You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

New Mexico — American Tier VI battleship.

19 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,294 posts
1,296 battles

New Mexico — American Tier VI battleship.

The ship belonged to the generation of conventional battleships in the U.S. Navy. The main battery guns were concentrated in the ship's front and aft ends and were placed in superfiring turrets, which would soon become the standard. The battleship was armored according to the "all or nothing" concept, with the citadel being reliably protected and located in the center of the hull.
New_Mexico_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of battleships.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[TARK]
Members
5,212 posts
2,144 battles

I loved brawling in the New Mexico.

Great armor, and the opponents dont have a clue how to properly brawl.

That AP just blaps them after they've wasted their close range shot into my angled belt...

Being hunted by a DD? No worries...you are quite nimble, and 12 guns of HE is enough to really hurt a DD YOLO...

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

[MOYAL]
Members
4 posts
2,228 battles
23 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I loved brawling in the New Mexico.

Great armor, and the opponents dont have a clue how to properly brawl.

That AP just blaps them after they've wasted their close range shot into my angled belt...

Being hunted by a DD? No worries...you are quite nimble, and 12 guns of HE is enough to really hurt a DD YOLO...

It is a great little boat, slow however so I put BFT and AFT on her captain, concealment is what I'm working on next.  It is fun when someone tries to ambush you and the secondaries open up with a lead rain.  Sunk a few that way without even using my main battery.

[WORX]
Members
9,647 posts
17,603 battles

Some NM drivers play her wrong, you know who they are, the ones who take the scenic/cruiser long route to battle. Those are the ones you have to remind not to take the long way. IF not, they're production in the match is mutt.

Her guns are awesome,  never a dull moment in the NM.

[STW-N]
Members
3,834 posts
8,644 battles

Bloody love her

• Torpedo bulge which negates 42% of the damage = you can survive quite a few torpedo hits (and even a point-blank attack from some destroyers and cruisers)
  • Belt armor is glorious and while properly angled (i.e. not trying to bow-tank against ships that can overmatch you) can bounce a surprising amount of hits
  • 4 x 3 broadside is massive + good gun angles and penetration, along with quite acceptable accuracy (although not on the level of Arizona); you can take a large bite out of even tier 8 cruisers and battleships if they're not careful to angle properly
  • Quite decent AA (certainly enough to take a bite out of same or lower tier carriers)
  • Quite decent maneuverability, if not speed; torpedo-beating is quite simple when combined with her torpedo bulge

Only thing I'd complain about is the speed, but as long as you have a decent judgement about the tide of battle (i.e. not going off alone to a cap or advancing on a flank while your teammates are retreating), you'll do just fine.

Members
162 posts
4,106 battles

Coming up short against New Mex is what inspired me to set aside my mid-tier Japanese, German, and Russian BBs to work through the US line to the NM.

[WOLFG]
Members
821 posts
4,668 battles

Dear god this thing is slow. I'm in a battle now where I pushed the left flank to the cap and I'm so far away from the action, with mountains in between, I might as well just quit to port and start a game with another ship because there's no point staying in this one.

Edit - Nevermind, a Mass B showed up, it bounced all my shots, pen'd me then cit'd on the next salvo despite being us both being angled similarly, set me on fire with secondaries and killed me with two more salvos. :etc_swear: I did manage a kill on a DD with no health and 20k damage on one of the ships that showed up on my flank.

Edited by macktkau2

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
17 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

Dear god this thing is slow. I'm in a battle now where I pushed the left flank to the cap and I'm so far away from the action, with mountains in between, I might as well just quit to port and start a game with another ship because there's no point staying in this one.

Edit - Nevermind, a Mass B showed up, it bounced all my shots, pen'd me then cit'd on the next salvo despite being us both being angled similarly, set me on fire with secondaries and killed me with two more salvos. :etc_swear: I did manage a kill on a DD with no health and 20k damage on one of the ships that showed up on my flank.

