You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

PSA: Wilmington; USS North Carolina in peril

70 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

XhkEg6R.png

Florence is now forecast to hit Wilmington, NC directly, and may be a category five hurricane when it does so. Storm surge is predicted to be extreme. For those of you who don't know, Wilmington isn't just home to the USS North Carolina, but large portions of the city and surrounding urban area are barely feet above sea level. We cannot act like this is not a serious threat to the ship - USS Alabama wasn't even in the direct path of Katrina and sustained serious flooding. This could be the most destructive hurricane to hit the Carolinas since Hugo, which was so powerful that it leveled entire coastal forests with winds alone. 

Some Hugo unhappy memories:

SuoMT04.jpgh7YzAFy.jpgf0UODHd.jpgWHX9ewq.jpg

If you are located anywhere near the Carolina tidewater, the time to act is NOW, not as the storm approaches. Also, if you are located in elevated areas of interior N. Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, be aware that the storm is forecast to stall and potentially dump over TWENTY INCHES OF RAIN in the high country, where the ground is already fully saturated from heavy summer rains. Catastrophic flooding is anticipated. People are going to die in this storm - don't be one of them!

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,200 battles

I was in the field when Hugo hit. Platoon sergeant came running up to the tanks shouting to take them in...because of a storm? I am thinking what the hell? We never cancel because of weather. So yeah raced them all back did just the minimum to put them to bed and headed home. 

That was a tense evening lol.

[MWM]
-Members-
293 posts
4,949 battles

In Charleston SC, already set up and been up with ST members in the effected areas. just make sure you have minimum 14 days food and water, the 3 days FEMA says is [edited]. I worked Charlie and Katrina and it was 13 days before they got power and water going in most of florida after Charlie. You all know how Katrina turned out. The Yorktown here in Charleston harbor is sunk in 8 feet of pluff mud and did not move when Hugo ( a cat 4) hit and is not going to more with this one.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
3 minutes ago, fang_cloudeye said:

In Charleston SC, already set up and been up with ST members in the effected areas. just make sure you have minimum 14 days food and water, the 3 days FEMA says is [edited]. I worked Charlie and Katrina and it was 13 days before they got power and water going in most of florida after Charlie. You all know how Katrina turned out. The Yorktown here in Charleston harbor is sunk in 8 feet of pluff mud and did not move when Hugo ( a cat 4) hit and is not going to more with this one.

Charleston *should* be okay, anyway, as it will - barring a fairly substantial track change - be on the southwestern quadrant, where the winds arrive from off the mainland. Not that it won't be a sketchy couple of days, but that will likely almost eliminate the threat of surge.

It's the unlucky people on the northern hemisphere of the system that are in terrible peril. Especially because of the shaping of the Carolina coastal regions. The water in these areas is going to back up into the marshes and sounds during the surge and have nowhere to go.

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles
5 minutes ago, fang_cloudeye said:

I was in Port Charlotte, Florida when Charley hit. We only had a couple hours notice that it had intensified and was turning into us. We sheltered at the place my mom was working at the time and came out okay. Their anemometer stopped working as the southern eyewall passed over. It was stuck at 161 mph.

[MWM]
-Members-
293 posts
4,949 battles

I work disaster prep, been on this since Friday. We will see how this goes but a storm is a storm, it will do what it wants to and you just have to deal with what comes along.

[NGA]
Members
1,970 posts
10,540 battles

Just north of Savannah, GA here and I've been watching Florence since she formed. Theoretically I'm safe. Realistically, I'm still prepared to bug out if need be. My best wishes to everyone in the path of this monster. My advice, if there's a chance she could hit you: Get out. You can't fight a hurricane. I ran when Matthew was in the area in 2016, I was ready to leave if Irma had turned north before passing Florida. When these storms hit, the only thing you can do is run and pray you still recognize the neighborhood when you get back.

Members
29 posts
1,073 battles

Been through more hurricanes than I care to count but this one could be beyond bad.  I hope people in NC are taking this seriously and I hope the USS North Carolina gets through with minimal issues. She’s a beautiful ship to visit. Was planning on take by my wife there for the first time next month.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles

North Carolina could only be safer if she was safely capable of putting out to see under her own power.

Since that is not possible, generators, back ups, and manning the pumps should keep her safe.

[INTEL]
Members
1,688 posts
14,634 battles

I was in Isabel when it ripped through VA/NC. Eye passed right over me in Suffolk, VA. Next morning a bunch of us in the area loaded my Rollback wrecker with chainsaws and cut our way through downed trees to get to town. Took 4 attempts and all day to find a route because of downed power lines. The route we did make it on had a 5' thick oak tree across the road. Better part of 5 hours chunking through that thing. Winch and deck on that rollback got a real workout!

