You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bianchi4Me

Recommended ship for Op Aegis?

76 comments in this topic

Members
108 posts
1,960 battles

No tier 6 in port currently.  Can re-buy Pensacola, or research Farragut, Dallas, Leander, or New Mexico.  Not sure which would be most useful to a team attempting Operation Aegis.

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

Pensacola.  Lots of cruisers for you to shoot at, many of them alo conveniently show their broadside so load up those sweet juicy supersized AP shells and shoot them.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
582 posts

Of those choices, Pensacola.  Has good enough XP and speed, good guns and AA.

Would choose Normandie, Graf Spee or Fuso if not limited to the ones you mention.

At least that is what works for me, your mileage may vary!

[HYDRO]
Members
1,309 posts
3,662 battles

Pensacola, one important advantage is she just needs a 3 point Commander to have Expert Marksman on and she is pretty effective in Ops.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
20 minutes ago, Bianchi4Me said:

No tier 6 in port currently.  Can re-buy Pensacola, or research Farragut, Dallas, Leander, or New Mexico.  Not sure which would be most useful to a team attempting Operation Aegis.

I would agree with the Pensacola, and New Mexico. I am not sure about the Dallas, but that is only because I have not used/seen her in that Op yet.

I normally use my HSF Admiral Graf Spee, but that is a premium ship so you might not have her.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[WOLF3]
Members
5,944 posts
2,203 battles
16 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

Pensacola.  Lots of cruisers for you to shoot at, many of them alo conveniently show their broadside so load up those sweet juicy supersized AP shells and shoot them.

Not to object to your recommendation, but Pensacola doesn't have the Super-heavy shells.

Recently I've been driving New Mexico in Aegis.  Not all that effective as a ship killer since it's so slow, but it makes a super tank.  I've seen Leander be very effective.

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Not to object to your recommendation, but Pensacola doesn't have the Super-heavy shells.

Recently I've been driving New Mexico in Aegis.  Not all that effective as a ship killer since it's so slow, but it makes a super tank.  I've seen Leander be very effective.

I've always thought it has them because how easily you can citadel other cruisers.  I got the New Mexico and also the T-61 recently, will try them both this week.

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles
14 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I would agree with the Pensacola, and New Mexico. I am not sure about the Dallas, but that is only because I have not used/seen her in that Op yet.

I normally use my HSF Admiral Graf Spee, but that is a premium ship so you might not have her.

The Dallas is a pretty "meh" ship, its AA guns are not very powerful and its shells only so-so in damage done.  I progressed my Dallas mostly through operations it was nothing to write home about;  sure you can do fairly well but I won't recommend you select it unless you have no other choices or is progressing through the tech tree.

I love the HSF Graf Spee too, it is only of my "drive for fun" ship when in operations.  It is another good choice for this operation.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, bigbearbeear said:

The Dallas is a pretty "meh" ship, its AA guns are not very powerful and its shells only so-so in damage done.  I progressed my Dallas mostly through operations it was nothing to write home about;  sure you can do fairly well but I won't recommend you select it unless you have no other choices or is progressing through the tech tree.

I love the HSF Graf Spee too, it is only of my "drive for fun" ship when in operations.  It is another good choice for this operation.

Well I like/have the Dallas. BUT it is not the Old T6 Cleveland, but I might try her at least once it the Op.

HSF Admiral Graf Spee - oh yeah she is fun, it is one of the few ships I used to go into Random games with.

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,043 posts
8,052 battles

I always use Nurnberg or Fuso now for this one, was always Cleveland in the past... but WG... :Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
2 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I always use Nurnberg or Fuso now for this one, was always Cleveland in the past... but WG... :Smile_sceptic:

Fuso, never thought about the old IJN shotgun, yeah I seen it in the Op, so she would be a good one.

Members
4,735 posts
5,464 battles

I used Dallas last time the op was in rotation. She's serviceable, don't recall if I had IFHE or I I had moved that captain to Helena.

Pensacola is probably a solid choice, so is Aoba so long as you don't force the use of your torpedoes. La Gali is also a solid CL for Aegis. Can't speak to any of the other cruisers.

I wouldn't recommend a DD for this op unless you're really, really good in DDs. There are just too many cruisers and DDs don't pack enough HP and firepower to adequately deal with the threats.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
159 posts
1,506 battles
14 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Was going to ask about nurnberg. I'm grinding through both it and the Pensacola right now. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
159 posts
1,506 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I used Dallas last time the op was in rotation. She's serviceable, don't recall if I had IFHE or I I had moved that captain to Helena.

