You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Leander — British Tier VI cruiser.

7 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,346 posts
597 battles

Leander — British Tier VI cruiser.

A new generation light cruiser designed to serve as a scout both within a squadron and independently. In contrast to her predecessors, the ship's main advantage was that her main guns were placed in gun turrets. The ship also had stronger AA defenses and better armor protection.
Leander_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of cruisers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[B_O_W]
Members
322 posts
6,078 battles

The Leander is my favorite Tier 6 cruiser.  If there is a hint of broadside by most ships you face, especially within 8km, you will get fantastic results if aimed well.  BB's may be a challenge though.  With smoke and heal, you get very good suitability over most other light cruisers.  Add torps, and you are a complete ship.  Find cover, use smoke, punish the red team, and always maneuver.

Yes, there are other ships of the same tier than can send you to to bottom quickly, but for my playing style, this suits me the best.  Just my opinion...

Members
68 posts
869 battles

I free exp'ed my way to this ship based on word of mouth, and I was not disappointed. I got it as a counterpart to my Dallas. Same ship type and tier, but very different. Where Dallas spews fire, Leander has the dangerous AP, the heal, the smoke, and the torps.

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles

RN ships (other than their BBs) generally get good acceleration, the DDs particularly so.

[B_O_W]
Members
322 posts
6,078 battles

For my module, I have the Gun Control for improved dispersion of shells.  Makes the AP rather nasty at medium and very nasty at shorter ranges.  Picked that over the Air Defense upgrade which increases damage and range (changed in 0.8.0 to only increase flack damage, or something like that)

What do you recommend for Captain skills?  I have:

1. Priority Target

2. Last STAND

3. Supertiendant

4. Concealment Expert

I have 4 more unspent points.  There are two four point skills that I am considering:

Advanced Fire Training or Radio Location.

After that, I will then consider "Smoke Screen Expert", "Survive-ability Expert", and "Basic Fire Training".  Your opinions are appreciated.

[77TAF]
Beta Testers
46 posts
1,111 battles

Question about the Leander.  how do people handle BB's in it?  I've been messing around with it in the operations, and it is an incredible fun ship.  Doesn't seem to overpen destroyes 'too much'.. cruisers, well I like to call it my anti-cruiser ship... been getting a ton of citadel hits in it.  but battleships, I dont know, seems my rounds are inneffective against them. 

If its pointing at me, I go for the superstructure, if its broadside.. I rake it from stem to stern, and bb's are.. wonky.  Seems 90% of my shots on broadside bb's are shatters.  Aiming just above the water, just below the deck.. basically the 'weakest' armor (example, that patch between the water and the secondarys on the fuso).. and my rounds shatter 4 out of 5 shells.. so its like '1 pen, shatter, shatter, shatter, random overpen, shatter, pen, shatter shatter'. 

I love it, just, seems no matter which BB i fire at, I shatter 90% of my shells.. either by bouncing off the turrets trying to hit superstructure, or shatter against flat sides. 

Anyone else have this issue or do my gunners need to be fired and new ones got?