You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
fbrrhd

Yamato Legendary upgrade

34 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
965 posts
32,027 battles

First I will say I worked hard to get this upgrade. I watched both Flamu and ichase videos on which upgrades they thought were "better" and not just side grades or downgrades. I have HIndy (good upgrade) Wooster ( side grade as you give away too much for a few more sec. of radar).

Which brings me to Yamato. Both of the above had an opinion on whether or not this was worth the extra traverse vs dispersion.

Nether addressed a major drawback in reload. While the upgrade "improves" reload time, both failed to mention the upgrade takes the place of the "normal" reload speed slot.

So while reload is improved over "base" and dispersion is decreased from 256 to 238 with the upgrade (and I think it was ichase that said while that looks good in practice it's marginal.)

What the major drawback for me is the reload and turret traverse make this "upgrade" (in dispersion) not even close to "worth it"!!!!!!!!

Before upgrade (with reload and turret rotation choices selected in normal modes) the reload is 26.4 sec and rotation at 54.4 .

With the "ledgenary upgrade" (replacing the normal reload slot) the reload is slower at 28.2 sec and turrets increase to 57.5.

So heads up if you think slower reload and slower turrets are worth a slightly better dispersion. 

I didn't find it so and would rank this upgrade very poor trade off. 

YMMV but for those working on multiple upgrades you may wish to consider if some others merit more time to get vs Yamato!

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles

I went over every legendary upgrade available for the eight tier 10 ships I own, and I found that the trade off is not worth the upgrade.  There are close calls though, and Yamato is one of them, but it largely depends on how you use the ship.  Yamato's most effective range for me has always been mid-range, where you can get absolutely murderous salvos in on regular basis.  At such distance rate of fire (turret traverse as well, but less so) becomes more important than dispersion.  To that effect, Republique legendary looks more attractive to me, since it trades range for rate of fire.  It is different for cruisers though, I am too reluctant to give away Zao's range, since I like to use that ship farther away (compared to BBs that is).

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

2 seconds reload and 3 seconds turret traverse are all you're giving up. That's it. There's nothing else. In exchange you get to improve the already accurate guns. OP i think you're missing the point. These weren't meant to be straight up better upgrades, they are (mostly) "sidegrades", which differentiate the playstyle of a ship instead of outright buffing it. 

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,760 battles

It was never intended as an upgrade, but as a way to make the yamato more specialized in the long range sniper role. Reload speed and traverse doesn't matter if your aim is accurate enough to dev strike a cruiser 20km away. 

[WOLFB]
Members
965 posts
32,027 battles

If all you do is snipe, I would agree dispersion helps. But in closer battles the turret traverse and also reload matter. My point was nether of the videos made it clear you would give up reload times for this upgrade. For someone that likes closer brawling, it is something to consider, when deciding which ship to try and get the upgrades on first, I would not have pursued Yamato had it been more clear what besides turret rotation I would be giving up  reload. 

Edited by fbrrhd

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
14 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

but as a way to make the yamato more specialized in the long range sniper role

19 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

dev strike a cruiser 20km away

My stomach hurts from laughing

that was a good one

• Boring 1

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,760 battles

Well, they realized that it was too good during testing and had to curb its effectiveness.

Side note, did you know that all IJN BBs have worse dispersion at short ranges compared to other BBs? It becomes tighter the farther your target is. Past 10km, the dispersion behaves normally becomes larger.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,760 battles
3 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

My stomach hurts from laughing

that was a good one

My Yamato's 61% wr in random solo don't lie.

The problem is most ppl don't know how to land shots at long range or when to push in properly in a Yamato, so they assume either extremes for game play.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
4 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

The problem is most ppl don't know how to land shots at long range or when to push in properly in a Yamato, so they assume either extremes for game play.

Was making a joke about nailing cruisers at 20km. Any cruiser worth anything at that tier won't get hit by any battleship at that range. Mash the rudder and play with the speed and there is no way that shot is going to hit unless they are beached or their engine is broken. Perfect aim can't nullify the ability to see the shot coming and react in time to avoid it alltogether. 

