You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Threshner1001

Struggling with the New York... Tips?

16 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
355 battles

Hi all,

So i am having serious issues with hitting almost anything and even positioning in the New York (NY) and i am not sure why. I did great with the Wyoming and felt like i could really deal some good damage and help the team. Most of the time with the NY i get separated or i can never even catch the main fleet when they rotate around the map in random mode. My other main boat is the Russian cruiser line which is very accurate and a bit faster so maybe that is hurting my play on the NY. Does anyone have any tips that might help my grind through this boat to the rest of the line or is it time to look at another BB line or mayb just stick with cruisers. The speed might be what kills me the most. I feel like most if not all ships are just moving faster than i am most games.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
585 posts

I would say play the russian cruisers, earn fxp and get the New Mex.  This does not alleviate the speed factor however.  You are going to have to deal with 21kt thru VII Colorado.  

Just watch the minimap and deploy your ship as best as possible - keeping in mind your speed and sometimes a base defender is needed.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles

The 21kt or so USN BBs (the last being VII Colorado) all suffer this, and the problem gets worse the higher in tier you go.  The only possible fix is to quickly decide where you need to go and go.  No fancy maneuvering, extra stops and turns along the way.  GO AND DO NOT STOP, FULL SPEED AHEAD.  Any delay you do sets you back even longer.

But do be careful about sailing straight like this.  Take into account where the enemy DDs are at, and start noting spots where DDs tend to go to ambush people.  It's not just islands.  Take into account where DDs were last spotted and where they might go to for easier prey.  Because if a DD catches you sailing straight, you will be a super tempting target for torpedo attack.

But fear not.  Once you get to Tier VIII North Carolina, you got respectable 27kts.  At Tier IX, you got an amazi-balls 33kts in a godd*mn BB.  In Tier X you got a competitive 30kts.  But keep in mind, things get harder once you hit Tier VII, and most especially once you get into Tier VIII.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,333 posts
11,458 battles

New York is the start.

New Mexico and Colorado suffer same slow speed...

You must learn to position yourself to make use of your guns.

When angled, these 3 ships can tank a ton.

And the American guns hit hard.

I remember those brawls in my New York...

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles

RU Cruisers are simple.  Stay at as long a possible range as you can and hit targets consistently with your fast firing 152mm guns with lazorz shell behavior.  You have to stay at long range because in general, RU Cruiser protection is very soft.  You try to fight in short ranges, you are easier to hit, and easy to citadel.  Citadel protection is very bad.  Battleships in particular will rip you apart.  But even a 203mm armed CA firing AP into your sides will be the end of you.  Stay at long range where many ships will struggle to hit you.  Use your amazing long range proficiency to keep racking up damage.

RU Cruisers are long ranged gun support.  Play them accordingly and they will reward you.  Play them as a Knife Fighter, Close Quarters Combat ship, and you'll get rekt.  Even Moskva at Tier X prefers to keep people at range.

Schors at Tier VII exemplifies this.  Decent speed, amazing RU 152mm x TWELVE firepower.  She can kite multiple BBs at long range and burn them all down.  I can play her in wide open Ocean map and have an amazing time.  I used to get a lot of Hackusations with Schors because they question how well she hits targets at long range with so many shells.  But the moment you try to cap contest or fight in short range, she gets rekt.

Things change a bit more with RU Cruisers starting Tier VIII with Radar access, at least in terms of trying to use them or driving DDs away with the threat of Radar.  At Tier V & IX you got 180mm guns.  At Tier X you got Moskva with her RU Railgun 220mm rifles, one of the best, most consistent long ranged guns in the game.

Time is a Russian Cruiser's ally.  Time means you are surviving.  If you are surviving, then that means you are shooting.  If you are firing those guns all the time, then you are racking up damage.  If your guns are not firing as a RU Cruiser, you are wrong.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,064 posts
17,029 battles

Not much to do but grind through; practice what should work, (armor angling,) watch the mini-map for even the briefest hint of an enemy.

Unless you are desperate for credits; I would encourage you to keep New York, and go back to it when you’re comfortable with higher tier battleships. You should find her much easier to do well in, thanks to experience and lessons learned along the way.

• Cool 1

Members
32 posts
3,230 battles

Focus on map awareness and team positioning for both sides.  You want to go where the fire is hottest since it's basically impossible to re-position in the NY.

Don't worry too much about that middle turret either.  For whatever reason it has a couple degrees less of a firing arc than the front or rear guns when angled and it takes you past the point of safe angling by bringing it to bare.

Yes the NY is slow but she's tough and hits hard.  Patience and positioning will get you where you need to go.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,178 posts
9,665 battles

I struggle with the Texas which is supposed to be a decent (but even slower) sister ship. Since CVs seem to be making a comeback at the lower tiers (not sure what the CV revamp will do in the future) ships like New York with virtually no AA are really going to have a tough time. You are slow but fairly maneuverable (for a BB) so shoot showing the minimal broadside and then angle while reloading. Choose carefully where you go as you can't reposition quickly. On the plus side you can run down a Katori, but you'll probably never get to see one.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
5 posts
355 battles

Thanks for the tips guys. I think i had 3-5 games where i started on the very far side of the map (A) and my team went (C), outran me and i got caught in the middle of the map by the other team as they underswung their fleet for B. With what has been said, i certainly need to commit to where i am going at the start of the game to have a better chance at this. I do have around 100,000 Free exp so i can skip it at the end of the day if i truly need. 

