You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

Game hardware - monitor

38 comments in this topic

Members
5,128 posts
9,482 battles

Ok - so when video card prices went down near the beginning of Aug I picked up a 1080 to replace the aging the GTX 670 but I am gaming on an old (2009) Samsung 22 inch TV and an older NEC 90GX2 monitor.  I have limited desk space currently but plan to fix that by Christmas.

Not planning to go nuts - no curved 40" screens, still have kids,  and a wife so not planning on spending $500 on it either.  I do general computing with some gaming - WoWs, CoD...

Looking for:

27 inch
IPS
75-120 Hz refresh
2K at the most - older eyes can't deal with 4K at 27 inches so 1080 or 1440
DP, HDMI, DVI (will keep the NEC likely and it needs DVI - don't want to deal with VGA)
up to $350-$400 at most

No real need for G-Sync - not that much of a gamer.

Anyone have suggestions for really nice monitors that fit?

Thanks!

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,445 battles

I dont know much in the way of monitors (not enough to pull a link from my butt), but I myself am looking for a monitor. I cant decide if I want normal or wide, and to try a curved monitor or go flat

[NEMO]
Members
814 posts
8,556 battles

Depends where you're located and what currency you're spending.

Here in Alberta, $400 doesn't buy you anything special...

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
5,908 battles

My advice?  Find a good, used flat panel TV.  I've been gaming on a 36" hand-me-down from my folks that is at least 10 years old.  It does 1920 x 1080, most all of them have VGA inputs, along with DVX(?) and/or HDMI.  Probably way cheaper than a new monitor that's only going to be 2/3 the size, if not closer to half.

At a certain point, more resolution is just more expensive - once the pixels are too small to pick out individually, making them even smaller gives no discernible visible image improvement for the average viewer.

• Cool 1

Members
5,128 posts
9,482 battles
7 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

U.S...

[KAG]
Members
447 posts
22,292 battles

I have the Dell 24 inch 2k Gsync that goes to165fps.  I highly recommend.  Also have a 1080, plays around 150 fps and is on all the highest settings. I think I bought it for $399 when on sale.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
12,410 battles
40 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

27 inch
IPS
75-120 Hz refresh

When I got my new rig in Feb.  ( see sig ) I also got a new monitor . It was ~ $150.00 at the closest Microcenter store . I know it has HDMI  (which i use ) and I think DVI but not sure . Went to my storage room and got this info from the side of the box : Dell 27" Monitor SE2717HR  75 Hz refresh rate / AMD free Sync supported / ultrawide view angle 178 degree / 178 degree  . I really like it . 

:Smile_honoring:

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,539 posts
10,372 battles

Only the power of the video card needs to be considered for gaming power.  That is where fps comes into account.  The monitor only needs to be able to refresh faster than your eyes can detect, which is why 60 Hz is optimal for a monitor.

Everything else on a screen to be considered is brightness, contrast (real contrast, not fake contrast), color depth, ability to display real black (not turned off sections), and resolution.  Resolution is more important in a monitor than a TV because you are sitting much closer to it.  You need to have smaller pixel size and greater density to maintain clarity at the closer distance.

Many monitors and televisions use dynamic contrast ratio.  Watch for that piece of fake info.  It measures the ratio from full white to black with the screen pixels turned off.  That is not real black.  Real black is where a block of pixels is turned to black while the entire block is not turned off.

OLED is great for monitors if you can afford them.  They can control each individual pixel from black to white.  If you are more budget conscience, then you might have to settle for LCD.  Just make sure you look at plenty of reviews and check them out live if you can.  Use test disks to display content if you can.  Test disks will exploit speed, color, and contrast issues.

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
2 hours ago, _1204_ said:

I dont know much in the way of monitors (not enough to pull a link from my butt), but I myself am looking for a monitor. I cant decide if I want normal or wide, and to try a curved monitor or go flat

A wide, curved monitor is the way to go. At first I didn't like it, but I got used to my new Asus and now I can't go back to normal monitors. It's model is Asus P6348Q. Just measured diameter at 35 inches, Gsynch and 60hz and can set up to 100hz.

Edited by _Rumple_

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,032 posts
24,817 battles

I don't regret buying my 39 inch curved Dell monitor on sale through amazon for 800 bucks  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,679 posts
4,602 battles
17 hours ago, CylonRed said:

I replaced my big CRT last year.   Was also looking at 27" which seemed so small in the store but to be sure I came home and measured my desk space.  In situ, 27" was really pretty big so instead I got a 24" and it's perfect for my desk.  ('Course, I'm typically within 2' of it.)

24" is cheaper (new around $140 or so) so I invested in a better resolution - 1920x1200 instead of the usual 1920x1080.  It's a true 16:10 aspect ratio and makes small verticals (esp. text) much smoother.  I got a Asus VS24AH-P for a little over $200.  DVI (etc).  Very adjustable picture.  Fixed mount included but will take various other mounts. 3 yr. warranty. 

Very happy with it!

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/VS24AHP/

BTW, look at the Asus commercial monitors rather than the gaming monitors. You don't need ultra-high refresh rate.

Edited by iDuckman

[NSC]
Members
209 posts
9,724 battles

I've had a 30" monitor for about 10 years now.  Running 2560x1600 and sit about 2' from it.  Get the biggest you can, depending on resolution.  I tried a 32" tv a number of years ago and the pixels bothered me. 

