You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Nighteyez

Midway captain skills

4 comments in this topic

[AK]
Members
98 posts
8,044 battles

Hello fellow captains.

I just recently acquired the USS Midway, and put a 19pt captain from my Gearing in her, (Yes, I redistributed the captain's points). However, I was just wonder what a typical Midway captain would have?

Mine is currently set up with:

1) Aircraft Servicing Expert, and Dog fighting Expert.

2) Torpedo Acceleration

3) Torpedo Armament Expertise

4) Air Supremacy, Advanced Fire Training and Concealment.

I know the AFT is primarily for BB's and CA/CL's who want to setup AA, but it was either that, or get Superintendent, and Priority target. None of the three really make much sense in a carrier IMHO, except the AFT does bring her AA capabilities to 97. I did think about going with Superintendent as it would give me a second Defensive Fire consumable, but how often would I need that? I have played both IJN and US CV's up to Midway and Taiho respectively, however, with the exception of the lower/mid tier CV's all of it has been in Co-Op battles. I did grind up to Essex before free XP'ing to the Midway, and I ground up to the Taiho and am going to free XP to the Hakuryu if I decide to get it. I doubt it though as I learned from the 7 squadrons of the Taiho, that I have reached my limit in ability to control them, so buying a ship with 8 would mean it will sit in the port doing nothing. Like a collector though, just having both tier 10 CV's would be enjoyment enough. However, my goal ever since I started this game (August 2017) was to eventually get the Midway as my dad was on it way back in the early 50's when it still had the single flight deck. I am not a good CV player by any stretch of the imagination, (which is why I stopped playing them in randoms after T7) but I would not consider myself a potato. Mediocre maybe? In any case, I want to improve my Midway game play as our clan seems to have a serious shortage of high tier CV pilots (three total I am told, and one of them doesn't play WoWs anymore, preferring Over watch). I know that means jumping back into randoms again with my CV's (I also have Kaga, Saipan, and Enterprise to practice with) but would like to get a captain skilled properly so the only hindrance would be my inability/ability to play her better.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,628 posts
8,485 battles

Really as long as you have DFE (cancels out the DPS nerf from them down tiering fighters, so it's an ammo buff, with a further buff from the skill), and AS because extra fighter is a massive DPS increase and mandatory skill. The rest is really player preference though CE is a good choice. Extra DF AA charge? Just run premium version. Most (keyword, most) T10 CV players aren't dumb enough to try a CV snipe. As at least in the current game play, especially tier 8+, it's more likely to just cost you planes and annoy the other player. Also just run Premium DCP as well, by itself it is faster than the penalty for Emergency Takeoff, add the flag you can take yet another couple seconds off. Though honestly, at this point with gameplay if your being set on fire from a non CV snipe - odds are you;re already screwed. After the dumb hanger nerf, your a bit more likely to run out of planes in longer battles, and have to watch out that Hak now has 3,3,2 if I recall correctly, meaning they can employ the strafe/lock/strafe that has been hampering tiers 7, 8 and on occasion 9. 

Personally my Midway has ASE, Torp Accel, ERG (hold over from lower tiers, haven't reset), BFT, AFT, AS. with my next 3 points being high alert and DFE unless this idiotic rework goes through. Only reason I went BFT/AFT is the fact I DO  run into the "lol I'mma snipe cause no one expect it" - and promptly make them regret it when they lose about 1/3 of their total planes just to AA. 

[AK]
Members
98 posts
8,044 battles

Thank you for your input. I hadn't noticed the hanger nerf until after I got her, and was like wth! And even in Co-Op, you can run out of planes if the battle goes long enough. Already happened once. Which is when I noticed the smaller hanger size. with all the nerfs on the Midway, I am surprised anyone wins a battle with her. Of course I have seen Unicum Midway videos on YouTube where they literally own the battle, so it is still possible. I don't have that skill level and probably never will especially considering the upcoming CV nerf, I mean rework.

[STW-M]
Members
2,329 posts
6,235 battles
On 9/7/2018 at 7:06 PM, Nighteyez said:

I know the AFT is primarily for BB's and CA/CL's who want to setup AA, but it was either that, or get Superintendent, and Priority target. None of the three really make much sense in a carrier IMHO, except the AFT does bring her AA capabilities to 97.

Truthfully, after getting ASE, TA, TAE, AS, DFE, and CE, the last four points are up to you.

Most people I see take AFT, but there are always a variety of other builds, some better than others (I'm personally considering getting ERG and AR, as I consider speccing AA on CVs a waste most of the time; I'm considering MAA on the IJN CVs, however).

I doubt it though as I learned from the 7 squadrons of the Taiho, that I have reached my limit in ability to control them, so buying a ship with 8 would mean it will sit in the port doing nothing.

You don't have to control 7 squadrons individually. What I (and a lot of other CV players) do is group up planes into each type. With Taiho, for instance, I link up the 3 torpedo bomber squadrons together and the 2 dive bomber squadrons in another group while leaving the fighters separate, thus creating a much more manageable arrangement of 4 groups.

In any case, I want to improve my Midway game play as our clan seems to have a serious shortage of high tier CV pilots

Same here, although with the CV rework, we may see the number of expert CV players fall drastically.

I know that means jumping back into randoms again with my CV's (I also have Kaga, Saipan, and Enterprise to practice with) but would like to get a captain skilled properly so the only hindrance would be my inability/ability to play her better.

I advise you to start from tier 6 with the tech tree CVs and work your way up in randoms. Even if you know the basic commands like manual drops and strafing, there's still a lot more to be learned in PvP against other CV players and surface ships, especially if you're not sailing an OP CV. Fighting Saipans and Kagas in Hiryu, for instance, gave me a lot of good experience in this regard about how to properly strafe and mitigate exit-strafing.

If you're looking for youtubers, I can recommend Farazelleth and Femennenly, Fara for the more advanced tactics and Fem for the more basic tactics. Do remember that the rework is coming out, however, so a lot of that is going to go out the window at some point in the future.

Truthfully, people usually develop their own playstyles as they get more experienced, but there is always room for improvement.