You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joker6787

My 1st Tier 10-Montana

65 comments in this topic

[-DICE]
Members
76 posts

Finally got my first tier 10-Montana.  The long grind is finally over although I really enjoyed all ships in the USA line except New York and Colorado.  Next working on Republic about 140k away, plus totally broke credit wise as also just grinded out the Fiji. Had some awesome games in the Leander and I am totally hyped for the Fiji.  Let me know what everyone thinks about Montana and any tips on using it are greatly appreciated.  Also any tips on Fiji?

montana 1st tier 10.jpg

Edited by Joker6787
  • Cool 10

[WOLF5]
Members
3,579 posts
3,808 battles

Nice, Monty is my first T10 too, though I'm close to DM now. Play it like an Iowa with more guns, but remember you can't quite disappear like you can with the IA. I see you got the Perma camo, which will help you credits wise, you really have to potato to lose money, especially on a premium account.

Enjoy that 12 gun broadside:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,402 battles

Montana is a fun ship with a massive broadside.

If you did well with NC/Iowa, you should do well in Montana. Just remember to angle well against enemy BBs, your ships is now slower then what Iowa was, and does not turn as well.

• Cool 1

[-DICE]
Members
76 posts
8 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Nice, Monty is my first T10 too, though I'm close to DM now. Play it like an Iowa with more guns, but remember you can't quite disappear like you can with the IA. I see you got the Perma camo, which will help you credits wise, you really have to potato to lose money, especially on a premium account.

Enjoy that 12 gun broadside:Smile_glasses:

Awesome man.  Yup I decided to immediately buy the perma camo as I am in need of credits and want to run the ship a lot.  Also with tier 10 economy all my clan buddies told me that it is pretty much a must.  Got dubs saved up already for the republic camo as well.  The 12 gun broadside is very juicy, in ranked I citadeled another Monty for like 48k one salvo from 15k I was stunned.  How much is the armor better than Iowa?

[PVE]
Members
11,264 posts
21,689 battles
1 hour ago, Joker6787 said:

Finally got my first tier 10-Montana.  The long grind is finally over although I really enjoyed all ships in the USA line except New York and Colorado.  Next working on Republic about 140k away, plus totally broke credit wise as also just grinded out the Fiji. Had some awesome games in the Leander and I am totally hyped for the Fiji.  Let me know what everyone thinks about Montana and any tips on using it are greatly appreciated.  Also any tips on Fiji?

montana 1st tier 10.jpg

Congrat's. Montana was my 1st T10 as well.

• Cool 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles

Montana is the one T10 BB I don't have...  It must be because I own Arizona, Alabama, and Missouri.  I never had the proper motivation to grind up the USA battleship tree...  I do own Yamato, GK, Conqueror, Republique, and Moskva (in the absence of the proper VMF BB tree).

[-DICE]
Members
76 posts
6 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Montana is the one T10 BB I don't have...  It must be because I own Arizona, Alabama, and Missouri.  I never had the proper motivation to grind up the USA battleship tree...  I do own Yamato, GK, Conqueror, Republique, and Moskva (in the absence of the proper VMF BB tree).

Very cool.  I am currently at Bismarck, Amagi, Alsace and...Iron Duke (he spam not my thing on bbs so the RN tree just started).  However, I do enjoy my Musashi for some smashing and credit printing.  Also got the Bama-Great ship.  Really dreading the FDG grind and Izumo (low priority as-Musashi).

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,402 battles
13 minutes ago, Joker6787 said:

Awesome man.  Yup I decided to immediately buy the perma camo as I am in need of credits and want to run the ship a lot.  Also with tier 10 economy all my clan buddies told me that it is pretty much a must.  Got dubs saved up already for the republic camo as well.  The 12 gun broadside is very juicy, in ranked I citadeled another Monty for like 48k one salvo from 15k I was stunned.  How much is the armor better than Iowa?

Armor is quite similar, including placement of the citadel. Essentially a slower, less maneuverable Iowa with an extra 16in turret.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,537 posts
10,372 battles

I don't have the Montana, but I have played with and against plenty of them enough to know they are a good ship.  However, they aren't invincible.  So, make sure you don't overextend, because they are a bit slower and can get you in trouble if you try to turn to run from other T10 BBs or CAs.

8 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I have the same 3 USN ships plus the Texas and really haven't been motivated to grind up the line.  I have the Yamato, Republique, and have the GK unlocked (too poor to buy it), as well as 3 T10 cruisers, and 3 T10 DDs.  I do want to grind up to get the Montana some day, but ship lines keep coming and there just isn't enough time in the day.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,537 posts
10,372 battles
Just now, Joker6787 said:

Exactly many lines and anything over tier 7 is very expensive in silver.  Although a good credit printer helps.

Yeah.  I have to dust off the Missouri every so often when credits get tight.  Doesn't take too many games to top up the bank with that ship.

[AK-47]
Members
274 posts
7,075 battles
6 minutes ago, Joker6787 said:

I use Musashi, its no Mo Money but still prints as mad!

musashi victory.jpg

musashi credit2.jpg

Just got Yammy as my first tier 10 BB, grinding towards Moskva now, gonna save some free exp or coal for Musashi. Wondering when WG gonna give us another discount on free exp conversion.

Edited by Tom_Lin

[NET]
Beta Testers
530 posts
5,269 battles

my first tier 10 too and a pretty dam good all around BB. i since ground out the conq, repub, and yammy. still think the monty is the best of the bunch.

