You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Colorado — American Tier VII battleship.

23 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,346 posts
597 battles

Colorado — American Tier VII battleship.

She became the final phase in development of conventional battleships that featured very heavy armor protection for the vitally important parts of a ship. Key differences from her predecessors were her 406mm main guns and a novel torpedo protection system. In speed, she was outclassed by other battleships of her time.
Colorado_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of battleships.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,798 posts
4,188 battles

Would it be at all possible to give the Colorado her late war refit? Or maybe the Maryland's? Several other ships have their sister ship upgrades (Wyoming is Arkansas and Lexington is Saratoga). This would help allow the West Virginia in at tier 7 along the lines of Alabama vs Massachusetts.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,151 posts
4,367 battles

Well the devs did just announce that the announced tier 6 West Virginia will be rebranded '41West Virginia, and they'll be working on a '44 West Virginia that will be the upgraded version which everyone wants. So we'll be getting one eventually. Not any time soon mind you, but probably in a couple years.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
638 posts
2,820 battles

Frankly, the mid-tier tech tree ships need to get some ahistorical buffs. Since Normandie and Lyon do not even have WWI configurations in the game, and Bayern's is 'questionable' owing to its greatly increased engine power from what it had when it was actually built, I believe Colorado and New Mex (not Arizona, WV '41, or possibly WV '44) ought to get more powerful engines to bring them up to about 23-24 knots. This will make a big difference, especially in Colorado's case.

--Helms

• Cool 1

Members
1,515 posts
7,728 battles
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎13 at 4:48 PM, thehelmsman said:

Frankly, the mid-tier tech tree ships need to get some ahistorical buffs. Since Normandie and Lyon do not even have WWI configurations in the game, and Bayern's is 'questionable' owing to its greatly increased engine power from what it had when it was actually built, I believe Colorado and New Mex (not Arizona, WV '41, or possibly WV '44) ought to get more powerful engines to bring them up to about 23-24 knots. This will make a big difference, especially in Colorado's case.

--Helms

Either this or figure out a better national flavor for them because currently they kind of just do most things worse than their counterparts.  If they are to stay so slow compared to their peers, they need something more useful than just AA.

• Cool 2

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
638 posts
2,820 battles

I'd suggest buffing their dispersion curve, but that would tread on IJN's territory.

--Helms

Members
1,515 posts
7,728 battles
1 hour ago, thehelmsman said:

I'd suggest buffing their dispersion curve, but that would tread on IJN's territory.

--Helms

What about perhaps better firefighting capability and or lower fire chance "historically the us was good at fire prevention/fighting".  Or perhaps a buff to concealment.   The West Virginia has very good concealment.  Perhaps the Colorado should be the same way.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,590 posts
3,603 battles

How about a radar directed fire control consumable? Cuts dispersion by 25-33%, last 2 minutes to get off 3 or 4 salvos. It can replace spotter and fighter plane consumables

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
638 posts
2,820 battles

Eeeeh. We don't need more consumable gimmicks. Those are why USN is in such a lousy spot in the first place in the mid-tiers.

--Helms

Members
1,515 posts
7,728 battles
55 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

Eeeeh. We don't need more consumable gimmicks. Those are why USN is in such a lousy spot in the first place in the mid-tiers.

--Helms

Yeah I would much prefer them to just buff the usn standards in some way to give them a proper niche/positive note to counter balance all the negatives.  Consumables I don't think are the way to go.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[TOY]
Members
65 posts
3,323 battles

i really love my Colo ..i have made 1.3 mill exp with her ....but she is a fat girl..i joke that the US navy built her to prove they could make a brick float shes a brawler but if you get stuck out on your own you dont have the speed to get back with your team and you die . so yeah some speed would be great

• Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,802 posts
10,545 battles

One thing WG could do, keeping the "national flavor" of slow  US BBs,  is make these sea-slugs lose little to no speed in turns (like Brit DDs). Still can't chase or run from anything except the Mikasa or Katori.

[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,716 battles

It's hard to go by WoWS Stats because the US line is typically the first line battleship players play, and thus, report the lowest performance.  If you look at purely premium results and compare to only other premium ships, which I think accurately represents players who want to play these ships, I think you'll find that most American ships perform very well. 

Both the in-game New Mexico and Colorado B-hulls represent their [mostly] late-WW2 configurations, as neither of them received major refits during the war.  Neither of them received the dual 5"/38cal DP mounts. 

[-DWP-]
[-DWP-]
Members
5 posts
1,837 battles
On 10/13/2018 at 3:48 PM, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

Agreed, takes forever it seems to get into a decent position before battle.

[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,716 battles
On 10/13/2018 at 6:48 PM, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

While I would welcome a speed boost to the good ole US Standards, the only problem I see with that is that it's taking these ships out of the intended design philosophy of the American BB line.  The American battleship line is meant to be "Reliable" in the categories where it counts:  Reliable main battery performance, reliable armor, reliable AA, superb firing angles, excellent turning radius and rudder shift, decent concealment, strong TDS and low flooding chance, etc.  It's rarely the "best" in each category, but it's very strong enough across the board.  The line is designed to capitalize on a player's knowledge of positioning, angling, and target choice, which is why it's such a great line to learn from.  The moment you start increasing the speed of American dreadnoughts though, then you start reading into other nation's territories by allowing them to perform roles they weren't intended for (kiting, flanking, chancing, etc). 

