StrixKitty

World War Two Naval Books - Suggest to Me Pl0x

24 comments in this topic

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles

Hello all, 

I've begun a foray into the wonderous - and quite expensive - world of naval book study. I've gotten a couple of books (Die Deutsches Kriegsmarine - Band 2, as my second and German Destroyers of WWII as my first...does NavTechJap count as a book?) and I was wondering about other books I could buy, so why not ask here, of all places?

I do have some criteria, actually. Pretty specific criteria.

• Any books suggested must be for these two wars: World War II and the US Civil War (note: WW1 books accepted)
  • All books should be construction, armament, design, and machinery-related rather than service history-related.
  • The books should include information and SHIP PLANS/LAYOUTS not readily available online.
  • I'm pretty all-inclusive, but my main interests lie in DE's and DD's, and to a far lesser extent Light/Heavy Cruisers, and even less on BB's.
  • Countries focused on should be (in order of IMO-importance): Germany, Japan, Confederate States of America, United States, Italy, Russia, Britain (sorry France).

If any of y'all have some good reads to suggest, meeting this criteria, please share the name and author of the book. 

Thanks,

~ Kitty.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles
[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Not much versed in naval books, but if you want info on guns I would suggest http://www.navweaps.com/

Most naval guns used during the 20th century have a page with loads of tables on gun characteristics, ammunition and trivia. In addition, since most of these pages rely on relevant naval literature, you may be able to find sources from there.

Hope this helps a bit.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles
35 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Not much versed in naval books, but if you want info on guns I would suggest http://www.navweaps.com/

Most naval guns used during the 20th century have a page with loads of tables on gun characteristics, ammunition and trivia. In addition, since most of these pages rely on relevant naval literature, you may be able to find sources from there.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh yeah, NavWeaps. I've literally digitally downloaded all their articles. 

[TASH]
Members
1,764 posts
3,975 battles

Well you got the jane ship series but those are massively expensive 

Members
1,078 posts
4 minutes ago, Skeem689 said:

That's what I was going to suggest, I picked up a 1943-44 edition recently

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,306 battles

Not detailed construction but some of the best in WWII at Sea. They do include info on building ships, LCTs, LSTs, and the early torpedo issues on subs.

Can't recommend highly enough. This one is a must read:

World War II at Sea: A Global History -- Craig L. Symonds

Also good:

The Fall of Japan: The Final Weeks of World War II in the Pacific -- William Craig
Sink 'Em All: Submarine Warfare in the Pacific -- Charles A. Lockwood

Edited by alexf24

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles
1 hour ago, Skeem689 said:

I think those fall under Conway in terms of "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle".

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles
16 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Not detailed construction but some of the best in WWII at Sea. They do include info on building ships, LCTs, LSTs, and the early torpedo issues on subs.

Can't recommend highly enough. This one is a must read:

World War II at Sea: A Global History -- Craig L. Symonds

Also good:

The Fall of Japan: The Final Weeks of World War II in the Pacific -- William Craig
Sink 'Em All: Submarine Warfare in the Pacific -- Charles A. Lockwood

1 hour ago, DarthZeppelin said:

http://www.booksetc.co.uk/features/view/740-haynes-military-manuals/subject:3-ship

Haynes, mostly known for their car manuals, have done a series on famous warships. Including details on how to repair Bismarck's rudder!

51JOdN7MplL._SX386_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nice, nice!

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

Well, you limit yourself quite a bit here;

Janes is your best source for layout and armament. I have read about 400 volumes on WWII on tactics and personnel and was a museum curator for Small naval Craft.

You might contact HNSA(Histroic Naval Ships Association) there you find a list of ships in the USA and the Imperial War Museum in the UK for material.

Construction wise it gets pretty tough, but for good reads try;

Pt Boats

At Close Quarters the Official USN History of PT Boats

Submarines;

Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner

Destroyers

Little Ship, Big War  by Edward P Stafford

Carriers

The Men of the Gambier bay

Battleships

Battleship at War: The Epic Story of the USS Washington

Cruisers

Pacific War Diary, 1942-1945: The Secret Diary of an American Sailor

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,180 posts
2,029 battles

Oof, the lack of interest in France is unfortunate as courtesy of John Jordan and his books with French authors, the kind of books you're looking for exactly are readily available if you're looking for more information on the Marine Nationale, with a book on DDs from the interwar & WWII period, one for the cruisers, another for battleships, and another one for the WWI and pre-WWI battleships.

In terms of books in regards to Italian units, except for Bagnasco's book on the Littorio-class, you're not going to have much luck in English.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles

Thanks for all of y'all's suggestions!

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

@StrixKitty I got this book on the IJN, it’s hardcover, very informative, and was well worth getting since it actually combined 4 or 5 other books into 1.

D7427BAB-CCC9-4F57-910E-6FD425FBAB4C.jpeg.4bcfa11523e83096958b64e402d3e35a.jpeg

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles
On 9/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

@StrixKitty I got this book on the IJN, it’s hardcover, very informative, and was well worth getting since it actually combined 4 or 5 other books into 1.

D7427BAB-CCC9-4F57-910E-6FD425FBAB4C.jpeg.4bcfa11523e83096958b64e402d3e35a.jpeg

Thanks man, I'll check it out.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,295 battles

I am aware of this book:

41y2lV4AdjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Destroyers-Illustrated-History-Histories/dp/1557504423/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537670235&sr=1-1&keywords=norman+friedman

I have the books on the Cruisers, Battleships, and Aircraft Carriers in the series. If it follows the previous books in the series, it will start with the first classes of the type of ship and go all the way untill the latest ship class design. For example, the Battleship book discussed the design and construction of the earliest battleships, essentially Maine and Texas, and then went from BB-1 all the way up to BB-64, plus the Modified Iowas (Illinois and Kentucky), the design of the South Dakota (1920) and Montana. It also included various design studies done between the wars and leading up to North Carolina. It does discuss to a limited degree some operations the ships were involved in, but most in regards to how the ships performed during battle and when receiving battle damage.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,295 battles
On 9/5/2018 at 11:54 AM, StrixKitty said:
  • Any books suggested must be for these two wars: World War II and the US Civil War (note: WW1 books accepted)
  • All books should be construction, armament, design, and machinery-related rather than service history-related.
  • The books should include information and SHIP PLANS/LAYOUTS not readily available online.
  • I'm pretty all-inclusive, but my main interests lie in DE's and DD's, and to a far lesser extent Light/Heavy Cruisers, and even less on BB's.
  • Countries focused on should be (in order of IMO-importance): Germany, Japan, Confederate States of America, United States, Italy, Russia, Britain (sorry France).

Found this, though it is specific to Warspite

91bbVWP2hkL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Warspite-Detailed-Original-Builders/dp/1526719371

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
914 posts
17,978 battles

One of the best destroyer books out there:

Destroyers of World War 2, an international encyclopedia by M. J. Whitley

https://www.amazon.com/Destroyers-World-War-Two-International/dp/0870213261/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1538444161&sr=8-18&keywords=world+war+2+destroyers

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,929 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 8:21 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

On 10/1/2018 at 8:37 PM, BaronVonTom said:

One of the best destroyer books out there:

Destroyers of World War 2, an international encyclopedia by M. J. Whitley

https://www.amazon.com/Destroyers-World-War-Two-International/dp/0870213261/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1538444161&sr=8-18&keywords=world+war+2+destroyers

Thanks both of you I'll check them out.