Sign in to follow this  
turbo07

Monarch — British Tier VIII battleship.

19 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,194 posts
1,206 battles

Monarch — British Tier VIII battleship.

One of the preliminary versions of the King George V-class ships armed with 381 mm main battery guns. She had features characteristic of a next-generation battleship, namely relatively high speed, thick horizontal armor, and dual-purpose artillery.
Monarch_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of battleships.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
12,022 posts

Instead of full necromancy, I'll post here, but link to the thread I found:

I was in a huge rush to get done with the KGV, because frankly it's a combination of underwhelming, erratic results, and inability to contribute anything to missions and such requiring tier VIII or higher to count.

It's a good thing I found reviews like the one above -- at this point I'll probably just mothball the RN BB line, it's been nothing but disappointment all the way up, and I have no desire to grind through a stinker and then be at tier IX and... yeah.

[LOIN]
Supertester
717 posts

I loved the King George V, one of my top 3 vessels. I was really looking forward to the Monarch; however. When I got to her, I was deeply disappointed. The transition from the King George to the Monarch, was like the transition to the Seattle, everything is worse. 

Monarch is the Monarch of trash. Cruisers outrange her.

Edited by Starfleet1701

[70]
Members
1,209 posts
6,643 battles

Have been in company of Monarch for about 3 weeks now.

Required buff list before it can be said to be a Tier 8 equivalent to the North Carolina:

1. At least 20% better accuracy.

2. RN Super Heal

The Monarch is prone to soaking up massive numbers of normal pens which negate its supposedly submerged citadel.

At present, it makes the Sea Cattle look brokenly OP for tier in comparison.

[PVE]
Members
931 posts
7,204 battles

It pains me a bit to say this but Monarch makes me jealous of Bismarck's accuracy. The boat is just so underwhelming in every way. At least Bismarck has long range secondaries to help. Monarch has nothing. Sure she has 6 forward barrels to Bismarck's 4 but they still can't reliably hit anything even at 10km. I hope Conqueror is worth it.

[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,849 battles

What a letdown from the KGV , Monarch needs a buff to it's range period , no way will I take this scow in to randoms but dam it's gonna be a long grind to the Lion in Co-op .

[70]
Members
1,209 posts
6,643 battles

Curiously, I managed to get my damage record in Monarch recently, after only surpassing 200K twice before, both times in Alsace.

My diagnosis for Monarch is that you need a BB-rich enemy team and to sling mad amounts of HE, plus pray for lots of fires from those shells. AP is only useful if you can catch someone who isn't a DD and has no torps up close and personal.

Guest xxx
0 posts

what were theese guys thinking by rating the monarch so damn bad? - probably the russian battleship will be the best ever as soon as they approach, even if they never did exist or have been sunk by the japs!  - shame on you WoWs!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,169 posts
6,079 battles

I found a trick to doing better with Monarch: Tag-team with another battleship. Monarch really isn't all THAT bad, she just gets outshone a lot. Thing is people know Monarch's reputation, so if you see, for example, a Monarch sailing alongside a Massachusetts, people will be more likely to leave you alone and let you sling shells downrange.

Also, yes, your HE is good, but don't rely entirely on it and fires. I get good results with AP against other battleships and particularly when bullying cruisers.

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
391 posts
17,423 battles

So I haven't had this thing for long but, what a steaming pile of defacation. It can't take a hit in any way shape or form. I die faster in this thing than my Seattle. Inaccurate, not even close to tanky, garbage secondaries, no range on main guns, poor AA, lowest HP pool of any Tier VIII BB, garbage armor even a Tier VII Cruiser can pen. The ship has 2 things going for it, Decent HE, and low concealment. Thats it!

Bigest piece of junk BB in game IMO, I'd rather face off against Tier VIII's in my New Mexico. She has become a Co-op queen for me until I grind past her or just FXP out of it. 

Members
163 posts
5,978 battles

I'm starting to regret buying the Monarch, maybe I should have gone after a North Carolina instead. Maybe once she's upgraded she'll be more fun. 

