Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Akatsuki — Japanese Tier VII destroyer.

9 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,209 posts
1,210 battles

Akatsuki — Japanese Tier VII destroyer.

This ship belonged to the "special type" series of destroyers. In contrast to Fubuki-class ships, she had more efficient propulsion and boasted a substantially higher speed.
Akatsuki_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[SC]
Members
7 posts
16,945 battles

When I'm not in my Bly, I'm fighting her at Tier VII....a good all around DD, which is able to hold her own with the IXs.

2018-10-18 (1).png

Edited by Paul_WK

[-BAB-]
[-BAB-]
Members
10 posts
9,330 battles

After finishing the American DD line I decided to pick up where I left off with the IJN DD's so I bought the Akatsuki. I have to admit, I was still playing as if I was in a US DD and was totally thrown off by the slow reload rate (7.5s) compared to the 3.0s (+/- depending on Cpt Skills), but the faster torpedo reload and the quick adaptation made to the guns made for a really fun experience! I'm totally looking forward to advancing this line!

[DDMAF]
Members
2,435 posts
14,464 battles

GUNBOTE BUILD AKATSUKI IS HILARIOUS.

Seriously. Build this ship's captain and upgrades entirely around gun performance. It has absurdly high alpha damage, and just smacks the hell outta other DDs. The torpedoes will still be there, but usable guns on this little monster is a must.

My 10 point captain right now (left my 19 point torpedo captain in reserve until I re-acquire Kagero) is PM, EM, BFT and CE. I use the Main Battery Mod 2 to upgrade my turret speed, and it pays off. It becomes a gun fighting bully in cap that also happens to be a sick torpedo boat.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,306 posts
12,728 battles
41 minutes ago, legozer said:

GUNBOTE BUILD AKATSUKI IS HILARIOUS.

Seriously. Build this ship's captain and upgrades entirely around gun performance. It has absurdly high alpha damage, and just smacks the hell outta other DDs. The torpedoes will still be there, but usable guns on this little monster is a must.

My 10 point captain right now (left my 19 point torpedo captain in reserve until I re-acquire Kagero) is PM, EM, BFT and CE. I use the Main Battery Mod 2 to upgrade my turret speed, and it pays off. It becomes a gun fighting bully in cap that also happens to be a sick torpedo boat.

Yeah so many players do not realize the power of IJN torpedo boat line has in their guns. This is likely thanks to Mutsuki not being able to use her guns at all without being sunk. Fubuki has decent gun power, but it’s at Akatsuki that the line really gets some nice guns. And the fact they often have shorted ranged guns can actually be a Benefit as they can can sink a ship, then often enough instantly vanish if enemy reinforcements are beyond your gun range.

Akatsuski captain training also has Shinome that is similar enough to Akatsuki in performance and style that it can easily pass a specially built Captain back and forth to aid in training Akatsuki’s captain more quickly.

I have 16 point captain so far on it with PM, LS, AR, SE, TAE, CE. AR is nice because it can speed up reload of both guns and the torpedo launchers. LS allows you to stay mobile and in control if damaged. SE is really good for any gunboat DD as it gives you more of the all important HP that allows you to keep fighting longer.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,435 posts
14,464 battles
51 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

thanks to Mutsuki not being able to use her guns at all

I used to think that T-22 was the worst possible boat at its tier, but Mutsuki made a STRONG case for itself. 

53 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

PM, LS, AR, SE, TAE, CE

I took EM as my first 2 point skill because I couldn't help myself. Realistically, I should have started with LS....but gunboating in this thing is just so much fun (higher alpha output than even the Haida)!

SE is a priority, too, for my build, as I do trade HP away for kills and caps, and Akatsuki doesn't have a good health pool, even after upgrading to hull B (13,100 hp vs 14,100 for Mahan, 15,100 for Minsk and 15,700 for Haida).

[RKLES]
Members
11,306 posts
12,728 battles
9 hours ago, legozer said:

I used to think that T-22 was the worst possible boat at its tier, but Mutsuki made a STRONG case for itself. 

