You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FloridaPanther25

Des Moines or Worcester?

15 comments in this topic

Members
85 posts
12,735 battles

I currently have the Atlanta and am planning on getting the Salem with coal. I could get the Des Moines or the Worcester. Which would you get? DM seems solid and takes a lot of comparative abuse. Worcester looks like a lot of fun and I've been annihilated by both continually. What advice would you have? Thanks in advance.

[INTEL]
Members
2,781 posts
15,265 battles

How well do you do in the Atlanta?  The playstyle of the Worcester is similar.

Edited by ClassicLib

[ADOPT]
Members
3 posts
3,683 battles

it boils down to personal preference.
dm is way more tanky and more forgiving if you make a major mistake in your game, but worcester you will get punished heavily if you make a mistake (same goes for dm but you can take more punish), if you have atlanta you already have some experience in worcester as atlanta is just worcester sized down and put at tier 7, so if u find atlanta fun and are good with it go for worcester, but skip seattle cuz that boat is absolute trash lol

[WOLF2]
Members
255 posts
6,483 battles

If you love the Atlanta (which is my personal favorite Premium), you will adore the Worcester. It's much tankier than the ATL, and with IFHE (a mandatory skill) it absolutely wrecks everything in its path. 

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
806 posts
7,007 battles

I'd go with the Worcester. Within 15km, this ship can do any task a cruiser is expected to perform, and is probably over-tuned in her current state. The Worcester has it all: lightning fast turret traverse, stealth radar capability, sonar, unparalleled AA power, HE DPM that will melt anything, and a base gun range of 16.7km which is basically power-creep for a USN cruiser. The biggest flaws of the Worcester are hitting fleeing ships past 15km since your shells will fall short, and engaging targets head on due to less than ideal turret firing angles.

The Des Moines is my most played ship, but I'd pick the Worcester over the DM any day of the week. You're arguably the most dangerous ship an enemy DD can run into because of your stealth radar+HE combo, and your DPM makes you a significant threat to everything else within reasonable distances. Just don't try to bow tank or CQC other ships (unless you're doing a drive-by) and the Worcester will treat you well.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Both are great ships, they just have different play styles. I prefer the Wooster myself but, if you make mistakes in it you will be punished severely for it.

[PIRAT]
Beta Testers
288 posts
5,333 battles

DM for fast hard hitting guns to wreck cruisers, and broadside BBs. WOR for gatling like Dakka Dakka to r*pe DDs, and burner up BBs.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,167 posts
22,173 battles

I had a post a while back on a long comparison between DM & Worcester.

As others mentioned, Atlanta experience translates well into Worcester.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

I tend to prefer the Des Moines. It's fast-firing 203's AP can eat up broadside cruisers and, unless you are facing a Yamato, which can damage you no matter how you are angled, when angled it can do considerable damage to a battleship while receiving only moderate damage itself. Most battleships and heavy cruisers can easily damage a Worcester.  The Des Moines is easier to hit with as it has less arc to its shells. Conversely, the Worcester can arc shells over islands and hit undetected targets if you have a general idea of where they might be. After the CV rework the Worcester may be seen in a new light, as when properly spec'd it has the highest AA DPM of any ship in the game. However, the Des Moines is no slouch where it comes to AA either. I was able to unlock and purchase both recently but I play the Des Moines more as it just suits my play-style better.  Without a rock to hide behind the Worcester sort of feels like a sitting duck.   

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
5 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

does worcester have the same high arch shells as cleveland? then DM is better, at least tolerable

It has the same shell arcs but the rate of fire is substantially higher. It's therefore much easier to "walk" the shells onto a target with the Worcester. 

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

Do more consistent damage with DM, but Worcester is more fun. Once a flank sees the fire raining down on them from behind an island, they usually turn tail.

Members
3,010 posts
10,189 battles

You can do a pretty nasty stealth/radar build with the Worcester.

But as others have said, the DM is more tanky, the Worc is a bit more versatile (just my humble opinion).

[WOLFB]
Members
3,374 posts
14,036 battles

Des Moines is better at fighting CA and BB thanks to her fast firing 203mm guns and improved AP pen.

Worcester is better at fighting DD and CV thanks to her broken concealment + radar and her monstruous AA.

Both are good ship and plays almost the same but they excell at different task. But both have in common that power to stop prevent aggressive pushes .

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles

From fighting them:

DM has better AP since bigger guns

Worchester is more of an HE spammer.

Both are pretty vicious at AA, to my knowledge, but Worchester benefits more from MAA. Their deadly medium-range AA is very vulnerable to any HE spam though. Once that's gone even a wooster isn't fighting off Shokaku runs.