You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Praos

Coal question? Salem or wait?

salem or wait  

49 members have voted

1. 1. get Salem now or wait to see what comes out

• Salem, no Des Moines
    • Wait
  2. 2. Salem or Des Moines

• Salem for 180k coal, no Des MoInes
    • Des Moines free xp half the ships, no Salem
    • Both! Salem now, Des Moines later

34 comments in this topic

[EPOCH]
Members
43 posts
6,003 battles

OK, so i just got enough coal for the Salem with the coupon, should i get it or wait?

i don't have Des Moines and don't really plan in grinding it anytime soon as i'm committed to to many other lines. so i've been considering just getting Salem instead and skipping the line all together.

i also see that there are a lot of premiums around the corn the i would want more than Salem like Jean Bart ,the unknown T10 French BB, and Alaska and what ever else they may be cooking up. however we don't know how any of these will be sold

i really want a Salem or Des Moines so this would be an easy out, Salem is said to be able to be a bit more aggressive play style over Des Monies which aligns with my play style better so given the choice i'd pick Salem anyway

to avoid a debate over player skill:

i also understand there is the whole "learn the line, through the Grind" thing, however i feel confident in my skills enough to say it would only take me a short time to get used to it. espesaly because balti and buffalo don't really play like Des Moines anyway. id like to mention i do have Worcester and mino so i'm used to island and radar and glass ships

also i'm at Pensacola now and would probably free XP most of the remaining ships to get to des moines as i have little interest in playing New Orleans, Baltimore or buffalo(most likley free xp half way ish)

so the bottom line question here is... is the Salem a good enough substitute for the Des Moines to justify the price on Coal and skipping the line? 

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,800 posts
14,731 battles

Salem now, DM later ................................

If you rank to 15th, you get that -5% extra with the -5% Military monthly that -10%, -3% from clan base, and + the camo bonus = money printing machine, 4th from the MO

and the bonus is Salem is training up the capt for DM later

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
1,300 posts
13,898 battles

I have Salem and DesMoines. I think they are different experiences. I do feel that Salem was worth the coal. If they made it so Coal could convert to steel, I might have wanted Stalingrad, but I do love my Salem. 

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,779 battles

I have the DesMoines and really like playing so I don't see the need for a Clone ship that has a weaker radar but a British Super heal. 

Also there are a lot of interesting ships in the wind so holding off for something different than can be found in the tech tree would be my call. 

Buy hey while you're hear have you thought about getting the Worcester? That ship is A lot of fun. 

:cap_cool:

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,007 posts
11,078 battles

I am waiting to see what they do with all the ships that are in ST first before I look at getting the Salem.

[CUTE]
2,007 posts
11,078 battles
14 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I have the DesMoines and really like playing so I don't see the need for a Clone ship that has a weaker radar but a British Super heal. 

Also there are a lot of interesting ships in the wind so holding off for something different than can be found in the tech tree would be my call. 

Buy hey while you're hear have you thought about getting the Worcester? That ship is A lot of fun. 

:cap_cool:

the Salem is more for Open water with the RN heal but DM isnt the best open water ship... if only the Salem had the DM legendary mod.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
1,300 posts
13,898 battles

BTW, I don't run radar on Salem. but rather the 5km hydro. It is much more useful in close. DDs can't escape. Even caught a mino or two with that one. 

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
3,909 posts
18,832 battles

Why rush to buy when other ships ostensibly different from tech tree ships are around the corner and most likely will be worth coal? Wait and see rather than buy and regret.

• Cool 1

[HDR]
Beta Testers
311 posts
7,217 battles

To hijack the thread just a bit . Economically speaking there isnt going to be a ship released in aresenal that makes more money than the musashi is there? From what I gather much more would be Mighty Mo territory right? I need money , now lol

[GWG]
Members
6,719 posts
12,788 battles

With Salem, you can also be grinding your 19 point cruiser captain on the Light Cruiser line.

Des Moines is a dedicated captain...  can move around without penalty.

All Tier 10s are Elite anyway -- nowhere to go.  They just tie up captains.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
2,800 posts
14,731 battles
22 minutes ago, berree said:

I need money , now lol

Technically to answer this question, it came down to any tier ships that you comfortably playing will get some credit income and provide a stepping stone to play at t9/t10

[HDR]
Beta Testers
311 posts
7,217 battles
13 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Technically to answer this question, it came down to any tier ships that you comfortably playing will get some credit income and provide a stepping stone to play at t9/t10

Looking for a little more Gorden Gecko /Wolf of Wall  Street response than a obi-wan - Splinter one. I say that >>>>>>jokingly<<<<< and not rudely . I'm pretty sure credit wise in the arsenal the Musashi is the upper limit because from what I have seen after that it gets into Missouri territory and the devs apparently dont want that. I would just like someone that been around a while to confirm. I need to cut the gap some on the difference in exp vs credit earned some. its to much for my liking.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,771 posts
22,131 battles

