You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Exodium

BBs unfun to play/overnerfed

105 comments in this topic

Members
23 posts
381 battles

Other ships dodge your salvos easily and continue pelting you with HE while you spend time reloading. When you do hit, you get a bunch of crap excuses on why you did no damage. Overpen, nopen, pen but no citadel, etc. I literally hit just above the waterline on a cruiser my tier and I don't get citadels? I remember back in the day if you actually hit a good salvo you could easily get devastating strike and wipe out a cruiser. Now, I never see BBs get it, only DDs with torpedoes. Secondary guns are a JOKE too and you get demolished by torps if you get that close to anything. They should have up to ~12km base range with reduced accuracy depending on caliber, not 5 km for all guns. Either that or let us manually shoot secondaries at normal cruiser range the same way cruisers/DDs can switch to torpedoes.

So basically:

1. Never get cidatel hits anymore. (exaggeration, but I hit a full salvo where the citadel is and only SOMETIMES I get a citadel, and mostly its crapdamage when I should be getting 2-3 citadels with those hits)

2. Secondaries useless.

If you don't want primary guns doing a lot of damage at least give us secondaries. Right now BBs are damage sponges. This isn't an RPG where you have tanks, dps, and support. BBs are meant to be powerful but slow and are meant to be super strong versus cruisers but weak versus dds or extremely weak vs carries depending on secondaries/AA.

Now with the CV rework, I heard you guys saying you don't like when players have high impact. wth? You should want EVERYONE to have more impact on the game, not nerf the only class that has the correct level of impact!

I know a lot of people are going to instantly defend WG and tell me how great BBs can be in the right hands. Yes, I get it I'm sure it's not as bad as I made it out to be here, but the power fantasy is gone and thus the game isn't worth playing for me.

Anyways, you're all mostly replying how I expected. Valid points, but like I said, I am complaining about HITTING cruisers my tier WHERE THE CITADEL is and not scoring citadels for no legitimate reason.

I had a game recently with a cruiser at half hp around 5 km away showing his broadside. I thought "this guy is toast", I shoot a full salvo aimed at his citadel and visibly hit the ship correctly, but zero citadels and he keeps pelting the HE and starting fires. Back in 2012 he would have been destroyed right there. Too much RNG against citadels now.

Edited by Exodium
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 22

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

I get plenty of citadels in BBs. Maybe you need to get in closer. 

You can get ~11k secondaries on German, French, Mass. Everyone having them wouldn't be fun. 

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles

I agree with you on citadel hits.  Especially against other BBs.  Most BB lines appear to be moving to really hard to hit citadels, it removes punishment for bad play/positioning.

Some of the CLs close in just need to flat broadside BBs and will get overpens rather than cits.

Secondaries are fine.  They are done that way for balance.  The only line I'd consider for secondary buffs is the Germans.  Its just not worth specing into secondary builds in this meta.

• Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
4,032 posts
6,179 battles

The way I read it you play because of the "power fantasy" of being the strongest ship and dominating everything:Smile_amazed:?

Guess I'm an idiot for playing cruisers and DDs then :Smile_sad:.

• Funny 5

[TBW]
Members
9,814 posts
16,571 battles
17 minutes ago, Exodium said:

I know a lot of people are going to instantly defend WG and tell me how great BBs can be in the right hands. Yes, I get it I'm sure it's not as bad as I made it out to be here, but the power fantasy is gone and thus the game isn't worth playing for me.

This game is a lot more involved than you see on the surface. Knowledge is key, those that seek it, enjoy the game. Those that don't, either play just to shoot at things or don't like it and quit. Quitting is easy, learning is not.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles

If BBs were not fun to play, I would not keep playing the class.  I am too lazy to look into my stats, but I am pretty sure BBs are my most played class.

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
15 minutes ago, Exodium said:

I think people are going to say you have very little experience in game and if you want the "power fantasy" to return spend more time getting better at the game and less time slamming it. 

• Cool 2

Members
23 posts
381 battles
7 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The way I read it you play because of the "power fantasy" of being the strongest ship and dominating everything:Smile_amazed:?

Guess I'm an idiot for playing cruisers and DDs then :Smile_sad:.

I did say BBs are supposed to be weak vs DDs and CVs...

Anyways, you're all mostly replying how I expected. Valid points, but like I said, I am complaining about HITTING cruisers my tier WHERE THE CITADEL is and not scoring citadels for no legitimate reason.

Not complaining about DDs,  getting blasted by carriers, other BBs.

Edited by Exodium

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles
19 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Never get cidatel hits

Play the Nurnburg (Tier VI German cruiser) for a while and then try to tell me BB's don't get citadel hits anymore.

Or for that matter, play most any cruiser at or above Tier 4.

• Funny 2

[KWF]
Members
4,032 posts
6,179 battles
Just now, Exodium said:

I don't disagree with you, I just can't understand what you mean exactly by power fantasy.