No power or phone for over a week. Was a month for a friend.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Did someone really downvote the OP?

I dunno. Maybe they think I'm being extremist. But the thing is, almost all the spaghetti models are pretty much in agreement about this storm's track - it IS going to make landfall. Also, it blew up from a category 1 storm in a category 4 system in UNDER 12 HOURS. That's pretty close to unprecedented. The waters between it and the coast are bathtub temperature; the wind shear is minimal at best. This system is going to be very, very strong when it comes ashore, and there aren't really any factors that will stop it.

[--K--]
Members
6,631 posts
14,449 battles

There are many more important things than a museum ship in the path of this hurricane..... 

Yes, down voter? Peoples lives and livelihoods are boring and unimportant?

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,033 posts
13,265 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

There are many more important things than a museum ship in the path of this hurricane..... 

I can't disagree, but potentially losing a piece of history is sad in its own right.

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
1,073 battles

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that. I pray people are getting out of the way as it’s the only way to stay safe from a storm like this.

that being said, I am concerned about an irreplaceable piece of history that can not get out of the way.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

All the best for those in the path of Florence.

Even better is Isaac - it is projected to go into the "slot" between Central America and Cuba.  Another hurricane going into the western Gulf of Mexico in the area hit by Harvey last year.

Will be watching that one intensely - am in Houston!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

[-K-]
Members
8,033 posts
13,265 battles
4 minutes ago, Fighting_69th said:

that being said, I am concerned about an irreplaceable piece of history that can not get out of the way.

Forgive my ignorance here, but if disaster was certain, wouldn't tugs be able to get NC out of harms way as a temporary measure?  Or is she not seaworthy at all?

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,007 posts
11,078 battles

The Uss Alabama had to deal with two pretty bad ones back to back.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Forgive my ignorance here, but if disaster was certain, wouldn't tugs be able to get NC out of harms way as a temporary measure?  Or is she not seaworthy at all?

At this point, there probably isn't time to get those assets in place. Funding might also be a concern.

I cannot speak to her seaworthiness, but I assume that she could be moved. I believe that the ship is drydocked from time to time, and that requires her being towed from her berth. 

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

At the speed that they would have to go - they would not be able to move her anywhere out of the way before the storm hit.  Besides, who is going to pay for it?

I would also not be surprised at all if she was not seaworthy.  Texas is worse and there is concern even moving her into the ship channel - much less anywhere else.  NC may be getting to that point.

I also remember years back that (at least the Alabama) was open to a limited number of families to ride out a hurricane.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,200 battles

Here current berth is pretty well sheltered. Storm should be able to do too much.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
42 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Just a reminder that storms like this are not caused by global climate change. ExxonMobil knows best.

Actually we have had the fewest hurricanes since Katrina in 2005 make landfall in the U.S. since records have been kept going back to the mid 19th century.  That's like 13 years. Interesting in that the computer models "predicted" after Kartrina, something like 15-20 a year. Has not happened. Not even close. As for devastation, well there is a hell of a lot more to devastate on our Eastern coast and the gulf than there was just 30-40 years ago. Intensity? Debated. Been lots of cat 4-5 hurricanes in the past 100+ years. Most never hit anything cause there was nothing to hit but vacant land. Today landfall anywhere from New England all the way to West Texas is going to be bad....

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[--K--]
Members
6,631 posts
14,449 battles
33 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I can't disagree, but potentially losing a piece of history is sad in its own right.

very much so, so it being a footnote after everything would have been appropriate rather than the main focus of this post about the hurricanes potential devastation.

Edited by Ducky_shot

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,403 battles
24 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

20 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

The Uss Alabama had to deal with two pretty bad ones back to back.

18 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

At this point, there probably isn't time to get those assets in place. Funding might also be a concern.

I cannot speak to her seaworthiness, but I assume that she could be moved. I believe that the ship is drydocked from time to time, and that requires her being towed from her berth. 

North Carolina and Alabama are actually sitting in the mud, much like Yorktown. Unless a dredge is called in, the ships are not going anywhere. Massachusetts and Texas (to a point) are afloat and capable of being moved.

I think there was a possibility of North Carolina being dredged out and taken to a drydock, but I haven't heard anything on that. Alabama gets hullwork done while in place.

[SFBG]
Members
1,664 posts
9,407 battles
23 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

She can't be moved, they completed a multi-million dollar cofferdam that completely surrounds the ship just this summer.

She is also stuck in 25 feet of slit from the Cape Fear river.

During Hurricane Matthew, NorCal actually lifted upwards about 3-4 feet, but not enough to technically "float" her.

She'll be fine. She has weathered many storms of this magnitude. Floyd and Fran come to mind..

I'll be down there next month, and can report in more detail.  As a "Friends of the Battleship" member, I get periodic newsletter from the curator on restoration issues.