You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

Farazellath explains CV rework, to a puppy

16 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,505 posts
6,666 battles

CV rework explained to a puppy

moan, grumble, rts, idiots, rant, tear hair out, bite finger nails, dumbing down, lies and fake news, winter is coming, puppies, etc ...

Spoiler

(joking of course- this is well worth watching, an important opinion to be listened to and respected, take your time, the  video is quite long).

summary here :

Part 1/2

1. Fara reviews the official WG dev arguments in favour of the rework
  2. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater or why dump ALL the rts because of fixable solutions?
  3. Some of the individual solutions, brought by WG's rework, are interesting and welcome, such as AA and individual plane hp.
  4. WG complains about problems with CV gamplay, but Fara argues, WG is reponsible for both creating, and not solving those problems, within the current RTS setup.
  5. Cute puppy at 14 minute mark
  6. The new FPS cv playstyle does look good
  7. WG lacks the expertise to address and resolve problems with RTS gameplay.
  8. Is Fara unhappy with rework? Yes, because he has invested so much time and energy in RTS gameplay.
  9. Middle finger to WG.Follow up, part 2 video, will spend time reviewing in detail, the new reworked CV gameplay.

Part 2/2

1. Fara reviews the newly proposed gameplay
  2. 1st criticism : we can only control a single squadron, we cannot even control our ship (the carrier) except via waypoints
  3. Visually looks fantastic, but why only a single squadron? Total War Arena (also a WG game) is an RTS that allows a maximum of 3 groups.
  4. Ship control, waypoints are clumsy, making torp dodging difficult, proper angling to deflect incoming shells, navigating through islands is hazardous with waypoints. For Fara, moving direct ship control is, "absolutely unacceptable". If a CV is beached, how does it unbeach without direct control?
  5. Expression of doubt about the skill required to hit moving, dodging ships, with the new proposed mechanic (the rework video only shows non moving, undefended, ships.)
  6. Ships with poor manouvrability (such as Yamato) will suffer increased dmg from dmg over time (especially flooding) because of dmg stacking, and the 4 strikes per squadron wave.
  7. Will we (CVs) be able to choose our loadouts, torpedos and/or dive bombs?
  8. The proposed lack of plane reserves / unlimited planes, no more deplaning, is a dumbing down. But it would be more fun. But too, if planes are unlimited, why care about losing planes? 
  9. Inability to control return path of planes, will make CVs more vulnerable as it will give away CV position.
  10. Inability to properly direct fighters in support of team, to oppose enemy cv bombers, will undermine teamwork. A big concern, if CVs cannot support their own team in a defensive manner.
  11. AA: the new AA rework will allow for perm spotting, and will reduce the value of friendly AA covering vulnerable ships (Worcester covering a Shimakaze, for example), because AA will become directional, and avoidable.
  12. No altitude control, apparantly.
  13. On a positive note, the new plane focussed gameplay, will allow new ways of balancing tech trees. USN vs IJN, balancing, for example, might put more emphasis on plane characteristics than carrier stats. Special consumeables might become available for planes. (speculation : hp restore, speed boost...)  
  14. Fara is certain that a RN british carrier tech tree will be a core part of the rework.
  15. No puppies

I have probably missed stuff, but this should summarize the majority of points made.

@farazelleth

UPDATED.

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
12,610 battles

Fara has an amazing grasp on the current Carrier system and the problems that plague it.

The problem with "fixing" Carriers is that there's just too much that needs to be reworked... what isn't unbalanced is outright broken, everything is un-intuitive and the UI is  riddled with wonky omissions and bugs. Even if the current system worked perfectly... without any glitches and it was easy to learn for new players and the manual attacks were reworked to fix the skill ceiling problems... the plane to AA balancing would still be completely broken and there's no way to re-balance it unless you flatten AA damage and plane health across the board. It would be such a huge undertaking, no wonder they had to rebuild from the ground up.

As an average to good carrier player with the current system.... I don't hate it, but it is undoubtedly frustrating all the time. I am looking forward to the rework, what we've seen so far looks promising, but they absolutely need to allow first person control of the Carrier.

• Cool 1

Members
506 posts
2,831 battles

Hopefully they address the role of the actual CV soon. As it stands there doesn't seem to be much purpose in them.