And personally, there are loads of classes/ships to play, I can't understand it as a reason to quit either.

[RKLES]
Members
12,213 posts
13,844 battles
11 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I agree with you on citadel hits.  Especially against other BBs.  Most BB lines appear to be moving to really hard to hit citadels, it removes punishment for bad play/positioning.

Some of the CLs close in just need to flat broadside BBs and will get overpens rather than cits.

Secondaries are fine.  They are done that way for balance.  The only line I'd consider for secondary buffs is the Germans.  Its just not worth specing into secondary builds in this meta.

Depends on their armor and the range, mid range or close range you are very unlikely to get citadel hits against German BBs as well as any other BB that has the “ Turtleback” citadel armor. But such ships are vulnerable to long range AP shells. Rest of the BBs if you are not getting citadel hits onnthem simply get closer and you are more likely  to. I still rack up the citadel hits the same as always, but then again I like to brawl close range and usually against ships that don’t have the turtleback citadel armor lol.

[RKLES]
Members
12,213 posts
13,844 battles
25 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Other ships dodge your salvos easily and continue pelting you with HE while you spend time reloading. When you do hit, you get a bunch of crap excuses on why you did no damage. Overpen, nopen, pen but no citadel, etc. I literally hit just above the waterline on a cruiser my tier and I don't get citadels? I remember back in the day if you actually hit a good salvo you could easily get devastating strike and wipe out a cruiser. Now, I never see BBs get it, only DDs with torpedoes. Secondary guns are a JOKE too and you get demolished by torps if you get that close to anything. They should have up to ~12km base range with reduced accuracy depending on caliber, not 5 km for all guns. Either that or let us manually shoot secondaries at normal cruiser range the same way cruisers/DDs can switch to torpedoes.

So basically:

1. Never get cidatel hits anymore. (exaggeration, but I hit a full salvo where the citadel is and only SOMETIMES I get a citadel, and mostly its crapdamage when I should be getting 2-3 citadels with those hits)

2. Secondaries useless.

If you don't want primary guns doing a lot of damage at least give us secondaries. Right now BBs are damage sponges. This isn't an RPG where you have tanks, dps, and support. BBs are meant to be powerful but slow and are meant to be super strong versus cruisers but weak versus dds or extremely weak vs carries depending on secondaries/AA.

Now with the CV rework, I heard you guys saying you don't like when players have high impact. wth? You should want EVERYONE to have more impact on the game, not nerf the only class that has the correct level of impact!

D2F9015F-0762-47C3-820C-5231C287E839.jpeg.71b90ee8618b12e3abf0afec3c57f732.jpeg

• Cool 1

Members
23 posts
381 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I don't disagree with you, I just can't understand what you mean exactly by power fantasy.

And personally, there are loads of classes/ships to play, I can't understand it as a reason to quit either.

Yea of course. I liked CVs but theyre getting gutted too so it's down to DD and cruisers.

Power fantasy is a common idea in all games. It basically means players get to feel powerful in their own way without destroying balance. For example, the power fantasy of a warrior would be being really strong in close combat, but it might be balanced by being easy to kite.

In world of warships, the power fantasy of BBs is completely destroying cruisers if you land good hits, but balanced around long reload times and cruisers being good at dodging salvos with their greater speed, at least avoiding the citadel hits. DD's power fantasy is being able to severely damage large ships with good torpedo hits but be really weak versus ships that can dodge their torps, which I think is still the case.

Right now, I see cruisers just standing there not even trying to dodge, I hit their citadel spots correctly, but just overpen, get normal pens, and only occasionally get a citadel hit.

• Cool 1

Members
23 posts
381 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

D2F9015F-0762-47C3-820C-5231C287E839.jpeg.71b90ee8618b12e3abf0afec3c57f732.jpegUrlAdvisorSuspiciousImage.png

I may be doing it wrong, but your win rate despite all your battles played is 47%...with BBs my winrate is 51%

• Cool 1
  • Meh 6

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,604 posts
17,327 battles

Looking at OPs stats, number of battles, and tier progression,  he is experiencing the NORMAL state of a BB main.  Running the US line, he seems to have done very well at T6, dropped off at T7, and not enough games at T8 to make an assessment.  There is a pretty big jump from T6 to T7 in the US line because one goes from 12 14 inchers to 8 16 inchers...The reduction in rounds....the bigger maps...the better players....all adds up to a significant delta in expectations.  The Colorado was my most difficult transition many moons ago.  I didn't get good at CO until AFTER I gained top tier experience.  It's one of those ships you do poorly with in transition, but can come back to and do well.

As for the lack of cits....drive broadside in that NC in a T10 match and you will get cit'd left and right...even by cruisers!!!!!  

The cits will come.  Just recognize that the meta changes in the high tiers.  Fires can be managed.  Torps dodged.  Consumable management becomes critical.  Situational Awareness too.  And it goes both ways.  It's harder to get cits on good players because...well...they know how to use their ship to limit the cits.  All part of the EXPERIENCE that is WOWS.  It requires thinking.  Understanding the ships.  Something that takes time and play.  A lot.  Even at 12000 games, I still have things to learn.   