I bought the Salem, not really interested in the grind to tech tree tier 10 ships. The ship actually surprised me, I really enjoy it. She really makes credits even in co-op so that was a huge consideration for me since I play PvE mostly. I wanted a tier 10 ship to get the annual rewards of owning one and Salem also came with a port slot which was really nice. I am very happy with spending all that coal on her as I wasn't interested in the tier 9 premiums that are being discussed as the next coal ship so it was kind of a no brainer for me. Another nice thing is she comes with camo, tier 10 tech tree camo is so expensive. I really think Salem is a good deal. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[TSG4B]
2,800 posts
14,731 battles
6 hours ago, berree said:

Looking for a little more Gorden Gecko /Wolf of Wall  Street response

IN theory that the MU is 2nd to the credit then the 1st place the MO - however the game in high tier, t9/t10 take full 20 mins per game (give or take), and that player need to do minimum to exceptional well; to get the income credit.

keep in mind that perm camo that came with the MU only give -20% cost to battle service. -5% from the Military flag, -5% from rank 15 flag, -10% from clan base = -40% to cost of service

Salem:

She given a -50% cost to battle service from the perm camo, if player had the Military flag, that -5%, if the player play rank and get to rank 15, that another flag for -5%, get to rank 10, another flag for -10%. Assuming that player had done the quest so the USN dd/cruiser/bb/cv can equip 2 flags, similar to the IJN quest. If the player also in a clan who got their base build to the max with another -10% to service. That is  -70% to the cost.

Since Salem is also high tier, it probably would take full 20 mins per game (give or take)

+ other credit signals

Comparing the above to

Another low tier from t5 to t8 credit earning (you can search for LWM post about credit earning)

You earn more credit since the battle shorter, it does not cost a fortune to play in high tier from t8 and up. You get more percentage conversion from dmg to credit since it low tier. You are more familiar and comfortable playing thus you get more dmg.

Assuming with Premium time account.

So, to play a high tier game, player best to play low tier and stock up credit. Then they can play a few battles in high tier. If the player have the MU and the Salem (alternatively earned the MO), then play them from aside. If the player do not have the MO, but have MU and Salem, then it better playing Salem (now it also depend on the player's skills and prefer ship/play style, some will do better in the MU, some do better in the Salem) or which ever ship they are capable of getting/obtaining.

It also came down to player base skills and the ships available at their port

regards,

• Cool 1

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
10 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

I am waiting to see what they do with all the ships that are in ST first before I look at getting the Salem.

What ships are those, brohan?

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
11 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Salem now, DM later ................................

If you rank to 15th, you get that -5% extra with the -5% Military monthly that -10%, -3% from clan base, and + the camo bonus = money printing machine, 4th from the MO

and the bonus is Salem is training up the capt for DM later

Economy considerations you brought up would be identical for any T10 with perma camo on.  Salem is only special because you don’t have to drop doubloons to get it, but the trade off is all that coal that theoretically has value exceeding the perma camo investment.

[CUTE]
2,007 posts
11,078 battles
2 hours ago, Pytheas said:

What ships are those, brohan?

ships like the Alaska, etc.

[EPOCH]
Members
43 posts
6,003 battles
On 9/8/2018 at 12:47 AM, Shigure_DD said:

the Salem is more for Open water with the RN heal but DM isnt the best open water ship... if only the Salem had the DM legendary mod.

good point about the legendary mod, i wonder if Salem will get one that would make a HUGE difference

Edited by Praos

[EPOCH]
Members
43 posts
6,003 battles

very good points have been made thank you all, for the record i do have the might MO as far as credit income goes and i love that ship its def one of my top fav ships. im just worried that coal will be hard to come by and having as much as i do its a hard choice. the coal income has slowed in the last few weeks and idk if it will pick up enough. coal is so new and not many if no one knows what the future will prove to be the best choice regarding coal purchases.

i hope WG will be more transparent in what ships will be available for coal in the future to make tough decisions like this easier, i know they wanna make money but coal has nothing to do with deep pockets.

please keep replying to this thread these opinions are very helpful

i think ill wait to the last sec. to make a decision before i get Salem and hopefully they announce its removal be for its to late for me to chose

[KEGEL]
Members
240 posts
10,572 battles

In a similar situation as you Praos, almost enough coal to purchase the Salem.

Personally I'm going to wait as I already have the DM with perma-camo.

I'm more interested in picking up the French T10 Bourgogne BB or Brennus CA. This is assuming they're available for coal.

The Alaska & Jean Bart is likely to be FXP.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,236 posts
22,261 battles

There are a lot of "Premium" IX-X ships in the works.

IX French BB Jean Beart, a "Super Richelieu"

X French BB Bourgogne, a "Super Pre-Nerf Alsace"

IX American Large "Cruiser" Alaska

"Premium" ships of IX & X have traditionally not been Premium Shop ships, they're FreeXP or now Arsenal Coal / Steel ships.  At this point none of us in the playerbase know where these 3 will wind up in terms of availability  However, we've never had a Tier X FreeXP ship before.  We do have a history of FreeXP, Coal, and even Steel ships in Tier IX.

In other words... Wait it out if any of these interest you.  Salem isn't leaving anytime soon from what we know.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1