Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
3Sheets2_theWind

Question about Captain Skills

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
26 posts
575 battles

I have a question about something I noticed on the Captain Skills screen. Under one of my German captains it says: Specialization IV Karlsruhe and it shows the elite ship icon. I'm not quite sure what this means. This captain is no longer commanding the Karlsruhe and has been completely retrained for another ship. Does this mean that his skills are only specific to that ship, or that he receives some bonus on that ship, or something else altogether? I've done a few searches and the only thing that seems consistent is that I can transfer him back to the Karlsruhe without a retraining penalty. Is that correct? He is currently serving on the König Albert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
414 posts

He was never retrained for any other ship since the ship you put him in is Albert, which is a premium ship. You can put any of your German captains from any German ship into the Albert, then back again with no retraining penalty.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,761
[TBW]
Members
10,005 posts
16,806 battles
54 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

I have a question about something I noticed on the Captain Skills screen. Under one of my German captains it says: Specialization IV Karlsruhe and it shows the elite ship icon. I'm not quite sure what this means. This captain is no longer commanding the Karlsruhe and has been completely retrained for another ship. Does this mean that his skills are only specific to that ship, or that he receives some bonus on that ship, or something else altogether? I've done a few searches and the only thing that seems consistent is that I can transfer him back to the Karlsruhe without a retraining penalty. Is that correct? He is currently serving on the König Albert.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Premium ship benefits:

  • No research required (all modules unlocked and mounted).
  • More creditsCredits earned in each battle.
  • Permanent camouflage that increases the amount of Experience gained (+50% for Tiers II-VIII, +100% for Tiers IX-X).
  • Reduced service costs.
  • Elite status from the start (use doubloons Doubloons to convert all your XP to Free XP).
  • Assigning commanders from other ships of the same nation without penalty or retraining.

 

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
1 hour ago, pinkship9001 said:

He was never retrained for any other ship since the ship you put him in is Albert, which is a premium ship. You can put any of your German captains from any German ship into the Albert, then back again with no retraining penalty.

This.  To go a step further, it's generally best not to keep a specific captain for any of your premium ships, at least not until you get to the point where you're loaded with more 19-point commanders than you know what to do with.  Instead, rotate whatever captain you're currently grinding up between your top ship in the standard line and whatever premium ship(s) you have from that nation.  This allows you to double (or triple, etc) up on the daily win bonus each day, and thus get your captain up to 19 points faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,410
[PVE]
Members
5,264 posts
22,432 battles
4 hours ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

I have a question about something I noticed on the Captain Skills screen. Under one of my German captains it says: Specialization IV Karlsruhe and it shows the elite ship icon. I'm not quite sure what this means. This captain is no longer commanding the Karlsruhe and has been completely retrained for another ship. Does this mean that his skills are only specific to that ship, or that he receives some bonus on that ship, or something else altogether? I've done a few searches and the only thing that seems consistent is that I can transfer him back to the Karlsruhe without a retraining penalty. Is that correct? He is currently serving on the König Albert.

Unless a premium ship comes w/a commander you will never have a commander actually "specialized" (aka trained or assigned) to it as you can't assign commanders to them...instead they train commanders from other ships w/out taking away their (the other ships) "specialization" on that ship so you can transfer them back to that ship w/out having to pay for retraining costs.

Even if a premium comes w/a commander it is actually better to train commanders from other ships in it & assign that commander (that always comes w/at least a few free skill points) to an alternate ship of the nation. That may be the premium you end up using that commander on too but you can run multiple commanders (actually any from that nation) on them not just 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81
[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,671 battles

The Commander training thing has always been a pet peeve with me .

I will never understand why you can not transfer a Captain back to a ship he has already been trained in for free . 

Did he forget his training ?  I believe once a Capt. has been trained for a specific ship he should ALWAYS  retain that training .

but i guess WG needs that 500 gold profit for " retraining" lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
646
[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,552 posts
10,372 battles
30 minutes ago, Captain_Avatar said:

The Commander training thing has always been a pet peeve with me .

I will never understand why you can not transfer a Captain back to a ship he has already been trained in for free . 

Did he forget his training ?  I believe once a Capt. has been trained for a specific ship he should ALWAYS  retain that training .

but i guess WG needs that 500 gold profit for " retraining" lol

WG does it to keep players from just bouncing their number 1 captain around between ships (unless you pay for it), but it still is hard to get a person's head wrapped around it.  WG just wants players to pay a premium to advance faster.  That is their model.  If WG really wanted to appease the masses, they could allow a reduction when retraining for a ship that the captain had been fully trained on in the past.  For instance, if a captain was trained on ship A, and then retrained on ship B, they could go back to ship A and be retrained for 25% of original retraining cost instead of the full value.  That would allow for "relearning" the ships features. 

This retraining issue really only affects newer players that haven't advanced up the tiers and don't have the flags and camos to boost captain XP.  For most advanced players, there really isn't much of an issue.  Once you have some 19 point captains, you start to accumulate elite commander XP really fast.  You can use that to retrain your captains.

So, any player should concentrate on getting at least 1 commander to a full 19 points as soon as possible to take advantage of his ability to gain elite commander XP that can be used for all other captains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[CRF]
Members
616 posts
7,539 battles

Still don't think it is very logical why it takes the same retraining cost to go from a DD to a BB or a CV as it does for a captain to go to another dd one Tier higher.  I can see some retraining cost (maybe 50% even), but....

Edited by sonoasailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×