You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

République — French Tier X battleship.

25 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,294 posts
1,296 battles

République — French Tier X battleship.

A version of the battleship design of the post-war period. Her main distinguishing features were very powerful AA guns and 431 mm main battery guns, which were developed in France in the late 1930s.
R%C3%A9publique_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of battleships.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,859 battles

This ship is almost replacing my Montana as my favorite BB...almost. The Montana is more sturdy but this thing is quick and a flanker and with the high rate of fire and the speed boost even without the legendary upgrade it is a killer....great secondary range and with them specialized it is not a ship a DD or Cruiser wants to find itself up against. There is a learning curve on it but it is definitely worth the grind to attain this ship. The AP on it is devastating to its enemies and if you find yourself up against that pesky BB who won't give you a broadside to shoot at with like a 49% chance of lighting fires there is always that. Beautiful ship and the layout of the secondaries facing forward it is an ominous looking ship to be staring down the bow at.

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,957 battles

I realize the Republique is a WG paper ship but a youtube how-to-play poster (can't remember which one to give credit) mentioned that the stack should turn but was not animated in game to do so. Looking at the model, it sure looks like the top part should pivot up to 90deg to either beam. If it is designed to pivot, my question is WHY? What would be the purpose of doing so? Did any real ships (French or otherwise) have this feature? 

[1RD]
Members
66 posts
8,327 battles

I’m not sure why some people get hung up on the idea of a paper design vs one that was actually built. I have 80 ships in my port, but Republique is far and away my favourite. I was like a lot of people when they first see her: “Only 8 guns in one fore & aft turret? I don’t know....”

Wow, was I wrong. She is a brawler extraordinaire. With Secondary Battery Mod 2, AFT, Manual FC for Secondaries, and the Mike Yankee SoxSix flag, those secondaries will reach out to 12.1 km, and have a -85% dispersion, so not many shells are going to miss. It’s like having the equivalent of a 6-inch gunned cruiser and a destroyer & a half shooting at you. With the Legendary Upgrade, the main battery reload drops to an amazing 19.7 seconds.

Her AA is deadly too. With BFT, AFT, and Manual FC for AA, it is rare for a bomber or torpedo plane to get close enough to unload their ordnance. Basically, if it flies, it dies.

Republique’s playstyle isn’t for everyone. She is definitely at her best when you ‘go amongst them’. Her deadly secondaries will usually make short work of any DD’s before they can get within torpedo range, then you can settle down, setting your secondaries on one ship while you punish another with those 17-inch rifles. And with Manual AA, you’ll be swatting planes down wholesale.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. 😊

[SWAMP]
Members
18 posts
15,508 battles

Just got this ship and it is NUTS and I mean that in a great way.  Big, accurate, long range, fast loading main guns, with devastating AP and great HE to burn things down if that is your desire.  12k+ secondaries with the distance flag, a wall of metal for AA, excellent armor and a speed boost to get you out of trouble or into it as fast as you want.  This BB has it all, if you are a brawler have at it, if you want to snipe from long distance with great accuracy, you've got that also.  For me game #1, ~80k damage, #2 ~155k, #3 ~145k, and I am a very average player.   Not spectacular #'s, but for my first three matches I can't complain!  I enjoy all my top tier BBs, but this is the most fun for me.  I love cruisers, and I play this like a giant cruiser. I use to consider the Iowa my giant cruiser for its speed, but this actually feels more like a cruiser and not just for its speed.  And I actually enjoyed the grind to get it, especially the T8 Richie, T9 was OK and I enjoyed it enough.  I did not spend a penny to "buy" into the T10.   This is the first ship which actually has made me a better player than I really am.

• Cool 3

[BB-57]
Members
186 posts
16,126 battles
On 12/26/2018 at 7:48 PM, TP152 said:

Just got this ship and it is NUTS and I mean that in a great way.  Big, accurate, long range, fast loading main guns, with devastating AP and great HE to burn things down if that is your desire.  12k+ secondaries with the distance flag, a wall of metal for AA, excellent armor and a speed boost to get you out of trouble or into it as fast as you want.  This BB has it all, if you are a brawler have at it, if you want to snipe from long distance with great accuracy, you've got that also.  For me game #1, ~80k damage, #2 ~155k, #3 ~145k, and I am a very average player.   Not spectacular #'s, but for my first three matches I can't complain!  I enjoy all my top tier BBs, but this is the most fun for me.  I love cruisers, and I play this like a giant cruiser. I use to consider the Iowa my giant cruiser for its speed, but this actually feels more like a cruiser and not just for its speed.  And I actually enjoyed the grind to get it, especially the T8 Richie, T9 was OK and I enjoyed it enough.  I did not spend a penny to "buy" into the T10.   This is the first ship which actually has made me a better player than I really am.

