You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Graf Spee (video)

19 comments in this topic

[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,662 battles

Very nice! :Smile_medal:. I especially liked that tiny clip with the launched torpedo.

For anyone interested what the text in German at the end means, it roughly translates to:

"The German warship fights with the full commitment of its crew until the last shell,  until it wins or goes down with  waving flags"

Edited by warheart1992

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

Thanks for posting, this is my favorite ship I own in the game.:Smile_medal:

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
39 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thanks for posting, this is my favorite ship I own in the game.:Smile_medal:

In the top 5 of my list too, and the Graf is what every premium ship should try to be: unique.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

In the top 5 of my list too, and the Graf is what every premium ship should try to be: unique.

Yes it is, I have the HSF version of it. And my Thea is almost (halfway there) an 19point Captain.

I wanted it because the story of the Spee and its R/L Captain was one of my favorite reads in History Class.

• Cool 1

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
5 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Yes it is, I have the HSF version of it. And my Thea is almost (halfway there) an 19point Captain.

I wanted it because the story of the Spee and its R/L Captain was one of my favorite reads in History Class.

Yes but so sad the ending, he should have gone out and fought for greater glory. The poor man realized his mistake afterwards, clearly.

But this cruiser is the most unique in the game. With her history it's a slam dunk for classic ship in my collection.

But there are many others....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WDS]
Members
344 posts
6,881 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Yes but so sad the ending, he should have gone out and fought for greater glory

He should have burned in hell what greater glory he's a Nazi . Poor man my Butt !!!!! 

• Bad 3

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Yes but so sad the ending, he should have gone out and fought for greater glory. The poor man realized his mistake afterwards, clearly.

But this cruiser is the most unique in the game. With her history it's a slam dunk for classic ship in my collection.

But there are many others....

What's the point in going out and getting more people killed for no reason?  Because Nazi honor demanded it?

Captain Langsdorff saved his crew at the cost of his own life.  He shouldn't be shamed for it.

• Bad 1

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
3 hours ago, Sventex said:

What's the point in going out and getting more people killed for no reason?  Because Nazi honor demanded it?

Captain Langsdorff saved his crew at the cost of his own life.  He shouldn't be shamed for it.

I wasn't shaming him. He inflicted far more damage on the Brits than he realized and was taken in by bogus intelligence that other RN reinforcements were nearby when in fact they were 5 days away. He did what he felt was honourable and deserves respect for that. My comment had nothing to do with "Nazi honour", thanks.

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
7 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I wasn't shaming him. He inflicted far more damage on the Brits than he realized and was taken in by bogus intelligence that other RN reinforcements were nearby when in fact they were 5 days away. He did what he felt was honourable and deserves respect for that. My comment had nothing to do with "Nazi honour", thanks.

The Graf Spee was low on ammunition and too damaged to return home so no positive outcome would have result in sailing the ship and crew to destruction.  To hell with Nazi "Great Glory" and the miserable deaths that resulted from pride.

Edited by Sventex

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The Graf Spee was low on ammunition and no positive outcome would have result in sailing the ship and crew to destruction.  To hell with Nazi "Great Glory" and the miserable deaths that resulted from pride.

I've responded. Do carry on... or create your own rant thread.

• Bad 1

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
7 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Do carry on

You said it, not me.

5 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

he should have gone out and fought for greater glory.

16 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

My comment had nothing to do with "Nazi honour", thanks.

Fought for the greater glory of what then?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

I am not defending Langsdorff (Kaiserliche Marine, Reichsmarine and Kriegsmarine 1912-1939), he was a member of the Nazi Party as was many in Germany at that time, but he was a Sailor/Captain faced with a heavy duties that day.

He gone out, and fought getting men on both sides killed. Instead He decided on scuttling the Spee, the Captain was known making decisions like this "Over the next 10 weeks, Langsdorff and Admiral Graf Spee were extremely successful, stopping and sinking nine British merchant ships, totalling over 50,000 tons. Langsdorff adhered to the Hague Conventions and avoided killing anyone; his humane treatment won the respect of the ships' officers detained as his prisoners.

And "The town of Ajax in Ontario, Canada, which is named after the Royal Navy cruiser involved in Graff Spee's destruction, and which also has streets within it named after Royal Naval personnel involved in the action, named a street in 2007 in honour of Hans Langsdorff - "Langsdorff Drive"."

So was he an Nazi? Yes but (IMO) somewhere inside of him, there was decent man. 

@Stauffenberg44 once again thanks for post the video, I am sorry that this thread has gone into rant mode, and I hope I have not added fuel to the fire.

Have Fun and Good Hunting All, I am done.:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
17 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I am not defending Langsdorff (Kaiserliche Marine, Reichsmarine and Kriegsmarine 1912-1939), he was a member of the Nazi Party as was many in Germany at that time, but he was a Sailor/Captain faced with a heavy duties that day.

He gone out, and fought getting men on both sides killed. Instead He decided on scuttling the Spee, the Captain was known making decisions like this "Over the next 10 weeks, Langsdorff and Admiral Graf Spee were extremely successful, stopping and sinking nine British merchant ships, totalling over 50,000 tons. Langsdorff adhered to the Hague Conventions and avoided killing anyone; his humane treatment won the respect of the ships' officers detained as his prisoners.

And "The town of Ajax in Ontario, Canada, which is named after the Royal Navy cruiser involved in Graff Spee's destruction, and which also has streets within it named after Royal Naval personnel involved in the action, named a street in 2007 in honour of Hans Langsdorff - "Langsdorff Drive"."

So was he an Nazi? Yes but (IMO) somewhere inside of him, there was decent man. 

@Stauffenberg44 once again thanks for post the video, I am sorry that this thread has gone into rant mode, and I hope I have not added fuel to the fire.

Have Fun and Good Hunting All, I am done.:Smile_honoring:

Thanks for that and I agree. All things considered I think he did the right thing and was a man of conscience for doing it.

Fair seas all.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
On 9/6/2018 at 6:53 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

Thanks for that and I agree. All things considered I think he did the right thing and was a man of conscience for doing it.

Fair seas all.

I hope you do not mind posting this link here. It is from Drachinifel on YouTube, about the KMS Admiral Graf Spee.:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[1RD]
[1RD]
Members
523 posts
On 9/6/2018 at 3:58 AM, warheart1992 said:

Very nice! :Smile_medal:. I especially liked that tiny clip with the launched torpedo.

For anyone interested what the text in German at the end means, it roughly translates to:

"The German warship fights with the full commitment of its crew until the last shell,  until it wins or goes down with  waving flags"

Yeah, pity they abandoned ship and scuttled it - blew it up just outside Montevideo port. :)

Sadly, the Captain was ordered not to allow the ship to be captured or suffer a humiliating defeat, because of that, he shot himself the next day.

• Cool 1

[1RD]
[1RD]
Members
523 posts
On 9/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, clammboy said:

He should have burned in hell what greater glory he's a Nazi . Poor man my Butt !!!!! 

Sorry, not all Germans were Nazi's and the Captain of the Graff Spee wasn't a Nazi. Rather than shoot those men on the ships he sank, he opted to take them prisoner. (belonging to the Nazi party ensured employment, many non Nazi's did this in order to sail.)

And in any language, the man was a hero.

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 1

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
On 9/8/2018 at 3:23 AM, Chaos_EN2 said:

I hope you do not mind posting this link here. It is from Drachinifel on YouTube, about the KMS Admiral Graf Spee.:Smile_honoring:

Nice ty!