You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Moskva — Soviet Tier X cruiser.

24 comments in this topic

Community Department
3,296 posts
1,296 battles

Moskva — Soviet Tier X cruiser.

A ship designed and intended to destroy light enemy cruisers and fight against heavy cruisers (Project 66). Unlike her foreign counterparts, she boasted bigger dimensions and better armor protection. The cruiser's main battery surpassed foreign guns in maximum range and destructive power but had a lower rate of fire. 
%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0_wow
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of cruisers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,053 posts
10,009 battles

After the 50mm bow/stern armor buff, Moskva has become the most brain-dead ship for me.

All I do is stay angled and shoot at whatever is in sight.

• Cool 1

Members
51 posts
655 battles

You do have to remember that this a battleCRUISER and not a battleSHIP despite the similarity in size. You may have the firepower of a battleship, but you'll fold like a piece of paper in the hands of an origami master if you try going toe to toe against one. Battlecruisers were designed to be fast enough to chase down smaller ships while still being able to overwhelm them quickly with tremendous firepower. Armor was less important since smaller ships typically carried smaller guns with less penetrating power. In a battle where there are a lot of bigger guns capable of penetrating their relatively thin armor, they were intended to use their speed to get the heck out of there. This was the mistake of the Battle of Jutland, IMO. Too many big guns and not enough armor to effectively protect the ships participating since many of them were battlecruisers and not battleships leading to many sinkings and tremendous loss of life. 

• Cool 1

Members
109 posts
7,578 battles

RIP Moskva. 

You were fun to play some time ago. 

With legendary, dispersion doesn't even seem improved.

Now, your firing rate is horrible comparatively, and gunboat dd's can take you out if you're on lower health - idiotic. 

Recently, 59 HE hits ona Khaba only brought it to about 1/3 health. I was dumbfounded when I saw that in after results. So much for 220 power. Haragumo much the same.

Oh and don't show broadside. Hell, don't show anything, you will get citadeled or heavily damaged from any angle.

Why are my guns firing a few split seconds after I press trigger now?

So sad to see you go.

So much for Russian bias.

Edited by Battle_Cat_Cringer

[RO-I]
Members
108 posts
8,679 battles

I have been trying to get the legendary mod however it is killing me.  I got the Moskova early on and it seems to have been power creeped.  Slow and ineffective.  Fast firing DD's are its death.

I will be glad to be done with this ship  and not play it for awhile.

Members
3,679 posts
8,051 battles

I don't particularly enjoy her design. She's not necessarily a bad ship, but her immobility, lack of burst damage output, and her fragility forces her to a very cautious and safe playstyle. And that means you have very little say in if you can win a match or not, and your effectiveness for a large part depends on your teammates' performance.

If the Moskva can stay at a flank while attracting relatively little fire, she's a decent support vessel, a nasty bulwark putting out constant damage without much the enemy team can do to remove the Moskva effectively, and such usually results in a snowball through a flank. But If the team collapses around Moskva, when an enemy appears at an unexpected location, when her teammates can turn around, she cannot. When her teammates can stealth up, she cannot. Shells that her teammates can dodge, she cannot. Against pushing enemies that her teammates can punish, she cannot. Her HE is mediocre, and her AP doesn't fair well should the enemy pay attention.

I cannot say that I enjoy this ship, but should someone looking for such a support role, Moskva is not a bad ship.

Edited by The_first_harbinger
  • Cool 2

[NSC]
Members
155 posts

wish I had the ship when you guys are talking about how great she was, good times dont last very long AYE?

[SRMC]
Members
287 posts
11,322 battles
7 hours ago, Sirzin_6 said:

wish I had the ship when you guys are talking about how great she was, good times dont last very long AYE?

Of course its crap now gotta grind the Steel for the real t10 just like the French BBs 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,604 posts
13,726 battles

I recently got the Moskva, and while I admittedly don't have many games in it, I've been really impressed.

I hate most cruisers and I'm not a big fan of T10 either, but when I first played the Moskva (Aurora) in Space Battles it instantly felt really good for me... I played maybe 15 to 20 games and I was averaging 100k like easy. My take is that it's DM's stupider, less impactful, easier to play, and perhaps more well-rounded Russian cousin: I like the blend of firepower/armor/handling more than that of the DM. And it's not less impactful in the sense that you can't carry, but less imactful in the Henri sense where it takes a bit of time for you to be useful: I think you have to keep your distance early on, but if you can kill off some ships and push without much crossfire risk, it has a lot of carry potential as well.

Members
321 posts
17,733 battles

Moskva was a nice balanced ship before WG gave it the bias treatment.

Now all she is a braindead cruiser similar to Stalingrad. I guess the things that keep her from going to borderline OP is her bad concealment and IJN AP bombs.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
978 posts
8,696 battles

I can't believe I waited this long to get the Moskva. What a ridiculous ship. 

moskva.png

[KRAK]
Members
1,229 posts
14,582 battles

You do very well in her. I do about 25-35K damage per game in her. I noticed that your overall main battery hit rate is 41% while mine is 24%. Your overall secondary hit rate is over 20% and mine is 13%. My torp hit rate is 3% and yours is 9%. So I just don't make contact as well.

Members
238 posts

Moskva plays way more like a battlecruiser than the light cruiser line she came from.  I never clicked with her.  Her rate of fire is low, so you really need to make the shots you get count. Unfortunately, because of her concealment and reputation, people always seem to angle against you and surprising ships is difficult.  So getting those crazy broadside shots are rare.

