You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Sea Worthy Wednesday - New Ships

21 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,790 battles

439px-HMAS_Australia_bridge.jpg

*pictured - Captain Emile Dechaineaux onboard HMAS Australia during operations near Leyte Gulf in September 1944*

When new ships enter your fleet, how long does it take for you to learn to play it?

With a steady climb up the tech tree ladder, it takes a number of battles and time before learning how to utilize a ship in battle.

Being sea worthy and going through sea trials is a naval tradition dating back to sailing ship days when captains and crew trained and familiarized themselves with their warship.

In game, the number of battles, maps, and battle modes all factor into how to properly use the warship to its advantage.

How long do you take to master and command your new vessel?

"This ship is built to fight. You had better know how." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#seaworthywednesday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

That depends on who you ask from the players I have had played with, I have had some tell me, I have no idea what the heck I am doing, some tell me I am crazy, and some say I have mastered my ship.:cap_haloween:

As far as what I think, I learn something new with every battle I go into. So far as mastering a ship, maybe the closest ship I have to mastering is my HSF Admiral Graf Spee. I know what it can do, and want it cannot, and I have had it for little over a year now.

So am I master of it?

Maybe, but that depends on my next match.:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
412 posts
6,180 battles

It takes around 15 battle for me to at least get a hang onf the new ship that I just aquired

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles

It depends on the ship. Pensacola took forever, wasn't until the last few thousand XP in the grind that I figured out how to use the concealment and guns to best effect (of course the concealment buff dropped mid grind for me). NC also took a while to get used to, mostly the shell flight time. Other's were pretty quick. The New Orleans after the Pepsi was pretty straightforward. Montana after Iowa and Missouri was also easy. The hardest part is learning just how the ship handles, how fast it turns, reacts to rudder inputs, how much room it needs, how the turret angles work and how they turn with the ship, how exactly the armor works to best advantage. Gun arc, HE vs AP shell perfomance, all these things are stats that you can look at, but they mean nothing until you play the ship a bit.

Also, moving on is a process as well. Usually once I unlock the next ship, I de-select the auto-supply feature for camo and signals, and then have one last battle. Make sure all signals and camo is demounted. Sell or demount upgrades, keep the special ones, then sell the ship making sure it's not on sale. Then I have to mount upgrades on the new ship, mount camo and signals. Select proper consumables and which ones I want to be premium (make sure the credit option is selected, not doubloons). Bring the captain over, retrain him (my captains are now so high ranking that I have to pay to retrain, grinding it out is in some cases more XP than the next ship). Usually I don't have to redo the skills. Usually I've forgotten one of these steps, kind of embarrassing to have a Baltimore with stock fighter plane. Then it's a quick coop battle to make sure I know the important things about the ship, and then we're off to the Random Battles.

Sometimes there's a tier shock too. Remember in the NC, had a couple top tier games, then loaded in to a battle and it was full of Yamatos, Zaos, and Montanas. Realized I was in the big leagues then.

• Cool 2

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
214 posts
1,437 battles

I tend to find T6 and T8 the most different, I don't know that this makes it difficult in all cases, just causes you to relearn some aspects.  Sometimes, esp at T6, it's only positive (lots of lines graduate from WW1/interwar concepts to WW2).  T8 is usually the biggest hurdle.  By far the worst matchmaking, usually disruptive line changes (i.e. you start getting a taste of end of line play style), typically lacking the T9/T10 gimmick that sets the line apart, etc.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,956 battles

About 5-10 battles, depending on class.  DDs and/or gimmicky cruisers are a bit tricker to learn than most battleships.  CVs may be a whole 'nother level, but I don't touch those yet.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,724 posts
4,523 battles

It depends on - how much caffeine I have, and how many cigarettes I have left. 

Roma I'm still figuring out....Akiuzki I learned in an hour.

• Cool 1

Members
2,407 posts
2,202 battles

Usually depends on how well I know the line as a whole. For off shoots like Campbeltown or Warspite, maybe within 10 battles or so. In Wyoming's case, I had to take a break from the game before it magically clicked with me. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,856 battles

My newest acquisition is the Boise. I earned her thru the Nueve de Julio special mission. Needless to say I had Boise "mastered(?)" on the very first battle...

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

Depends on the ship, once I learned "play like a cruiser" Akizuki took maybe 5 games. I immediately clicked with Dun and by extension Rich. Scharn didn't take too long either. Gascogne was a surprisingly fast learn too. 

Opposite side - Lyon and Normandie, never learned, same with tier 7 Pensacola. A few others that some say are "amazing" I just have not figured out no matter what I do. 

