You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlazerSS

Ranked what a joke

66 comments in this topic

[NGA-S]
Members
121 posts
8,747 battles

I have been fighting 10-11-12 since this started,cant get to nine with BBs yolo against their whole team,we have 3 caps and lose..this is so funny..kids go to school.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 4
  • Angry 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,458 posts
5,666 battles

RNGesus giveth, RNGesus taketh. Sometimes you get schoolkids yoloing in their bbs, sometimes you get schoolkids like me that can carry teams.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,159 battles

Are you sure it's the other ships on your team that are the problem?  You're already at the highest rank you've achieved in any season.  Seems like maybe you've settled into a realistic spot.

• Cool 9

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

And yet vast majority of people that do rank out all the way to rank 1 don’t post a single complaint on forums.  Imagine that for a moment.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[NGA-S]
Members
121 posts
8,747 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

And yet vast majority of people that do rank out all the way to rank 1 don’t post a single complaint on forums.  Imagine that for a moment.

well u can go play outside too..imagine that!

• Bad 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,963 posts
6,549 battles

I've found most people are about as good WR wise in ranked as they are in randoms.

So, if you want to get better in ranked, try to win more in randoms.

Otherwise, you can always do the classic "blame the team" thing.

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,159 battles
1 minute ago, BlazerSS said:

and there is the noob that says.^....wow stop posting on forums please.

Noob?  Fine, gloves off:

You are a below average player.  Your win rates and stats in every tier ten ship are pretty miserable.

You have a losing record in every single ranked season. 

Statistically, it's likely that you're one of the worst players on every team you join.

How far do you honestly expect to go, being that bad?  But please, go on blaming everyone else.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 6
  • Bad 1

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

at rank15 bracket?

if you cant singlehandedly 1v7 carry, that is your problem

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Ranked has a lot of anger, most of it from the very worst players on each team. 

It's far more frustrating to hear them start the match complaining than it is to eventually lose it because they were typing instead of sailing. 

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,159 battles
Just now, Captain_Kylere said:

Ranked has a lot of anger, most of it from the very worst players on each team. 

It's far more frustrating to hear them start the match complaining than it is to eventually lose it because they were typing instead of sailing. 

My favorite are the players who declare the match lost in the opening minutes, because we didn't take a cap early on, or we didn't deploy in the arrangement they thought best, and they keep on complaining, even as the red ships start sinking, and it becomes obvious that we're going to win.

• Cool 3

[MIA-A]
Members
1,963 posts
6,549 battles
Just now, Brhinosaurus said:

My favorite are the players who declare the match lost in the opening minutes, because we didn't take a cap early on, or we didn't deploy in the arrangement they thought best, and they keep on complaining, even as the red ships start sinking, and it becomes obvious that we're going to win.

I've found that the best strategy and communication style is to just ignore people who clearly have no idea and aim for the win.

It's surprising how easy self fulfilling losses are in ranked. Or randoms, for that matter.

I managed to get reported yesterday by a div in a random game because I didn't follow their strategy (which was basically yolo'ing and dying) and instead won the game for the team. Meh. You gotta just realize a lot of people aren't capable of being good at this game and not try to reform them.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,934 battles
32 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

RNGesus giveth, RNGesus taketh. Sometimes you get schoolkids yoloing in their bbs, sometimes you get schoolkids like me that can carry teams.

Funny how that works.  You see the complaints when the kids are out of school for the summer, and now we still see the complaints even with the kids back to school.  Go figure.

[SPTR]
Members
3,458 posts
5,666 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Funny how that works.  You see the complaints when the kids are out of school for the summer, and now we still see the complaints even with the kids back to school.  Go figure.

:Smile-_tongue: What's wrong with being a kid in the first place? I kick aft all the same.

This game is not so super complicated that it takes a weathered adult with lots of gaming time to excel in.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,934 battles
Just now, The_first_harbinger said:

:Smile-_tongue: What's wrong with being a kid in the first place? I kick aft all the same.

This game is not so super complicated that it takes a weathered adult with lots of gaming time to excel in.

Nothing at all.  I was just trying to point out that there are the same complaints lobbed at school kids regardless of whether its summer time or not.  Last I checked, there are plenty of adults who are pure spud potatoes as well. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3

[SPTR]
Members
3,458 posts
5,666 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Nothing at all.  I was just trying to point out that there are the same complaints lobbed at school kids regardless of whether its summer time or not.  Last I checked, there are plenty of adults who are pure spud potatoes as well. :Smile_teethhappy:

As long as people want to whine about their teams they can pretty much make all sorts of claims for all sorts of reasons.