[NEMO]
Members
814 posts
8,556 battles

BTW, since the last patch, WoWs FINALLY scales the UI correctly at 4k resolution...

Now I just have to save up to get one...

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
8,806 battles

I also recently upgraded my video card from a GTX560ti to a GTX1080.  I went from running in 1680x1050 at 35-40fps to running 2560x1440 at 120-140fps.  I upgraded my monitor from a 22” 60hz HP to the Dell s2716dg 27” 144hz 1440p with GSync.  It’s amazing for the price.  It was on sale at BestBuy for about $369 last month.  Reviews are strong on performance and a bit critical on color rendition, but I have no complaints at all.  I think it looks great with a few color settings tweaks you can find via Google.  For that price I think it’s a steal.

[INTEL]
Members
2,791 posts
15,369 battles
14 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Ok - so when video card prices went down near the beginning of Aug I picked up a 1080 to replace the aging the GTX 670 but I am gaming on an old (2009) Samsung 22 inch TV and an older NEC 90GX2 monitor.  I have limited desk space currently but plan to fix that by Christmas.

Not planning to go nuts - no curved 40" screens, still have kids,  and a wife so not planning on spending $500 on it either.  I do general computing with some gaming - WoWs, CoD...

Looking for:

27 inch
IPS
75-120 Hz refresh
DP, HDMI, DVI (will keep the NEC likely and it needs DVI - don't want to deal with VGA)
up to $350-$400 at most

Thanks!

ASUS VN279H

Lenovo L27q-20

Beta Testers
268 posts
14 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Looking for:

27 inch
IPS
75-120 Hz refresh
up to $350-$400 at most

Thanks!

Keep an Eye on BuildAPcSales at Reddit.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

[WOLF5]
Members
760 posts
15,951 battles

I bought a Roku 48" flat screen TV and haven't looked back. I game at 4K and the screen is about 4 feet away. (I'm 49 and have older eyes as well. This has become my little mini theater and I love it)

You can find these for 300 to 500 depending on sales and such. 

They have support for the new HDMI which gives you 60fps at 4K. (there a about two settings you need to make sure are enable for gaming)

Yes, I used to buy 'true' computer monitors, spend all kinds of time reading specs and such. Now my 29" gaming monitor has been relegated to a secondary computer...and it looks tiny and sad in comparison.

Get off the 'monitor' grind and you'll be happier. And I've heard all the [edited] about 'you don't need one that big' or 'the math shows that doesn't work for the distance' - blah blah blah. The experience blows all that out of the water. 

They are cheaper, bigger and perform well. If you are a pro gamer, get a 'real' monitor for that extra 3ms but if you just want to ENJOY your game and be able to SEE it...you'll be happier with a 4k 'smart' TV.

[YOHB]
Members
61 posts
1,884 battles

I picked up a Samsung 28 inch 4K low response rate monitor form Costco for 229 on sale, works great. I also use a older Acer predator G-Sync that I picked up used off CL for 300.00. Sometimes on the for sale by owner sites you can pick up some good deals. Just make sure you see it in operation before you buy.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts
16 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Looking for:

27 inch
IPS
75-120 Hz refresh
up to $350-$400 at most

Thanks!

If you have a 1080 go 4k, it really does make the game look very shiny, even for these old eyes.

I was rather surprised, I had looked at them before but really didn't see the advantage at the time.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
5,908 battles
19 hours ago, CylonRed said:

DVI (will keep the NEC likely and it needs DVI - don't want to deal with VGA)

19 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

DVX(?)

DVI!  Totally missed that in your original post and then couldn't remember what it was really called.  Yeah, most old flat panel TV's will have a DVI input.  This ten-year old one I'm using does - but none of the newer ones in my house do.

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
19 hours ago, Thraxian said:

Hello from the Calgary area. 

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
19 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Looking for:

27 inch
IPS
75-120 Hz refresh
up to $350-$400 at most

Thanks!

There is always the option of hanging a monitor on the wall. If a dope like me can do it, ANYONE can. Doing a cost/benefit analysis I came up with the conclusion of going with a 43 inch 4k TV instead of a monitor. I got a 43 inch Toshiba 4k TV with a Amazon Firestick built in for $299. WOW's has a scale able UI now so you can increase the UI size to pretty much any size you want. 4k gaming at 60hz is pretty awesome, even old games like Mass Effect look brand new. Windows 10 lets you scale the OS functions so at 4k the icons, tool bar, and other functions so they are the same size they were at 1080P.

Members
5,128 posts
9,482 battles
21 hours ago, Thraxian said:

BTW, since the last patch, WoWs FINALLY scales the UI correctly at 4k resolution...

Now I just have to save up to get one...

One of the reasons I did not even try and see about a monitor till now. 

I have 3 Dell 24 inch IPS monitors at work and I like them but really wanted to get a little bit bigger.  27 inch thin bezel will likely barely fit on my desk now, no way I am getting anything bigger and since I will use them for work (RDP) and other things than gaming I am not going to do curved.  May be moving into the ILs house so that is also a factor in not getting a TV. 

www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

Thanks...  (god the editing is awful)

If you have a 1080 go 4k, it really does make the game look very shiny, even for these old eyes.

I was rather surprised, I had looked at them before but really didn't see the advantage at the time.

I looked a a couple but at 27 and even 32 inches at 4K - the Start button is tiny.  I would have to run it at 1080p to keep from squinting at it.

Edited by CylonRed