Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Mutsuki — Japanese Tier V destroyer.

10 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,199 posts
1,206 battles

Developed from the Minekaze class, equipped with a reinforced torpedo armament. This class inherited high speed and sufficiently powerful artillery from its predecessors. Greater dimensions made it possible to equip these destroyers with 610 mm torpedoes.
Mutsuki_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

Members
115 posts
215 battles

Klx9PsI.png

Well I'm not sure if this is pure luck or a combination of factors, but I'm really having fun with the Mutsuki in tier V ranked!

Also I'm too scared to play random battles lest I end up bottom tier lol 

Oh yea 19pt Captain possiably helps too.. 

Edited by tk208

Members
728 posts
9,027 battles

Let me start by saying I really like the IJN DD line.

How anyone can find this craptacular ship fun is beyond me.

A low point of the line.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,440 posts
13,793 battles

Never understood how but I had a pretty good win rate in this ship. Better than the Minekaze (which started as the pre-nerf version). Maybe because it forces you to play the complete ninja playstyle since WG neglected to put any guns on it. Very little temptation to get into a gun battle with it unless the opponent is on deaths door. Haven't played it in in a long while however since I have a Fujin...

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Never understood how but I had a pretty good win rate in this ship. Better than the Minekaze (which started as the pre-nerf version). Maybe because it forces you to play the complete ninja playstyle since WG neglected to put any guns on it. Very little temptation to get into a gun battle with it unless the opponent is on deaths door. Haven't played it in in a long while however since I have a Fujin...

Also, apparently the Mutsuki has relatively QF (quick-firing) guns compared to the Minekaze, so the damaging 8 km torps combined with around 8 percent less gun DPM and good concealment helps the ship.

Edited by tyinnow

[CVA16]
Members
4,440 posts
13,793 battles
On 9/11/2018 at 5:34 AM, turbo07 said:

Developed from the Minekaze class, equipped with a reinforced torpedo armament. This class inherited high speed and sufficiently powerful artillery from its predecessors. Greater dimensions made it possible to equip these destroyers with 610 mm torpedoes

Just noticed that the picture at the top of this thread is NOT the Mutsuki. At least not the in-game version. The picture shows a 4 gun DD (old 120mm) with no 25mm mounts. Tough to tell if it has the 2 triple tubes (COULD be only doubles). But, there are only 4 torp tracks. Tough to do that with triple launchers.

Also, it may have had "sufficiently powerful artillery" at one point, but the in-game version has the weakest guns on any T4+ (even T3?) ship.

[WOLFG]
Members
405 posts
3,740 battles

Just had a meme game with this ship.

Go in for a cap, get spotted, half health, run & smoke behind an island, trapped.

While I'm in the smoke a cruiser with no health blunders into the cap.

One gun on target. One shell fired. One hit. One kill.

Avoided some enemy torps fired into my smoke by pure luck positioning.

Just as the smoke is dying out an enemy DD without much health seems to forget I'm in there and tries pushing past the cap, at point blank range to me.

Torps away!

One torp hit. Another kill.

As I get out of the smoke and get behind an island I notice a pushing BB.

I have no health left at this point but make a torp run knowing I'm going to get spotted by a DD that's lurking.

The BB gets smacked with 3 torps for 38k damage, but the DD has runs into the BB while shooting me, it finishes me off, but a fourth torpedo runs past the stern and smashes the stationary DD and blows it up.

Three kills with 1 shell and 2 torpedoes, 48k damage all up, dev strike & only a flesh wound.

This ship is rubbish but at least it forces you to pay attention. 

Edited by macktkau2

[SRPH]
Members
90 posts
1,469 battles

When I first started playing Mutsuki I really *hated* it. Fifty eight games later (took me forever to grind to Fubuki)...it’s my favorite destroyer. I have no idea how that happened. It’s a torpedo ninja and the big torps kill things. The guns are relatively fast. And it has lethal AA, which combined with better torpedoes sets it above Minekaze for me. 

[CVA16]
Members
4,440 posts
13,793 battles
5 hours ago, Chados said:

When I first started playing Mutsuki I really *hated* it. Fifty eight games later (took me forever to grind to Fubuki)...it’s my favorite destroyer. I have no idea how that happened. It’s a torpedo ninja and the big torps kill things. The guns are relatively fast. And it has lethal AA, which combined with better torpedoes sets it above Minekaze for me. 

Many ships give a really bad first impression when they have no upgrades and a low pt captain. Mutsuki NEEDS CE more that most DDs as getting spotted means your torps are likely to miss and EVERY red boat out there wants to  gun fight you. 

The AA is respectable compared to its Tier range DDs. However, there is that getting spotted problem mentioned above.

Haven't really played it in a while (drag it out for Snowflakes). I ended up with a 60% WR in it. Much better than my Minekaze. But I played it less far less. Just didn't enjoy it as much. I want the faster loading torps so I can try again, more guns for a better alpha strike when you have to use them and higher speed to get in and out. In the current meta where CVs are now common for T5 ships, Muts has advantages if it gets harassed by aircraft. At least it isn't helpless. On the other hand you may be tempted to leave your AA on (because you actually have AA) which will get you spotted sooner. You can leave it on in the Muts (or Fujin/Kamikaze) as it won't kick on until you are spotted anyway (on or off the effectiveness remains about the same).

Members
742 posts
8,431 battles

Mutsuki is in fact my most-played ship.  She will probably be the only one on which I will mount the new Torpedo Tubes Mod1 in upgrade slot 3.  Every other DD I think will have enough of a reliance on guns to not want to give up Aiming Systems Mod1.

Sign in to follow this