Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Saint-Louis — French Tier IX cruiser.

11 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,346 posts
597 battles

Saint-Louis — French Tier IX cruiser.

A heavy cruiser project included in the last shipbuilding program during wartime. The ship was equal to ships of the preceding project but the absence of treaty restrictions allowed her to have a larger displacement and reinforced AA capabilities.
Saint-Louis_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of cruisers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles

On 10/7/2018 at 11:11 PM, n00bot said:

4 pinned threads on French Cruisers with zero content... Really?

I have noticed these pinned ship threads have low usage. Most posters want a more specific aspect of a ship discussed so these universal ship pinned threads will get fewer comments. People that want to ask about captain builds don't want to wade through a general discussion about how the ship compares to others or whether it needs a nerf/buff. Having these pinned threads as an organizational folders (like Discussions about Warships-Cruisers-French Cruisers-Saint Louis) might be more useful. You could then see at a glance all the discussions about the Saint Louis, even those that are old and buried far down in the list in the French Cruisers folder. Also, many of the "older" ships just don't have the levels of discussion they had when newly released. Much of the forum playerbase that is/was interested has played the ship, commented on the forums, and moved on to the new shiny toys WG puts out.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,430 battles

I can't really locate any real discussion on the St. Louis play experience, and I don't mean the stuff about be careful, she is delicate, etc etc. Mine is a huge credit sink, sobering.

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles

I found the ship decent, just no reason to keep playing her once I got the Henri. Henri just does everything (except concealment) better and they generally see the same opponents anyway. Have to be some videos out there on how to play it. Generally you want to use your speed and decent guns to stay a range and speed tank incoming rounds. This, unfortunately, will generally give you lower damage numbers thus lower credits. You can brawl with it but that is not its strong suit.

One problem finding current play discussion is most players have moved on to new and shiney ships.  Like me, few who have (or had) it, still play it and the French line was never as popular as the others. Only a few T9s are dragged out of port regularly (Fletcher is one) because they offer something different than their T10 follow on. New lines always get all that attention too. Except for facing Kronstadts, nothing much for SL has changed so the older videos should still be relevant.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,430 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

I found the ship decent, just no reason to keep playing her once I got the Henri. Henri just does everything (except concealment) better and they generally see the same opponents anyway. Have to be some videos out there on how to play it. Generally you want to use your speed and decent guns to stay a range and speed tank incoming rounds. This, unfortunately, will generally give you lower damage numbers thus lower credits. You can brawl with it but that is not its strong suit.

One problem finding current play discussion is most players have moved on to new and shiney ships.  Like me, few who have (or had) it, still play it and the French line was never as popular as the others. Only a few T9s are dragged out of port regularly (Fletcher is one) because they offer something different than their T10 follow on. New lines always get all that attention too. Except for facing Kronstadts, nothing much for SL has changed so the older videos should still be relevant.

So you like the Henri then I take it. I also play Fletcher some, and the Lightening. The Henri with IFHE or use AP mostly ? Captain skills you are using on Henri ? This is a St Louis thread though.,...…..

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

So you like the Henri then I take it. I also play Fletcher some, and the Lightening. The Henri with IFHE or use AP mostly ? Captain skills you are using on Henri ? This is a St Louis thread though.,...…..

Well, I have the Henri and it is my only T10 cruiser, so I don't have much to compare it to. The AP works pretty well vs broadside cruiser. Managed to cit a Yamato once. HE is pretty good also. Based on Clan wars where Henris are relatively rare, other choices may be better (ships with radar, better stealth, good torps) and I'm not a great CA player, but I do OK. Don't know if I would do better in a DesMoines or Zao. Some of that is personal playstyle.

I assume you didn't mean taking IFHE with the Henri. Actually thought about it as it would allow the HE to pen 50mm armor (take that Khab!!) but the costs are high (4pt skill) for the somewhat rare times when it would be useful. Captain skills are pretty standard, but I can't remember them offhand. I did play with trading the module for concealment with the ruddershift one but found I hated being spotted and targeted from orbit all the time. Speed tanking is only fun for a while and when it works. The Legendary mod for the ship sucks (give up way to much for the benefit) so never mounted it. Whole different topic to discuss why some Legendaries are no-brainers and others completely toxic.

Edited by Sabot_100

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,430 battles

I am going to get through it no matter what. Cost about 120K credits to play, sometimes I loose 80K credits in a game, sometimes more, never break even though.

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
On 12/15/2018 at 5:07 PM, Ericson38 said:

I am going to get through it no matter what. Cost about 120K credits to play, sometimes I loose 80K credits in a game, sometimes more, never break even though.

If ya gottem, make sure you use flags and cammos to defray some of the cost. SHOULD make a profit when you win and do average damage.

As an update. Just played Henri in clan and got 6 citadels in one salvo at a Zao at about 14K. Think that is a record (for me) with bigger guns and not point-blank range. The guns are plenty punch.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,133 posts
4,359 battles

I'm liking her so far, she's a great kiting ship and fire-starter. That said, I am obligated to post the following meme regarding Saint-Louis and Henri:

ConsumablesGuy.thumb.png.607d55215d8e3aba6a38291f17568ab0.png

Seriously, you get access to every consumable in-game save smoke, radar, and TRB. It's insane.

Sign in to follow this