Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Graf Spee skills?

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,018
Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles

Graf Spee Captain skills?  Got 2 I can pick from as of today.  Line 2......Jack of All Trades or Adrenaline Rush. Which?  Advise pls.  Tks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242
[POP]
Members
886 posts
13,872 battles

I would go AR generally. JoAT or possibly  EM if you are pushing up with the destroyers like a wild man. Is this a dedicated captain?

Edited by Alabamastan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,018
Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles
6 minutes ago, Alabamastan said:

I would go AR generally. JoAT or possibly  EM if you are pushing up with the destroyers like a wild man. Is this a dedicated captain?

Dedicated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242
[POP]
Members
886 posts
13,872 battles

    Then just fill in for your preferred play style. I have run that ship with my Z-52 captains, my Hindy captain, and my fire prevention GK captain. The ship really doesn't need many captain skills for viability, its pretty flexible. AR will pay off as you take damage for all your offensive armaments, JoAT is great for people who like to escort and use either DFAA or Hydro. I personally feel like AR is a better pick. After that its a matter of how much airplanes, fire, or destroyers bother you IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
492
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,753 posts
4,553 battles
39 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Graf Spee Captain skills?  Got 2 I can pick from as of today.  Line 2......Jack of All Trades or Adrenaline Rush. Which?  Advise pls.  Tks!

Graf Spee has a heal, and a small number of high caliber guns for main battery.  AR is the clear choice between those two skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,161 posts
8,779 battles
26 minutes ago, Alabamastan said:

I would go AR generally. JoAT or possibly  EM if you are pushing up with the destroyers like a wild man. Is this a dedicated captain?

At 28kts graf spee isn't even hanging with Akizuki.

Personally, EM is more useful since you only have two turrets at opposite ends of the ship, if you have to jibe or tack, that 20 second reload becomes an aggravating thing.

For tier three, super attendant is key. Graf Spee has allot of consumables [repair] most important of the three. With your 20s reload, you jave fewer opportunities to put pressure on the enemy.

Tier 4 should be AFT for AA and secondaries or CE [concealment expert] for survivability.

 

Graf Spee is anfantastic ship when prepaired appropriately.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,653
[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles
2 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Graf Spee has a heal, and a small number of high caliber guns for main battery.  AR is the clear choice between those two skills.

Plus AR helps the Torpedo Reload as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
335
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,687 posts
10,551 battles

Graf Spee is a great training ship for captains because as long as it's not a CV only skill, she can probably make use of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,759
[-K-]
Members
5,795 posts
9,827 battles

If I had a dedicated 19 point captain on Graf Spee, this is how I would probably set him up:

 

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,018
Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

If I had a dedicated 19 point captain on Graf Spee, this is how I would probably set him up:

 

Capture.JPG

Nice.  Tks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242
[POP]
Members
886 posts
13,872 battles
22 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

At 28kts graf spee isn't even hanging with Akizuki.

Personally, EM is more useful since you only have two turrets at opposite ends of the ship, if you have to jibe or tack, that 20 second reload becomes an aggravating thing.

For tier three, super attendant is key. Graf Spee has allot of consumables [repair] most important of the three. With your 20s reload, you jave fewer opportunities to put pressure on the enemy.

Tier 4 should be AFT for AA and secondaries or CE [concealment expert] for survivability.

 

Graf Spee is anfantastic ship when prepaired appropriately.

    My point was simply to ascertain the position he plays in regularly. You don't have to have destroyer speed to play near a cap at that tier and find yourself confronted by destroyers. I was simply illustrating that different play styles may want or value different captain skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
492
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,753 posts
4,553 battles
19 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If I had a dedicated 19 point captain on Graf Spee, this is how I would probably set him up:

 

Capture.JPG

I'd tweak this a bit. 

First, I'd lose EL on the first row.  Never saw a point in that skill.  Shoot the ammo you have loaded now - damage now could mean a dead ship before it has a chance to do something like fire torpedoes at you.  It's just more efficient.  You can shoot the proper ammo next salvo.  Doing that lets you switch this to a 1-2-2-2 build.

I'd personally take PM over PT, but that's a judgement call.  PM leans into the survivability aspects of the build, later.

Row two: EM & AR.  Too right.

Row three: Yeah, I'll go with Basics of Survivability.  Keep SI.  Lose DE.

Row four: Add FP to complete the survivability buffs, keep CE.

(Summary: PM, EM, AR, BoS, SI, FP, CE)

I don't think I have a dedicated captain, myself.  I just trained my DE CA captain from Yorck up to Hipper in Graf Spee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
899
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,512 posts
13,739 battles

@dmckay do you have that special German captain, Franz von Jutland? He has the JoaT and Vigilance, (I think). I use him on Graf occasionally. The hydro and Vigilance combine to keep you safe from torps. JoaT helps recover repair party faster enabling survivability. 

I guess it depends on want to do with Graf Speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
607
[KAG]
Members
1,709 posts
11,046 battles

Remember, Graf Spee was classified as a "pocket battleship" during WW2. It's more battleship than cruiser so my captain skills lean towards BB captains. 

This is what I did (in order)

1. PM
2. EM (those big gun turrets are slow)
3. Super  
4. CE (important because you have Repair Party consumable and you need to go stealth when repairing)
5. BAS - because a small BB is still a BB and needs Survivability build
6. AR  - This is good to have but BAS is more important to put on first in my opinion
7. For last 4 points either FP or AFT. I personally don't find fires to be much of a problem with Spee so I took AFT. 

