You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Farragut — American Tier VI destroyer.

7 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,434 posts
645 battles

Farragut — American Tier VI destroyer.

The first U.S. destroyer of the new generation. She was armed with dual-purpose artillery, which significantly enhanced her AA defenses. The torpedo tubes were placed along the ship’s centerline, and thus they could be used more efficiently. The destroyers of this class were modernized to receive automatic AA guns.
Farragut_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[B_O_W]
Members
345 posts
6,078 battles

It has taken me a few too many matches to figure this one out.  Now that I have a better grasp, I think it is an awesome ship at Tier VI.  Fantastic gun boat!  Good ambush torps.  In that order.  It takes the next tier Vii, The Mahan,  to be able to Ninja Torp.    The Farragut can not, so you must either ambush or suicide  charge to use your torps.  But to detect, hide, conceal, and spam HE is just fantastic!  I pity opposition DD's that face a Farragut!

My current Captain 13 skill points are allocated, in order as:

Priority Target (1) - up see how many ships detect you, and how many are aiming at you!

Last Stan (2) - allows you to continue moving and steering if your engine and steering get disabled.  This will keep you alive when hurt!

Superintendent (3) - Extra smoke and boot.  Keeps you hidden and moving faster!

Concealment Expert (4) - when not using guns, your are much more difficult for the enemy to detect you

Basic firing Training (3) - greatly increases the rate of fire of guns plus extends AA range.  Makes a good gunboat a nasty gunboat!

Great ship!

Edited by Texas_Vet

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
651 posts
2,875 battles

Farragut is really squishy and in my humble opinion needs Survival Expert more than Superintendent. I find I rarely actually go through all of my smokes in an average game, to say nothing of speed boosts. Sometimes I miss having that extra smoke, but not often. The synergy between Survival Expert and Adrenaline Rush is really nice, and helps keep you in the game longer so you can actually make use of the DPM those guns put out when you're running low on health. Priority Target, Last Stand, and Concealment Expert are must-have skills for most destroyers, except for concealment in the case of the high-tier Russian gunboats.

--Helms

[-GS-]
Members
12 posts
821 battles

Just picked it up and started playing it. Very steep learning curve, but those guns rock.

[TASC]
Members
196 posts
7,976 battles

I stopped using this ship because of the changes to the Carriers. I do not use any tier 6 destroyers now.

• Cool 1

[SNAP]
[SNAP]
Members
3 posts
3,704 battles

I struggle with its Detection range v. Torp range, so I know I still have to work out its ambushing capabilities. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

[TASC]
Members
196 posts
7,976 battles

I would hide in smoke when a Battleship headed my way. That way you can torp them without being shot up too much. With changes to carriers, you get spotted all the time.