You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dbw86

Wish I had Read and Learned the Hard Way

8 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
569 posts
8,483 battles

I have all nations, except Pan Asian, up to level 7 in CR & BB, with a number at T8, several T9, and 1 T10.   But, as I suspect many do, I jumped in an played the game.   At about T5 I started reading the Wiki site and discovered the brief description of each nations ships and how they play.   Had I know that when I started I would not have pursued at least one nation saving tons of money.   Wiki is a gold mine of information for planning and the best way to advance up lines is by solid planning.   I research not only the ship next in tier but those that follow and push the line that best fits my style of play.   Then I put on paper the total cost in XP  and Credits to research & purchase plus the cost of fully purchasing and mounting all the Up Grades and the follow-up cost for modules.   Then I know exactly how much Credits and XP I'll need to spend.   I also prioritize the order to purchase the modules per Wiki's article on that specific ship.   Finally, I list the numbers assigned to each system on every ship I am considering (Survival, Artillery, Torpedoes, etc., etc.).    All this combined on paper will usually clearly show the path I should next take.    As for learning about future ships, I read the Wiki descriptions of every ship and any written reviews I can find (Little White Mouse is the leading producer of in-depth written reviews on testing of ships) and even have printed all of them out and filed in binder tabbed by Nation, Class of Ship, and then in order of Tiers with Premium Ships filed in their tier.    By now the word "anal" is beginning to float in your mind and I probably am - to a degree.   But I like to have information before making a decision and this is my method.    

I have purchased Credits, Doubloons, even Economic Signal Flags, and some Premium Ships from the Premium Shop as well as Premium Membership.   I try to purchase permanent camouflage for each ship as it is a big assist in the grind, speeding it up for me.    When word on the USN Cruiser line split began to circulate I read everything I could find and focused exclusively on advancing up the old line so I would obtain a Buffalo for free and was successful.   Again reading and planning made it happen for me.    I consider myself a below average to an average player which made this even more critical to plan ahead.

So my advice to new players is read, learn, and plan before you sink credits, XP, and even doubloons into ships of nations only to discover later they were not the best choice to have made.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[VFW]
Members
1,370 posts
27,873 battles

You would easily be termed a gaming hobbyist.  No difference to any person who takes an interest, studies it, and then try to be as proficient as possible.

I consider myself in that category.   I do similar methods as you, with more emphasis on the current ship at hand.

Good luck with your gaming,

VR,

[GWG]
Members
6,720 posts
12,788 battles

But you had fun, and you love of the game.

That's all that matters.  Don't let the stat shamers take away the joy you have for the game.

Indeed, you've jumped up a level - but don't let this game become a tedious job. 

Learn - yes.  But don't forget to sail up the middle on Two Brothers every now and then.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

This sort of reminds me of back in the day when I had a rolodex with ship stats on it for whoever I'm squaring off against(gun range, spotting, torp range etc) that now thankfully is contained in a mod and all you have to do is have a target selected and on the screen it is.

[SQUAD]
Members
2,136 posts
12,257 battles

Many games will let you jump in and play, and there you are, having a great time...

Warships is like this, and then it is not...  It is simple to play and dastardly difficult to master...

I made a Elo's World - Warships 101 video for the newest of players... most anyone reading this would be bored to tears by it.. or maybe slightly entertained in places... its long but there is a lot to the WoWS system.. if you know of very new folks you could point them at the video and maybe their entry into the game would be a bit easier...

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

But you had fun, and you love of the game.

That's all that matters.  Don't let the stat shamers take away the joy you have for the game.

Indeed, you've jumped up a level - but don't let this game become a tedious job. 

Learn - yes.  But don't forget to sail up the middle on Two Brothers every now and then.

Well said +1000

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

Good games allow new players to jump right in and at least do something productive but then also allow more advanced players to study, practice, get better, and excel. Much of the fun of a computer game is linked to discovery. Most like to discover things "hands on," some like to discover things by reading and thinking about them first. It's all good as long as everyone is having fun.

A little bit of theory can go a long way though. I remember back when I was an undergrad that there was a local small lake near the college where you could rent sailboats. A bunch of us went out and spent a day accomplishing little but continually swamping our craft and splashing around, though we did have a lot of fun. The next day everyone wanted to go out again but I said that I was going to the library instead, where I read a book about sailing. The next weekend I was leaps and bounds more competent than the rest of my friends. This was because I knew a few fundamental basics about wind and water and how to get a sailboat to do what I wanted it to do, whereas my friends had learned almost nothing at all in their extra day of splashing around.   

Edited by Snargfargle