Pensacola is probably a solid choice, so is Aoba so long as you don't force the use of your torpedoes. La Gali is also a solid CL for Aegis. Can't speak to any of the other cruisers.

I wouldn't recommend a DD for this op unless you're really, really good in DDs. There are just too many cruisers and DDs don't pack enough HP and firepower to adequately deal with the threats.

And you answered my question regarding DDs. I have several tier 6s, but will likely default to cruisers for this one. 

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,855 battles

Really depends on your feel for the ship and overall skill level.

Of the ships named I would choose Leander and Farragut. If you're not comfortable with DD play in ops then Leander might be an issue as well but she has huge potential.

Now the question of helpful to the team... I've been on random teams that 5 stared with only 4 ships actually contributing. I've also been on teams that needed me to be playing 4 ships myself to have a chance. Best thing you can do is learn the op, do your part and as much more as you can.

If you really wanna have fun, and win, in ops get into our Ops group on Discord. Its stupidly fun game play and chat. 

Look up Lightninger on YouTube. His channel is full of vids of our group. No unicum play level required and you learn a bunch playing in our group.

[KAPPA]
Members
146 posts
4,220 battles
14 minutes ago, CatSnipah said:

And you answered my question regarding DDs. I have several tier 6s, but will likely default to cruisers for this one. 

I tend to field Monaghan for T6 ops, and she's basically a better/worse Farragut, but my rule of thumb is that you have to know that you'll be obscenely effective. And, well... with torp reload booster and a bit of ambushing, Monaghan can carry the heck out of games if she's allowed to live that long.

That said, unless one is comfortable being made of glass against overwhelming odds, it's better to not go that route. I can't even count how many times a poorly used DD (or three) has turned an easy op into an exercise in frustration.

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
1 hour ago, Bianchi4Me said:

The Molotov is on sale for $22.92 and is a great ship for tier 6 ops. I have gotten 46 citadels in Aegis with it in one battle.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
1 hour ago, bigbearbeear said:

Yeah, Graf Spee is so much fun in Ops.  

Members
6,625 posts
25,270 battles

Non-Premium I'd say Budyonny, Pensacola, Fuso, Bayern, in that order

I am not including DDs as I do not like DDs for Ops (and I am a DD main).

Premiums: De Grasse, Molotov, Graf Spee, Warspite, Dunkerke worked well for me. Arizona maybe, as slow speed is not a major issue here.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,422 battles
1 hour ago, CatSnipah said:

A destroyer is easily more than capable of matching or exceeding a cruiser if you play it right. You just need to know what you should be doing. I will give you two easy video examples off my channel here.

Fushun

Fubuki

And I also have strategies and tactics videos to show you what you should be doing.

Destroyer

Cruiser

If you have information you need on operations, send me a message or just check out some of my videos.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles

I did well in the DeGrasse and Budyonny if I recall, good guns, HE and AP when needed.  Pensacola should be good choice as well now that it's down to Tier 6.

I must agree with the others that the Dallas isn't the best for this one, I found it a bit too lightly armored and can get caught out when passing through the initial set of islands.

[DNTZ]
Members
197 posts
11,203 battles

For cruisers:

Buddy - if you have IFHE as a commander skill this boat is very, very good

Pensacola - good AA and powerful APs, slow reload though

For battleships (I dont play BBs in ops, but clanmates that do):

Fuso is their first choice and New Mex is second

For destroyers:

DON'T unless you are really, really good.  Normally DDs are the first ones killed and offer little help in ops.

[PVE]
Members
8,833 posts
7,254 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

2 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

I've always thought it has them because how easily you can citadel other cruisers.  I got the New Mexico and also the T-61 recently, will try them both this week.

According to the wiki, Pensacola has the SHS AP.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,422 battles
27 minutes ago, Optio_Praetorii said:

I did well in the DeGrasse and Budyonny if I recall, good guns, HE and AP when needed.  Pensacola should be good choice as well now that it's down to Tier 6.

I must agree with the others that the Dallas isn't the best for this one, I found it a bit too lightly armored and can get caught out when passing through the initial set of islands.

10 minutes ago, BruDog1970 said:

For cruisers:

Buddy - if you have IFHE as a commander skill this boat is very, very good

For destroyers:

DON'T unless you are really, really good.  Normally DDs are the first ones killed and offer little help in ops.

Budyonny is easily a very good cruiser for this and I have a replay to show it.

Like I said for DD, as long as you know what you're doing or learn from someone, it's very easy to excel and do even better than cruisers.

https://imgur.com/a/g7v6d