[PVE]
Members
11,264 posts
21,689 battles
39 minutes ago, Joker6787 said:

Nice to hear Admiral.  Love the dog, he looks so professional.  Whats your favorite tier 10bb btw?

Montana with Republique a close second. I have flip flopped around on that a bit in the past but truthfully Montana is it. I have slightly better avg stats in Republique but it is in far fewer games plus with Montana being my 1st T10 I had some growing pains in it that drag stats down. Montana high game/stats are better.  Both are great but have to give the ultimate nod to Montana. I would probably rate them...

1. Montana
  2. Republique
  3. Yamato
  4. GK
  5. Conqueror

It's games like this one that make me really love Montana. It is a tough old gal and can carry you through a lot if you do your part. It has become my break out of a funk old reliable go to ship these days too...

[-DICE]
Members
76 posts
10 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

Just got Yammy as my first tier 10 BB, grinding towards Moskva now, gonna save some free exp or coal for Musashi. Wondering when WG gonna give us another discount on free exp conversion.

I would do coal for Musashi and free xp Jean Bart when it comes out.  Personally I am not interested in Kron so that kinda narrows it down.  I can deal with paper ships but that one is too much.  They might as well put in a Kirov Missile cruiser lol

[GGWP]
Privateers
332 posts
7,116 battles

Nice, I used rentals for CB and was told unless I want to lead the clan during CB I shouldn’t be the B.B. right now it’s a race between credits and free xp to see if I get DM or buffalo first then I’ll continue my B.B. to montana

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Montana with Republique a close second. I have flip flopped around on that a bit in the past but truthfully Montana is it. I have slightly better avg stats in Republique but it is in far fewer games plus with Montana being my 1st T10 I had some growing pains in it that drag stats down. Montana high game/stats are better.  Both are great but have to give the ultimate nod to Montana. I would probably rate them...

1. Montana
  2. Republique
  3. Yamato
  4. GK
  5. Conqueror

It's games like this one that make me really love Montana. It is a tough old gal and can carry you through a lot if you do your part. It has become my break out of a funk old reliable go to ship these days too...

With all due respect this experience must be taken with one huge grain of salt, you have only personally taken these ships into coop games.  Things play out very differently vs T10 human opposition.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
11,264 posts
21,689 battles
17 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

With all due respect this experience must be taken with one huge grain of salt, you have only personally taken these ships into coop games.  Things play out very differently vs T10 human opposition.

With all due respect he asked me which MY favorite was and I answered. I made no comment about how they perform in PVP. Everyone knows I play Co-op and it is even in my signature. The game example in the video is Co-op as well. 

So your comment is uncalled for.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Boring 1

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
2 hours ago, Joker6787 said:

-snip

Congrats on your first T10.  

As for recommendations on how to play the Monty, it would be far easier to show you rather than tell you.  Seeing your stats are private, I can't give you any specific tips either.  As for a few general ones, you have the best vertical dispersion in the game.  The Montana's guns are lofty, much like the Iowa or NC, but your dispersion will be flat a vast majority of the time.  This translates to, if you aim at the waterline, you're going to hit the waterline.  Try to aim for the citadel, and you'll get some pretty good chunks with normal pens alone.  

You have good armor, and passable maneuverability.  The 50mm deck lets you eat far more HE than you think.  I run a fire prevention build on my Monty, and never have an issue with HE or fires.  You have extremely good armor when presented at a proper angle, and will bounce everything outside of Yamato shells.  

For the Fiji?  It is probably one of the more OP tech tree ships in the game.  You can pretty easily murder anything at T5-8, and you fair quite well against most T9's, if they don't have radar.  Just smoke up, don't stay stationary in your smoke, and daka everything you can see.  

[-DICE]
Members
76 posts
12 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

Congrats on your first T10.  

As for recommendations on how to play the Monty, it would be far easier to show you rather than tell you.  Seeing your stats are private, I can't give you any specific tips either.  As for a few general ones, you have the best vertical dispersion in the game.  The Montana's guns are lofty, much like the Iowa or NC, but your dispersion will be flat a vast majority of the time.  This translates to, if you aim at the waterline, you're going to hit the waterline.  Try to aim for the citadel, and you'll get some pretty good chunks with normal pens alone.  

You have good armor, and passable maneuverability.  The 50mm deck lets you eat far more HE than you think.  I run a fire prevention build on my Monty, and never have an issue with HE or fires.  You have extremely good armor when presented at a proper angle, and will bounce everything outside of Yamato shells.  

For the Fiji?  It is probably one of the more OP tech tree ships in the game.  You can pretty easily murder anything at T5-8, and you fair quite well against most T9's, if they don't have radar.  Just smoke up, don't stay stationary in your smoke, and daka everything you can see.  

Hey I just made my profile public I would say I am an average player.  I am totally horrible at dds tho.  Tiny bit better cruiser wise but I really like bbs most.  Just started playing I think 4 months ago.

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
25 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

...As for a few general ones, you have the best vertical dispersion in the game.  The Montana's guns are lofty, much like the Iowa or NC, but your dispersion will be flat a vast majority of the time.  This translates to, if you aim at the waterline, you're going to hit the waterline...  

Hello there, I noticed that my Republique is better at nailing things at range than every other BB I have, but I don't have the Montana.  Do you know how Montana ballistics/dispersion is in comparison to Republique guns?  Is it much better compared to Missouri?