Unlimited planes, preset strike wings, autopilot only. Takes away most of the gains from advancement up the tiers if the only difference is the planes.

Members
1,870 posts
5,656 battles
15 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

sounds like you're not the only disappointed one. 

I'd imagine most of the current CV playerbase are quite disappointed with the changes, while the CV haters who desire their removal from the game are jumping with joy.

Edited by Avenge_December_7

[BLUE_]
Members
26 posts
6,177 battles
7 hours ago, Antonius_Jones said:

Fara has an amazing grasp on the current Carrier system and the problems that plague it.

The problem with "fixing" Carriers is that there's just too much that needs to be reworked... what isn't unbalanced is outright broken, everything is un-intuitive and the UI is  riddled with wonky omissions and bugs. Even if the current system worked perfectly... without any glitches and it was easy to learn for new players and the manual attacks were reworked to fix the skill ceiling problems... the plane to AA balancing would still be completely broken and there's no way to re-balance it unless you flatten AA damage and plane health across the board. It would be such a huge undertaking, no wonder they had to rebuild from the ground up.

As an average to good carrier player with the current system.... I don't hate it, but it is undoubtedly frustrating all the time. I am looking forward to the rework, what we've seen so far looks promising, but they absolutely need to allow first person control of the Carrier.

Totally agree with above, and I think WG is intending to let you control the CV.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles
5 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I'd imagine most of the current CV playerbase are quite disappointed with the changes, while the CV haters who desire their removal from the game are jumping with joy.

They'll just continue to demand their removal.

Members
506 posts
2,831 battles
24 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Most of the people demanding removal are just bad players looking for excuses. If CVs are declawed they'll still continue to blame them for being bad or move on to something else like "fires op".

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles
3 hours ago, ksix said:

Most of the people demanding removal are just bad players looking for excuses. If CVs are declawed they'll still continue to blame them for being bad or move on to something else like "fires op".

Oh yeah... while there is issues with the class, Its been overblown by the loudest whiners...

Spoiler

untitled.png.345395844ed30aac8f212a967a7b6b49.png

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake

Members
0 posts
21 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

@Minah_Bang, sounds like you're not the only disappointed one. 

They Attacked my beloved IJN DDs then all DDs.  They may well be attacking CVs next!?  I will hold judgement until I see what has come to pass as the CV rework....

If they wanted just big guns blasting each other, why not make WoW from ships during WW1?  No CVs and no DDs like those in WW2.

• Cool 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,505 posts
6,666 battles
38 minutes ago, Minah_Bang said:

They Attacked my beloved IJN DDs then all DDs.  They may well be attacking CVs next!?  I will hold judgement until I see what has come to pass as the CV rework....

If they wanted just big guns blasting each other, why not make WoW from ships during WW1?  No CVs and no DDs like those in WW2.

Good point, you may be one of the first to say this. If not, still, too rarely asserted/

[LWS]
[LWS]
Members
61 posts
6,693 battles

Sadly Farazellath is correct in his "rant", regarding the "watering down" of planning / thinking involved to be effective with a CV.

In my opinion, the shown version ( hopefully is not a final version ) requires less cognitive capacity then either current tier 4 / 5 CVs, 203 Graf Zeppelin, 301 Saipan, or any of the Royal Navy Battleships. Which in turn becomes a "point and click adventure" with "limited WASD hacks". ( dive bombing with no altitude control, no ability to gain altitude to avoid "some" AA fire, might as well be "Duck Hunt on rails"... having flashbacks to BF3 campaign... )

There will be no concept of "Flight Deck management" prioritizing strike over CAP. ( Battle of Midway? )
No concept of "Airspace De-confliction"  you will only have one squadron in the air over target anyway ( on a plus side you won't be able to "stack" 12 torpedoes or 14~15 bombs on target in one strike like it can be done now )
No "Historical / National flavor", "Vic formation" for everyone, aka "V-formation" or "3-ship". (as of demo version)

So basically the current arcade "Bravo Sierra" mechanics are being replaced by even more arcade "Bravo Sierra" mechanics, like "summon fighters", etc. ( 2017 year of CV, 2018 year of CV Re-work, 2019 year of CV removal?)

(Please forgive me if I sound "salty", that is because I am taking a break from "Ranked" and "Quality Ship posting" on the forums)

Edited by Sammy_Small
Censorship correction.
  • Cool 1