be bow into the enemy but at least perpendicular to the likely enemy positions for quick egress.  In general I start shooting hte first thing I spot then prioritize targets like this low HP targets and ships that used repair>DDs>radar CA>CA>BB>CV.

1 hour ago, guns_at_last_light said:

If the red team has non-VMF DDs, you're team is going to start off with a major disadvantage. I have the Tashkent and Udaloi, but never felt that I was doing more than farming damage. Not being able to contest caps could be one of the big reasons you don't seen that many VMF DDs in higher tier games. 

It requires a brain to do it right.  I dont feel its that bad a disadvantage.  The flip side is your team probably has a firepower advantage.  See above.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 1

Members
409 posts
603 battles

No radar or cover at the cap?  Or its a standard battle?  I play the long game.  The long game consists of walking over the bloody wrecks of the enemy. 

That is almost a sentence for a firm...

[SPTR]
Members
26,343 posts
11,630 battles

Im having a good time in ranked with this ship

shot-19.02.05_22.49.51-0613.jpg

shot-19.02.07_15.30.48-0521.jpg

shot-19.02.10_18.33.41-0737.jpg

[PNG]
Members
18 posts
4,666 battles

I am hating the crap out of this ship. It feels like a bad ship that's in the wrong destroyer tree. Terrible torp range, not enough health and firepower to be a good visible gunboat (seriously, the RoF is awful), not enough conceal to be a good contester, not enough of anything to actually do any job.
The captain build is completly wrong for any of the other post-branch DD's and it feels like it's just an attempt at doubloon grabs from respec to not be completely [edited]in the ship.

Sign in to follow this