You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Shimakaze — Japanese Tier X destroyer.

26 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,342 posts
1,300 battles

Shimakaze — Japanese Tier X destroyer.

Shimakaze, hull number 125, was an experimental destroyer, envisioned as the new generation of destroyer design for the Imperial Japanese Navy, born from the 1939 4th Naval Armaments Supplement Programme. Bigger and greater in tonnage than previous types, she carried a larger, higher pressure powerplant than her predecessors, which resulted in the highest speed of any Imperial Japanese destroyer, along with the largest torpedo broadside of any previous destroyer, whilst still carrying a typical complement of main guns.
Shimakaze_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of destroyers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
14,189 battles

Why is the Shima in the picture torping an island? It also looks like a wide spread but with completely parallel tracks? Can we have that in game?

• Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,471 posts
20,094 battles
3 hours ago, chewonit said:

Why is the Shima in the picture torping an island? It also looks like a wide spread but with completely parallel tracks? Can we have that in game?

In this case those are torps fired at the Shima (or another off screen target) that missed. Note the guns are facing forward. Those are slow IJN turrets. They would still be facing the island if it had launched those torps. You can also see a trace of the torp tracks on the  port side of the ship.

Edited by Sabot_100

[SC]
Members
7 posts
20,862 battles
48 minutes ago, Paul_WK said:

I work my Shima...

2018-08-27.png

2018-08-18 (2).png

2018-08-15 (1).png

2018-08-09 (2).png

Support your local DD!

Members
1 post
5,323 battles

i dunno if it is the right place to post this bu i am very angry...

Shima is a useless  junk in the game... i run torpedo acceleration in order to minimize the reacion time of the enemy.

but even with 81kts torps who have 6,4 km range fired from a parallel course to a bb, a Yamato can out-maneuver my torps.. 

go hit ANYTHING with Shima torps the target must be too busy or blind.

Members
2,834 posts
94 battles
On 1/13/2019 at 4:34 AM, OGefr_Porta said:

Shima is a useless  junk in the game... i run torpedo acceleration in order to minimize the reacion time of the enemy.

but even with 81kts torps who have 6,4 km range fired from a parallel course to a bb, a Yamato can out-maneuver my torps.. 

Two words:

Gid Gud.

WoWS Community Contributors
3,487 posts
13,958 battles
On 1/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, OGefr_Porta said:

Take a look at my youtube below.  I have a ton of how to IJN torp boat as it was one of the most frustrating lines for players it seems.

Send me a replay.  I'll take a look and send you back a personal coaching commentary to help you.

• Cool 1

Members
2 posts
15,672 battles

There are multiple videos on YouTube about how to play.  Shima has 15 torpedoes for a reason.  Players at Tier X have the most experience and are good at dodging torps.  I have had some luck, at least 1 torpedo hitting, by firing all 3 racks and heavily overlapping the spreads.  This fills in the gaps between the torps so even if a ship sees them and turns into the spread.

[SYN]
Members
1,423 posts
11,072 battles

I was having a slump yesterday, so I loaded F3s to shake things up a little. My first game was fun:

I had some other good games later also. Such a fun bote. 

shot-19.04.04_09.00.31-0290.jpg

[FNS]
Members
1 post
2,113 battles
On 1/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, OGefr_Porta said:

the problem with shima torps is that they got nerfed a few times and get spotted way sooner than the other. so yeah as the other guy said you re somewhat forced to saturate water with torps in order to hit. But it also means that your reload time sucks a lot and the amount of damage one torp can deal is a little bit weak in regards of how easy they made it to dodge.

i don't know what to say, it used to be a long range torp spammer so it attracted a lot of insecure player spamming shimakze in everygame and saturating the middle of the map with torps.

the nerf just made them play something else like, long smoke screen duration destroyers or "stealthy sniper" battleships. somehow their games are getting completly anihilated by people playing world of Xvm whatever the vehicule type we re playing.

the only feeling i get playing warships is that the worst a player is the harder he will hold to something that doesn't make him feel like crap. i would compare that to small country dictatures. you have that one guy who is stronger than the other and treat em badly and oen day the little mistreated one becomes a little better and start thinking his time has come to be the ultimate failure.