• Meh 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
40 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

2 seconds reload and 3 seconds turret traverse are all you're giving up. That's it. There's nothing else. In exchange you get to improve the already accurate guns. OP i think you're missing the point. These weren't meant to be straight up better upgrades, they are (mostly) "sidegrades", which differentiate the playstyle of a ship instead of outright buffing it. 

You are funny.  Only 2 seconds huh?  Republique LEGENDARY upgrade trades 12% to ROF to 18%, which is 6% LEGENDARY gain.  Translated into Yamato terms, 6% of ROF is less than 2 seconds, and that's a freakin' legendary upgrade.  So 2 seconds is a bigger deal than what you think.

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,300 posts
13,898 battles

I'm nothing great in the Yammie, but I find I am more consistent with the mod than without. FWIW

Members
677 posts

Broadly speaking, I find it a bit of a misfire that WG doesn't really push on how "awesome" getting legendary upgrades are. You don't really know about them unless you have a Tier 10 and pay attention to the Personal missions, and there aren't prompts at lower tiers saying "you are so close to a Tier 10 and a sweet legendary upgrade!". This is a problem with their in-game incentive messaging system, which, to be honest, doesn't exist.  I have the Hindy, Des Moines, Gearing, and Shima, and the only way I knew (or cared) about the legendary upgrades was from the forum.

Talk about not...legendary....marketing.

[SIMP]
Members
1,434 posts
22 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Broadly speaking, I find it a bit of a misfire that WG doesn't really push on how "awesome" getting legendary upgrades are. You don't really know about them unless you have a Tier 10 and pay attention to the Personal missions, and there aren't prompts at lower tiers saying "you are so close to a Tier 10 and a sweet legendary upgrade!". This is a problem with their in-game incentive messaging system, which, to be honest, doesn't exist.  I have the Hindy, Des Moines, Gearing, and Shima, and the only way I knew (or cared) about the legendary upgrades was from the forum.

Talk about not...legendary....marketing.

That's because these upgrades are far from 'Legendary'.

To be truly legendary, they all should have been improvements only to existing stats (no negatives at all, only positive). There are only a few LUs that accomplish this, as most have some drawback (negatives) to 'balance' the improvement.

They really should have been called 'Grinding Modules' as you have to spend a lot of time grinding to obtain, what in any other light, is simply another 'regular' module option that easily could have been placed in the standard lists.

Edited by capncrunch21
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles

You can look at the numbers for the Yamato UU in this thread and compare to the numbers for all of the other slot 6 upgrades.

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
29 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

There are only a few LUs that accomplish this, as most have some drawback (negatives) to 'balance' the improvement.

There are NO legendary upgrades that come without penalty.  If you see one without the negative fine print on it, it’s only because it replaces some important module while providing less (or none) of the bonus that replaced module provided.  For example look at Zao upgrade, it looks all good.  Never mind that it occupies slot 6, which happens to be the slot that is often used for 16% gun range, while legendary has half that range bonus.

• Cool 1

Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
8,472 battles

You can still fight close quarters with the legendary upgrade.

ox7hvYz.png

The legendary upgrade's dispersion change may seem not worth it, but it can be the difference between a dead ship and a single hit.

All 3 shells from my first salvo hit this Z-52 for pens, for example, at 10km, unlocked.

You also have enough time to fire on targets in a 120 degree arc with only a little maneuvering.

Edited by Compassghost

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
10 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

The legendary upgrade's dispersion change may seem not worth it, but it can be the difference between a dead ship and a single hit.

Agreed.  However, 2 second faster reload could mean the difference between you sinking or the other guy.  It cuts both ways.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
2,930 posts
8,460 battles

You can stack the unique upgrade dispersion accuracy with the slot 3 aiming systems mod 1 which gives you 238m dispersion at max range since the base dispersion of the Yamato is at 275m

Personally I will use this upgrade on the Yamato since I have the Musashi.

[SIMP]
Members
1,434 posts
9 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

There are NO legendary upgrades that come without penalty.  If you see one without the negative fine print on it, it’s only because it replaces some important module while providing less (or none) of the bonus that replaced module provided.  For example look at Zao upgrade, it looks all good.  Never mind that it occupies slot 6, which happens to be the slot that is often used for 16% gun range, while legendary has half that range bonus.