I took EM as my first 2 point skill because I couldn't help myself. Realistically, I should have started with LS....but gunboating in this thing is just so much fun (higher alpha output than even the Haida)!

SE is a priority, too, for my build, as I do trade HP away for kills and caps, and Akatsuki doesn't have a good health pool, even after upgrading to hull B (13,100 hp vs 14,100 for Mahan, 15,100 for Minsk and 15,700 for Haida).

The problem Mutsuki has is even though it’s rather stealthy, nice enough mobility, and torpedoes that technically can hit hard. It only had 2 single barrel main gun turrets and the torpedoes have wacky launch patterns that even when on narrow torpedo spread pattern they end up with odd gaps that allow ships to easily pass through the torpedo walls even if said target is a broadside BB. 

This is what makes Fubuki, Akatsuki, and the rest of the ships so remarkable is they get more normalized torpedo spread patterns, and dual gun turrets that not only make hitting a target with shells easier, but also gives enough shell hits to do damage to targets.

As for your Akatsuki build if you get the chance to reset your captain for free then replace EM with LS, and maybe consider TAE instead of BFT, although BFT is not bad either since you get better AA and 20% faster gun reload. But you will find Adrenaline Rush to be really awesome, back in the day I totally underestimated AR, but now it’s considered one of the most essential skill for my ships. Although Last Stand on a DD is still more important because of just how often the rudder, engine, or both get knocked out which is fatal most of the time.

I also totally understand how you made the mistake of taking EM over LS, because with how Akatsuki turrets turn I considered it in my build at some point as well, but if you keep an eye on surroundings and the mini map you can usually have the turrets point in the right direction ahead of time. Which is excellent practice for being a stealthy torpedo boat DD, you need to keep watch for good targets and areas to move in on said targets, and even some spots where an island could allow you to do a devastating point blank range torpedo ambush enemy BB or CA. 

Other things you require for gunboat Akatsuki build is having all premium Consumables set to resupply for credits. Because you you need to be able to put out fires often, use smoke often, and use speed boost very often for escape or moving in for attacks. Using Sierra Mike signal flags when ever possible is also highly recommended to give the ship a little extra speed, but it can manage without them of course.

• Cool 2

[SLDS]
Members
543 posts
4,493 battles
55 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The problem Mutsuki has is even though it’s rather stealthy, nice enough mobility, and torpedoes that technically can hit hard. It only had 2 single barrel main gun turrets and the torpedoes have wacky launch patterns that even when on narrow torpedo spread pattern they end up with odd gaps that allow ships to easily pass through the torpedo walls even if said target is a broadside BB. 

This is what makes Fubuki, Akatsuki, and the rest of the ships so remarkable is they get more normalized torpedo spread patterns, and dual gun turrets that not only make hitting a target with shells easier, but also gives enough shell hits to do damage to targets.

As for your Akatsuki build if you get the chance to reset your captain for free then replace EM with LS, and maybe consider TAE instead of BFT, although BFT is not bad either since you get better AA and 20% faster gun reload. But you will find Adrenaline Rush to be really awesome, back in the day I totally underestimated AR, but now it’s considered one of the most essential skill for my ships. Although Last Stand on a DD is still more important because of just how often the rudder, engine, or both get knocked out which is fatal most of the time.

I also totally understand how you made the mistake of taking EM over LS, because with how Akatsuki turrets turn I considered it in my build at some point as well, but if you keep an eye on surroundings and the mini map you can usually have the turrets point in the right direction ahead of time. Which is excellent practice for being a stealthy torpedo boat DD, you need to keep watch for good targets and areas to move in on said targets, and even some spots where an island could allow you to do a devastating point blank range torpedo ambush enemy BB or CA. 

Other things you require for gunboat Akatsuki build is having all premium Consumables set to resupply for credits. Because you you need to be able to put out fires often, use smoke often, and use speed boost very often for escape or moving in for attacks. Using Sierra Mike signal flags when ever possible is also highly recommended to give the ship a little extra speed, but it can manage without them of course.

I jokingly refer to gunfighting in Mutsuki as "Dink dink dink"

Sign in to follow this