In the meantime rationality suffers and the victory purpose bends to the individual statistics of random [edited] playing farmville and judging ships on their ability to snipe and disapear.

So yeah... of course you need to get better but at the end of the day you ll be the only good player of your team with the frustration that lies behind the abitlity to create  valid multiplayers solution/moves in an isntant by following your minimap or just being one of the few guys who can actually brawl properly in this community.

the funniest thing you can notice as a destroyer player is that once you ve colored a cap, enemies will avoid it instead of contesting it while your allies will somehow act as if you ve won that side of the map and get themselves into a sudden push. i d say that basically the purpose of holding points is to avoid being forced to engage a defensive set up... anyway i was talking about something else. And obviously if your allies notice that a cap has been locked by the enemy team they will everytime back up.

you also have that type of DD player that will never scout for his team or contest a cap but will use other people scouting to farm from a smoke. Couple that with sniper BBs and youre losing every single cruiser that got bored of waiting for everyone else to do his job and got himself killed scouting in the place of destroyers/carriers or pusning in the place of BBs.

if i had to say one thing on every single forum of WG games it would be that HP IS A RESSOURCE as well as neurons but it does not mean we have to save every bit of it till we die, especially taking part in a VIRTUAL simple mechanics METAGAME, wich basically means that you can make an infinite number of mistakes to improve yourself without any penalty BUT being a [edited]insecure [edited] is unforgivable.

i'm sorry dude it seems i got a little carried on but it gets me to my final point and i will make it join the shima torps problem ( cosnidering they got nerfed because of that gigantic community problem) if you can't stand vertical by yourself using your legs and individual abitlities as a human being just face it and don't pollute video games with fear and social recognition needs.

the ability to play the game and read the map properly comes with the ability to see victory before survival, and funnily enough it does a better job saving ships and stats.

"You French fight for money while we fight for honour"- captured brittish officer

"Each of us fights for what he lacks most" - Robert Surcouf

Edited by Pinedhuitre

[SYN]
Members
1,423 posts
11,072 battles
On 1/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, OGefr_Porta said:

I hope you have had better luck.

TA with F3s is overkill. F3s on a truly broadside BB at 7.5 can be 4 to 6 hits. 

F3s are a distinct playstyle. I tried the TA option on the 12km torpedoes, but found those 2 skill points better utilized in buffing guns for late game DD hunting or mid game defense against DDs hunting me. I got into a gunfight with a healthy Groz who tried to torp me while I gunned him down. Speaking of irony. 

Let us know how you have gotten on with the lady.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,969 posts
26,039 battles

I just want to add that the torpedo tube traverse penalty on this Destroyer's Legendary is way too severe.  I feel like I'm waiting on Yamato's old 72 second turret traverse.  That's all.

Members
1,183 posts
On 1/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, OGefr_Porta said:

Uh, that has to be user error.  I run F3’s without torpedo acceleration and hit DD’s and Henri’s as well as BB’s.  The biggest advantage you have is stealth... if they know where you are, torp hits are hard.  Also, you need to anticipate their maneuvers: where are they headed? Behind an island? Crossing the map? Angling armor against another ship? If you understand the opponent’s intention, you’ll land more torps.  Simply using the white lead indicator is not enough.

Edited by n00bot

Members
1,183 posts
On 7/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I just want to add that the torpedo tube traverse penalty on this Destroyer's Legendary is way too severe.  I feel like I'm waiting on Yamato's old 72 second turret traverse.  That's all.

It is way too severe.  WG clearly hates the Shima.  I don’t use the unique upgrade at all.

