Sign in to follow this  
turbo07

Conqueror — British Tier X battleship.

16 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,434 posts
645 battles

Conqueror — British Tier X battleship.

This ship was designed as a battleship with increased firepower on the basis of the British experience in ship construction gained during World War II. The project was notable for the 457 mm main guns, which were developed in the early 1920s and were the most powerful British naval artillery systems.
Conqueror_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of battleships.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

• Bad 1

[SAA]
Alpha Tester
6 posts
5,935 battles

Raise the god damn citadels on this thing and nerf the repair and fire chance. I am damn tired of long range gun duels with these ships and being set on fire and unable to kill the damn things in anything close to a fair fight. I run a Yamato.

[TF-62]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,417 posts
4,038 battles
On 11/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, LT_Smudge said:

Raise the god damn citadels on this thing and nerf the repair and fire chance. I am damn tired of long range gun duels with these ships and being set on fire and unable to kill the damn things in anything close to a fair fight. I run a Yamato.

If its a fair fight, you're doing it wrong. The idea behind countering UK BBs is to focus fire on them. They are built to withstand lots of fire but in a one-on one duel you're going to lose out. 
Kind of like it was back in the day when there was just Montanas to face your Yamato. 

Beta Testers
1,870 posts
4,696 battles
33 minutes ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

If its a fair fight, you're doing it wrong. The idea behind countering UK BBs is to focus fire on them. They are built to withstand lots of fire but in a one-on one duel you're going to lose out. 
Kind of like it was back in the day when there was just Montanas to face your Yamato. 

Telling people to 'focus fire' on anything is just a roundabout way of saying that the ship is too strong (after all, why would you need to focus fire it if it wasn't).

On 11/11/2018 at 5:16 PM, LT_Smudge said:

The thing is, the Conq isn't as OP as it might seem. Fire damage is nearly fully reparable, so it doesn't stick like battleship AP damage. If you nerf the Conqueror's fire chance then it won't have anything to rely on - it doesn't have USN special AP mechanics or just the raw penetration of the Yamato's guns, or any speed like the french BBs to get around to be able to pen things. Even if does use the 456's its still just a worse Yamato. 

[LLAMA]
[LLAMA]
Members
13 posts
1,958 battles

Disclaimer: it is common knowledge that the 12x419mm layout is better.

for the 8x457 vs 12x419 issue, the 12x419 is better in terms of both damage and fire chance

the draw for the 457s is their close resemblance to yamato's 460s in terms of caliber, decieving others into believing she can overmatch bows. but she can't, and here's why.
Overmatch is determined by the condition (caliber)/14.3 > (bow plating) in this equation, yamato has 32.16mm of overmatch, whereas conqueror only has 31.95mm. standard bow plate is 32mm, which means yamato has 0.16mm to spare, while conqueror comes up 0.05mm short. those 3mm in caliber difference matter. 

in terms of total alpha damage, as can be readily assumed by glancing at the statistics, the 419mm guns win. 

419mm = 156,000 (AP) and 86,400 (HE)
457mm = 119,200 (AP) and 65,600 (HE)

as for the probability of a salvo starting a fire, according to the survivor sum law, (using my measly 36% accuracy with her) the results are as follow:

419mm
1 turret = 44%
2 turrets = 69%
all 4 turrets = 91%

457mm
1 turret = 41%
2 turrets = 65%
all 4 turrets = 88%

this was achieved using the survivor sum rule, specifically the ballistic vulnerability equation as presented by Deitz et al. from the US AMSAA Ps(total) = 1- {[1-PE1] x [1-PE2] x ... [1-PE(final)]} where each "E" stands for "Event", in other words, in this case, the probability of hitting AND causing a fire, which was in turn calculated by survivor sum, using accuracy multiplied by fire chance (NOTE: this was done using a captain with Demolition Expert). as can be clearly seen in the above results, the 457s are consistently inferior in terms of both overall damage and probability of fire. I hope this math can finally prove WHY the 419s are better, and show that the 457s have no real advantages, and are a considerable downgrade. even the game itself knows this, giving a 457mm conqueror a -2 to artillery.

[SAA]
Alpha Tester
6 posts
5,935 battles
On 12/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, Sledgehammer427 said:

Yes and they raised the citadels on the Yamato so now you have to sit back and keep serpentining in order to angle your citadel armour to avoid cits.

[TF-62]
2,417 posts
4,038 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Smudge said:

Yes and they raised the citadels on the Yamato so now you have to sit back and keep serpentining in order to angle your citadel armour to avoid cits.

Yamato has always had that super high citadel. The only reason it was so dominant in tier 10 before anything else was because of Iowas and Montanas raised citadels, and the fact that only another Yamato could punish a bowtanking Yamato. 

[TF-62]
2,417 posts
4,038 battles
On 12/31/2018 at 3:38 PM, Davy_McJones said:

I hope this math can finally prove WHY the 419s are better, and show that the 457s have no real advantages, and are a considerable downgrade.

The 419s are objectively better, and the option to use them should be removed from Conqueror entirely. I've run nothing but the 457s and have pretty decent stats to show for it, but people will always trust volume of fire over accuracy or the capability of low-density high weight fire instead. Conqueror actually feels balanced using the 457s, and the 419s were a mistake since the beginning. 

[LLAMA]
[LLAMA]
Members
13 posts
1,958 battles
On 1/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, Sledgehammer427 said:

The 419s are objectively better, and the option to use them should be removed from Conqueror entirely. I've run nothing but the 457s and have pretty decent stats to show for it, but people will always trust volume of fire over accuracy or the capability of low-density high weight fire instead. Conqueror actually feels balanced using the 457s, and the 419s were a mistake since the beginning. 

I haven’t earned my 457s yet, however 8 barrels without the caliber to overmatch seems somewhat of an odd choice. Also, are the 457s more accurate? I hadn’t seen that in the stats.

[TF-62]
2,417 posts
4,038 battles
15 hours ago, Davy_McJones said:

I haven’t earned my 457s yet, however 8 barrels without the caliber to overmatch seems somewhat of an odd choice. Also, are the 457s more accurate? I hadn’t seen that in the stats.

the sigma is 2.0 and the dispersion is OK. 
as with any 8-gun ship you occasionally get funky dispersion but that comes down to the angle you're at and the enemy ship you're fighting is at. But I've landed some really good rolls using AP, like a 16k salvo on another Conqueror 15k away. It feels a lot like Warspite, in contrast to some folks calling Conks a "Mega-Zao," I like to call 457 conks "Super-Warspite" 
The big thing is, you still get the ability to overmatch opposing cruisers, you get heavier shells and even low rolls will tend to do decent damage. 

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles

I recommend getting the Unique Upgrade. It turns the Conq into a fat Ca.

Spoiler

shot-19_04.01_23_44.24-0952.thumb.jpg.6ac13af790c14c551159e662629cc5f8.jpg

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,129 posts
16,481 battles
On 3/11/2019 at 10:05 AM, tinfoilpaperweight said:

Fire chance of the HE shells needs to be nerfed, period.

Stop popping DCP on 1 fire.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this