You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BearlyHereBear

Penetration or Incapacitation: How can there be no damage?

17 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
4,669 posts
7,770 battles

It happens when you penetrate an external module, like a turret, but do not penetrate the ship itself, therefore scoring no HP damage.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

It's because the damage calculation for modules is calculated separately from the damage calculation for the major parts of the ship. It's just a programming artifact.

I always think it a bit funny when I lob a shell into a cap and come back with a "Defended" ribbon and no apparent hits to anything.

[RKLES]
Members
12,213 posts
13,844 battles

Yeah I asked the same thing few weeks ago and it’s turret Damage usually,  you get enough hits into those and the turrets will be destroyed.

[-ARM-]
Beta Testers
982 posts
9,836 battles

Think of it along the lines of external modules, such as turrets, having separate HP bars from the ship's main HP bar. A shell that hits/pens the turret armor, but does not go through and pen into the ship proper, then only the turret will see HP loss. It is simply that the game does not track the turret damage.

On a somewhat related topic, whenever in a close-in brawl with a battleship, do you ever aim for the turrets of your opponent instead of just hitting the superstructure?

Members
552 posts
5,361 battles
3 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

On a somewhat related topic, whenever in a close-in brawl with a battleship, do you ever aim for the turrets of your opponent instead of just hitting the superstructure?

Depends on where the enemy turrets are pointing.  Generally when brawling they are pointed at me and trying to pen turret face armor can be dicey, except for maybe British BBs which have flat turret faces.  If I can get a hit into the side or rear of the turret absolutely.

WRT OP:  As stated above external module hits deal no HP damage to the ship itself; if the hit doesn't do enough damage to incapacitate or destroy the module you get no feedback from the game indicating what happened other than a hit ribbon.

[K-9]
Beta Testers
2,012 posts

That mechanic is idiotic. Yamato AP hits DD turrets for zero damage, 'damages turret'.

umm... that turret should be gone. With significant damage inflicted.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,809 posts
10,318 battles
49 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

That mechanic is idiotic. Yamato AP hits DD turrets for zero damage, 'damages turret'.

umm... that turret should be gone. With significant damage inflicted.

It used to be that DD guns were very easily destroyed.  It might have been realistic, but it was extremely annoying.  Especially since hitting a turret with BB shells is more luck than anything.

As for damage, why would there be significant damage if the shell never hits the hull of the ship?

[WORX]
Members
9,653 posts
17,603 battles
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

See this every once in a while...just wondering?

You did DMG, you got the Incapacitation ribbon. But its not the hull, and  here better explanation here.

[K-9]
Beta Testers
2,012 posts
22 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

It used to be that DD guns were very easily destroyed.  It might have been realistic, but it was extremely annoying.  Especially since hitting a turret with BB shells is more luck than anything.

As for damage, why would there be significant damage if the shell never hits the hull of the ship?

shell hits DD in the nose or rear. It should literally go through all turrets and the whole superstructure.

In WG lalaland, the shell vanishes upon the first turret it touches after 'incapacitating it'.

Sorry but I prefer turrets being destroyed. It was a valid mechanic when it was in place.. hell, other ships used to aim for yamato turrets to knock them out because it was the best way to neutralize it. Likewise, Yamato would knock theirs out. Maneuvering was part of the combat equation in BB combat... now its all about angling and staying that way 'tanking' incoming BB AP shells.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,809 posts
10,318 battles
1 minute ago, Skyfaller said:

shell hits DD in the nose or rear. It should literally go through all turrets and the whole superstructure.

In WG lalaland, the shell vanishes upon the first turret it touches after 'incapacitating it'.

That is in fact how it works though.  The shell will go through all the turrets and the whole superstructure, if they are on the shell's trajectory.  The shell only disappears once the shell hits effective armor thick enough to fuse it, and after the fuse timer hits 0.

As for the destroyable turrets?  I agree it did add another approach to the game, but the sheer number of complaints about it made it pretty clear most people would rather be dead than have to play out an Atlanta match with 2 turrets left.  Or the infamous 1 turret t6 Ognevoi.

[K-9]
Beta Testers
2,012 posts
3 hours ago, Kenjister said:

That is in fact how it works though.  The shell will go through all the turrets and the whole superstructure, if they are on the shell's trajectory.  The shell only disappears once the shell hits effective armor thick enough to fuse it, and after the fuse timer hits 0.

As for the destroyable turrets?  I agree it did add another approach to the game, but the sheer number of complaints about it made it pretty clear most people would rather be dead than have to play out an Atlanta match with 2 turrets left.  Or the infamous 1 turret t6 Ognevoi.

No it is not how it works. You can test it yourself in a practice battle. Set a DD to sit in place, run your yamato out, get inside 6km of a DD and lob shells at it from straight in front of the DD or straight behind it. Watch your shells hit the front or aftmost turret . 

...and see the turret directly behind it is never damaged.. nor the superstructure/bridge. If the shell did go through the turret it would go through the one behind it too. That however, never happens..despite the Yamato shell itself being practically as big and wide as the DD turret itself. 

oh, and yes, for 0dmg to the DD. Hits the turret right? The shell would overpen for ~1200dmg if it was going through the superstructure too...and again, this is not seen at all. 

Members
4,083 posts
4,347 battles

Its annoying, but amusing to look back on, when you pen for zero damage for hitting the torpedo bulge. 

Also I too prefer it being the way it is now. Naturally i'd rather lose a turret for no damage than to maybe lose a turret and still get citadeled. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

May or may not have been the reason however if I understand it correctly damage saturation in an area on the ship can also result in 0 damage. If you've hit "totally blackened" areas of a ship and see 0 damage, this is the likely culprit. Shift your aim to other less damaged areas of a ship to start getting full value for your hits again.  

Overpens are an exception and will continuously dish out 10%... but I believe normal penetrating hits will do 0.

Edited by _ENO_

Alpha Tester
4,281 posts
6,182 battles

Destroying turrets is absolutely not removed, ships can and do suffer from turret destruction on a regular basis. The issue you're probably seeing is that AP overpens lightly armored destroyer turrets, and they do have enough HP to survive a AP overpen(Fletcher turret has 4000 HP). IIRC, a shell that leaves the ship instantly becomes an overpen, shells don't get to fly through empty space afterwards. OFC, 460mm AP would likely just overpen all the turrets and superstructure in sequence, so you're not losing that much. If you want to bust destoyer modules, load HE.

EDIT: For my part, I feel that main battery turrets should really feed damage back to the overall hull, rather than being disconnected blobs of HP, but rebalancing that at this stage would be kind of a headache so it's unlikely to happen.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,809 posts
10,318 battles
21 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

No it is not how it works. You can test it yourself in a practice battle. Set a DD to sit in place, run your yamato out, get inside 6km of a DD and lob shells at it from straight in front of the DD or straight behind it. Watch your shells hit the front or aftmost turret . 

...and see the turret directly behind it is never damaged.. nor the superstructure/bridge. If the shell did go through the turret it would go through the one behind it too. That however, never happens..despite the Yamato shell itself being practically as big and wide as the DD turret itself. 

oh, and yes, for 0dmg to the DD. Hits the turret right? The shell would overpen for ~1200dmg if it was going through the superstructure too...and again, this is not seen at all. 

I'm sorry, but it proves just the opposite.  You'll get countless overpens,with overpen damage, and destroyed turrets to boot.  It's quite easy to replicate with a lineup of stationary bot gearings.  With superfiring forward turrets you can consistently land shells on the turrets that overpen the superstructure.