[HEROS]
Members
2,086 posts
18,849 battles

So I finally got myself a Shima that wasn't a rental for ranked battles.  By build is likely typical or maybe atypical.  Ya'll tell me..  I've had her about 2 /3 months now. My play in her I would rate Good and every once in a while Excellent.  I has my moments I do!

Upgrades

slot 1 -  Main Arm Mod 1

slot 2 - Engine Boost mod 1 (special - increase engine boost time by 50%)

slot 3 - Smoke Generator mod 1 (special - Action time of smoke laying +30% smoke duration -5%)

slot 4 - Propulsion Mod 1

slot 5 - Concealment systems mod 1

slot 6 - Torpedo reload mod 3

As of this post I'm 20,000 base XP from the legendary module which will give a huge reduction in torpedo reload time at the cust of greater fragility to the torpedo tubes and a 80% reduction in torpedo traverse.. Really on the fence about running it but I may as well get it.

As for commander skills the most important are of course Concealment expert, and RPF for the 4 point skills, Superintendent and torpedo armament expertise (torp reload time reduction) for 3 point skills.  2 Point - Last Stand and Torpedo Acceleration, and lastly for the 1 point Preventive Maintenance. 

For torpedo's I run the strait up type 93's which with the torpedo acceleration commande skill reach out to 16 Km at 67 knots which surprisingly catches a lot of folks out.. I'd originally run the 12k type 93 mod 3 but I kept finding myself caught by radar cruisers at just the wrong moment so I switched over to the 20k and changed up commander skills for the torp acceleration.  The faster long range torps apparently throws folks for a heleva loop  I've been getting far more hits at range then I ever expected in despite of the wonky uneven spread of the 5 tube launchers.  Apparently the extra 5 knots of speed really throws folks off in spite of the 2.5 Km torpedo detection.  Shima is a difficult ship to drive and as is obvious I haven't gone  for a gunboat type build or enhanced AA defence.  I've done quite well in her over all.  My win rate in the ship is steadily climbing.

As an IJN DD driver I consider RPF an essential skill to have.  IJN DD"s may be over all the stealthiest but there's nothing in the tier that can't out shoot you in the hands of a good player, but I do use my guns and have polished off any number of DD's cruisers (esp radar cruisers.. oh how I love shoot'n them up when I get the chance!) and even the occasional BB with guns.  There's nothing particularly bad about the IJN 127's and quite a bit about them that rather quite good.   Learn to use the guns!  And most especially learn to use them at maximum range.    Shima does not generally win close range gunnery duels so try to stay out of them, and if your pew pew is a max or near max range you can break away and disappear quite fast which can keep you alive So RPF lett'n ya know that there's something generally not a cruiser or battleship over yonder you can't see is a good thing and one can choose to hunt or give ground depending on the situation.  RPF is not magic and it has the drawback of the RPF target knowing that they're tagged with RPF.  They might not know from where but they do know, and knowing is half the battle as they say.   Still the risks of use far outweigh the risks as long as you understand it may take some time to learn how to interpret what you see.  That comes from experience and remembering and patience.

Shima is not my favorite IJN main line DD.  That honor goes to Yugumo, but she does have her strengths even though more recent tier 10's have pretty seriously power crept all over her.  doing well is more often then not a minor matter of good driving and good gunnery

and of course map position and awareness it utterly crucial.

Warlord sends

[HEROS]
Members
2,086 posts
18,849 battles

UPDATE got the legendary module and oh crap does that thing stink to high heaven.  And apparently it got nurfed and the Wiki page has not been updated.. torpedo reload is reduced by 25% not 30%, and the torpedo traverse reduction wouldn't be so so bad if the tube traverse would STOP where you tell it to.  Difficult doesn't even begin to describe just how hard it is to aim the torpedo's  as the aim will swing wildly PAST where you want it.. the reduced reload gain is almost entirely off set by the extra time it take to aim the torps..  I'm going to yank it ASAP and put the torp reload mod 3 back in.  It's a 15% reduction to reload and doesn't have the traverse penalty with the same 50% reduction to module survivability.

