You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Budyonny — Soviet Tier VI cruiser.

12 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,296 posts
1,296 battles

Budyonny — Soviet Tier VI cruiser.

A light cruiser built under Project 94. The ship was developed from the Kirov-class warships. Unlike her prototype, she was bigger in size and featured significantly enhanced protection. The ship's main guns were smaller in caliber but had a higher rate of fire.
%D0%91%D1%83%D0%B4%D1%91%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of cruisers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[QCM]
Members
94 posts
6,738 battles

My Budy is my favorite by far. Let me list the pros and cons. (My opinion only, ok?)

PROS:  Good armor

Good rate of fire

9km torps are awesome

Very good AA when you develop the Captains skills for it

Cons: A terrible lag when turning only a mother could love.

Piss poor acceleration

Float plane instead of fighter.  By the time your shells get there, your target is already in another state.

A floating gas can.  The first round of shells sets you on fire. (C'mon WG...at least talk to some real sailors about ship characteristics regarding this ok?)

Recommendations.  Get rid of the float plane and give us a fighter at minimum.

Improve the accel and turning responsiveness a little

All in all, I love this ship and play it almost all the time now.   Now that I have said good things about it, WG will probably nerf the crap out of it.

Yours in Warfare,

Rockchunker

[LEGIO]
Members
44 posts
6,101 battles

Good morning Rock Chucker. 

I was just looking at my Budy.. My torps only have a 4K range.    I wish I had a 9K range..  How did you get these?  

Cheers

JB

[QCM]
Members
94 posts
6,738 battles

Hi JB

I just noticed they were 4k.  I could have sworn they were 9km.  I wonder if WG nerfed the torps.  Anyone with info on this?  Maybe I'm getting senile

Rock

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,810 posts
14,740 battles
9 minutes ago, RockChunker said:

I wonder if WG nerfed the torps.  Anyone with info on this?  Maybe I'm getting senile

since the beginning, Russian cruiser get 4km torp range ...

The DM Donskoi get the 9km torp, and that it. Moskva do not have torp

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,533 posts
12,810 battles

They are self defense torps.  Unlike other cruiser torpedoes, these do not encourage you to do stupid things.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,837 posts
9,545 battles

The only ship I've kept around after leveling  up.

Useful in scenarios and gotta love that HE spam.

"My Buddy"

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,749 battles

Yea my torps have a 4km range, like the other Russian BB's. I can definately appreciate the increased rate of fire over the it's Tier V counterpart,

Personally, I prefer the recon plane over the fighter option. I have not found the fighter option to be as useful for me and my play style. 

I just got this ship this morning, I look forward to seeing what it can do.

Edit: (2 hours later) This thing is an absolute gas can just like Chunker said. I understand that you should never be broadside, etc, but nearly anything takes at least 30% of the ships HP away. Very frustrating

Edited by Rgtx1121
Additional Content

Members
3 posts
985 battles
On 10/5/2018 at 5:22 PM, crzyhawk said:

They are self defense torps.  Unlike other cruiser torpedoes, these do not encourage you to do stupid things.

self defense? no theyre useless outside of suicide range, no one is ever going to be that close to you.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
812 posts
3,890 battles
37 minutes ago, DontBringBananas said:

no one is ever going to be that close to you.

Sez you. If you're opportunistic you can find applications for those torps, but it's rare, and you shouldn't actively try to set them up. Budyonny torps are very situational but ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS when you do get to use them. I took a Gneisenau from 100% to 1% with a spread of five, once, and the only reason I didn't get the kill right after was because somebody else's shells found him first.

It's a good ship, but its overall effectiveness has waned a bit since La Gal got its reload booster.

--Helms

Members
224 posts
1,887 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 5:16 PM, thehelmsman said:

Sez you. If you're opportunistic you can find applications for those torps, but it's rare, and you shouldn't actively try to set them up. Budyonny torps are very situational but ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS when you do get to use them. 

--Helms

Agreed. :) For this to work, you need:

1. to be close to the enemy, where a Budy really shouldn't be;
  2. a nearby island; and
  3. a serious mistake by your opponent.

In almost 100 games I've only pulled it off twice. Both times an enemy ship approached me from the other side of a small island, and came right at me, barely skirting the island. That let me fire torps they could never see. HUGELY satisfying.

• Cool 1

Members
249 posts

I loved my Budyonny.  It was so much better than the Kirov.  I don’t play it anymore, since I moved my Captain to the Shchorrs once I unlocked that.  If I want to play T6, I’ll break out the Molotov these days.  I also prefer the spotter plane to the fighter.  Fighters do so little that I’ve never seen the value in them.