Members
43 posts
119 battles

If you guys ever visit this page again, do remember to master the concealment expert skill. It does only bring it down to a barely manageable 16 km, but its better than the regular 17 km, and at 16 km is the start of the deadly sniping party for Moskva. At this range , she excels at destroying Heavy and Light cruisers and can put up a good fight against Battleships. Remember to keep destroyers away from Moskva, as she is not very tolerant of torpedo attacks prior to the new 0.9.5.0 update. Sure, she's got the highest no of hit points for any cruiser but that's to make sure you don't just die in one salvo. Battleship salvoes should'nt actually concern you, as long as you keep moving, their shell dispersion simply doesn't allow hits to land, and it'd be up to blind luck for you and the enemy's salvo to be in the right place at the right time to even land a hit, assuming they'd moved into your detectability range, that is. You should be more afraid of long range cruiser salvoes as they are much more accurate and therefore would require you to actively play around with your rudder to avoid hits. Her detectability range is well within her main battery range, but master the Concealment expert skill  as you can be more accurate at closer ranges. But don't get too close or, well, you know... My point is, play her properly and you'll have fun, peace out, captains.

FuriousDestroyer_999

Edited by FuriousDestroyer_999

Members
43 posts
119 battles
On 6/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, SeaGladius said:

Moskva plays way more like a battlecruiser than the light cruiser line she came from.  I never clicked with her.  Her rate of fire is low, so you really need to make the shots you get count. Unfortunately, because of her concealment and reputation, people always seem to angle against you and surprising ships is difficult.  So getting those crazy broadside shots are rare.

Funny, I played yesterday in my Moskva and I scored 5 crazy full broadside shots on a distracted Yamato. She went down by 1/4 HP. And i thought they'd simply bounce off. #foreverbroadsided

Members
238 posts

When you get those opportunities, she can be amazing. My personal damage record is in the Moskva - a whole bunch of cruisers decided to sail broadside to me, one after another.  In another game, I killed a Yamato with 7 citadels after he decided to Yolo me. But those are the exception, not the rule.

Members
43 posts
119 battles
9 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

When you get those opportunities, she can be amazing. My personal damage record is in the Moskva - a whole bunch of cruisers decided to sail broadside to me, one after another.  In another game, I killed a Yamato with 7 citadels after he decided to Yolo me. But those are the exception, not the rule.

One time I faced 3 DMs they were overconfident so i went YOLO on them by destroying one with my main battery, another with my secondary battery, and then the last one i rammed him, i survived. :D #DM SUX

• Cool 1

Members
43 posts
119 battles

Here's a review that i am doing on Moskva. The statistics are as of the 0.9.5.0 and 0.9.6.0 update June 2020.

Quick Summary: A superb long range Heavy Cruiser and decent support vessel, but easily deleted in 5 Battleship salvos. High detectability range is still well within main battery gun range and allows this ship to snipe at other vessels while remaining undetected.

Main Battery Turrets: 

- Caliber: 220mm (8 inches) 

-Range: 22km (13.75 miles)

You all are probably wondering, won't all enemies go for you first? Well, yes and no. They'll go after you first as the dimensions of the Soviet Heavy Cruiser make her the favorite prey of the enemy, and it should be taken into account that anyone that sees her can and will land a shot. And no because they will be afraid of your long range AP salvos. They can penetrate cruiser armor even at maximum range. So let your friendly G.Kurfursts and Yamatos brawl at short ranges, while your Moskva will take control of the long range combat. 

I'll continue next time, peace out captains.

FuriousDestroyer_999

Edited by FuriousDestroyer_999

Members
2,886 posts
5,541 battles
10 hours ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

Here's a review that i am doing on Moskva. The statistics are as of the 0.9.5.0 and 0.9.6.0 update June 2020.

Quick Summary: A superb long range Heavy Cruiser and decent support vessel, but easily deleted in 5 Battleship salvos. High detectability range is still well within main battery gun range and allows this ship to snipe at other vessels while remaining undetected.

Main Battery Turrets: 

- Caliber: 220mm (8 inches) 

-Range: 22km (13.75 miles)

You all are probably wondering, won't all enemies go for you first? Well, yes and no. They'll go after you first as the dimensions of the Soviet Heavy Cruiser make her the favorite prey of the enemy, and it should be taken into account that anyone that sees her can and will land a shot. And no because they will be afraid of your long range AP salvos. They can penetrate cruiser armor even at maximum range. So let your friendly G.Kurfursts and Yamatos brawl at short ranges, while your Moskva will take control of the long range combat. 

I'll continue next time, peace out captains.

FuriousDestroyer_999

Not sure what you're saying here. And Moskva's guns aren't 8" rifles, they're an oddball. 

[SMI-1]
Members
8 posts
44,446 battles

So now they have decided to nerf Moskva.  Why????  It is a subpar cruiser in even the most skilled hands and certainly not on a par with smolensk or stalingrad.

By my count it is sixth best Soviet cruiser and that is only because I do not count Khab as a cruiser. I have played 189 ships and Moskva is in my top ten ships that need a monster buff, not a nerf. I have heard the argument that they are not nerfing Moskva, only her legendary upgrade. Look at her stats, at any level, she needs a buff not a nerf.  I played this ship over 100 times to get the legendary upgrade and now they want to take that away and force me to choose a different upgrade.

All with no compensation. Usually when they take something that you had to strive to earn, they compensate you. Not this time.  

I do not understand the compelling need to nerf a subpar ship.