Aside from stealth DD's, and some oddballs like Aki, Generally seems to be what I do best in and learn the fastest are fast BB's/Battlecruisers/tanky bow on ships. Insane as it may sound Balti and Buffalo my greater success's in I actually play them more as I would my Scharn or similar BB's. Just wish both those cruisers had maybe maybe .5-1 second faster reload on Baltimore and maybe about 2 on Buffalo. Much as I love those ships, they need... something. RoF is the best guess but I feel something is off to make the ship truly comfortable, least for me. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,699 posts
3,459 battles

When learning a new ship I like to work with a division and typically play a little cautiously. I get to know the guns, and firing angles as well as their penetration ability. Once I'm confortable I look to get more involved and find the sweet spot for her.

Playing with Div mates allows me to make mistakes without being as likely to lose my ship. This gives me more time to battle and learn per match.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
62 posts
5,665 battles

Define "Mastering" a ship? After getting a new ship, I spend six to twelve battles in Co Op to get a feel for the gunnery, and determine which keys do what. I then switch to Random battles to strive for my mastery of the ship. Using placement in Team Score as a measure of "Mastering" a ship, some ships take longer than others. As long as Captain Skills stay stable in the ship you are play, I usually have a good feeling of how my "Mastering" skills have progressed in another twelve Random Battles.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,784 posts
13,602 battles

I used to expect to play 75+ games in a ship to get used to how the ship handles. But after playing a bunch of battles and a lot of different ships the time to get used to a ship greatly reduces. For Instance, there isn't much difference between how the Akizuki plays and how the Kitakaze plays. 

What I'll never get used to is friendly torpedoes from a Shima with 20k torps sinking my YueYang resulting in a Rank Defeat. Or how a Bad Carrier player manages to blow a 200 point lead and 2 cap advantage to lose a Rank Game. But what continues to surprise me is How WG keeps using the terrible star progression system for Rank that only results in bad players screwing captains who are trying to win the game.

#RankSucks 

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,212 battles

I like to play each ship from stock thru elite. I would say mastery is variable depending on the ship and the meta and on my ability to correctly exploit that meta. I tend to keep all the ships. So the learning never really ends.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

@RedSeaBear I am sorry but ranked has never been a good design with the star system.

For this very reason I use ranked for exp and credit grinding only. 

A win in ranked only increases the exp and credits.

With the system as set up you win one lose two. 

The losses Pay well. Once you get to a safe place it doesn't really matter the win loss.

This is the mindset of most ranked players now.

WG has gone off the deep end with tier ten and reward walls.

@Gneisenau013My learning curve of a new ship is non existing because I want none that are available.

I have all the ships I will ever need to play any mode.

WG can't make any must haves without Making them so horribly OP.

This makes WoWs a floor painter stuck in the far corner of the room.

[H_]
Members
700 posts
2 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

439px-HMAS_Australia_bridge.jpg

*pictured - Captain Emile Dechaineaux onboard HMAS Australia during operations near Leyte Gulf in September 1944*

Define "mastering a ship"....  This is the age old video game discussion because no one has ever created a "mastered threshold" because they are afraid of the potential affect those metrics would have on sale and revenue...  Too high and the lower 70% of the game throw up their hands and quit.  Too low, and the top 40% of the game says: "what the use and quit...."

Mastering a ship should have "real value" first and "exceptional value" that distinguished that ship.  It should be the goal of a vehicle based meritocracy....  Right now, I just can't answer the question:  "what is the point of Ranked?"  I've ground two lines of IJN ships and have 19 point Captains with legendary skills and yet, ranked is more about "luck of the draw" than skills.... 

Mastering a ship should be the answer to:  "to what end do we play this game."  Anyone can be a Captain but only a few can be and are "Masters of combat vessels".....  If not, and again, what's the point of the game?  If no one can answer that in empirical terms, then we have an issue because without hard metrics to strive for, the game is just another arcade vehicle based FPS with quasi teams........ 

A good topic and I can't wait to hear what others think....!!!

• Cool 2

Members
1,114 posts
7,254 battles
6 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

As my  number of games has risen, it takes a lot less time to adjust to a new ship.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles

"Master" well to be honest, there's only a small handful of ships that I've actually "mastered".  What I shoot for initially is to be competent, a benefit to my team rather than a detriment.  I generally play each new ship fairly frequently for it's first 10 battles to get a good feel for them. 

[BLHK]
Members
300 posts
3,316 battles

As many have said, depends on situation. Going up the same tech tree, pretty fast. With the French line except for the Saint-Louis, it really felt like the same basic ship with each tier. Saint Louis, never got the hang of her.

Changing nations, usually takes me awhile to get the feel of the gunnery. A good few co-op games before I begin to hit anything other than islands and the stray gull lol