Wait until you gain the Legendary skill, she is by far my favorite tier 10 BB. 

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,957 battles
2 hours ago, _ECSO_Sgt_088 said:

Wait until you gain the Legendary skill, she is by far my favorite tier 10 BB. 

Thought the Legendary on this boat was a dud. Something not worth the cost.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles

She's a giant Graf Spee that swapped torps for speed boost, Hydro for two extra rifles, and actually has secondary range. Love those 17" guns on this beauty!

[BB-57]
Members
186 posts
16,126 battles
On 1/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Thought the Legendary on this boat was a dud. Something not worth the cost.

19.1 second reload is a dud?

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,957 battles
44 minutes ago, _ECSO_Sgt_088 said:

19.1 second reload is a dud?

Take a look at Kizarvexis analysis. That extra couple of seconds comes at quite a cost (direct downgrades like turret traverse and what you don't get to take in the slot 6. Not totally worthless but...

your turret traverse gets even worse  (so you will likely miss more shots waiting for your guns to lock on,  even though they are loaded)

Your range drops to 19K. I generally take lots of shots at longer ranges. You may find yourself getting shot at by ships you can't shoot back at quite often.

You can get a 21sec reload already by picking standard modules  and keep a better turret rotation (not good, but better) and a 6K more range.

Edited by Sabot_100

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles

Yeah, if it was 18% or 20% range decrease I might consider it, but 24%? Sacre bleu, no thank you sir!

Also, while the French battleship permacamo is neat and distinct, I reeeeeeally wish they had Measure 22 like the cruisers. Can you imagine how beautiful Republique would be with that?!

[UN1]
Members
1,014 posts
3,340 battles
11 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Take a look at Kizarvexis analysis. That extra couple of seconds comes at quite a cost (direct downgrades like turret traverse and what you don't get to take in the slot 6. Not totally worthless but...

your turret traverse gets even worse  (so you will likely miss more shots waiting for your guns to lock on,  even though they are loaded)

Your range drops to 19K. I generally take lots of shots at longer ranges. You may find yourself getting shot at by ships you can't shoot back at quite often.

You can get a 21sec reload already by picking standard modules  and keep a better turret rotation (not good, but better) and a 6K more range.

Turret traverse is the same with both modules, and even if it was slower, turret speed probably isn't going to matter much if you're shooting at targets 20km+ away.

Either way, the legendary mod is +7.3% DPM gain on the main battery in exchange for a -24% reduction in range, though that still puts you at a reasonable 19.82km. 

And let's be real here, if you're shooting at targets from 20km+ away in any ship, you're probably not contributing much to your team. 

• Cool 1

[BB-57]
Members
186 posts
16,126 battles

Unless you're firing HE at that range and pure luck prevails, why would anyone try hitting anything beyond 19km?  AP will most likely bounce and you just exposed your position.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,957 battles
4 hours ago, Ranari said:

Turret traverse is the same with both modules, and even if it was slower, turret speed probably isn't going to matter much if you're shooting at targets 20km+ away.

Either way, the legendary mod is +7.3% DPM gain on the main battery in exchange for a -24% reduction in range, though that still puts you at a reasonable 19.82km. 

And let's be real here, if you're shooting at targets from 20km+ away in any ship, you're probably not contributing much to your team. 

Long range shots are not always the best use of time, but ships at 20K plus will often show broadsides and cruise in a straight line. Republiques guns will penetrate most ships at these ranges. I certainly would not recommend intentionally spending you game at these ranges but often the best targets are at these ranges because they don't think of you as a threat. All the closer targets may be huddled behind islands and/or angled.

Taking the standard slot 6 MBM3 yields only slightly worse reload but keeps 6K of range. Not everyone will agree but I at least want the option of shooting at 20K+ ranges where many times you can be in a position to lob shells over islands and remain unseen.

[SWAMP]
Members
18 posts
15,508 battles

To add to my post now that I've had many games in this ship, in the over 10,000+ total matches I have played, I had only one 200k+ game in my Zao (230k in damage, already had 180k in damage and then caught two BBs in a gap at the end of the match and clobbered them with torps, so I feel I lucked into it) and maybe a total of two 175k+ damage games in my MO and GK.  In less than 100 games in the Republique I have had 3-4 200k+ damage games, and many 170-200k damage games.  Here is my latest example.....

image.thumb.png.69d5842ced988588475ad17c4eaa79be.png

[-TNT-]
Members
933 posts
17,803 battles

Playing the Gascogne has helped me immensely in playing the Republique.  I feel confident using her without CE. Below attachments you may not be impress but it shows I am improving.  I don't think I'll ever top that youtube video of a player who did 468K in damages. 