[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,849 battles
On 1/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, CorvetteKaptain67 said:

Seriously? 

Yup , couldn't wait to get rid of Monarch but Lion's turret traverse and stock range are a joke , a painful joke , if you take the module to improve reload time , your range is pizz poor and turret traverse goes from horrid to nightmare status .

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,849 battles
On 1/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, CorvetteKaptain67 said:

I'm starting to regret buying the Monarch, maybe I should have gone after a North Carolina instead. Maybe once she's upgraded she'll be more fun. 

The NC is a better ship than the Monarch and would make a better tier nine than the Lion IMO .

[GC]
Alpha Tester
768 posts
3,637 battles
On 1/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, retic1959 said:

Yup , couldn't wait to get rid of Monarch but Lion's turret traverse and stock range are a joke , a painful joke , if you take the module to improve reload time , your range is pizz poor and turret traverse goes from horrid to nightmare status .

Pretty much this. Lion has nothing going for it aside from good concealment and a superheal. The bad firing arcs on the rear turret force you to give up tons of broadside in order to bring all of your guns to bear and you're covered in squishy 32mm plate that HE spammers just love to feed on.

--Helms

Alpha Tester
700 posts
3,424 battles

The Monarch has to be one of the most underrated ships. It's got a unique playstyle, but if you know what you're doing, this thing is a DPM machine. I love it! 

First off, the 25 second reload is awesome. The AP won't citadel as often as other BBs will, but it'll still punch through cruisers when needed, it overpens less on DDs, and it's good for getting 4000-7000 damage volleys off BBs. It's more consistent than the NC or Amagi damage wise and the accuracy is decent. It's better than the Bismarck at both long and medium range combat. The HE is good, but I still sling more AP shells than HE, and that's the key to this ship, it's still a battleship and it still can get 18000 Damage shots on broadside targets easily. 

This ship melts almost as fast as a cruiser when under fire, but like a cruiser, it can pick when and where it wants to fight and it's incredibly agile for tier VIII BBs. The key is not to get into situations where you have multiple people gunning you down or running into the entire flank of enemy ships. It's not a leader of the charge. Conversly, the range isn't good and accuracy isn't that good, so you're not a sniper either. The strategy is to hold your fire until you have a good time to strike, sling some shells, then run away a bit, heal, reposition to a new spot, and fight again. 

For every weakness, there's a strength. The DPM makes up for lack of alpha. The maneuverability and smaller size allows you to dodge torpedoes and planes despite the AA and torpedo protection. The weak armor and HP pool is made up for by heal, where it has some of the highest potential total HP of any battle ship AND it's the easiest to conceal. 

If you're doing bad in this ship, you're doing something wrong. 

Members
155 posts
3,503 battles

I'm playing the Monarch lately, and I have to say I agree more with BaronRichtofen than with Carl_the_Cuttlefish.  The guns are pretty trashy. HE shatters, AP ricochets.  Doesn't matter, it can't hit anything anyway. Expect 1 pen per salvo.  It compares poorly to the Tier 7 Scharnhorst. And it burns like a torch. It is poor at causing fires.  I have scored over 50 HE hits on each of two battleships, and gotten 1 fire on each.  If you're uptiered, forget it. You're a secondary ship that relies on concealment to not get erased while at the same time you can't really do a lot of harm.

Just got out of a game where my Monarch was mauled by a Puerto Rico.  Lost 9 of the last 10, finishing in the top half of the team in each game, except this last one where the PR erased me.

You have to play the Monarch like it's the Flying Dutchman; you sit back and literally use your concealment as a weapon. Pick a shot, take a shot, and be ready to fade back into invisibility. I have had many games where I'd find an exposed enemy BB, take the shot, then disappear before his turrets could come around.  I'd wait until he shot at someone else, and do it again. If you get charged, you should consider running or you'll be burning in no time.  Work your HE and AP as appropriate.  If you opponents give you enough shots, will will eventually score fires or citadels. Both are pretty rare in my experience.

Edited by Tigerspook

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this