I cannot sufficiently state that this Legendary module was NOT worth the grind at all.. it's utter garbage and using it could get you killed while your trying to aim torps, dodge incoming, NOT ground on an island, and pay attention to whats going on around you. What a P.O.S.!

Maybe with practice I could get more comfortable with it but I strongly suspect NOT. the additional 10% reduction over the TRM3 is utterly wasted by the constant having to correct your torp aim.  I thought I'd be able to compensate by simply rotating the ship but no, not so much at all.

What were the devs thinking?  ARGGGGGGG!

Warlord sends.

(P.S.  I was warned but it was like "naw it couldn't really be that bad!  No way!"... yea it's really that bad!)

Members
2,834 posts
94 battles
17 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

UPDATE got the legendary module and oh crap does that thing stink to high heaven.  And apparently it got nurfed and the Wiki page has not been updated.. torpedo reload is reduced by 25% not 30%, and the torpedo traverse reduction wouldn't be so so bad if the tube traverse would STOP where you tell it to.  Difficult doesn't even begin to describe just how hard it is to aim the torpedo's  as the aim will swing wildly PAST where you want it.. the reduced reload gain is almost entirely off set by the extra time it take to aim the torps..  I'm going to yank it ASAP and put the torp reload mod 3 back in.  It's a 15% reduction to reload and doesn't have the traverse penalty with the same 50% reduction to module survivability.

I cannot sufficiently state that this Legendary module was NOT worth the grind at all.. it's utter garbage and using it could get you killed while your trying to aim torps, dodge incoming, NOT ground on an island, and pay attention to whats going on around you. What a P.O.S.!

Maybe with practice I could get more comfortable with it but I strongly suspect NOT. the additional 10% reduction over the TRM3 is utterly wasted by the constant having to correct your torp aim.  I thought I'd be able to compensate by simply rotating the ship but no, not so much at all.

What were the devs thinking?  ARGGGGGGG!

Warlord sends.

(P.S.  I was warned but it was like "naw it couldn't really be that bad!  No way!"... yea it's really that bad!)

Shima's legendary mod is catered to the 20km backlining Shimakaze scrubs who complained how slow their torps reload.

• Boring 1

Members
1,140 posts
8,424 battles
5 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Shima's legendary mod is catered to the 20km backlining Shimakaze scrubs who complained how slow their torps reload.

lol 

You have no idea how to play dds at any decent level. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
251 posts
18,474 battles

Seems the majority of the Shima drivers think that the legendary is more of a penalty than a bonus.  Maybe with all the changes since the legendaries were released it make sense to review their benefit vs their downside and adjust accordingly.

Tuna:fish_aqua:

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,464 posts
10,717 battles

Shima legendary module BENEFIT should be about reducing torpedo visibility by 2% per 1km that the torpedo's max range is after all capt skills are factored in. 

The 20km torps with no torp acceleration skill have a 40% drop in torpedo detection.... so from 2.5km to 1.5km.

The 20km torps with torp accel dropping it to 16km has the torps drop by 32%... so 2.5km down to 1.7km. 

The 12km torps would be 24% drop... from 1.7km detect to 1.3km (rounded up).

The 12km torps with torp accel drop to 10km so 1.7km detect down to 1.4km (rounded down). 

The 8km torps drop 16% from 1.7km detect to 1.4 km(rounded down)

The 8km torps with torp accel drop by 12.8 (round up to 13%) so from 1.7km detect down to 1.5km (rounded up).

Now, the PENALTY for using the legendary module should be in torpedo warhead damage. Again, the penalty would be 2% damage drop per 1km of torp's max range after capt skills are applied. 

The 20km torps with no torp acceleration skill have a 40% drop in damage. From 20966 to 12579.