If you really want to buff the Colorado, buff her rate of fire.  Not only is there historical basis for it (her gun crews had to be artificially limited because they were reloading too fast), but it keeps her within her intended role. 

• Cool 1

Members
354 posts
3,906 battles

I put off American bbs forever, and considered free xping past the Colorado. On paper it looked like a slow Nagato. 

However I've been shocked by the effectiveness I've had in about 8 games. Even bottom tier. I think that because most Colorado drivers are new, people underestimate you. I think the reputation that the worst players play these ships the most is true. When out of curiosity I see a team mate do something incredibly weird, I like to check their profile, and 9/10 times they are sub 45 percent with hundreds of North Carolina and Iowa games as their most played, meaning I think it has to be the most played new player class. 

I already have a kraken(stock, in a tier 9 battle, helped by a Missouri that sailed up shooting angled armor and giving full broadside at 2km) and a couple 4 kill games. I'm not saying that to brag, my point is I've never have been offered so many broadsides in any other bb. So it's hard to know if it's actually good, but I have yet to have a bad game in it, but the sample size is relatively small. The dpm seems bad, but the guns feel very accurate. The low speed actually makes torp beats easy. So I guess I'm asking if the rest of the grind will be this pleasant?

I'm not keeping it. I already have my tier 7 bb keepers, and it's just too slow for me to want to keep it for future ranked etc.

[HAPPY]
Members
24 posts
2,699 battles

Fix the speed of this ship already, you have absolutely no tools to survive a fight or kite, or do anything.

Flamu, Notser, everyone agrees that the issue with this ship is just the speed, its to slow at tier 7 to be able to compete with the other battleships and avoid HE spam or get out of a bad situation.

It would take you guys a few seconds to fix this ship, one little line of code, and a quick hotfix, it does not even need to be a huge upgrade, were not talking 30 knots here, but at least 25/26, those extra 4 knots can be the difference to dodging a torp or not.

Edited by Natsukirei

[HRG]
Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

How do you play it when everybody is 20 k or more away and you can`t chase them down that has happened to me 4 or 5 times or they sit way back and you cant get at them range is to short. If she had more speed like Fuso you can make it work.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,590 posts
3,603 battles
9 hours ago, Riker_2 said:

How do you play it when everybody is 20 k or more away and you can`t chase them down that has happened to me 4 or 5 times or they sit way back and you cant get at them range is to short. If she had more speed like Fuso you can make it work.

I never had a issue, I play the area I spawn in. I see players constantly trying to sail across the map and everytime they are the bottom of the score board. Play your area if the team sails on your side great, if they go the other day then act as the rear guard and use that superior USN DC and repair and punish anything that gives you a clear shot 

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
638 posts
2,820 battles
On 12/23/2018 at 9:57 PM, Natsukirei said:

It would take you guys a few seconds to fix this ship, one little line of code, and a quick hotfix, it does not even need to be a huge upgrade, were not talking 30 knots here, but at least 25/26, those extra 4 knots can be the difference to dodging a torp or not.

25 is too much. 23, maybe 24 tops, to put it on par with Nelson.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:11 AM, Riker_2 said:

You pretty much have to play the middle of the map so you can actually keep your guns firing. If you go to a flank and the fight runs away from you, you're boned, because you're too slow to flex, especially on the tier 8 and 9 maps you're forced to deal with far too often.

--Helms

Beta Testers
7 posts

I've been putting off getting the Colorado for...God, years all because I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Few days ago I went ahead and bought it and lo and behold I've had consecutive good games in it. People complain about the speed, which it does suck being stuck at 22knots with the speed flag at Tier VII, but when you spend a shitload of time playing the Wyoming, Texas, and Arizona beforehand I just kinda got used to it. So now I have a ship who's primary negative is something I've since gotten used to, but now I have eight 406mm guns that are pinpoint accurate and delete just about anything they see.

Of course I do look forward to the North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana, but the Colorado has so far been a definite high point of the line rather than a dark low point to free XP past. Also I think? it has been buffed a good deal since the game's release so maybe those initial complaints were 100% spot-on and it really was hot garbage, but it definitely doesn't feel like it now.

[PNG]
Members
4,557 posts
11,681 battles
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, OseanTanker said:

Would it be at all possible to give the Colorado her late war refit? Or maybe the Maryland's? Several other ships have their sister ship upgrades (Wyoming is Arkansas and Lexington is Saratoga). This would help allow the West Virginia in at tier 7 along the lines of Alabama vs Massachusetts.

I hope not I am from Colorado and I would be upset that it not stay as the Colorado, They should bring out the Maryland as a premium since each of the Colorado Class BBs looked different by the end of the war.

[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,716 battles
On 2/10/2019 at 5:26 AM, donaldEpott said:

I hope not I am from Colorado and I would be upset that it not stay as the Colorado, They should bring out the Maryland as a premium since each of the Colorado Class BBs looked different by the end of the war.

That and, well, the USS Colorado never received a late-war refit.  She had her AA armament upgraded, but by the end of the war, she was the least modernized of the big 5.