So true!

[KRAK]
Members
3,547 posts
20,230 battles
9 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

The Minotaur Legendary mod has no real significant downside.

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
5 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

All those little number sure may not look significant to you, but they are.  Your torps have 10km range and the legendary reduces your concealment from 8.9km to 9.3km, every 100 meters matters when you get swatted in one salvo.

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
16 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

7 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

All those little number sure may not look significant to you, but they are.  Your torps have 10km range and the legendary reduces your concealment from 8.9km to 9.3km, every 100 meters matters when you get swatted in one salvo.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:08 PM, Kizarvexis said:

So this is a look at the actual numbers that change with the Unique Upgrades (UU) and other upgrades, instead of -x% this and +y% that. I am NOT saying you have to use any particular upgrade. The idea is to look at each upgrade the slot the UU is in and give you the ability to compare numbers between them, so that you can decided whether to try the UU or another upgrade or not. Please go with what you think works best for you after looking at the various upgrades and comments. That said, if you like or dislike an upgrade, please say why as well. That way, people reading this thread and trying to decide if they want the Unique Upgrade or not, have something that gives an opinion on why a UU upgrade or other upgrade works for you or not. I will put my opinion at the end, but realize, my opinion is based on the numbers and not experiece playing with this upgrade, so take it with a large grain of salt. If you find any errors, please let me know and I will update the error appropriately. (The CV rework just teased is a WIP, so I can not cover that as we have no numbers for anything yet.)

Minotaur Enhanced Smoke Generator mod slot 5 Unique (Legendary) Upgrade

The Minotaur Unique Upgrade gives +150% smoke generation time, +10% max dispersion of shells fired at you, -5% detectability by sea, -15% duration of smoke puffs

Unique Upgrade in slot 5
22.5 second emission time, with slot 3 special Smoke Gen mod 1 you get 29.3s emission time 
96 second smoke puff duration, with slot 3 special Smoke Gen mod 1 you get 91.2s smoke puff duration
10.4 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 8.3 second rudder shift

9.3 km concealment with CE skill, camo & unique upgrade.

+10% maximum dispersion for shells fired at you
2km assured acquisition of enemy ships

Concealment upgrade in slot 5
15 second emission time, with slot 3 special Smoke Gen mod 1 you get 17s emission time
113 second smoke puff duration, with slot 3 special Smoke Gen mod 1 you get 107.4s smoke puff duration

8.9 km concealment with CE skill, camo & concealment upgrade.

+5% maximum dispersion for shells fired at you

Target Acquisition System mod 1 in slot 5
15 second emission time, with slot 3 special Smoke Gen mod 1 you get 17s emission time
113 second smoke puff duration, with slot 3 special Smoke Gen mod 1 you get 107.4s smoke puff duration

9.8 km concealment with CE skill & camo.
3km assured acquisition of enemy ships
+20% to range that you spot ships
+20% acquistions range of torpedoes, stacks with vigilance

Steering Gears mod 3 in slot 5
6.2 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 5 second rudder shift

-80% steering gears repair time (I could not find the repair time in the Wiki)
9.8 km concealment with CE skill & camo.

So by giving up 0.4km in stealth, you get 7.5 or more seconds of smoke gen for 17 less seconds per puff. You also get an extra +5% max dispersion of shells fired at you. If you like to sit in smoke outside of RADAR range, this just might be the mod for you. If you stack it with the special smoke mod you can almost double the emission time at the cost of 21.2s per puff. 

Master Thread link for ALL T-10 Unique (Legendary) Upgrades

[LWA]
Members
1,073 posts
13,157 battles
11 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Was making a joke about nailing cruisers at 20km. Any cruiser worth anything at that tier won't get hit by any battleship at that range. Mash the rudder and play with the speed and there is no way that shot is going to hit unless they are beached or their engine is broken. Perfect aim can't nullify the ability to see the shot coming and react in time to avoid it alltogether. 

or the BBs aim is so bad they hit you anyways as you are kiting your [edited]off.