You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Edinburgh — British Tier VIII cruiser.

7 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,348 posts
597 battles

Edinburgh — British Tier VIII cruiser.

The most powerful light cruiser in the Royal Navy during World War II. Outrivaled most other same-type ships in terms of armor protection. She inherited powerful main guns from her predecessors. Among other Royal Navy cruisers of the 1930s, Edinburgh carried more powerful AA weapons.
Edinburgh_wows_main.jpg
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of cruisers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,788 battles

Last week a teamate got a kick out of me getting Whitherer in my Edi.  Personally I didnt think it was that unusal.

Have you recieved whitherer in you Edi?

Members
16 posts
817 battles

It's actually not a bad ship, I like 'er. but I don't like the fact that she felt like a massive downgrade from the TVII Fiji. Every stat if you look at it face value is a downgrade from survival to concealment, except for torpedoes, which are about the same. She turns like a battleship too but has a decent speed. I'm wondering if the stats are rather misrepresenting though. She has better lasting power and can take a few hits (unlike her  predecessors which seemed to be one hit wonders 7/10 times).

The armour seems to be better placed too and allows the Edi to take more of a beating before sinking. The short range though kills 'er. Nearly everything out ranges an Edi. However, it seems to be designed more for protecting BBs against enemy destroyers than hunting BBs.

[BIER]
Members
179 posts
2,910 battles
On 12/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, Jambie_Lionheart said:

It's actually not a bad ship, I like 'er. but I don't like the fact that she felt like a massive downgrade from the TVII Fiji. Every stat if you look at it face value is a downgrade from survival to concealment, except for torpedoes, which are about the same. She turns like a battleship too but has a decent speed. I'm wondering if the stats are rather misrepresenting though. She has better lasting power and can take a few hits (unlike her  predecessors which seemed to be one hit wonders 7/10 times).

The armour seems to be better placed too and allows the Edi to take more of a beating before sinking. The short range though kills 'er. Nearly everything out ranges an Edi. However, it seems to be designed more for protecting BBs against enemy destroyers than hunting BBs.

She's a little "thicker" than the Fiji, and suffers a little bit by being slightly less maneuverable. Her armor is functionally identical, as are her guns and torps.  She does have *significantly* better AA than the Fiji.

Overall, she plays almost identically to the Fiji. Being T8 is a significant disadvantage, so she's no longer the OP monster that Fiji is at her tier, and instead is a solid performer, if not spectacular.

One other thing: the Edinburgh gets the "superheal" - it can repair almost 33% more damage than the Fiji's heal. That helps offset the MUCH larger percentage of citadels it tends to take.

Neither the Fiji nor the Edinburgh are BB-hunters.  Both can incidentally do that by sitting and smoke and farming BB superstructures, but they are in NO WAY something you want to go out and pick a fight with a BB in. Both are DD hunters, and both also do well in close combat with CLs and many CAs, if played properly.   In all honesty, they aren't BB or CA support ships - they team with other DDs well, or act as lone-wolfs best (perhaps with other BB or CA support).

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,788 battles

Not that you should go out seeking a one on one duel with a BB while in the Edi, but if you get the chance to flank one that is engaging other targets you can really do a lot of damage. 

See a lone BB pushing up and engaging your allies, go silent and get almost on the backside of its guns.  When its about to spot you, pop smoke and let him have it.  If you positioned yourself well he will sail into your secondary range and they will start fires.  Launch torps as you see fit.  I usually like to start with some torps so that if he turns towards me I can have them reloaded when he gets too close to my smoke to fire my guns.  Otherwise, fire until your smoke expires and then kite with some WASD.  Smoke will be back ready in just over 30 seconds so don’t go too far, because you get to do it all over again. 

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
5,033 battles
On 12/5/2018 at 11:02 AM, Guardian54 said:

Nasty pile of slag as far as I'm concerned. The lack of turret traverse makes it about as awful as Yorck.

I'm an admittedly new player, but I second your opinion.    I loved the Fiji, but no matter how much I played Edi, we just didn't have that same loving relationship.    I just upgraded to Neptune, and after 3 games in it sold my Edi.     The Neptune has reinvigorated my love for Brit cruisers.   I admit that it's probably my fault for not learning to play her correctly, but I'm glad to have her gone from my fleet.