You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sea_Jotun

Yubari in the "Best" tab in the Arsenal

14 comments in this topic

[MAD-1]
Members
43 posts
13,238 battles

I'm disappointed in Yubari, it is listed as one of the best ships! I know it's a T IV but my goodness the torpedo angles are atrocious! Glad I bought it instead of Coal, but wish I'd never purchased it. Anyone else feel like they were cheated?

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,312 battles

Not really.  I had a pretty good idea what I was paying for when I bought her.  I think she would have been better if they'd used her 1930's configuration and retained those extra 5.5 inch guns in fore and aft turrets though. 

I think people get a bit bent out of shape by their expectations.  People figure that if they are paying money for a premium that said premium ship is going to be better than the tech tree ships at that tier, which often is not the case. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,530 posts
23,606 battles

Yubari is a thin-walled lightbulb disguised a high-citadelled cruiser; that also happens to be a decent, accurate, fireslinger; who's real purpose in life is to make like hell for Langley and Hosho drivers with its Defensive Fire consumable.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,501 posts
6,150 battles

Yuubari when she came out was an AA terror, and especially with all the carriers back in CBT she was a ton of fun to play as you shot down everything. Seems she's had a case of the power creep though, she's just been left behind as newer ships have been added with more interesting AA suites. Even the special upgrade and DFAA don't seem to really make her as fun as she used to be back-in-the-day.

• Cool 1

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
33 minutes ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

Yuubari when she came out was an AA terror, and especially with all the carriers back in CBT she was a ton of fun to play as you shot down everything. Seems she's had a case of the power creep though, she's just been left behind as newer ships have been added with more interesting AA suites. Even the special upgrade and DFAA don't seem to really make her as fun as she used to be back-in-the-day.

I can't think of any tier IV cruisers with better AA suites

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,557 posts
33,708 battles

Yubari is very good for the tier. Sure it is squishy (it's a CL)

Sure, torpedo angles are lousy, (for balanztm reasons)

Still has excellent, and accurate guns, and great AA for the tier.

I like Yubari. Don't lay it enough cause I don't play T4 enough and like Clemson better.

If i am playing Zuchini, or The Unmentionabletm, the best companion I can div with is a Yubari to provide AA.

Edited by alexf24

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
16,601 battles

Bought the Yubari a couple days ago, with the current sale. I put my Shima/Kami 19-pt captain on the bridge and was treated to some serious Lulz. Had great fun playing the ship, honestly. Like a big DD with a citadel. Accurate guns (if not enough of them), fast as can be, nice rudder shift, and can occasionally catch someone with a torpedo. Made use of islands for cover and was careful to remain near an exit at all times. Started fires, shot up DDs, and really did have fun with the ship. 

Respects,

Am

[NDA]
Supertester
2,902 posts
5,808 battles
On 9/9/2018 at 3:32 PM, Sea_Jotun said:

Anyone else feel like they were cheated?

Nope, not at all.  You just have to know the weaknesses and strengths in order to get the potential out of her.  Open water firing, long range kiting are not her forte.  Your arcs at long range make difficulty in hitting anything but the largest target and your squishy citadel makes for some bad moments when you avoid those incoming 10 shells, but that 11th slams your deck for massive damage.

Her guns, built right, are so accurate I oftentimes say they're too accurate.  Other ships if you miss a shot by a little, RNG can help you out and make that salvo not as bad and guide some shells to target.  Yubari however will put those shells exactly where you want them and if that means your aim was off and you miss?  Well so be it. 

Torpedo arcs are some of the worse in game yes but if you're using those torpedo's at a point where opening up the massive broadside will result in return fire?  Well you're not using the torpedo's properly.  I tend to treat the Yubari more like a large DD.  Bully enemy DD's, push into islands use cover and those high arcs much the same as the USN Light cruisers, lob the shells up over islands and use and abuse the detection mechanics of the game to get your damage in without being seen and opening up yourself to return fire. 

And then there's always the fun of shadowing a big old battleship when an enemy Carrier is in the game.  Keep the Battleship in your AA envelope and watch as planes fall from the sky when you activate DFAA.

SgxbHMD.jpg

Edited by vonKaiser

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,411 posts
4,384 battles

If you think  of Yubari more as a destroyer than a cruiser it plays reasonably well.  Yes the torpedo arcs are horrid and the number you have is next to nonexistent, but the guns and AA are decent-- for a destroyer.  Think of Yubari as a destroyer leader.  That is, a large destroyer that supports other destroyers.

On that note, maybe WoW will add a Porter or Sumner class US 1850 ton leader to the game.  That'd be the USN counterpart to Yubari.  The RN equivalent would be a Tribal class destroyer.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,966 battles

I think the "BEST" referred to here is in relation to a good deal, not necessarily the Best Ship at tier 4. The price is good for a T4 premium.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,533 posts
12,810 battles

Yubari is good, but she has a very high skill floor.  I took mine out a few weeks ago, and people were laughing at it at the beginning of the game.  4 kills, 60k+ damage and 24 aircraft shot down, I was the one was laughing at the end of the game.

Here's another from tonight that the red team wasn't laughing about, either.

shot-18.10.05_20.42.47-0159.jpg

Edited by crzyhawk

[MAD-1]
Members
43 posts
13,238 battles

True for a Tier IV it is a nightmare for CV's, how often does that come into play, many opinions on that. The point I was making was it's listed as "Best" in the Arsenal not a terrible ship, but not a "Best" I did some research on her before purchasing but stats doesn't always transfer to in game play. I still play her and have fun just the point of horrible torpedo angles that are not the "Best". Thanks for all the input and opinions on this topic. And perhaps Wargaming.net did mean it as a "Best Deal"

Edited by Sea_Jotun
Left out final tought

[THREE]
Members
2,305 posts
12,404 battles

Hey

At least it's only T4; try playing the garbage boat Kii at T8; much less when up-tired to T10.  The Kii makes me want to skip the entire Japanese BB line (and I still have those ARP Kongo's too), and skipping Ashitaka as well.

Pete