Gascogne.png

Gascogne 2.png

Gascogne Report.png

Members
117 posts
5,022 battles

questions for repulic players.  do you consistently do well in the republic?  its a brawler, how does brawling work?...you get close and you get focus fired and you got the island hugging cruisers to deal with.  

so far...i haven't seen a republic top the charts in any games I played.  

[DOW]
Members
870 posts
5,621 battles
On 6/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, iBrowEcc0 said:

questions for repulic players.  do you consistently do well in the republic?  its a brawler, how does brawling work?...you get close and you get focus fired and you got the island hugging cruisers to deal with.  

so far...i haven't seen a republic top the charts in any games I played.  

Untitled.thumb.png.d2419a95bb36ab939d45652a0d07561e.png

(^ Yes I'm a Republique player)

First, you keep your health full(-ish) in the opening and mid-game as much as you can. Else the enemy team will focus you down in no time.

Second, you sail with the your team and choose the closest engagement. The closer you are, the more damage you deal. I find flanking through the side of the map is usually a good strategy for battleships. This is as opposed to charging the middle, getting cross-fired, and sunk.

Third, you sail around the ambushing DDs and camping cruisers, not into them (and be their food). Sometimes you can sink them and then push. Other times you can't, so you push the other side.

Two replays to demonstrate. Note at 2:30 of the second video, how I anticipate I will get focus fired by slowing down in advance, tank some damage, and reverse back to let teammates tank when my health goes low:

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

Just picked it up. Those guns are daaaayum impressive. Consistent, high velocity shells. I like.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,239 posts
22,261 battles

The beauty of Republique is that like Alsace, you could build her in either Secondary or Main Battery Build, and be happy with the results.

A Main Battery Build puts those quick reloading 430mm x8 to full use, complete with Overmatch advantage against some Cruisers with 30mm armor sections that troll 420mm or smaller AP.  Republique's 430mm AP laughs at that armor.  With MBM3, the reload goes to 21 seconds.  With Adrenaline Rush kicking, it drops even lower, which is scary considering these are nicely sized 430mm guns.

The nice thing with Secondary Spec on Republique is she uses guns large enough where IFHE isn't necessary.  Alsace, Jean Bart, Gascogne, Richelieu... They pack lots of low pen 100mm guns that hardly pen anything without IFHE.  100mm guns cannot even pen the 19mm superstructure of a High Tier BB without IFHE.  Republqique's 127mm guns don't have that concern with built in 20mm HE Pen.  Hell, the 127mm secondaries even got a very respectable 9% base fire chance.  The range is long enough that even GK users raised their eyebrows.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[AK-49]
Members
347 posts
6,371 battles

With the 15 days of premium WG gave us, I ground with my Alsace to gain the XP I needed to get this BB. I acquired her last night and sortied with it a couple times. I've been impressed with her firepower and her protection. She's my second T10 ship (the first was the Zao a few months ago) and I've been becoming less intimidated with battling on that tier.

• Cool 1

[DOW]
Members
870 posts
5,621 battles

Wargaming also has a webpage talking about the historical basis of the design:

nn.thumb.png.e827a248cf930809ba82780157b6569e.png

History
In 1939, French engineers developed a 431mm naval gun that they intended for prospective battleships. The most modern ship that was developed in detail by that time was battleship Gascogne, which would inevitably have become one of the prototypes for the new ship of that class. Keeping the arrangement of Gascogne’s armament — two quadruple main turrets located in the forward and aft ends — and increasing the caliber of the guns while providing adequate armor protection and speed lead to greater displacement.

Based on historical records, we know that the hypothetical battleship armed with 431 mm guns would have entered service at the beginning of the 1950s at the earliest and, just like Jean Bart, would have been completed in 1955 with only French armament and equipment. In particular, a dual-purpose triple 152mm gun mount designed in 1950 would have been used as a basis for the AA defenses of the battleship. 

In-Game
The ship model is a reconstruction of the battleship that would have been laid down before, and completed after, World War II. The 152mm dual-purpose guns received a new mount under the preliminary design of 1950. As a large-caliber AA artillery ship, she received long-barreled 127mm guns placed in twin mounts, similar to U.S.A. 127/54 Mk.41. The French-made automatic 57mm twin Bofors mounts, referred to as ACAD Model 1951, serve as the ship's small-caliber AA artillery.

Source: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/history/tres-bbien/

Edited by _Marines

Members
174 posts
6,687 battles

Is there a technique for success with the Rep? I don't seem to do as well as my Jean Bart or Alsace?