Note: DE and EL are totally useless on this ship. Don't waste points on them. The above setup along with Equipment MAM1, DCSM, ASM, and has served me well . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,018
Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles
2 hours ago, Khafni said:

@dmckay do you have that special German captain, Franz von Jutland? He has the JoaT and Vigilance, (I think). I use him on Graf occasionally. The hydro and Vigilance combine to keep you safe from torps. JoaT helps recover repair party faster enabling survivability. 

I guess it depends on want to do with Graf Speed.

No I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[STW]
Members
60 posts
13,953 battles
On 9/7/2018 at 10:27 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

For Dedicated Graf Spee Captain I went with PT, PM, EM, AR, LS, SI, CE, and AFT.

EM is low-value, IMO.  Reduces turret rotation from 25s to 22.8--less than 10%.  Put the two points on other skills, like DC (better spotting and AA) and EL (easy switching of shell types).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[STW]
Members
60 posts
13,953 battles
On 9/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, STINKWEED_ said:

Remember, Graf Spee was classified as a "pocket battleship" during WW2. It's more battleship than cruiser so my captain skills lean towards BB captains. 

This is what I did (in order)

1. PM
2. EM (those big gun turrets are slow)
3. Super  
4. CE (important because you have Repair Party consumable and you need to go stealth when repairing)
5. BAS - because a small BB is still a BB and needs Survivability build
6. AR  - This is good to have but BAS is more important to put on first in my opinion
7. For last 4 points either FP or AFT. I personally don't find fires to be much of a problem with Spee so I took AFT. 

Note: DE and EL are totally useless on this ship. Don't waste points on them. The above setup along with Equipment MAM1, DCSM, ASM, and has served me well . 

The turrets are slow?  25s/180 degrees is faster than many light cruisers, and faster than all heavy cruisers in the game other than the Hipper/Eugen, Roon, and Hindenburg.  Adding EM reduces rotation from 25s to 22.8s--a modest gain at best.  Better to put those two points on other skills like DC (better AA and spotting) and EL (easier switching of shell types).  Plus, as a cruiser, PT is pretty critical to know how many are targeting you, especially if they are not visible to you.  I would take PT over PM.

Order of skills as I would take them (assuming a dedicated commander):  PT, AR, SI, CE, DC.  After that, some combination of BFT, AFT, LS, JoAT, EL, depending on what you like in your build.  Since I take hydro on my KM cruisers, I like an AA build, so I often take BFT and AFT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
607
[KAG]
Members
1,709 posts
11,046 battles
9 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

The turrets are slow?  25s/180 degrees is faster than many light cruisers, and faster than all heavy cruisers in the game other than the Hipper/Eugen, Roon, and Hindenburg.  Adding EM reduces rotation from 25s to 22.8s--a modest gain at best.  Better to put those two points on other skills like DC (better AA and spotting) and EL (easier switching of shell types).  Plus, as a cruiser, PT is pretty critical to know how many are targeting you, especially if they are not visible to you.  I would take PT over PM.

Order of skills as I would take them (assuming a dedicated commander):  PT, AR, SI, CE, DC.  After that, some combination of BFT, AFT, LS, JoAT, EL, depending on what you like in your build.  Since I take hydro on my KM cruisers, I like an AA build, so I often take BFT and AFT.

The above combo that I listed have worked out extremely well for me and my play style. Perhaps your play style requires different skills. This is all personal. 25s to 22.8s--a modest gain but enough to make a difference so I recommend people use it.

I think what you are neglecting is that Spee is not a cruiser or a heavy cruiser. It might be in this game but in reality it was a "pocket battleship" and should be played as a battleship not a cruiser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I think what you are neglecting is that Spee is not a cruiser or a heavy cruiser. It might be in this game but in reality it was a "pocket battleship" and should be played as a battleship not a cruiser. 

The Admiral Graf Spee was a Deutschland-class "Panzerschiff" (armored ship) a form of heavily armed cruiser, nicknamed a "pocket battleship" by the British.

Here is what I use, it was recommended by LWM, it works good for me. 

HSFAdmiralGrafSpeeCaptain.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[STW]
Members
60 posts
13,953 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

The above combo that I listed have worked out extremely well for me and my play style. Perhaps your play style requires different skills. This is all personal. 25s to 22.8s--a modest gain but enough to make a difference so I recommend people use it.

I think what you are neglecting is that Spee is not a cruiser or a heavy cruiser. It might be in this game but in reality it was a "pocket battleship" and should be played as a battleship not a cruiser. 

It is a heavy cruiser, and still has among the fastest heavy cruiser turrets in the game, faster than even many light cruisers.  While IRL it was described as a "pocket battleship", in game, it cannot be played precisely as a battleship.  While tankier than most (all?) cruisers at tier VI, it is still easily punished by AP shells of most calibers when giving broadside.  It's important to apply good cruiser tactics in game.

Yes, it's a matter of preference.  However, I can tell you that I dropped EM from all cruisers I had with sub-30s turret rotation (mid-2017), and my damage average did not decline.  I rarely see a situation where getting that extra second or two makes a critical difference, whereas DC, EL, AR, etc. provided consistent benefit with every battle.

EDIT:  A key indicator to me whether any ship (not just a cruiser) may need EM is whether the guns can keep up with turning the ship.  Most battleships as well as IJN cruisers cannot do this and so EM is basically mandatory.  Even if a ship's turrets cannot keep up (e.g., KM DDs up through tier VIII), I may find the value of EM isn't enough to warrant the two points.

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
Updated comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×