They probably should worry more about why they didn't win, how can that not happen, or at least why some other "kid" kept his/her star while they did not.

• Cool 1

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
14 minutes ago, BlazerSS said:

and there is the noob that says.^....wow stop posting on forums please.

He spoke the truth and you got spooked? The skill wall is real and people fail to realise it. I have experienced it during my last ranked at rank 7-8 and had to correct a lot of mistakes to get out of it. It took me around 450 games to rank out because I was stupidly repeating the same mistakes over and again. Also I farmed a lot of damage in my Hindy always trying to save a start. This ranked I am playing Zao exclusively and supporting my DDs with my good concealment, drawing fire on the flanks from 4-5 ships. Trying to win I am doing good with over 61% WR though my damage is very low because I have not been farming. I stay at almost 4-5 kms from my DDs in the mid of the map at the start and flank to draw enemy fire during the mid game. Blame no one but yourself. The teams are as good as you are and matches that I have lost are mostly because of me potatoing or experimenting on things. 

PS- I agree that there are few potatoes who have sat behind rocks and farmed damage in their Yammy to save a star which has got me salty.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,771 posts
12,878 battles

Here's a way to think of ranked.  Look at your Random win percentage.  Convert that to a ratio relative to one.  That is a good measure of  how many games one must play to net ONE star.  ONE!!!!

Take me for instance, with my 55% WR.  Converting to a ratio, that is 10:1.   That means I've got to play TEN games to net one star.  Sure, I have streaks where I get two or three stars in row.  But those are balanced against streaks the other way.  It's that base ratio that counts.  The NET win rate.

Now, that is somewhat conservative, as there are those times I don't lose a star when I top out.  A rule of thumb is to assume one is playing with equals.  So one in 7 is a non loss.  Divide the ratio number by 7....and subtract the result.  In my case, it's 10/7, let's round to 1.  

For every 9 games I play, i can expect to advance ONE star.  

Even this is somewhat conservative, because you can get bonus stars over and over again if you fall back a rank and then push forward again.  So until the bonus stars cease (at 10 this season?), you get a little push to help when you get several losses in a row and drop back a rank.  Ironically, you advance faster if your wins/losses clump because dropping a rank nets you a bonus star when you rank up again.  Not to mention hitting unrevocable walls.

If you play rank you MUST take the LONG TERM view.  Don't think about the past ten or twenty games.  Think HUNDREDS. 

Caveat:  The above approach works for the vast majority of players.  It becomes problematic for low percentage players, and is way conservative of unicum players.  A low percentage player will have a negative ratio.  They rely on unrevocable walls, and bonus stars.  They can get to 15 with some effort, and even 12 with a lot of work.  Unicum players will gain most in the top out category.  A 60% player who can top out half the time will have a base ratio of 5:1, with an adjusted ratio of 3:1.  Hence, my 55% normal guy has to play eight or nine games to net 1 whereas unicum only has to play two or three.

Again...you gotta think LONG TERM in ranked.  Anything else, as OP noted...is a joke...so to speak.   

Edit:  Corrected for errors as noted by other members below.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
Corrected for errors as noted by other members below
  • Cool 3

[TF-62]
Members
19 posts

My only gripe is I wish there was a better tactician screen where we can pre-plan a battle before we go into battle. Like some sort of lobby or something. It could also reduce those AFK as requiring everyone to hit "ready" before going into battle

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
8 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Here's a way to think of ranked.  Look at your Random win percentage.  Convert that to a ratio relative to one.  That is a good measure of  how many games one must play to net ONE star.  ONE!!!!

Take me for instance, with my 55% WR.  Converting to a ratio, that is 20:1.   That means I've got to play TWENTY games to net one star.  Sure, I have streaks where I get two or three stars in row.  But those are balanced against streaks the other way.  It's that base ratio that counts.  The NET win rate.

Now, that is somewhat conservative, as there is those times I don't lose a star when I top out.  A rule of thumb is to assume one is playing with equals.  So in one in 7 is a non loss.  Divide the ratio number by 7....and subtract the result.  In my case, it's 20/7, which is close to 3.  

For every 17 games I play, i can expect to advance ONE star.  

Even this is somewhat conservative, because you can get bonus starts over and over again if you fall back a rank and then push forward again.  So until the bonus stars cease (at 10 this season?), you get a little push to help when you get several losses in a row and drop back a rank.  Ironically, you advance faster if your wins/losses clump because dropping a rank nets you a bonus star when you rank up again.  Not to mention hitting unrevocable walls.

If you play rank you MUST take the LONG TERM view.  Don't think about the past ten or twenty games.  Think HUNDREDS. 