Thanks for all your responses!

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles
12 minutes ago, Threshner1001 said:

Thanks for the tips guys. I think i had 3-5 games where i started on the very far side of the map (A) and my team went (C), outran me and i got caught in the middle of the map by the other team as they underswung their fleet for B. With what has been said, i certainly need to commit to where i am going at the start of the game to have a better chance at this. I do have around 100,000 Free exp so i can skip it at the end of the day if i truly need. 

Thanks for all your responses!

I advise not to use your FreeXPs for skipping NY, NM, or even CO.  Save it for a FreeXP ship or for quickly researching the modules for VIII North Carolina or IX Iowa so you don't play them stock.  Stock ships in high tier are at a pretty bad disadvantage.  Even Amagi in Tier VIII is an amazing BB, but stock, well, that's another thing altogether.

Also, since you are only in Tier V NY and not invested tooooo far in USN BBs, if you prize respectable speed and good BB gunnery with range, IJN BBs are worth taking a look.  Myogi in Tier IV is pretty mediocre, but the rest of the line is good to go.  Some IJN BB speeds:

V Kongo 30kts

VI Fuso 24.5kts

VII Nagato 25kts

VIII Amagi 30kts

IX Izumo 28kts

X Yamato 27kts

All IJN BBs have long gun range.  Starting at Tier V, all have access to ASM1 / Aiming Systems Mod 1 upgrade for buffing main battery dispersion.  They have respectable accuracy, the lowest dispersion of ALL BBs in the game.  They don't have the heavy shells of USN BBs, but their gunnery is consistent.  Bear in mind, USN BBs catch up in long range and competitive accuracy, good shell arcs / velocity in Tier IX-X.  But even then, IJN BBs have the one trump card no other BB Line has.

IJN 460mm guns of the Yamato-class.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
700 posts
11,715 battles

New York is a painful grind. But her guns do hit hard when they land on a red boat. Russian cruisers are, as you note, very different. They are fast and fairly accurate. But I believe the grind through New York is worth the trouble.

New Mexico is a beast if played to its strengths. And Colorado can hold its own as well. For me, the trick to that line through T7 is to move toward the heaviest fighting at full speed. Try to keep friendly cruisers and destroyers between you and the red ships, but close the distance and try to hammer enemy cruisers and/or battleships that show you their broadside. Take your time with the guns. Wait for a good shot rather than firing whenever your guns load. And if you find your team falling back (they are all going to be faster than you) just go into "kite" mode, wiggling and avoiding showing your own broadside. But stay close to the action, as that is where New York can make a difference, imo.

Respects,

Am

[PLPT]
Members
589 posts
6,511 battles
52 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

When angled, these 3 ships can tank a ton.

And the American guns hit hard.

This.

It’s not about crossing the map but pivoting to maximize both your armor effectiveness and gun output.  You’ll be near the middle of the map mostly, because of your speed, so find a good place to act like a land battery.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles
16 minutes ago, n00bot said:

This.

It’s not about crossing the map but pivoting to maximize both your armor effectiveness and gun output.  You’ll be near the middle of the map mostly, because of your speed, so find a good place to act like a land battery.

Those specific BBs can't tank at all, IMO.

1.  They eat penetrations galore from AP.  They may not get citadeled easy, but they eat lots of AP pens.

2.  Those specific USN BBs have FAT SUPERSTRUCTURES and are very wide boats.  They catch a lot of HE shells.  From the sheer bulk of the forward and aft superstructures which look like a gigantic wall to catch my Cruiser shells, to the very wide decks that catch the shells that don't hit the superstructure, it's easy to get lots of hits and wear these specific USN BBs down.

3.  For being such big, fat, slow moving targets, they are easy to rack up damage on.  You barely need to lead them.  They're easy to hit, easy to pen, easy to damage, easy to burn, etc.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,214 battles

New York is under a bit of a power creep...it was an Okay ship to begin with.  You have to suffer with it...some good suggestions already given, but I would take a quick look at my map before heading out...look for the targets you can hurt the worse without getting nuked...stay away from upper tier ships if you can.  One thing about American BBs ...yes they are slow, but they turn pretty well, so use that...shoot, turn into your target if its a BB and then at about the 7 second mark of your reload turn back and shoot again...this gives you better armor angle, than just sailing blissfully broadside, which many starting BB players do.  New Mex is good, Colorado isn't too bad now...it hits hard.  Then NC...again broadside your going to get citadeled but your a tank from the front.

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

New York trades speed and armor (although none of the tier 5 BBs have great armor) for amazing firepower. I believe she (and by extension Texas) has the nastiest broadside of tier V and I don't have too much troubleshoot devstriking with this ship.

Tips:

- She's slow, so her best starting position is up the middle (assuming at least some of your team is going there ... don't go suicide either). This way, if the battle get most intense on either flank, you can reach it. But if you start on one flank and realize you're needed on the other, you're hosed and won't be able to contribute.

- Get the main battery range mod. AA range is nice and all, but when you're this slow, being able to pelt enemies 19km away is gold.

- Don't nose in and don't broadside. Your armor can't take BB shells if you do. Instead, keep yourself at a 30 degree angle most of the time and just angle out when you need to fire. If I remember correctly (I'm not home right now), NY/Texas has generalized belt armor, so if you can bait people into firing at her long belt rather than her nose, you'll bounce a lot of shells.

New York is not as bad as people claim. But you do need to be aware of her weaknesses and play accordingly.