• Cool 9

Members
4,415 posts
17,974 battles
12 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Not complaining about DDs,  getting blasted by carriers, other BBs.

If you hit a Cruiser where it's citadel is with BB AP, you will get a cit. So you apparently didn't hit the citadel.

3 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Right now, I see cruisers just standing there not even trying to dodge, I hit their citadel spots correctly, but just overpen, get normal pens, and only occasionally get a citadel hit.

Those are some pretty bad Cruiser drivers then because any experienced CA/CL driver is going to be WASD hacking like crazy when in battle. FYI; Despite their having huge citadels, you are not going to get one shot citadel kills on every Cruiser that you shoot at.

[SHAFT]
Members
796 posts
16,699 battles

Ok, Soshi just killed the thread with a logical explanation, move on nothing more to see.

• Funny 2

[NWNG]
Members
3,071 posts
4,925 battles
18 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

If BBs were not fun to play, I would not keep playing the class.  I am too lazy to look into my stats, but I am pretty sure BBs are my most played class.

Please don't look down on me, for this, but you made me curious

50.76% of all battles you played, are in Battleships, with 2,794 battles
1,637 29.74%, in cruisers
949 17.24%, in destroyers
124 2.25% in carriers.

2 minutes ago, Exodium said:

I may be doing it wrong, but your win rate despite all your battles played is 47%...with BBs my winrate is 51%

You also only played 355 battles, while he played 7,681... so your winrate is meaningless, compared to his. His winrate only indicates him to be an average player. Same with your winrate, indicating average player. DO NOT EVER TRY TO STAT SHAME SOMEONE WITH MORE BATTLES THAN YOU!

• Cool 5

[WOLF3]
Members
25,226 posts
22,240 battles

LOL I play Battleships for stress free WoWS gaming!  All the nasty little things that instantly kill you as a Destroyer or Cruiser from full or high HP levels just doesn't happen with any sort of regularity for a Battleship.

A BB can easily last late into the game while the Cruiser or Destroyer can't f--k anything up, or they get instantly deleted.  Matter of fact, DD play is so unforgiving, in a typical PVP game, they are all the first ships to die as a type.  It's not that surprising that within 5 minutes of the start of general shooting, that all or almost all the DDs are dead.  That's hard play right there.

BBs nerfed?  I think not.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
3,071 posts
4,925 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL I play Battleships for stress free WoWS gaming!  All the nasty little things that instantly kill you as a Destroyer or Cruiser from full or high HP levels just doesn't happen with any sort of regularity for a Battleship.

I was about to say something, until I noticed that word (bolded in quote above). Now I have nothing to say, wth man, didn't you get the memo that we're supposed to argue today about battleships?

[WOLF3]
Members
25,226 posts
22,240 battles
4 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I was about to say something, until I noticed that word (bolded in quote above). Now I have nothing to say, wth man, didn't you get the memo that we're supposed to argue today about battleships?

I don't need memos about the subject, I'll argue about anything! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 2

Members
23 posts
381 battles
12 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Please don't look down on me, for this, but you made me curious

50.76% of all battles you played, are in Battleships, with 2,794 battles
1,637 29.74%, in cruisers
949 17.24%, in destroyers
124 2.25% in carriers.

You also only played 355 battles, while he played 7,681... so your winrate is meaningless, compared to his. His winraOf te only indicates him to be an average player. Same with your winrate, indicating average player. DO NOT EVER TRY TO STAT SHAME SOMEONE WITH MORE BATTLES THAN YOU!

Of course not, but he was trying to be funny with memes trying to make fun of me when he's not even good either.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,647 posts
4,602 battles
53 minutes ago, Exodium said:

Nice strategy.  Attack people who would reply to you even before they do.  And of course, your failure is WG's fault.  But I have some spare salt, so...

I notice a couple things that might be significant.  You haven't mentioned:

• Ammo selection
  • Target angles
  • Engagement ranges
  • Tiers and BBs played
  • Battle mode(s)

There are nuances to this game that maybe you haven't begun to appreciate yet?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,647 posts
4,602 battles
1 minute ago, Exodium said:

he was trying to be funny with memes trying to make fun of me

You're doing a good job of that all by yourself.

• Funny 1

Members
23 posts
381 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Nice strategy.  Attack people who would reply to you even before they do.  And of course, your failure is WG's fault.  But I have some spare salt, so...

I notice a couple things that might be significant.  You haven't mentioned:

• Ammo selection
  • Target angles
  • Engagement ranges
  • Tiers and BBs played
  • Battle mode(s)

There are nuances to this game that maybe you haven't begun to appreciate yet?

I was pretty clear. Hitting cruisers my tier that's broadsiding with AP where the citadel should be (waterline in the center area underneath turrets etc) and not getting citadels