Caveat:  The above approach works for the vast majority of players.  It becomes problematic for low percentage players, and is way conservative of unicum players.  A low percentage player will have a negative ratio.  They rely on unrevocable walls, and bonus stars.  They can get to 15 with some effort, and even 12 with a lot of work.  Unicum players will gain most in the top out category.  A 60% player who can top out half the time will have a base ratio of 10:1, with an adjusted ratio of 5:1.  Hence, my 55% normal guy has to play 17 games to net 1 whereas unicum only has to play 5.

Again...you gotta think LONG TERM in ranked.  Anything else, as OP noted...is a joke...so to speak.   

nah, you simply cant generalize "ranked"

r5 bracket, r10 bracket, r15 bracket are 3 different things, 3 very different things

in r15 bracket i lost 5 games in total, except my first game( the game in the garbage called stalingrad) i never lost a star

in r10 bracket i can still manage to maintain a 60% win rate with games where my XP is ~500 more than 2nd place on team being very common

last night i went up to r5 six times and fell right back down to r6 six times, of these 6 times there's only once i failed to go right back up to r5.

no im not sure if there's an element of pure luck in my experience last night, but the feeling is pretty strong, it's a whole new level of gameplay from 6 to 5. i can see a lot of players with stable 55~60% WR in r10 bracket struggle to keep 50% in r5

(that was exactly me last night)

Edited by jason199506
  • Boring 1

[MVKS]
Beta Testers
167 posts
989 battles
2 minutes ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

You've still got a month to go, but remember, there is only one constant in all your games.

You can be the best player in the world, but you can not carry 5 crappers.

[BOTES]
Members
124 posts
3,108 battles
Just now, ph3l0n said:

You can be the best player in the world, but you can not carry 5 crappers.

Then you save a star and move on? Ranked is set up so that people with questionable play can just grind their way to rank 1 if they wish.

Beta Testers
601 posts

Are you having fun?

One of the worst issues with ranked (the game itself for that matter) are people’s attitudes. And this isn’t just kids, quite obviously.   But it does seem to be worse in Ranked battles, I suppose because people feel they have so much more to lose.  There is a lot of yelling, and I’m talking mean nasty garbage talk, especially from the dead idiots who can’t keep their dead mouths shut.  Armchair Admirals everywhere.  There’s almost nothing worse than a dead armchair admiral with an attitude.  I’ve been in several of these where some guy is going on and on about whatever.  And it’s never their fault, and they always died in vain.   That’s one of the reasons why I rarely play ranked.

But I’ve also seen players offering encouragement, even after they have died.  There are some very nice and affable people.   And isn’t that when it’s the most fun?

There are definitely a lot of very spoiled punks and primadonna jerks littering this game. And on the boards as well.  Just try and post something, not just opinion but factual, and you either get some smart alec insult or some overt (or veiled) political reference.   Stat-shaming, how original.  Then the insults start flying back-and-forth and within a few messages it has spiraled out of control. Yet another example right here. 

Im sure there are plenty of kids that play very well in this game.  Born to computers, second nature, yada yada.  

To me I just feel like people should lighten up and remember it’s a GAME.  It’s just a game. (Spiraling wheel) it’s just a game, it’s just a game.  You can be intense, you can love how you play, be passionate, be in the moment.  That’s great!  You are a master, that’s great!  Do your best, but if it isn’t FUN, Delete and move on.  After all, it’s just a game.  It’s just a game.  It’s not real life, it’s a game.

Disclaimer, I’m joking with the wheel!

B409A665-B117-41D4-8C4D-E71257067601.gif

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction
  • Cool 2

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,159 battles
12 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

r5 bracket, r10 bracket, r15 bracket are 3 different things, 3 very different things

The thing to keep in mind is that people are continuing to filter down.  When I first hit rank 10 a few days into the season, I was usually one of the worst players on my team.  The teams were filled with top level players with 60%+ win rates.  

After a couple more days rank 10 play was a lot more of a mix of great players, good players, okay players, and bad players on winning streaks.  I powered through to rank 5, and was once again one of the worst players on the teams I found there.  

Now a few more days have passed and rank 5 is a very mixed bag of top tier players all the way down to very average players.  More and more of those top players are going to be ranking out in the coming days, and for a good but not great player like me, I can expect the competition to come down closer to my skill level. At that point I expect to be able to make progress and rank out myself, but I guess we'll see.

Edited by Brhinosaurus

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,336 posts
3,646 battles
1 hour ago, BlazerSS said:

I have been fighting 10-11-12 since this started,cant get to nine with BBs yolo against their whole team,we have 3 caps and lose..this is so funny..kids go to school.

Blazer, take a break and grab a snickers.

• Funny 1