The 20km torps with torp accel dropping it to 16km has the torps drop by 32%... From 20966 to 14256.

The 12km torps would be 24% drop... from 23766 to 18062

The 12km torps with torp accel drop to 10km so a 20% drop... from 23766 to 19012

The 8km torps drop 16% so from 21366 down to 17947

The 8km torps with torp accel drop by 13% (rounded up) so from 21366 down to  18588.

Overall, the shorter the range the higher the damage...but also the higher the visibility the shorter the range. Since the torpedos are increased in speed by torp accel the damage increase is not that much vs the non-torp accel version..that is because the reaction time is reduced by the increased speed...but at the price of the range being shorter thus more risk for the Shima. 

Additional penalties of increased vulnerability to torpedo tubes apply. However, there should be NO penalty to torpedo tube rotation rate. That only punishes the shorter torpedo range users and is of little penalty or bother to long range torp users. 

Note that at no time is Shima torps getting any much better torp detection than gearing (1.4km) ..only the 12km torps with no torp accel get 0.1 km less detect. Note that the damage the shima loses is significant the longer the torpedo's max range is... this is to balance out the fact that the shima is firing those torps usually with an incredible margin of safety to itself... so its damage output should not be high to balance it. 

Finally, note the final tally of the full damage of a 15 torp salvo with this legendary module compared to Gearing's total damage salvo:

Gearing: 17900 dmg per torp, 10 torpedoes. Total salvo damage: 179,000

Shima: 15 torpedos. Original stats: Min damage (20km torps) salvo: 314490 . Max damage (12km torps): 356490 . This is practically twice the damage of Gearing salvos. 

Salvo damage listed below:

The 20km torps with no torp acceleration skill is reduced to 12579. Total salvo damage :  188685 . A 9865 dmg increase over gearing's. 

The 20km torps with torp accel dropping it to 16km has the torps drop to 14256. Total salvo damage: 213840. A 34840 dmg increase over Gearing's. 

The 12km torps with no torp accel drop to 18062.  Total salvo damage: 270930 . a 91930 dmg increase over Gearing. 

The 12km torps with torp accel drop to 19012. Total salvo damage: 285180. A 106180 dmg increase over Gearing. 

The 8km torps with no torp accel drop to 17947. Total salvo damage:  269205 . A   90205  dgm increase over Gearing. 

The 8km torps with torp accel drop to 18588. Total Salvo damage: 278820. A 99820 dmg increase over Gearing. 

The legendary module in this case, would be swapping Shima torp's punch power for higher chances to hit. At no time is Shima's legendary module torps perform any better than Gearing in terms of stealth but they are very close to it. In exchange, its damage is reduced but the three tube launchers and its higher but not brutally higher damage over gearing torpedoes would set the Shimakaze as a BETTER than Gearing in being a torpedo boat.

Shima players who wish to retain their existing high damage punch would simply not equip the legendary module. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,423 posts
11,072 battles
On 8/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Shima is not my favorite IJN main line DD.  That honor goes to Yugumo, but she does have her strengths even though more recent tier 10's have pretty seriously power crept all over her.  doing well is more often then not a minor matter of good driving and good gunnery

and of course map position and awareness it utterly crucial.

Warlord sends

I agree on the Yugumo, but the captain build? Drop TA and get EM. When you  gotta gun in a Shimikaze, you better be ready to run, too.

Pulver out.

[SYN]
Members
1,423 posts
11,072 battles
18 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

right now it wouldn't help.. to many  "high Speed" dd's running about..the french DD's are nuisance at times..

Unless you pull them into your CL. French DD'S are like slow(more vulnerable) airplanes. 

[SOTHS]
Members
86 posts
15,432 battles

Just had best round ever in the Shimmy, torped a DD dev strike, torped a BB full health, come back from behind win by Dev strike flesh wound kill on very annoying CV, btw i am not even an average DD player, BB main

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by LTGSERIALBUTCHER