Its not the ship, its the player, so instead of crying how about you actually learn how to play. Judging by your complaints in the NY thread I can tell you don't understand how to play this game. Let's begin, you don't push flanks you USN Standards, their slow, heres a shocker for you, THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN SLOW!!!! You work the side you are spawned in, if your team comes your way then be in front of the push, if your team sails away then your a rear guard. Angle the ship to maximize armor. Next focus cruisers, your ship has 343mm of middle finger to AP on all sides, angling properly will make you citadel proof, you can tank other BBs but cruisers will rip you apart. Also killing cruisers allows your DDs to screw up enemy BBs. Use islands to cover yourself but don't sit still, don't forget your slow and it takes awhile to get moving again, but Standards have great handling.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
821 posts
4,668 battles

Lol I was complaining because me and my team had already cleared the flank I spawned in on and it was incredibly slow to get back in the action.

Over-react much. :cap_horn:

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
11 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

Lol I was complaining because me and my team had already cleared the flank I spawned in on and it was incredibly slow to get back in the action.

Over-react much. :cap_horn:

Your the one coming on here in 2 separate threads crying about their speed, quit your whining 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Members
114 posts
894 battles

18.5 knots stock........cant even open fire on juicy targets until within 14 km....

need more time to grind....

Edited by Boomer625

[WOLF1]
Members
114 posts
894 battles

I found I cant citadel another New Mexico at 1 km range broadside.... but can stil do 10k plus dmg

[UN1]
Members
1,009 posts
3,340 battles

Just finished it for a second time through cause I reset the American line for the research bureau. It's probably been 3-4 years since I first played the New Mexico so I was excited to play it a second time. Overall I found it to be a solid performer. Guns hit like trucks, firing angles are great, and it's both agile and has a good heal. 

That said, the guns are a bit shotgunny, the armor is only good at protecting your turrets and citadel, and it's slow. The slow didn't bother me one bit though.

Good ship. But nothing to write home about I guess.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
4 posts
4,588 battles

So....New Mexico is very slow, turrets turn slow, heavy shells travel slow, shotgun dispersion and the standard 30 second reload can seem long sometimes.  But somehow she pulls it off and does incredible damage.  Her AP slammed targets and even brawling with up-tiered BB's was normally still a win for me. This is one of my favourite BB's and I use her all the time in scenario's.  Unfortunately WG noticed that her damage output in the right hands was on the high side.  So now they nerfed her somewhat by adding 4.2 seconds to the reload.  With her slow reload being changed to glacial, I've noticed an average drop in damage output to the tune of 25-30k per match.  Hopefullly WG will correct the unnecessary and irritating additional 4.2 seconds to the reload time.

[DOS2]
Members
94 posts
2,541 battles

I like this ship.  I was surprised after running playing German BB's mostly since I came back to the game a few weeks ago.  She's painfully slow (I mean, 20 kn slower than what I've been playing doesn't give you a lot of room for error!)  The turrets can't keep up with the turn, so I plunked down some doubloons for George Doe.  The added spin on those heavy things help a lot.  Also the fast AP/HE switching.  DDs don't like 14-inch HE.  :cap_horn:

Had my best game since I came back in her last night.  136K.  Pounded a Fuso, a Kongo and send a Normandie down to feed the squid in a full on brawl.  I was surprised at how well she brawled, but changed strategy and tactics after watching UrPeaceKeeper's old (dusty... old... old) video on her and it worked like a charm.

Her secondaries are down right awful (I've not spent points on BFT & AFT... yet).  13 of 70 for 2040 dmg.  That's below the Mendoza Line.  Horrid.  The way I was playing something else might have HIT 70 times!  

In this particular map I at least had a team that helped and didn't run away when I was surrounded by all those guys + a Cesare.  I was able to maneuver and we just took them out one by one.  Keeping angles as best you can and she really shows how tough she is.  The 14's hit very hard while she bounces things left & right.  I even took a Citadel, but she held up much better than my enemy that I returned the favor to.

Question though.  Do BFT & AFT actually make a difference with her secondaries?  Getting above the Mendoza Line would be oh so helpful!

[WOLFG]
Members
821 posts
4,668 battles

The max secondary range is 6.05km with a Soxisx flag. You'e trading 4 valuable captain points for 1km extra range to default. The only way I'd take secondary skills on a US Battleship is if you're grinding down the BB line while preparing to eventually use that Captain on one of the Premium US BB's that work well with a Secondary build.

For a regular US BB captain just take the normal survival build skills.

Members
174 posts
6,657 battles

Is there a reason why the main gun range is only 16 km but the New York is 18 km? All to get 200 more hits? 

Bigger, slower shells? Game balance to offset two more guns?